mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Race bike: Niner Rkt or Intense Sniper? (or SB100)

Hi guys- would love feedback from people who have raced these bikes. Looking for a new “almost all-out” race bike - meaning I race seriously (cat 1, regional winner etc), but would like 120 travel up front as I do some gnar, some long races and courses are getting harder (and i’d rather not drag around 2 bikes). Don’t like the brain, btw, it hurts an old back injury due to harsh initial compression, and I sold my Scalpel. Thoughts please?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloraptor View Post
    Hi guys- would love feedback from people who have raced these bikes. Looking for a new “almost all-out” race bike - meaning I race seriously (cat 1, regional winner etc), but would like 120 travel up front as I do some gnar, some long races and courses are getting harder (and i’d rather not drag around 2 bikes). Don’t like the brain, btw, it hurts an old back injury due to harsh initial compression, and I sold my Scalpel. Thoughts please?

Of those I'd pick Blur or Sniper. Blur is thoroughbred race bike. Sniper is a solid racer that has fun on the trail, too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I run two forks, a 100mm 32 for the local easier stuff and for longer endurance stuff a 120mm 34, this way I can kind of get the ultimate-racy feel for maximum climbing and speed and then also have something that will be better for all-around riding or longer endurance stuff where I want more compliance. Not cheap, but cheaper than two bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If you're racing seriously and relying on one bike, I'd pick the company with the best customer service that won’t leave you hanging. From reading these forums, that would eliminate the 3 companies you listed.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Wanna ride bikes?
    What's the budget?

Yeti SB100, Kona Hei Hei. (both 100/120)

I have a Hei Hei CR DL as my endurance race bike. It's awesome. It's super fun (pretty short chainstays for a full sus XC bike) and seriously fast. I've also taken it on a couple trips into the mountains and pushed both myself and the bike to it's limits. It never showed any signs of weakness. (I'm 6'3" 205 lbs for the record)

For shorter races I'm on my hardtail/rigid SS.

The 2019 Fox 34 SC fork sounds perfect for your application. It's a dedicated 120mm travel fork (which can't be changed) but it's half a pound lighter than the standard 34, and half a pound heavier than the SC 32, but way stiffer than the 32. Pretty perfect fork for modern XC bikes IMO.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Formerly of Kent
    Sniper, hands down.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A Scott Spark non RC 900 is 120 with rear space for 2.6 tires. I think you can order a frameset for custom build. A couple width wheelsets would give you a broad range.

mtbr member
    What bikes can you demo? I find my 2018 Epic with Fox 32 SC in front is super plush for short races and all day stuff. Then again I raced a steel SS in sprint races in the first 5 months of last year so and before that did long races on a gear 29er HT. So for me the Epic was plush. Given your back concerns you may best forced in to riding some bikes to find the right balance you need between rear end support for fast racing and also rear end plushness to keep the back happy. I have heard some people say the epic is too plush and soft and other say it is too harsh. All race XC too so that is not always the best judge.

As for Gnar I would rather have dropper post to expand the Gnar capabilities rather than longer fork. Most of the time I am racing the gnar is minimal and the 100/100 is enough to manage it all. But if I am just riding around playing on steep crap I would rather have the room to maneuver from a dropper more than 20mm more fork and 1 deg slacker HA. If I wanted race down that gnar probably both, but just riding around I can mange being a little slower and picking my way through. But that is my viewpoint.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I ride a RKT 9 RDO with a 120mm 34 SC fork and it is a great race bike, a fast climber and capable descender. You definitely want a 120 fork with that bike, the head angle is otherwise pretty steep.

I really like the Yeti SB100, looks like a sweet ride that is tons of fun, but it is heavier than most race rockets out there, so it might not be the best climber but it would likely be the best descender in this category.

I would check out the Canyon Lux. I haven’t ridden one but it looks like the ultimate race rocket, great geometry, super light weight, 100mm of travel, two water bottles. The only problem is most Canyon models and sizes are perennially out of stock...