racing tire for 100mile races - durability & weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

racing tire for 100mile races - durability & weight?

yo! i run a pair of Nanos on my current tallboy full suspension xc race bike. i'm getting ready to ride my first 100mile race and am a little freaked out about all i have heard about flats on the long races.

can i get some recomendation of the best 29er race tires out there that are durrable a hell?

i weigh 200lbs, so a few grams more is probably OK vs flatting.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bedwards Of The West
    I did an 85 mile race on Michelin XC's set up tubeless and had no issues. I'm 210lbs.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedavis
    yo! i run a pair of Nanos on my current tallboy full suspension xc race bike. i'm getting ready to ride my first 100mile race and am a little freaked out about all i have heard about flats on the long races.

can i get some recomendation of the best 29er race tires out there that are durrable a hell?

i weigh 200lbs, so a few grams more is probably OK vs flatting.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    You are no more likely to get a flat in a long race than a normal ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If you want something similar to the Nano's just with thicker/tougher sidewalls, then take alook at the Bontrager TLR tyres - If you can still find them the XR's would be very similar, if not you could try the 29-3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Expert Crasher
    Nanos will be fine for 100 miles (and then some) - there is a guy on here who did the Tour Divide race, 2000ish miles on Nanos.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just did Leadville on Maxxis Aspens on a Tallboy, they were great. Setup tubeless on edge rims.
    Good luck have fun, eat and drink more than you think the first 50.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    conti racekings

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chpfly
    Just did Leadville on Maxxis Aspens on a Tallboy, they were great. Setup tubeless on edge rims.
    aspen is a great riding 500g tire, but has thin 120tpi casing to get to 500g, maxxis has the new 120tpi casing igniter but with exo protection in the sidewall,claimed 590g but i have one that was 610g......haven/t mounted them yet on stans but looks promising

mutaullyassuredsuffering

snakeskin

I've done 1 x 24 solo, 2 x 125 milers, and a couple 100's and a ton of training on the same pair of racing Ralph snakeskins. I just replaced them simply out of principal...they still look fine.

I'm pretty impressed with them.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member

New question here.

I forget, did you have the original Ignitors as well? If so how do these new 120 TPI exo protection sidewalls feel compared to them?

Quote Originally Posted by suvowner
    aspen is a great riding 500g tire, but has thin 120tpi casing to get to 500g, maxxis has the new 120tpi casing igniter but with exo protection in the sidewall,claimed 590g but i have one that was 610g......haven/t mounted them yet on stans but looks promising
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I forget, did you have the original Ignitors as well? If so how do these new 120 TPI exo protection sidewalls feel compared to them?
    haven't ridden them yet, in my hand sidewall seems thicker and feels like it is going to be pretty strong, but this is pretty subjective.....but yesdid have the original ingitor before.....had a flat with a torn sidewall on the original......so hoping the exo protection is adequate....

one tire weighed 600g and one 580g on my scale, on a different scale got one of the tire 10g heavier than mine....they def mount up tubeless on a stans race rim very easy.....a quick ride, they do feel a little more supple then the original 60tpi version....currently running them front/rear on my superfly 100......i def like the ignitor as a rear tire, not sure if it is my favorite up front but will run it a while and see...

the aspen, while a pretty grippy light tire, its casing doesn't seem to like running low pressure tubeless for very long....i can already see the fibers of the casing on the outside of the sidewall after a few months of riding...Arkansas has alot of sharp rocks, I am a weight weenie but changing flats on the trail is not fun, and in a race saving 50-100g is pretty useless if you flat.....
    Last edited by suvowner; 08-22-2010 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    got in a little ride today on the 120tpi ignitor with exo and this tire is noticeably suppler than the 60tpi version.....very grippy........the difference in feel was such that i had to look back a few times to make sure i hadn't lost air or anything.....

so far i am digging this tire, supple feel for great traction, durable sidewall thanks to exo protection, and nice grippy knobs, and still a tad under 600g ish......for leadville , kind of a tough call, some would say the harder 60tpi version might roll better on all the pavement.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i have ran the 2.2 race kings in rear all season at 25 to 28 psi on hard tail with stans sealant with no problems did 50 fools gold this weekend on rocks and alot if mud hooked great seen alot of people repairing tires

Stayin' Puft
    Lowly, inexpensive Crossmarks. If you get a chance at an LBS, bring yer gram scale and go thru as there is a lot of variance. They roll fast, grip nice if run tubeless, and generally Maxxis ought to just lay a little more rubber on the beads and call 'em "TLR". Just don't run your pressure stupid-low, I would think minimum of a solid 30psi at 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ran Race King Rear, SS Racing Ralph front for high cascades, I think this pairing works well and rolls superfast with plenty of grip in the corners. Im 185+gear and gun 25F28R or so tubeless

mtbr member
    As mentioned, the Nano is basically the (un)official tyre of choice for all the fast guys on the the Tour Divide. Any particular reason you're looking for something else?

jms
    mtbr member

Where?

Where's the race?

For me:

@ Cream Puff - WTB Prowler front @ 23psi / Nano rear @ 25 tubeless

@ High Cascades - 100 Schwalbe Nobby Nic @ 19psi / Conti Raceking @ 21 psi tubeless

The Nano is my "default setting" @ the rear, unless there's casing killers on the course, then I use the Raceking. If the course is buff, 2.2 Raven. and if it's raining.....

Good luck with your race!

Keep on Rockin...

Absolutely....

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    If you want something similar to the Nano's just with thicker/tougher sidewalls, then take alook at the Bontrager TLR tyres - If you can still find them the XR's would be very similar, if not you could try the 29-3s

The TLR 29-3 tire is just great. Fast, durable and way better climbing traction than you'd expect from a tire that runs this fast. I'm 180# and run the 2.0 on the rear of a Dos Niner. I still think the Jones ACX TLR is a great front tire - easy to mod the tire too - just carve it up the center knobs with a sharp knife.

Besides, the Bonti TLR, rim-tire, set up is the real deal - solid, bombproof, super easy to set (world's above Stans).
    Last edited by Miker J; 08-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.

No longer 26
    The Bonty 29-3 2.25 as a front tire feels a lot like the ACX. The tread pattern is pretty much the same although the blocks are obviously shaped differently.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

is buachail foighneach me
    I'll second Crossmarks for durability and speed. When I lived in NJ I used to destroy tires left and right, and the crossmarks held up incredibly well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    +1 for the Bonty 29-3 x 2.25 up front. Best combo of low resistance AND traction that I've every ridden. Rolls almost like a full race tire (Aspen, Racing Ralph), but grips much, much better (Fire XC).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    from the photos looks like JHK ran Bont 29-0 front and rear

The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chpfly
    major +1!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you believe the raceking has a better sidewall than the nano? I need a durable tire for the SM100 in a couple weeks and was considering these 2 tires.

thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Where's the race?

For me:

@ Cream Puff - WTB Prowler front @ 23psi / Nano rear @ 25 tubeless

@ High Cascades - 100 Schwalbe Nobby Nic @ 19psi / Conti Raceking @ 21 psi tubeless

The Nano is my "default setting" @ the rear, unless there's casing killers on the course, then I use the Raceking. If the course is buff, 2.2 Raven. and if it's raining.....

Good luck with your race!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Where's the race?
    Finally someone asks the important question.

I've raced endurance races on Aspens where there were zero rocks anywhere on the course. Try using those same tyres for the Wilderness 101 and you wouldn't get very far.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Race is Sierra/Tahoe100. lots of talk about how rocky the course is relative to a course like leadville. the Nanos i'm running now are 2.0. do i get better sidewall protection by going wider? also, most of you guys will think this is a dumb question, but what does the tpi number represent?

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice!

mtbr member
    Out of all the tyres I have tried tubeless that aren't made for that application, the Ignitors setup the best and lasted the longest. I only took them off because they were quite worn and I had a whole 2 bags of tyres to play with and wanted something with a bit more volume. Eagerly awaiting Interbike to see what Maxxis has there.

Quote Originally Posted by suvowner
    haven't ridden them yet, in my hand sidewall seems thicker and feels like it is going to be pretty strong, but this is pretty subjective.....but yesdid have the original ingitor before.....had a flat with a torn sidewall on the original......so hoping the exo protection is adequate....

one tire weighed 600g and one 580g on my scale, on a different scale got one of the tire 10g heavier than mine....they def mount up tubeless on a stans race rim very easy.....a quick ride, they do feel a little more supple then the original 60tpi version....currently running them front/rear on my superfly 100......i def like the ignitor as a rear tire, not sure if it is my favorite up front but will run it a while and see...

the aspen, while a pretty grippy light tire, its casing doesn't seem to like running low pressure tubeless for very long....i can already see the fibers of the casing on the outside of the sidewall after a few months of riding...Arkansas has alot of sharp rocks, I am a weight weenie but changing flats on the trail is not fun, and in a race saving 50-100g is pretty useless if you flat.....

jms
    mtbr member

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul
    So you believe the raceking has a better sidewall than the nano? I need a durable tire for the SM100 in a couple weeks and was considering these 2 tires.

thanks,
    Paul
    Yes, the same tire has survived the HC100's lava @ Bend twice, and the Whiskey 50. I LOVE the Nano, but, especially in the latest generation, the casing just aren't as robust as a Raceking's.

And for OP, I'd run the Raceking as a rear @ Tahoe Sierra, and since the Nobby Nic is basically unobtainable right now, Kosmo's advice @ the front tire choice is likely the best you'll find in this thread.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mberesn1
    conti racekings
    X2

by far the best strength-weight ratio 29er tire I have used so far..

I run the race king rear and MT king front, great setup, thought the MT kings super tall knobs can get squirrel-ie on super hard flat surfaces... don't really slide... just bend over... can feel scary at speed..

also note that conti tires seem to stretch out a good bit the first week or so... I mount them up and when not riding put the pressure up around 40-45 lbs to get the stretch over with... (just drop it down when riding ) they seal up great tubeless too!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

not so super...
    The Maxxis EXO sidewall delivers as promised. I've been riding around on some light weight race tires with the EXO in some very rocky terrain. No flats, no cuts no problems. For reference these same trails killed my brand new 2.25 racing Ralph snakeskins in one ride - 3 flats and a tear.

The ignitor now comes in the EXO sidewall but not sure how that tread works for your terrain. The crossmark has done well for me too.
    Nothing to see here.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedavis
    ..... also, most of you guys will think this is a dumb question, but what does the tpi number represent?

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice!

TPI = Threads Per Inch. There's 'fabric' in between the layers of rubber in a tire. 60 tpi would mean less, but thicker threads, which theoretically would mean it's a little stiffer and more abrasion resistant. 120 tpi means they squeezed more threads into the same amount of space, to do that the threads have to be thinner, which results in a more supple casing, but due to the thinner threads, theoretically should be less resistant to abrasion. That's my uneducated understanding of it anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice summary on TPI there Sean, I'd just add usually the higher TPIs are lighter as well... Have you riden the Nanos on the terrain in question? Or is it a destination type race? Obviously experience is the best guide, and what works for some isn't burly enough for others.
    In my experience wider does not equal better sidewall protection, in fact I would say the oposite... I think this is because you can run lower pressures with a bigger casing, but this yields more flexing of the tire, thus the casing is more prone to run on the ground along with the tread in rocky terrain (Think of a rock-crawler to help illustrate, they drive on the sides of there freaking tires for miles, with gobs of traction) And this isn't a bad thing...it just demands more of your tires. Having said all that, the rockier the course, the bigger the tire should be in my opinion (but I ride a hardtail, thus volume is a little more important for the suspension element, you may be able to get away with a smaller tire on the dually, with slightly higher pressures, relying on your suspension, but I still think a bigger tire with lower pressures just rolls better in the rocks, and it certainly gives more control...)
    Anyways, I recomend any of the Maxxis tires with the 60 TPI casing (ignitor,crossmark, ardent,) They work great tubeless, seem to be the best compromise of strength/weight and I have yet to tear a sidewall (with the notable exception of a 2.4 ardent with exo!-low pressures and rocks)
    So for the quick answer; ardent 2.25 front, crossmark 2.1 rear , damb that was a long post!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've done SH100 twice and raced close to twenty 100 milers all over the country on 29ers. I've flatted on just about every tire imaginable. Out of all that experience, I'd say look for something with good volume, at least a 2.1" to protect against bouncing off bigger rocks at high speeds. You're going to want something that rolls fast for the roads in between singletrack sections. I prefer the 60tpi casings over the 120tpi, they seem to hold up better. Run the tires tubeless with at least a cup and a half of stans in each tire. If ya wanna be a real weenie, then make sure the tires are brand new. Stans them up, do a couple short rides on the pavement to make sure they're holding air well, then save them for race day. Good luck at your race!

The Duuude, man...
    OP, if you like Nano's, but want a little bit more, grab the big brother, the WTB EXI. It's basically the same tire in a 2.3 vs a 2.1.

I rode and completed - tubeless - the 09 Ouachita Challenge at 198lbs, zero issues on a pair.

Big air, lower rolling resistance, and tougher than nails. Not the lightest thing out there, but moderation is for p&$$!es.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi all,

I did an 1150 km race plus several 120 to 160 kms races on Specialized Fast Trak LKs Control 29 Fr and Re tubeless with Stan's liquid and never had a flat or any other problem.

I rode on all types of terrain except very very technical stuff. Also, no rain.

The tires roll very well -- although probably not the best choice for the front.

Cheers!

Nuno

Members who have read this thread: 0