Reba 29er fork creaks - 2009 model- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Reba 29er fork creaks - 2009 model

I have a 6 week old Reba team 29er fork, maxle system.

Shop and I think it is creaking in the stanchion area. Where it meets the crown. Tried some troubleshooting by checking top caps, maxle tightness, interfaces etc. It is heard when braking hard, or standing and rocking the bike when climbing. You can isolate it by twisting the bars with the wheels held between your knees.

The shop tried some fixes to no avail. It will also get noisy when the wheel is out and if you squeezethe legs a bit.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is just something to live with. My shop will send it in to Sram but I hate to have downtime, but for 600 bucks the fork should be quiet right?

Cracker
    My Reba is doing the same thing when i stand and pedal
    its not really that loud and i dont want to have to send it back and wait so hopefully it doesnt get any worse
    It might get a little steep from here

11 is one louder than 10
    Yup,

Same issue. Had a 2009, replaced it after 2 weeks. Now on a 2010, starting up again.

It is the stanchion/crown interface. At this point I suppose I'll just live with it. Might try one more crown on this one.

Love the fork otherwise.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Me too

Mine's starting to make me crazy as well. The clicking and ticking I can live with. The creaking....it's annoying and distracting...just like Fo Snitzel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 09-13-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Add another to the list...mine has creaked almost from the start!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't feel to bad about you Reba, my Fox F29 has stanchion/crown interface issues as well. Right leg is rotating inside the crown. Fox wants me to send it back to them but it's going to take at least 2 weeks and I don't want to give up my bike for 2 weeks. Not right now at least.

11 is one louder than 10
    Frustrating huh?

I had a pike on my 26 inch kiddie bike for 3 years, dead silent.

Tell you what though flyag - if my stanchion was rotating, not sure I'd ride that bad boy downtime or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Have a 2008 Reba SL 29 with U-turn that is having a crown/stantion creak as well. Calling SRAM on Monday to see what can be done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I thought I was having the same issue with my '09 Team w/maxle. Greasing the axle and threads took care of my problem (heavy sigh of relief...).

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogerson
    Greasing the axle and threads took care of my problem (heavy sigh of relief...).
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joncmack
    Have a 2008 Reba SL 29 with U-turn that is having a crown/stantion creak as well. Calling SRAM on Monday to see what can be done.

My LBS is replacing my Reba SL 29 right now for this very issue. Also oil leaked down through a faulty valve and caused the fork to hydrolock.

They told me that SRAM knows of the issue and is sending out a new fork as direct replacement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just got mine back about 2 weeks ago for the same issue...they replaced everything but the lower sanctions

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Standard Cyro Fit issues, seen it on Fox's a plenty and RS Recon's so far.

Send it back get it sorted, doubt it could actually fail, but if it does it's going to hurt and it'll fail when you most need it most likely.

turtles make me hot
    Check your headset. The bearing cups could be creaking in the frame.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mine had the same issue and I took the maxle apart and greased that plus the threads and it went away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Assuming A- you've narrowed it down to the stanchion fit in the crown and B- you don't want to return the fork OR the replaced fork STILL does this, one thing you might try is to use repeated applications of White Lightning on the area. If we assume that the junction is mostly good, and thus that you aren't going to lubricate the legs out of the crown, then you're just silencing the small part of the junction that can move. I had a creaky cartridge bottom bracket on my old Wicked Fat Chance that wouldn't shut up. It has these proprietary lockrings that seem to creak somewhere. So, I put some White Lightning on there, then put some more White Lightning on there, and then put some more White Lightning on there. The waxy buildup shut it up. As long as it is just noise and not indicative of something that is going to come apart, then if you can stop the noise, you're good. A generous glob of WL may do it. You'd probably have to turn the bike upside down, apply, and let sit overnight a couple of times. Sure, it is a bodge, but less painful than sending the fork back...

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogerson
    I thought I was having the same issue with my '09 Team w/maxle. Greasing the axle and threads took care of my problem (heavy sigh of relief...).
    me 2..."creaky" noise was from maxle/hub area instead

i bet a tapered steerer tube would solve this issue

mtbr member
    OK, I know I might be stuffing my head in the MTBR grinder here by even possibly suggesting that the problem is something other than what you think. I am even going to go so far as to suggest that some of the above listed problems might be caused by one of those products that nearly everyone thinks is above reproach.......

I had many creaky forks that I was certain was the crown/stanchion interface.... It was the King headset.
    I know I know I'm casting stones at the gods by writing this.
    I put a new O-ring in the upper crown/race piece and the creak was gone. I had some lady at King Cycle Groups on the phone and she was about as helpful as could be. Sent the little ring out and all was well.

Since the King headsets are soooo great they get moved from bike to bike to bike over the years. In time, that little ring just got too thin.

Perhaps not the problem or cure, but it helped me way back when. Oh- and neither of my 2010 Rebas creak.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

11 is one louder than 10
    In my case I isolated the creak by pulling the fork, putting it in the stand. Gently squeezing the legs together or slightly spreading them apart (not going nuts on them) replicated the creak 100%.

Likely just going to live with it for now this time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For those that have had this fixed - did the next crown start creaking again.

It is the crown/stanchion for sure. Isolated the fork off of the bike and could reproduce the sound. It's the dampner side stanchion. Shop thinks it is a no problem warranty (other than downtime).

Sounds like this is a common problem. Debating having it fixed, or just trying a new brand of fork?

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ROY Squared
    For those that have had this fixed - did the next crown start creaking again.

It is the crown/stanchion for sure. Isolated the fork off of the bike and could reproduce the sound. It's the dampner side stanchion. Shop thinks it is a no problem warranty (other than downtime).

Sounds like this is a common problem. Debating having it fixed, or just trying a new brand of fork?

Thanks all.
    My Fox F29 stanchion / crown inner face is loose as well... so I'm not sure changing to a Fox fork is the answer. Like you my shop says its a warranty issue, but the down time is 2-3 weeks. I wish Fox would just send new fork....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    on a related note -- many would agree that the manitou minute 29ers have been structurally good forks (stiff for a 32 mm stanchion fork; no creaks, no seal issues) but the old absolute damping left something to be desired especially at speed on loose rock --- so I'm figuring on updating to the new absolute plus damper when it becomes available (should be soon, last I checked w/ manitou).

Absolute+ consists of two independent damping circuits. Low-speed damping is controlled via the Speed Needle circuit, which consists of an adjuster needle that moves up and down into a round seat. Under compression, oil flows through the seat and around the needle. Turning the external adjustment dial clockwise decreases the flow area between the needles and the seat, thereby increasing the low-speed damping rate. The Speed Needle has a total of seven positions.

High-speed damping is controlled by the Pro Stack circuit. Pro Stck is a shim-based circuit that provides an additional path through which damping oil can pass under big/fast hits. The Pro Stack circuit consists of a piston with three ports covered by a shim stack. In order for the circuit to open, the fork must encounter an impact forceful enough to flex the shim stack and force oil through the ports. This allows the fork to move through its travel faster than it would if the Speed Needle were the only damping circuit. This only happens when a high-speed impact creates a force great enough to engage the Pro Stack.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Sep 2009
    I have the same bloody problem on my 2007 Reba SL 29.

I took the things apart and could replicate the sound with hollow stachions and the steer tube in a vice!

Rock shox blows!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeleye
    I have the same bloody problem on my 2007 Reba SL 29.

I took the things apart and could replicate the sound with hollow stachions and the steer tube in a vice!

Rock shox blows!
    actually RS forks in general are pretty damn good. i mean they don't have the issues of the marzocchi/suntour line. but this 29er reba creak issue sucks.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Sep 2009

I just want everyone to see that this is 100% a crown issue.

I went this far to isolate the noise. I put it all back to gether and it still performs well.

I only hear the creaking, cracking, ticking, (call it what you will) noise when on the front brakes or any decent front impact on the tire.

I am looking to replace this fork some time soon, I am even considering a Carbon fork however I have heard of some similar issues with some carbon forks as well.

I may even try the Minute 29 for with the 2010 upgrade for 50$. Seems just as light and maybe no crown issues ?

I some how think it may have to do with the longer legs. Perhaps they need a few more mm in the cryo pressed crown to accomodate the longer flexier legs.

I have a video of me flexing the legs so you can hear the sound.

I will be posting it to youtube soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeleye

I went this far to isolate the noise. I put it all back to gether and it still performs well.

I only hear the creaking, cracking, ticking, (call it what you will) noise when on the front brakes or any decent front impact on the tire.

I am looking to replace this fork some time soon, I am even considering a Carbon fork however I have heard of some similar issues with some carbon forks as well.

I may even try the Minute 29 for with the 2010 upgrade for 50$. Seems just as light and maybe no crown issues ?

I some how think it may have to do with the longer legs. Perhaps they need a few more mm in the cryo pressed crown to accomodate the longer flexier legs.

I have a video of me flexing the legs so you can hear the sound.

I will be posting it to youtube soon.

Wondering what you ever did about the creak. Did you post your vid on YouTube? Mine's starting to do the same thing now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Noticed a new creak from my Reba on my last ride. I'm going to try greasing the Maxle and hope it goes away

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk
    Noticed a new creak from my Reba on my last ride. I'm going to try greasing the Maxle and hope it goes away

Yours has lasted a lot longer than mine did Martin.

I'm using the Manitou now as the UK Rockshox importer refused to get a new crown/steerer in to repair it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I didn't believe that an ungreased Maxle was the culprit of my creaking noise. I totally thought it was the Stancion/Crown interface.....until tonite.

I had previously greased the Maxle threads and quick release, so I figured there was no way that was the problem. Tonight as I was listening to the creaking (which had grown progressively worse), it really sounded like it was coming from lower in the fork. So, I greased the Maxle thoroughly this evening making sure to get a nice film on ALL of the metal surfaces and a light film on the portion of the hub that touches the Maxle........VOILA......PROBLEM SOLVED!

This creak was driving me up the wall and now it's completely gone. I hope the stancions don't start up next, but for now my bike is quiet once again.

Definitely worth a shot.

Oh yeah, I also lowered the pressure level in the top air chamber to be about 15 pounds LOWER than the pressure in the bottom. This really made the fork feel a lot more plush and it's more actively using the travel now. Probably not going to be as good for bigger hits, but already feels better on small bump, high speed type stuff.....which is where this fork always lacked a little to me.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Don't feel to bad about you Reba, my Fox F29 has stanchion/crown interface issues as well. Right leg is rotating inside the crown. Fox wants me to send it back to them but it's going to take at least 2 weeks and I don't want to give up my bike for 2 weeks. Not right now at least.
    I am having the same issue with my Fox F29 and came to mtbr for some ideas. I have pulled the fork, creased everything and put it back on. I have also checked the torque on all bolts, etc. When I put the front wheel between my legs and rotate the bars back and forth my fork/headset area ticks. So dam annoying. I also have a king headset so I read here that might be the issue. I am going to try pulling the wheel off and push/pull the fork slightly together and apart to see if it makes the noise. It is crazy that this dam thing just started for no reason
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I know that this is an old thread but I thought that I would contribute.

I had a 2007 Reba SL that came on a Fisher Rig. I purchased it new. At just shy of the 12 month mark, it started creaking.

At first, I was convinced that it was not the fork but the headset, stem or quick release axle. I systematically worked on each. I even installed the fork on another bike (same headset) etc. Eventually, I isolated it to the stanchion/crown interface which the LBS helped confirm.

RS handled the warranty through the shop with zero problems. I was very satisfied.

I've owned 5 Rebas, all 29ers, and this is the only time that I have ever had a major issue. The warranty fork began leaking after a couple months at the upper stanchion seal. I replaced the seals with Enduro's and haven't had a problem since.

RS isn't perfect but I feel that they make a great product that's easy to service and backed by a quality warranty.

Bicycle rider
    I posted a vid of my issue here. You can clearly hear the ticking sound is coming from the fork! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...03#post6789903

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    I posted a vid of my issue here. You can clearly hear the ticking sound is coming from the fork! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...03#post6789903
    THE HORROR!
    I'd never be able to ride a bike that made any kind of sound similar to that. Unless I had earplugs in, but then I'd still feel bad about it suffering that much.

Bicycle rider
    Yes, it is VERY annoying!!!

mtbr member
    Another maxle greased here which stopped the racket

UK based 29er Convert
    Think I'll stick to my Manitou Minutes which have been faultless for the past 12 months when i next get some forks !

mtbr member
    I had a slight creak/tick onmy 2007 Reba, but it wasn't anything constant and I rode it until it died of natural causes I now am running the 2008 Minute and hoping to soon upgrade to the Absolute PLUS damper.

Can't believe you like the Manitous so much that you'd buy several straight off
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsi
    Think I'll stick to my Manitou Minutes which have been faultless for the past 12 months when i next get some forks !
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Another maxle greased here which stopped the racket
    +1 (and had to put some triflow where the skewer comes thru the maxle to get it silent)

Members who have read this thread: 0