Reba Team v. LEFTY 29'ER CARBON SL w/DLR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Reba Team v. LEFTY 29'ER CARBON SL w/DLR

I'm really thinking of making the switch from my Reba Team, to the Lefty. A big reason is the 1.3lbs I'll drop,plus, I've demoed several different C'dales with the Lefties and absolutely loved them. My question is, I understand the 29r Lefty will only have 80mm of travel. Has anyone run both the Team or the Fox equivalent and then gone to the Lefty and noticed a big difference as a result of the lost travel?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    You could always go to a Lefty Carbon Max 130 PBR and still have your 100mm of travel That's what I did anyway...

Freelance Whatever
    You should ask TunicaTrails. He slapped a Lefty on a Dos Niner and seems to love it. I've been thinking about that as my Reba set at 100 seems a little noodly on my Dos and I too have played with the Lefty and seems like a nice solution to the flexy front end. Let us know how it works out!
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm 140mm--->110mm

Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    You could always go to a Lefty Carbon Max 130 PBR and still have your 100mm of travel That's what I did anyway...
    Or the Lefty Carbon Max 140 PBR and still have 110mm of travel...either way, Lefty is the right way to go IMO.

likes to ride bikes
    Good points on getting the PBRs for 100mm or better of travel. If you're an XC racer, 80mm is probably what you're going to want for fast cornering and quicker climbing (I have a Speed Carbon 110 converted to 80mm). If you're into AM, or just long rides, you may want more travel.

The through-axle stiffness benefits of the Lefty are something that you get with the deal, too. Before I used a Reba Team 120mm maxle with plenty of sag. The Reba Team's a great fork. I wouldn't use the standard QR on 29ers, too much flex.

I recommend MendonCyclesmith for Lefty rebuilds and 29er spacer conversion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Good points on getting the PBRs for 100mm or better of travel. If you're an XC racer, 80mm is probably what you're going to want for fast cornering and quicker climbing (I have a Speed Carbon 110 converted to 80mm). If you're into AM, or just long rides, you may want more travel.

The through-axle stiffness benefits of the Lefty are something that you get with the deal, too. Before I used a Reba Team 120mm maxle with plenty of sag. The Reba Team's a great fork. I wouldn't use the standard QR on 29ers, too much flex.

I recommend MendonCyclesmith for Lefty rebuilds and 29er spacer conversion.

ARe the PBRs or the Carbon SL going to change the geometry of the bike versus the Reba Team 100MM I have on it? Also, what's the story on the standard QR? I think that's what I have now. Keep in mind, i'm a fairly light 150lbs, give or take, does that matter?

likes to ride bikes
    I would think that a 130mm Lefty reduced to 100mm of travel for a 29er would be very close to the geometry you have now on your bike. A 110mm Lefty reduced to 80mm would probably lower the stance of your bike and steer a little quicker.

If you weigh 150lbs and don't notice wheel flex with a quick-release, nothing lost, nothing gained. On the flip side a Lefty can be very light and yet it comes with a very stiff axle. I weigh 177.

I'll be honest with you, I really liked how the Reba Team descended, it was very plush down some big nasty descents. I think it's a great fork too, but I needed something a little lighter and quicker in the corners.

As I got a little more skilled on the bike I was able to forgo a little more travel and put my old Scalpel's racing fork on, which I'm glad I kept around and didn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    ARe the PBRs or the Carbon SL going to change the geometry of the bike versus the Reba Team 100MM I have on it? Also, what's the story on the standard QR? I think that's what I have now. Keep in mind, i'm a fairly light 150lbs, give or take, does that matter?

mtbr member
    I think the 80mm Lefty is ~10mm shorter axle-to-crown than an 80mm Reba, so it will steer a bunch quicker than your 100mm Reba setup and drop the bottom bracket a good bit. The longer Lefty's are closer in height to your current fork

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My 110 mm Lefty (reduced to 80 mm) has 478 mm A-C...works very well...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The 130 PBR that I have is 500mm axle to crown. Try to find out what your current fork is then choose a Lefty that is close so you don't throw off the handling of the bike. I've heard a few people say that an 80mm Lefty rides like a 100mm "insert name here" simply because of the smoothness and damping. I used to ride an 80mm Lefty on my old CDale 29er and I never had bottoming out issues. I wouldn't get hung up on how much travel you're going to get and worry more about keeping your bike in acceptable geometry parameters There's 110mm, 130mm and 140mm Leftys out there to choose from so I'm sure you can find something to suit...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    All, thanks so much for the input!! You've been immeasurably helpful!! I let you know what I go with and post pictures and a ride report.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Remember, if you have any technical questions, message Craig at MendonCycle and he'll point you in the right direction

ballbuster

What is the Lefty offset?

Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    My 110 mm Lefty (reduced to 80 mm) has 478 mm A-C...works very well...

IIRC, Old REbas (2008 and earlier) are 38mm, new Rebas are 45mm... what about Lefty?

I really like the idea of a Lefty. If I had the cash to blow, I would probably do it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Lefty!!!

So what's the deal with resetting the races on Lefties? Sounds like a potential PITA. Some folks bring up the issue and make it seem real and something you have to deal with often. Other riders act like they've never even heard of the issue.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What is the cost approx of a carbon lefty?

ballbuster

Metric...

Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    What is the cost approx of a carbon lefty?
    ... buttloads of cash. Prolly in the $800 range for a used one, FWIU. Could be wrong, but IIRC it was stupid high like that.

Then add in the project 321 adapter (or the c'dale adapter once they start selling those) and custom building a front lefty wheel to go with it.

likes to ride bikes
    That's pretty accurate. I bought mine used for $650 and rode it for a season. It needed lots of work which tallied up to over $200 once I'd pulled it back out of the shop and decided to put it on. Normal yearly maintenance is not going to be nearly that expensive, and you can keep a Lefty for years.

The Lefty Speed Carbon is top of the line and weighs less than 3 pounds. You can get a really light Lefty of another model for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... buttloads of cash. Prolly in the $800 range for a used one, FWIU. Could be wrong, but IIRC it was stupid high like that.

Then add in the project 321 adapter (or the c'dale adapter once they start selling those) and custom building a front lefty wheel to go with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Spoke to C'dale today and they said the 2011 Lefty C will come in 100mm. Don't know when they would be available.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I believe Leftys are 46mm offset...

The race reset seems to be an issue that's been somewhat resolved on the newer Lefty models. My 09 PBR has been flawless but IF the time comes for a reset, I'm not scared of it. Craig at MendonCycle talked me through installing my own travel spacers and the race reset is pretty much the same steps. It's REALLY easy and no big deal but if you're the type that likes to drop the bike off at the mechanic every issue you have, a Lefty might not be for you. If you're a tinker like me, and do all your own maintenance, the Lefty is actually a really simple piece to work on.

All forks will have their own maintenance and quarky issues so don't let it scare you away. The pluses of the Lefty FAR outweigh the negatives

I bought my BRAND NEW Carbon Max 130 PBR for $900 off Ebay with free shipping

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Lefty!!!

So what's the deal with resetting the races on Lefties? Sounds like a potential PITA. Some folks bring up the issue and make it seem real and something you have to deal with often. Other riders act like they've never even heard of the issue.
    Its a bearing reset, once you learn how to do it and do it a couple times a year it isnt so bad. If you do it enough, you can get pretty quick at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I switched from a Reba Race to a new Carbon Lefty 29er with DLR at 2.6 pounds!

Super light and incredibly smooth. I got a Project 321 hub with ceramic bearings and Stan's Crest rim built with DT Revolution spokes. I'm 145 pounds.

The only downside for me is that the bonded clamps increased my stack height and I had to swap from a Thomson 0 degree stem to a 10 degree flipped down to get the bar lower and back towards the sweet spot. I may still consider going to a flat bar too to make it even lower. Not shown with new stem.

NO regrets on the change. The bike flies like the wind. Faster and better than ever!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba Team v. LEFTY 29'ER CARBON SL w/DLR-rocky-29er-lefty-smaller.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by creationrebel
    I switched from a Reba Race to a new Carbon Lefty 29er with DLR at 2.6 pounds!

Super light and incredibly smooth. I got a Project 321 hub with ceramic bearings and Stan's Crest rim built with DT Revolution spokes. I'm 145 pounds.

The only downside for me is that the bonded clamps increased my stack height and I had to swap from a Thomson 0 degree stem to a 10 degree flipped down to get the bar lower and back towards the sweet spot. I may still consider going to a flat bar too to make it even lower. Not shown with new stem.

NO regrets on the change. The bike flies like the wind. Faster and better than ever!
    Cool! I took my Pivot 429 to the local C'Dale dealer. They informed that if I went with the Carbon Lefty SL 29r at 80mm, the front end would drop about an inch making the ride very twitchy. I'm definitely not into that. The other option would be going with the 140 or 130 Carbon PBR, which would leave the geometry about the same as it presently is, also affording me the same amount of travel I currently have with my Reba Team. I'm pretty sure that is the route I'm going to take.

Naturally Organic

Lefty 429

Cool! I took my Pivot 429 to the local C'Dale dealer. They informed that if I went with the Carbon Lefty SL 29r at 80mm, the front end would drop about an inch making the ride very twitchy. I'm definitely not into that. The other option would be going with the 140 or 130 Carbon PBR, which would leave the geometry about the same as it presently is, also affording me the same amount of travel I currently have with my Reba Team. I'm pretty sure that is the route I'm going to take.
    Do a forum search for lefty 429. You will come across some threads similar to what you are thinking. Check out ubermach429, very nicely done. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Don't forget, there's also a 120mm travel (~90mm usable for 29er) Lefty Ultra, which has an axle-crown height of 490mm, just a few mm taller than an 80mm Reba 29er. You get the PBR damper with pop-top lockout, and it weighs 2.75lbs. I'm putting one on my Singular Pegasus in a week or two :-). The Ultras do appear to be rather like hens teeth at the moment though.

Oh, and depending on the height of your head tube, it's likely that you'll raise your bars as a result of the bonded Lefty clamps. It took me weeks to decide precisely which lefty would suit the bike best. Keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right choice!

Keep on Rockin...
    We need a dedicated 29er Lefty thread that is posted. Can someone make that happen?

Besides that, when Lefty weights are posted, does it include all the hardware? Like the steerer tube and the clamps?

ADIDAB
    For anyone interested in Lefty's check out the Cannondale forum as there's a stack of information on conversions, maintenance etc. Well worth a look.

I have an 09 Alloy PBR I converted from 130mm to 100mm and it's a pretty easy job. I was a little worried about messing it up but my fears were unfounded. It took all of 15min and I took my time...

For those interested go here for Lefty mechanical information.

The FAQ's also has a lot of useful information.

A search of the Cannondale forum with the keywords Lefty 29er revealed this.

MendonCycleSmith is definitely 'da man' for any technical Lefty related questions...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Naturally Organic

Yes & No

We need a dedicated 29er Lefty thread that is posted. Can someone make that happen?

Besides that, when Lefty weights are posted, does it include all the hardware? Like the steerer tube and the clamps?
    The C'Dale posted lefty weight includes their steerer & clamps (~140g) for the C'Dale head tube. The C'Dale Lefty For All steerer adapter is ~220g (includes clamps). The Project321 steerer adapter is 160g (clamps included). Therefore a Lefty Max Carbon 140 PBR that has a weight of 2.83# (1284g) minus 140g plus 160g equals 1304g (2.87#)...

mtbr member
    What is the spacing between clamps on the 140mm Lefty? I once rode a 130 Max and am getting the itch to go lefty again.

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    What is the spacing between clamps on the 140mm Lefty? I once rode a 130 Max and am getting the itch to go lefty again.
    137mm IIRC... I think the XL Lefty have a 163mm spacing...

Did I catch a niner+?

Get a Lefty they're amazing. I'll admit I've only ridden on RS Tora and a Fox Talas once but I definitely like my Lefty over all.

What I've noticed on the two other forks is a lot of resistance when suspension is needed, like there is too much air in it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_N
    For anyone interested in Lefty's check out the Cannondale forum as there's a stack of information on conversions, maintenance etc. Well worth a look.

I have an 09 Alloy PBR I converted from 130mm to 100mm and it's a pretty easy job. I was a little worried about messing it up but my fears were unfounded. It took all of 15min and I took my time...

For those interested go here for Lefty mechanical information.

The FAQ's also has a lot of useful information.

A search of the Cannondale forum with the keywords Lefty 29er revealed this.

MendonCycleSmith is definitely 'da man' for any technical Lefty related questions...
    Would someone with Lefty knowledge take a look at this listing on eBay and let me know if it is what it purports to be? The 140 PBR on the website shows it to be in green, and this one is white. Here is the ebay listing number: 120611344123

Thanks a million!!!

mtbr member
    1+.

Would someone with Lefty knowledge take a look at this listing on eBay and let me know if it is what it purports to be? The 140 PBR on the website shows it to be in green, and this one is white. Here is the ebay listing number: 120611344123

Thanks a million!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    1+.
    ?????

mtbr member
    The retail Max forks aren't actually green, despite what the website shows.

mtbr member
    Should have said +1 (meaning me too). Dont make me out bid you!

?????

Rider and Wrench
    I have always been intrigued by the lefty's and for the right application they look like a great option-

It seems if you can get away with 110mm travel or less on a 29er your good to go especially if you don't mind spending the cash and want it as light as possible. Most comparisons (even by cdale) compare them to "traditional forks" aka QR... 1 & 1/8 steerer...which they seem to be stiffer than- what about compared to a 15mm or 20mm T/A or adding in a tapered fork. Obviously your talking more weight but how do they compare in terms of stiffness? Can anyone offer some insight?
    I Just wish I could ride more!

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalhead
    The retail Max forks aren't actually green, despite what the website shows.
    I think you'll find that the Lefty's that are sold with bikes are green (to match) and aftermarket ones are white...

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I have always been intrigued by the lefty's and for the right application they look like a great option-

It seems if you can get away with 110mm travel or less on a 29er your good to go especially if you don't mind spending the cash and want it as light as possible. Most comparisons (even by cdale) compare them to "traditional forks" aka QR... 1 & 1/8 steerer...which they seem to be stiffer than- what about compared to a 15mm or 20mm T/A or adding in a tapered fork. Obviously your talking more weight but how do they compare in terms of stiffness? Can anyone offer some insight?
    Don't know exact numbers but check out youtube (use keywords Cannondale Lefty) for a clip where one of the sales managers hangs off a Lefty fork and is still able to move the fork in and out... Think that speaks volumes...

Can't compare to other forks but all I can say about the Lefty is that it is certainly up to the task. I'm a big guy at 90kgs+ and can feel no flex or deflection in corners...

mtbr member
    I think you'll find that the Lefty's that are sold with bikes are green (to match) and aftermarket ones are white...
    yep that's what I mean...you order a Lefty, it won't be green. I'm not including ones sold with bikes as clearly that isn't relevant here.

What is the spacing between clamps on the 140mm Lefty?
    In my discussions with Jake @ Project321 he mentioned the max stack height was 138mm.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'm interested in a Lefty set at 80mm for my Dos Niner and would like to keep close to the same A-C as a Reba set at 80mm. I'm a total Lefty newbie so am not familiar with the different models but a lighter weight carbon-type Lefty would seem ideal.

I wouldn't even know what to look for on ebay or how else to go about finding one. Any advice?

Naturally Organic

80mm --> 90mm

I'm interested in a Lefty set at 80mm for my Dos Niner and would like to keep close to the same A-C as a Reba set at 80mm. I'm a total Lefty newbie so am not familiar with the different models but a lighter weight carbon-type Lefty would seem ideal.

I wouldn't even know what to look for on ebay or how else to go about finding one. Any advice?
    The current 29er Lefty is an 80mm. The 2011 29er Lefty is going to be 90mm. I believe these are stock C'Dale 110mm & 120mm Lefties that C'Dale has put spacers in to reduce travel...all you would need is one of these and a Project 321 steerer tube adapter with the correct headset & spacers for your frame and voilą...Happy Trails!

mtbr member

Well the axle-crown of a 2010 80mm Reba 29er is 486mm. A 110mm travel (2010 Speed model) Lefty is 480mm. This will remain unchanged when you reduce the travel by 30mm for 29er use (changing travel on a Lefty doesn't alter the A-C). Alternatively, a 120mm travel Lefty Ultra has a 490mm A-C.

It's up to you whether those few mm will make any difference. Also remember that the stack height is an issue...depending on your head tube length, you may need to play around with stem rise (maybe negative) to get your bars at an acceptable height. Remember to account for sag in your calculations if your frame is designed around a rigid fork (I almost made that mistake!)

mtbr member
    I've just managed to get my hands on a brand new Lefty Speed w/DLR and plan on replacing my Reba Team on my 1x9 Scandal with it.

Ordered the conversion kit from Project321 as well as one of their Lefty Hubs which I'll build onto a Velocity Blunt. Should be sweet once I've finished and I'll post some pics.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The TEAM models on their $10,000 bikes are green. All others are white, silver or black. To those doubting how stiff they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDuAE8HdX4

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It sounds that you might as well buy a whole C'dale bike if you want one.
    Do they have a raceable aluminum -carbon lefty-model that is not too heavy?

Rider and Wrench
    The TEAM models on their $10,000 bikes are green. All others are white, silver or black. To those doubting how stiff they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDuAE8HdX4

While I am not doubting the lefty is stiff and the video seems to illistrate that they are smooth even under load... but I can't help thinking a cdale marketing video might be a bit biased on this topic?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    While I am not doubting the lefty is stiff and the video seems to illistrate that they are smooth even under load... but I can't help thinking a cdale marketing video might be a bit biased on this topic?
    Well, go put YOUR 2.6lb fork in a vice and bounce on it. When you get out of your coma let us know how it went

Naturally Organic

2.6#?

Well, go put YOUR 2.6lb fork in a vice and bounce on it. When you get out of your coma let us know how it went
    Don't try that on a 4-5# Fork w/ 28-32mm Stanchions (RS, Fox, Mani, Zoch, White Bros., DT-Swiss, et al.)!!! Not sure how a 35-40mm Stanch. Dually Fork would hold up...any video?

Rider and Wrench
    What does a 2.6lb fork have to do with it? You don't find a marketing video by the company that is selling a product an ironic place to get unbiased info? As I said I am not doubting the lefty it has a lot of attributes so don't get your feathers too ruffled-

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Paid spam. New Lefty DLR 29 Carbon fork
    I'm ready to make a deal!

[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman
    Paid spam. New Lefty DLR 29 Carbon fork
    I'm ready to make a deal!
    email me

[email protected]
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

High Alpine Adventure
    I went Lefty a month or so back. Came off a 2010 Reba Team 29er. Previously ran a Fox 29er. The Lefty is without a doubt much stiffer both laterally and directionally. You can read the whole review here....

http://dugdagoat.blogspot.com/2010/0...-liked-it.html

I'm in the process of putting a Max 130 on a Titus Racer-X 29er. I'll let ya know how that goes....

You're making the right decision in my book!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 09-25-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Cars Are Evil
    Your fork must be pretty wet from all the dampening

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Your fork must be pretty wet from all the dampening
    And I suppose THIS makes YOU smart?

From Cycle Dynamics 101... course maybe you didn't study Mechanical Engineering in college....

"DAMPING: Dampening simply means a shock is being slowed in it's upward or downward travel by a force other than the main spring system. Dampening a shock's movement can really change a bicycle's behavior.Dampeners for the most part use an oil sent through a tiny valve deep inside the shock to control how fast the shock is allowed to move. In rebound dampening, the return movement of the shock is affected. In the compression stage, the downward stroke of the shock is affected. Many shocks use a inert gas like Nitrogen to compress the oil or send the shock back up so it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to open the shock up yourself. Shocks use dampening to change how a bike responds over a given terrain. Many single pivot designs like the Gary Fisher Level Betty and F series really benefit from dampening- especially compression. There are high-end shocks that allow the user infinite adjustability for the compression, including locking out the shocks downward movement- in effect turning a full suspension into a hard tail."

damp·en (dmpn)
    v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens
    v.tr.
    1. To make damp.
    2. To deaden, restrain, or depress:

So, please understand that DAMPING and DAMPENING can be used interchangably... hope that helps YOU!!!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 09-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I went Lefty a month or so back. Came off a 2010 Reba Team 29er. Previously ran a Fox 29er. The Lefty is without a doubt much stiffer both laterally and directionally. You can read the whole review here....

http://dugdagoat.blogspot.com/2010/0...-liked-it.html

I'm in the process of putting a Max 130 on a Titus Racer-X 29er. I'll let ya know how that goes....

You're making the right decision in my book!
    The 429 is up an running with the lefty. It absolutely rocks!!

High Alpine Adventure
    The 429 is up an running with the lefty. It absolutely rocks!!
    Great to hear, post some pictures when you get a chance, I'd like to see how it turned out. I have a Max-130 on the Titus now, but still need to finish the build. Soon though, very soon....
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member

Will let you know soon....hopefully

I too have been on FOX and Reba's but I'm definitely committed now. Hopefully the pic will help you with your decision. will let you know how she rides.
    Reba Team v. LEFTY 29'ER CARBON SL w/DLR-dsc_0020.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamatterry
    I too have been on FOX and Reba's but I'm definitely committed now. Hopefully the pic will help you with your decision. will let you know how she rides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	571076
    Wow! Please keep us posted on the build. Looks like it's going to be pretty bad ass

mtbr member
    Looks nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0