Racing Ralph SS vs none SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Racing Ralph SS vs none SS

I have recently switched from 29 x 2.25 none snake skin RR to a snake skin RR on the front and have noticed some difference. The tire is very harsh and lacks the grip of the none snake version tire has. I have lowered the psi from 27 to 25 and it still will not hook up. I think the stiffer side wall is to blame for this. I will try it at 22 psi and see what happens. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by blooper
    I have recently switched from 29 x 2.25 none snake skin RR to a snake skin RR on the front and have noticed some difference. The tire is very harsh and lacks the grip of the none snake version tire has. I have lowered the psi from 27 to 25 and it still will not hook up. I think the stiffer side wall is to blame for this. I will try it at 22 psi and see what happens. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Thanks,
    Brian
    The Snakeskin casing is stiffer. I have not ridden the standard version but I had no traction issues with the SS RR. I did have them at 20-22 psi on Gordo rims (180 lb rider).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I will try the lower pressure. I run the snake skin in the rear with no problems. Thanks shiggy.

Brian

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is the SS 2.4 out yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting point. I love the RR 2.25 (non-SS) on the front. I think I will replace my rear with the SS version, but not the front. Personally, I cannot think of the last time I had a sidewall tear on the front anyway (knock on wood).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    Personally, I cannot think of the last time I had a sidewall tear on the front anyway (knock on wood).
    NOW YOU'VE DONE IT. why would you go and anger the flat gods like that?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Is the SS 2.4 out yet?
    Not announced as being made any time soon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone
    NOW YOU'VE DONE IT. why would you go and anger the flat gods like that?
    Its all cool, I knocked on wood. That counteracts any bad voodoo. Or maybe I just made it worse.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    how do you feel about this tire as a rear tire ,SS or non SS version, for a HT SS?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not announced as being made any time soon
    :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    what's the weight difference btw SS and non-SS tyres?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I think mine are 50 grams heavier than the none snake skin. If memory serves me correct 580g none ss and 630g for the ss version. I don't remember the numbers exactly.

Brian

Rider and Wrench
    A while back I posted a similar thought on this but it was comparing the 26X2.25 EVO non snakeskin NN to a new version 2.25 Fat Albert (which only come in snakeskin). I loved the NN but the fragile sidewall was too easy to shred- so I went to the FA's and found that they did not seem to offer as much give over smaller trail obst. and general traction (at least at the same pressures). Because I was not sure if I could attribute it to the different tread or the side wall I never looked too far into it...

As mentioned the snakeskin seems fine on the rear as I never noticed as much but once you run the EVO not SS version on the front you can really feel a difference-

Moral of the story is if you have never tried the EVO non SS stay away from it and go right to the numb feeling SS version.... you'll never know what your missing and smile in complete and utter blissful ignorance
    I Just wish I could ride more!

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    Interesting point. I love the RR 2.25 (non-SS) on the front. I think I will replace my rear with the SS version, but not the front. Personally, I cannot think of the last time I had a sidewall tear on the front anyway (knock on wood).
    I'd very much like to try this combo.
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0