Rampage and Ardent- Mtbr.com
    MTB Rider

Rampage and Ardent

Hi all. Just put an Ardent on the rear of my bike to replace a Rampage. I when I dropped the pressure, I noticed a significant loss in resistance on dry/dusty hardpack.

So, is it my imagination, or is the Ardent just that much faster. Also, How does the Ardent do on the front?

Rider and Wrench
    I am currently running the Ardent up front with a crossmark out back and am happy with it on my F/S. I ran it in the rear for a short time and it was ok but think I like it better upfront but I have another Ardent I plan on putting on the rear once the nice hardpack summer trails are bye bye...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Hi all. Just put an Ardent on the rear of my bike to replace a Rampage. I when I dropped the pressure, I noticed a significant loss in resistance on dry/dusty hardpack.

So, is it my imagination, or is the Ardent just that much faster. Also, How does the Ardent do on the front?
    I am running the same combination on my Mamasita.
    Only "problem" I have is that the Ardent will spinout on steeper climbs (loose over hardpack) but overall I am very happy.
    Have not tried the Ardent in front though.
    I have a spare so may try it for a rocky race I have coming up.

mtbr member
    Try the IRD panaracer as front tire.... Fantastic. I have tried on the front Nevegals, Crossmarks, Wirewolf LT, Racing Ralph 2.4 and the panaracer so far has been the best front.

Rear - Crossmark 'cause the small block 8 does not fit on stans arches :-(
    Sit and spin my ass...

Expert Crasher
    I'm a big fan of the Ardent as a front tire. It rolls faster than a Rampage. If your terrain is really loose - stick with the Rampy. If it's hard pack or loose over hard, go Ardent.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I've been racing the Ardent up front with a Crossmark out back all season. It's a great combo in my opinion for both geared or SS racing. The Ardent sealed up like a vault using Stans with Bonty rim strips on Rhythm wheels. IMO, it's a nice compliant tire with big volume. Also, the spacing between treads allows it to clear mud quickly and it corners nicely. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. Good luck

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run Ardents front/rear. Love them. Best 29er tires I've personally used, with Rampages in second. Slap 'em on Flows with yellow tape, some goop, hit 'em with the air compressor and never think about them again.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I run Ardents front/rear. Love them. Best 29er tires I've personally used, with Rampages in second. Slap 'em on Flows with yellow tape, some goop, hit 'em with the air compressor and never think about them again.
    Ardent + Ardent on one bike and am happy with it for my conditions. Would like to try the 2.4 Ardent up front when available to peons like me and not just prototype asswipe testers

is buachail foighneach me
    rampage is a really slow roller out back. i actually just switched one out for a stout, which i'm now running front and rear, and the stout seems to roll more efficiently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I see the Ardent as a front only tire. Of course, this is just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Ardent + Ardent on one bike and am happy with it for my conditions. Would like to try the 2.4 Ardent up front when available to peons like me and not just prototype asswipe testers

Somebody's testing prototype asswipes?
    Sweet, we need some new tech in that industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rampage is a really slow roller on the front let alone the back, hate the grip grip then totally let go on wet rocks compound that Panaracer use and when I dropped the pressure just a fraction to much which wasn't even that soft on 1 descent on the peaks I ripped the valve off twice and ended up walking home.

Really looking forward to the Ardent 2.4 as a front tyre to replace my slow hopefully lesser volumed 1 year old stout.

Liking the look of the Bonty FR 2.3 is it, depending on Volume on both I'll add, bigger the better as long as it'll fit into a Reba SL 06

mtbr member
    Been running the ramp on the front and ardent on the rear. It has been great!
    2009 Paragon

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

How are you liking the Stout (front and rear)??? I have

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    rampage is a really slow roller out back. i actually just switched one out for a stout, which i'm now running front and rear, and the stout seems to roll more efficiently.
    two Stouts that I just bought from Performance on sale but have not put on the bike yet. Have read that the Stout out back is slow and heavy!. Just this Labor Day weekend had two flats front and rear from thorns (on Continental Race Kings) and was thinking about throwing the Stouts on f&r. Riding in loose, rooty, rocky NEPA. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Blatant, what sort of pressure would you go for with this setup ? and whats the max pressure you would go.

Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    two Stouts that I just bought from Performance on sale but have not put on the bike yet. Have read that the Stout out back is slow and heavy!. Just this Labor Day weekend had two flats front and rear from thorns (on Continental Race Kings) and was thinking about throwing the Stouts on f&r. Riding in loose, rooty, rocky NEPA. Thanks,

i've been running the stout up front for a year and a half now, so i'll comment on that first. i love it. the traction is unbeatable, and i really don't feel the weight as much as i thought i would. they excell in the kind of terrain you're riding. i'm originally from north jersey, moved up here last year, and the stout was bar none, the best front tire i've ever run in those rocks.

i've only got two rides with the stout out back, and it seems like it rides 'lighter' than the rampage. climbing was noticeable quicker yet oddly with better traction in powdery dry clay/duff and on packed clay singletrack.

i have no idea of the puncture resistance relative to the mt king. i've never run a mtn king and haven't had a thorn flat that i can remember*.

*all praise due to the flat gods, the creators of joy and rotational pleasures, who control the ride, and life in general, with their generous allowances. i don't have any children, but if i did, i would sacrifice my first born to them. if necessary to appease ye great rulers of the rubber, i could sacrifice my neighbors first born...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cagey76
    Blatant, what sort of pressure would you go for with this setup ? and whats the max pressure you would go.
    I can only tell you what works for me. I'm about 200 geared and ride techy, rocky AZ trails. I run 23 psi front and 28 rear.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I'm a big fan of the Ardent as a front tire. It rolls faster than a Rampage. If your terrain is really loose - stick with the Rampy. If it's hard pack or loose over hard, go Ardent.
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    I will take one of the prototype Ardent's with a beefed up sidewall. I ran Ignitor's no problem, but recently cut an Ardent after installing it only two weeks earlier. That happens sometimes and I realize. I also noticed on the packaging that they took the tire from 120tpi to 60tpi. I don't always notice improved ride quality with thread count, but I do usually notice improved durability. Ironically some of the tubeless casing tires have a lower thread count as well.

I'm kind of done with Maxxis til they improve their sidewalls. I have run the Racing Ralph Snakeskin and feel very happy with the sidewalls on those vs. Schwalbe's paper thin normal versions. I also have been running a Rampage that is 8 months old and have experienced no problems whatsoever with.

Most of the tubeless casing tires are also good sidewall wise, but the sidewalls are notoriously stiff. I guess that is the trade-off though. The RR Snakeskin, WTB Weirwolf or Stout, or Panaracer Rampage seems to blur the line of tough, but smooth riding non-tubeless ready casing tires.

There are others as well that I have ridden, but for all around riding vs. racing, these options are standouts for everyday use setup tubeless.

Expert Crasher
    The 2.25 Ardent has always been 60 tpi.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

fewer tpi = thicker threads, i think. the 60 tpi maxxis crossmark was much more durable than the 120 tpi maxxis ignitor for me. both were a little weak in the sidewall dept, but the ignitor much more so than the crossmark. otherwise good tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I can only tell you what works for me. I'm about 200 geared and ride techy, rocky AZ trails. I run 23 psi front and 28 rear.
    Cheers for that.

jrm
    mtbr member

I like the geax saguaro in back

when paired with the rampage up front. I think the 2.25 saguaros a bit tougher then the 2.25 ardent and rolls as well.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Saguaro in back and Rampage up front was treating me very well yesterday on loose-over-hardpack and sand with roots and medium-sized rocks.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    when paired with the rampage up front. I think the 2.25 saguaros a bit tougher then the 2.25 ardent and rolls as well.
    I was at the trailhead with the family yesterday and had some riders looking to borrow a spoke wrench... One of them who was doing the wrenching on the other's bike was running the Saguaro's front and rear- I am always trying new tires (or at least wanting to these days) and asked him how he liked them- he said they roll well but have thin and delicate sidewalls....he prefers the Crossmark as he feels it offers more grip and more durability. I know the Crossmark only comes in the 29X2.1so I am guessing he was running the same size in the Saguaros? On my F/S I am currently running an Ardent 2.25 up front and a Crossmark 2.1 in the rear and the Ardent's sidewall appears to be heavier and more durable... Add it all up and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Not to say either is a wrong accessment but I guess it all comes down to where, who (you and your bike weight/build...) and how you ride along with what you consider your "benchmark". Sometimes you have one dud part etc.. and it colors your whole opinion of it-

Bodhisattva
    If you want to squeeze a bit more traction out of the rear Ardent, run it in reverse. It helps, although rolling resistance increases a bit (but still faster than a rear Rampage).

I'm currently running a 2.2 Specialized Captain in front, 2.2 Ardent in back - great combo for the local terrain.

mtbr member
    Funny, I have a rampage I've never used, I was considering putting it on the rear wheel of my bike for training. Good to know I should expect slow rolling.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    If you want to squeeze a bit more traction out of the rear Ardent, run it in reverse. It helps, although rolling resistance increases a bit (but still faster than a rear Rampage).

I'm currently running a 2.2 Specialized Captain in front, 2.2 Ardent in back - great combo for the local terrain.
    you are fat and slow so your input should be relevant

Bodhisattva
    you are fat
    True. After imbibing over the holiday weekend I think I may have crossed the 160lb mark.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I agree the 2.25 Ardent was pretty good in the back, didn't like it up front tho and felt the Rampage and the Stout was better due to the added volume. I ripped the sidewalls on both 2.25 Ardents tho, and a pair of Rampages.

The new Ardent is solid and with the beefier sidewall I'm running em tubeless without any issues, also they are lighter than the Rampage or 2.25 Ardent w/tubes so that's nice.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    The fatty Ardents rule!!! My new favorite tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    The fatty Ardents rule!!! My new favorite tire.
    good point...when you have a 9.5 lb frame you may as well put a heavy tire on. it doesnt matter at that point if you have a 38 (lighter tires) vs 38.75 lb (w/ fatties) single speed

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    good point...when you have a 9.5 lb frame you may as well put a heavy tire on. it doesnt matter at that point if you have a 38 (lighter tires) vs 38.75 lb (w/ fatties) single speed
    Fo:

You vacuous moron. Riding a fat pig of a bike is like riding your Mom. Not ideal...but you get used to it after awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah I think he would explode the regular Ardents with that tank of a bike, plus he needs to attend a Team Sanchez skillz camp, or maybe the new cactuscorn "DH skillz for internet posers" camp, since they are butt buddies and all.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    Funny, I have a rampage I've never used, I was considering putting it on the rear wheel of my bike for training. Good to know I should expect slow rolling.
    I never thought it was "slow" persee, just the Ardents seem a little faster (even run reverse). Others have mentioned the Saguaro but I run a hardtail and I'm a big guy so I really need the extra squish.

Slower tires on hardpack ... WTB Stout. I never thought it was good for my area, it's beefy knobs slowed things down and they really didn't clear mud well. Seems that they are best for rocky/sandy conditions. The other tire I have a lot of experience with is the Mountain King. Like the Stout, they seem a bit slow but they clear mud instantly. It makes them a great choice for mud, sand and snow.

My last tire is a WTB Vulpine which I do not ride because it is just plain too small. If I had a full suspension bike, I'd probably run it. But I believe a hardtail needs a big squishy in the back.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Yeah I think he would explode the regular Ardents with that tank of a bike, plus he needs to attend a Team Sanchez skillz camp, or maybe the new cactuscorn "DH skillz for internet posers" camp, since they are butt buddies and all.
    well one things for sure, compared to Cactusmangina, Aqua would have even less competition at the Nationals in his age group

err, 27.5+
    Yes, the ardent is fast considering the grip it provides. It is a bit tight in knob design, which helps with the rolling but does give it a bit more drift than similar tires (like a High Roller). It also does spin out a bit in wet conditions. Those are the breaks. Fast tires aren't as all-around grippy, but they do earn their keep when you need extra speed with minimal extra effort. So, no it isn't just you. I haven't personally run Rampage tires, I think Nevegal has better compounds when it gets wet. But of the friends I have who like that tire the Ardent has proven better for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I never thought it was "slow" persee, just the Ardents seem a little faster (even run reverse). Others have mentioned the Saguaro but I run a hardtail and I'm a big guy so I really need the extra squish.
    Well that's good. If nothing else, it'll be fun to try out a different tread. I used to run a pair of fire xc on my 26er, which is pretty similar to the rampage. They seemed fine in off road, if a bit slow on the faster sections. I'm currently using a exiwolf rear, which is pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Whats bigger volume wise, the 2.25 Ardent or the Rampage ??

Or better still the Ardent or a Stout ??

How long for the 2.4 Ardents!!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Whats bigger volume wise, the 2.25 Ardent or the Rampage ??

Or better still the Ardent or a Stout ??

How long for the 2.4 Ardents!!
    On MTB Tires, it says the Ardent vs Stout. His method gives consistent comparisons between different tires.

Rampage most volume, then Ardent, then Stout.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I was at the trailhead with the family yesterday and had some riders looking to borrow a spoke wrench... One of them who was doing the wrenching on the other's bike was running the Saguaro's front and rear- I am always trying new tires (or at least wanting to these days) and asked him how he liked them- he said they roll well but have thin and delicate sidewalls....he prefers the Crossmark as he feels it offers more grip and more durability. I know the Crossmark only comes in the 29X2.1so I am guessing he was running the same size in the Saguaros? On my F/S I am currently running an Ardent 2.25 up front and a Crossmark 2.1 in the rear and the Ardent's sidewall appears to be heavier and more durable... Add it all up and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Not to say either is a wrong accessment but I guess it all comes down to where, who (you and your bike weight/build...) and how you ride along with what you consider your "benchmark". Sometimes you have one dud part etc.. and it colors your whole opinion of it-
    Not sure which variant of Saguaro the guy was running, but the TNT version is definitely beefier in the sidewalls. The folder is lighter in that regard.

I have Ardents, and I am not overly impressed with them, but I seem to be one of the few in that regard. They have a tendency to wash out on our hardpack. I would rather use the Bontrager XR here for hardpack, loose over hard, and especially in anything sandy. The XR is simply far better than the Ardent in similar conditions. Plus, the TLR version has beefier side walls and a bit taller knobs than the older folder version.

I stayed away from Rampages for a long time, even after having owned a pair for well over a year. I finally broke down and put them on a single speed I have and the rolling resistance isn't terrible, but it is there. Traction is great, but it should be. Volume on my Duster rims is great. (Tubeless set up) Not my first choice in tires for here, but they haven't let me down either.

Stouts have been similar for me here. Just too much for what we need, but I wouldn't hesitate to throw them on when I go back to El Paso, Texas to ride again. The Stout just seems made for such rocky, abusive terrain.

The newer, wider Ardent looks promising, but I'm thinking that the new Geax Gato will be even better. TNT version and big volume, from what I understand. Should be a good one for those looking for an aggressive tread.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Tree Crasher
    Another thumbs up for the Ardents front / rear. One of my favorite tires ever. The trick is they like lower pressures. I'm about 225 lb butt naked and run them 21 / 25 front / rear respectively. I'm even considering using the 2.40 to replace the Nevegals on my AM bike.

My only gripe about Maxxis tires is that they're never on sale. If I'm wrong let me know.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    I tried both the Ardent & Rampage up front and love the Ardent, with a Bontrager XDX out back. For Racing, I stick with a Racing Ralph up front.
    anything Steel

jrm
    mtbr member

Forgot to mention

My other tire combo is ardent 2.25 in back combined with a specialized resolution 2.3 up front. Its a great match. YMMV

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I accidentally put my front 2.25 Ardent on backwards this past Sunday while hurriedly fixing a flat mid-race (very rocky course, 2.25 Ardent up front, 2.1 Aspen in back).

One thing I discovered is that run in reverse, the Ardent is NOT GOOD. I love the tire run in the correct direction, but in reverse up front I get significantly less traction, very sketchy cornering, and the tire also rolls slower- it's a lose/lose equation. I didn't notice my mistake until commuting into work on Monday when the bike felt wonky even on pavement. And once I realized it, my troubles in the second lap of the race made a bit more sense.

Just my opinion, but I will only be running them in the intended direction.

As for the Rampage, I love 'em as slow, technical trail riding tires. Definitely more traction than the Ardent, and considerably slower. I prefer the Ardent's mix of volume, traction and speed, but if I didn't race and wasn't looking to get anywhere fast, I might give the Rampage the nod...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Always Learning
    It debuts at Interbike next week which should allow you to finally wipe your own crack with some big meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    The 2.25 Ardent has always been 60 tpi.
    I believe he is referring to the packaging where 120 tpi is obviously blacked out and replaced with 60 tpi. It could just be a mistake in packaging and this was the cheaper fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got me an ardent + a mountain king 2.2. Which way should I run them? Is the mk2.2 any good as a front tire or should I get something else?

Rider and Wrench
    Not to say it is good or bad but I just received a set of Rampages today and was surprised they were not a beefier tread (seemed very similar to the Ardent...)- After hearing of how much slower most riders say they are I was expecting something even more agro than a Nevgal. So now I am debating which tires to run on my FS.. Arden'ts-Rampages-Nevgals- for the winter -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Not to say it is good or bad but I just received a set of Rampages today and was surprised they were not a beefier tread (seemed very similar to the Ardent...)- After hearing of how much slower most riders say they are I was expecting something even more agro than a Nevgal. So now I am debating which tires to run on my FS.. Arden'ts-Rampages-Nevgals- for the winter -
    Give them a try first! The Rampage is definitely slower than the Ardent on smooth hardpack, but I ride rough trails faster and feel more confident with the Rampage

Members who have read this thread: 0