R.I.P 9 Sizing- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: R.I.P 9 Sizing

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    R.I.P 9 Sizing

    I am 5'8" and I have a 31" inseam and I'm looking at buying a Niner R.I.P 9 frame but I'm not sure what size to go with. According to Niner I'm right between a small and medium. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, what size did you go with? Do you go up or do you go down? My current bike is a Medium size frame Rockhopper 29er and its top tube length is in the middle of Niner's small and medium. Help me out guys.

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    I would have said small but that is quite a long inseam for your height & the seat post length may come into play.

    What sort of tracks do you ride the most & how brave are you ?
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    I ride mostly midwest singletrack around Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. It's not extremely rough and I know that this will be more bike than I need around here but I would like to be able to have a bike that I can travel with. I'm pretty brave... Why?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    509
    I had a medium and sold it. Just got a small and it fits way better. I'm 5'8 also....check out the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P 9 Sizing-rip-001.jpg  

    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

  5. #5
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bcabbiness
    I ride mostly midwest singletrack around Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. It's not extremely rough and I know that this will be more bike than I need around here but I would like to be able to have a bike that I can travel with. I'm pretty brave... Why?
    Because if you were not brave I would have said that the Med would be more stable on fast ruff down hill.

    If your brave the Rip9 will be a great bike for you,I love my Jet9 but it can't put a smile on my face like the Rip9 can that is for sure.

    It is very hard when you are between sizes & riding one is the best way to tell.

    My wife is 5'3 & I have a small Jet9 coming for her (today I hope ) so it was easy to work out size but I think there is more 5'8 people riding the small than the Med.

    I'm 6 foot & ride a Lge Rip9 & find it great,I like a larger bike,I can ride med but just feel more at home on Lge.

    With the bike you have what stem length do you run & what saddle to BB height ?
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    What do your inseams measure? I'm not near my bike so I can't answer that question. I see what you're saying about stability on the downhill, but if I get a small my wife is going to steal it!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Do you reccommend 120mm fork or 140mm

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    Quite simple really....What length stem do you have on the RH right now and does it fit you well? If you have a stem in the 100-120mm range I would suggest the Medium and a shorter stem, if by chance you have a 90mm< then go with the small and longer stem, or maybe even try it that way.

    Hope that helps some
    Quote Originally Posted by bcabbiness
    I am 5'8" and I have a 31" inseam and I'm looking at buying a Niner R.I.P 9 frame but I'm not sure what size to go with. According to Niner I'm right between a small and medium. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, what size did you go with? Do you go up or do you go down? My current bike is a Medium size frame Rockhopper 29er and its top tube length is in the middle of Niner's small and medium. Help me out guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  9. #9
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bcabbiness
    Do you reccommend 120mm fork or 140mm
    Because you are brave that 1 would be easy go with the rockshox XX 120 with the remote lock out.

    I have the 140 on my Rip9 at the moment & don't really find it any better,I guess for someone that is not brave the slacker angle may help but for me the remote lockout does far more to improve the bike & what you can do with it.

    There has been alot of calls form some people to go slacker in head angle on the Rip9 but IMO that has alot more to do with there Lack of skills than the fact that the bike needs it.

    That said if they made a 160mm fork for the WFO that would be good.

    I have no problems climbing with the 140 at all & I like the 140 on shuttle runs but there is no way I would be as fast through single track with the 140 as I am with the 120 but that is about the remote lock out & not travel,The handling is very much the same.

    BUT IMO you must go through axle on the front no matter what fork you go with.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thank you Muzzanic for letting me pick your brain. It definitely helps with my decision making. So do you like the fact that they slackened the headtube angle on the 2011 or would you recommend me buying a 2010 model? Does this effect your recommendation of the fork? If you had it to do over again, would you put the 140mm fork on your R.I.P?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    That's ONE opinion, based on his PERSONAL preference, I would advise you try to test ride one and/or do some browsing of MTBR, do some searches and read OTHER peoples thoughts on it - there's loads of info on here - and then make your own decision. Me PERSONALLY am one of the ones who said it needed to be slacker, but what do I know, I just use my slacked out Paradox HT as a crutch for my lack of riding abilities along with all the others who seem to like slacker angles
    Quote Originally Posted by bcabbiness
    Thank you Muzzanic for letting me pick your brain. It definitely helps with my decision making. So do you like the fact that they slackened the headtube angle on the 2011 or would you recommend me buying a 2010 model? Does this effect your recommendation of the fork? If you had it to do over again, would you put the 140mm fork on your R.I.P?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,423
    I'm 5'6" inseam 29+" have a small Rip9 fits perfect although any shorter and I would have to cut some seatpost(350mm). It's setup with a 140 Marz and I really like it there, no problem on the ups and feels great coming down in any steepness I've tried, plus it rails ST. I was coming from an IH 7point3 which is much slacker.

  13. #13
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bcabbiness
    Thank you Muzzanic for letting me pick your brain. It definitely helps with my decision making. So do you like the fact that they slackened the headtube angle on the 2011 or would you recommend me buying a 2010 model? Does this effect your recommendation of the fork? If you had it to do over again, would you put the 140mm fork on your R.I.P?
    I would go with the 2011 Rip9,The 1 deg slacker will not worry the frame either & I think that is how Niner thought about it & that way it will suit more people.

    I still would choose the 120mm fork if it was my only FS 29er it just gives more options.

    The 140 does't change the Rip that much in the way it rides,Its a little better on steep stairs & things.

    IMO it really comes down to if you lay into a bike on climbs the remote lockout is best & if your a sit & pedal then the 140 is fine but once again it is not so much about the way the bike handles because its good with both forks its more about how your going to ride it.

    I Have both forks for my bike & will keep both forks.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  14. #14
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That's ONE opinion, based on his PERSONAL preference, I would advise you try to test ride one and/or do some browsing of MTBR, do some searches and read OTHER peoples thoughts on it - there's loads of info on here - and then make your own decision. Me PERSONALLY am one of the ones who said it needed to be slacker, but what do I know, I just use my slacked out Paradox HT as a crutch for my lack of riding abilities along with all the others who seem to like slacker angles
    I am with Lynx on the medium when I consider your inseam. I am a M/L tweener in height at 5"10, but with with a 35" inseam I am a large all the way. When I had not ridden a bike for a few years due to injury, and my skills were down, the medium was a better fit. When I got back up to my usual speed, I couldn't even ride a medium.

    Good luck.

    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  15. #15
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,279
    I'm 5'8" 30" inseam and ride a Small Fits perfect

  16. #16
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That's ONE opinion, based on his PERSONAL preference, I would advise you try to test ride one and/or do some browsing of MTBR, do some searches and read OTHER peoples thoughts on it - there's loads of info on here - and then make your own decision. Me PERSONALLY am one of the ones who said it needed to be slacker, but what do I know, I just use my slacked out Paradox HT as a crutch for my lack of riding abilities along with all the others who seem to like slacker angles
    Ha ha yes I was having a dig at you

    My point is that my friends sister was woman's down hill world champ & she could kick the but of most people down hill even if she was riding a XC fs bike,she just goes & gets the job done & the op is looking for a bike to ride not looking for a DH bike.

    I guess I just don't like people buying the wrong bike for them & then saying it needs this or that they should just buy what suits them in the first place

    By inlarge the problem is not with the frames it has more to do with the lack of good fork options eg a Rip9 with a remote travel adjust 120/140/160 fork for the Rip9 would be on my shopping list real fast.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  17. #17
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,535
    I'm 6' with a 34 inseam. I have a Medium RIP9. I haven't ridden a Large, but I like how this rides. I have a lot of post showing, but all my bikes are like that.

    I am not sure if I'm brave or not, but I love this bike...

  18. #18
    craigsj
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    I'm 6' with a 34 inseam. I have a Medium RIP9. I haven't ridden a Large, but I like how this rides. I have a lot of post showing, but all my bikes are like that.

    I am not sure if I'm brave or not, but I love this bike...
    I am slightly larger than that and also prefer the medium RIP. On more XC oriented bikes I prefer one size larger. That may sound backward to some but it isn't.

    My advice to the OP would be to forget thinking he's going to get a good fit based on any consensus in this thread and instead consider how his previous bikes fit and how he liked them. There's more than one way to fit a bike and riders can generally fit more than one size.

  19. #19
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj
    I am slightly larger than that and also prefer the medium RIP. On more XC oriented bikes I prefer one size larger. That may sound backward to some but it isn't.

    My advice to the OP would be to forget thinking he's going to get a good fit based on any consensus in this thread and instead consider how his previous bikes fit and how he liked them. There's more than one way to fit a bike and riders can generally fit more than one size.
    I agree & often if one ask's enough questions about the bike that they are riding now that will give them better answers than what other people think.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  20. #20
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    I'm 6' with a 34 inseam. I have a Medium RIP9. I haven't ridden a Large, but I like how this rides. I have a lot of post showing, but all my bikes are like that.

    I am not sure if I'm brave or not, but I love this bike...
    I'm the same size as you & also had a Med Rip9,I run my seat at 800mm from BB & for me ( with bad pedaling style ) I had a lot more troble on the med keeping the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs (Seated )
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    92
    I am 5'9 1/2, same inseam but have shorter arms, switched stem from 100 to 70 mm and things seem fine on the medium. Can get behind the seat if needed. Never tried a small though.
    Defiant MTB - nothing complicated just ride....

  22. #22
    pedal damnit!
    Reputation: whackum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    125
    5'8 here with 31 inseam. went with a small and can do everything i want with the rip9. LOTS of seatpost exposed but i like the slightly quicker handling. do mostly xc but also have no problems when pointing the nose downhill. no matter which size i can pretty much guarantee you're gonna love the RIP9. just a really fun, do it all bike.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    116
    Is anybody assuming because the Rip in the earlier post is red that it must be a 2011
    bikesonburke

  24. #24
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by pete weber
    Is anybody assuming because the Rip in the earlier post is red that it must be a 2011
    No there were some late 2010 in red is what I was told.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    811
    Get the Reba 140 it isn't heavier and it can be reduced..

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    116
    Yeah I have a friend who found this the hard way.Still a great bike but he paid full pull for a frame he believed was an 11, which is kind of hard to swallow when they've been selling at Scapegoat for a clearance price. LBS believed it was an 11 also. IMHO this one's on Niner
    bikesonburke

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    If you're brave, find a WFO on sale in a small or medium at SpeedGoat, and run a 140mm. Save the money and apply it to a good wheelset..

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    997
    my wife is as well 5 8 with 31.5 inseam. she rides a small jet9. long legs, shorter upper body require a shorter top tube. unless you got crazy long arms.

    twisted singletrails will be more fun on the smaller frame, high speed stability you get with the larger frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.