rear wheel replacement recomdendatoins- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

rear wheel replacement recomdendatoins

During an Extera race today my 10 month old Stumpjumper FSR 29 exp wheel died. (I was able to pedal and the wheel wasn't moving). When I brought it into the bike shop they told me that the hub was toast and that they would get the wheel replaced under warranty.

I asked if I could upgrade as I am not too excited about getting the same wheel that only lasted me 10 months, being as the next time it goes bad it will be on my dime. He thought I could probably get some kind of credit.

I'm not sure exactly what options are available from that bike shop, One that he mentioned is some kind of Mavic UST wheel. Anybody have opinions on that wheel?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
    TEX

No longer 26
    If your rims are still good, have him order up a new (better?) hub and spokes if necessary. I'd go with dt swiss.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    If your rims are still good, have him order up a new (better?) hub and spokes if necessary. I'd go with dt swiss.

G
    Thanks for the suggestion.

The current hub is a DT swiss , custom for Specialized, I suspect that some DT swiss are good, but this one sucks. I'm reluctant to get another DT swiss.

One other problem I have with this wheel is that I have not had good luck running it tubeless. So if I would prefer to get a new rim that works better tubeless. My buddy has had much better luck with his Stans Flow, I assume that a UST would also do well, plus it would give me the option of running real UST tires with less sealant.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas
    Thanks for the suggestion.

The current hub is a DT swiss , custom for Specialized, I suspect that some DT swiss are good, but this one sucks. I'm reluctant to get another DT swiss.

One other problem I have with this wheel is that I have not had good luck running it tubeless. So if I would prefer to get a new rim that works better tubeless. My buddy has had much better luck with his Stans Flow, I assume that a UST would also do well, plus it would give me the option of running real UST tires with less sealant.
    I did a quick check.. that custom DT Swiss hub is a cheaper one using standard ratcheting pawls. The better ones (240/340/440) use a totally different design using a pair of toothed rings and are known for being some of the most reliable hubs out there. They are also very easy to maintain and service

Members who have read this thread: 0