Quiver killer- Mtbr.com

Thread: Quiver killer

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020

Quiver killer

On the mythical quest to find the bike that does it all.
    I do a lot of different riding, from rough and technical xc to full on enduro, with a couple bike park days thrown in the mix.
    I have tried the orbea occam, ripmo, and Tallboy 4. Neither really did it for me. The occam and Tallboy never felt dialed to me, and while the ripmo felt very comfortable fit wise, I found it a bit too Cadillac like for my tastes.
    Would love some suggestions for efficient trail bikes in the 130-140mm travel range.

Budget is around 4500-5000 dollars, and happy to shop used

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Revel Rascal, YT Izzo, Canyon Neuron. Just throwing them out there, unfortunately I don't have any time on either.

Evil Offering. Rented one of these for our UPS, LPS, Porcupine Rim day last May. Nice bike, I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if you could get into one at your pricepoint.

mtbr member
    SB130? (Although...a used Yeti...caveat emptor and all that).

A little over budget ($5399), but, maybe, Alchemy Arktos 29? (160/140)

Maybe look to Guerilla Gravity? You could buy a bike, a couple of seatstays, a couple of shocks and forks and literally have: an XC/DC (trail pistol), mini enduro (Pistola), Enduro (Smash), a bigger enduro (Gnarvana), some 27.5 options if you bought some wheels...or any combination of those things.

Not to mention a Trail Pistol and Pistola seems plenty capable; mid-level build $4795.

Nurse Ben in 3...2...1...

Thicc Member
    Do you want a bike that does it all or do you want an efficient trail bike 130-140mm?

The only reason I don't ride my 160mm bikes on mellow terrain is because they make it boring. They're just too good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fuel EX with a 150 fork, and maybe a DPX2 shock.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...=reddark_black

Under budget, upgrade to better set of wheels with the extra money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    The only reason I don't ride my 160mm bikes on mellow terrain is because they make it boring. They're just too good.
    The only thing not boring on mellow terrain is a unicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ibis Ripley?

mtbr member
    Might be able to find a used 2020 Switchblade. Gets great reviews. The base model is right at 5500 new if you can stretch the budget. Most people that ride love it. Front travel is a bit more than you are looking for but when I rode it it seemed well matched to the 140 rear. Maybe a Trail 429. It gets good reviews as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...=reddark_black

Under budget, upgrade to better set of wheels with the extra money.
    hi, as i see this bike popping up all the time could you please calmly explain your point of view - what is worth an additional $1500 on this specific trek ex 8 xt compared to this build?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

i have it on pre-order, so, will see what it will be, but, a $1500 is not a spare change. i have friends who ride cheaper builds than this one above and they are just fine, but, anyway - what makes that trek to be worth of a $3500 retail?

high pivot witchcraft

Quiver killer

Complete build, XT, $5299 USD:

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Quiver killer-img_0478.jpg
    Quiver killer-img_0479.jpg
    Quiver killer-img_0480.jpg

Squamish proven:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...t-reviews/3648

"We have always been drawn to short travel bikes with a gravity bias, so we reached out to our friends in Cumberland, BC to get ourselves the Druid for a few months of riding in Squamish, BC..."

"...we never felt the need to use the compression lever on the shock to help with efficiency and very few can match its technical climbing prowess..."

"Regardless of what section we rode and how we rode it, the Druid was planted and confidence-inspiring when we dropped our heels, and poppy and playful when we jibbed about. On the shorter punchy bits, the lack of pedal feedback meant we could put power to the ground easily without blowing our feet off, and the shorter-than-usual travel meant we could climb far more efficiently than the enduro bikes that tend to frequent the trail most of the time..."

"Regardless of feeling a little badly about dragging a 130mm bike up the chairlift, the Druid took rougher trails in stride and was an absolute rocket ship on trails like Ninja Cougar. After being so fun on the rolling, playful trails in Squamish we were impressed that the Druid also felt planted and composed on such high-speed, abusive trails."

"The Druid makes a strong case as the pound-for-pound most capable bike we have thrown a leg over. It is energetic and nimble at lower speeds, and as the speeds and terrain get more demanding, the bike lengthens and settles into itself. Forbidden has created an extremely versatile bike, and the Druid confirms that the idler excels in applications other than just DH bikes. In a place like the Sea to Sky corridor, the terrain is intimidating enough that many folks rely on a long-travel bike for the handful of gnarly bits within a given ride, but a shorter travel bike like the Druid is capable enough to absorb the heavy impacts, and much more fun everywhere in between."

"...short travel ďdowncountryĒ bikes do not inspire the same confidence, nor can they withstand the abuse in a place like Squamish. The Forbidden Druid is truly a downhillerís trail bike: capable enough for reckless abandon, efficient enough that a recreational cross-country race is not out of the question and playful enough that mellower trails are still engaging. The Trifecta suspension design is proof that the high idler concept is effective and efficient in places other than the downhill track, and we would bet our bottom dollar that a race-oriented 160mm Forbidden offering would be an absolute weapon. The Druid is a great option for anyone but is best suited to those looking for a mini-DH bike that will allow them to climb efficiently and descend like hooligans."

Plus Lewis Buchanan aboard the 130mm Druid, soon to be competing in the Enduro World Series...

Best bike I have ever ridden. And that includes all DW and VPP variations. It literally does it all. With no compromise.

High. Pivot. Witchcraft.

Quiver killer-img_0477.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Thicc Member
    The main reason the Fuel ex8 is $3500 is because it's a Trek. The problem with getting that bike is that you'll be riding a Trek. And actually bikesdirect usually make me throw up a little in my mouth but that Motobecane doesn't look half bad.

For instance, the Intense Primer expert build is the same price as the Trek, but it's a full carbon frame. No knockblock. No special shock. No split pivot. No reason the Trek should be that expensive.

The Ripmo AF Deore is $3200 with better suspension and DW linkage. A far superior machine for $300 less.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    People sure do have opinions. Too bad theyíre often baseless.

Iím currently on a 2020 EX8. Itís a significantly better bike than any Trek Iíve previously ridden. Once you put a proper fork on and decent brakes, itís pretty rad.

It blows the doors off the SB130. Pretty comparable to the Ripmo, more plush, less snappy.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lawnman View Post
    Ibis Ripley?
    ^+1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You rang?

So yeah, a quiver killer for someone who likes to go hard, but doesnít want to haul around their grandmas sofa.

A short travel 29er brawler, GG Pistola is what I ride, Knolly Fugitive has a good rep, Iím sure there are others.

The things Iíd look for are burly build, aggressive geo, good stoppers, meaty tires.

Itís gotta be a bike thatís built for enduro, but doesnít ride uphill like youre dragging an anchor.

I like the Pistola because itís so adjustable (two headset positions and two lower cup heights) it can be changed into other configurations, easy to swap wheels or run mixed wheels, and of course itís made in Colorado 😊

I flog my Pistola like I would a big travel bike, itís just solid. At the same time Iíll ride it for an all day epic and climb/descend 10k, never feels like too much bike; my Megatrail did feel like too much bike.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    SB130? (Although...a used Yeti...caveat emptor and all that).

A little over budget ($5399), but, maybe, Alchemy Arktos 29? (160/140)

Maybe look to Guerilla Gravity? You could buy a bike, a couple of seatstays, a couple of shocks and forks and literally have: an XC/DC (trail pistol), mini enduro (Pistola), Enduro (Smash), a bigger enduro (Gnarvana), some 27.5 options if you bought some wheels...or any combination of those things.

Not to mention a Trail Pistol and Pistola seems plenty capable; mid-level build $4795.

Nurse Ben in 3...2...1...
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    There is only one solution to your dilemma. Pick an Ibis and be a dick about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    There is only one solution to your dilemma. Pick an Ibis and be a dick about it.

Pot, kettle...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Might be able to find a used 2020 Switchblade. Gets great reviews. The base model is right at 5500 new if you can stretch the budget. Most people that ride love it. Front travel is a bit more than you are looking for but when I rode it it seemed well matched to the 140 rear. Maybe a Trail 429. It gets good reviews as well.
    I was looking at these.. definitely piqued my interest, but seems very familiar to the ripmo. If I found that too burly Iíd be afraid that Iíd feel the same about this one

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Email brought an original message with all the drama - it is intriguing. So, something called Ibis vs trek bike - why should the world care? Just curious.

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lawnman View Post
    Ibis Ripley?
    Considered one for a while.. loved my buddies. Was a rocketship in climbs(which is super important to me). the thought of hucking one 6 feet to flatish makes me cringe a little bit though

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You rang?

So yeah, a quiver killer for someone who likes to go hard, but doesnít want to haul around their grandmas sofa.

A short travel 29er brawler, GG Pistola is what I ride, Knolly Fugitive has a good rep, Iím sure there are others.

The things Iíd look for are burly build, aggressive geo, good stoppers, meaty tires.

Itís gotta be a bike thatís built for enduro, but doesnít ride uphill like youre dragging an anchor.

I like the Pistola because itís so adjustable (two headset positions and two lower cup heights) it can be changed into other configurations, easy to swap wheels or run mixed wheels, and of course itís made in Colorado 

I flog my Pistola like I would a big travel bike, itís just solid. At the same time Iíll ride it for an all day epic and climb/descend 10k, never feels like too much bike; my Megatrail did feel like too much bike.
    i have been looking at these.. I hate that the wait is sometime around 7 weeks right now, but it could be worth it. How does the pistol do on really slow, tight tech?

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Complete build, XT, $5299 USD:

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	1353019

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	1353021

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1353023

Squamish proven:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...t-reviews/3648

"We have always been drawn to short travel bikes with a gravity bias, so we reached out to our friends in Cumberland, BC to get ourselves the Druid for a few months of riding in Squamish, BC..."

"...we never felt the need to use the compression lever on the shock to help with efficiency and very few can match its technical climbing prowess..."

"Regardless of what section we rode and how we rode it, the Druid was planted and confidence-inspiring when we dropped our heels, and poppy and playful when we jibbed about. On the shorter punchy bits, the lack of pedal feedback meant we could put power to the ground easily without blowing our feet off, and the shorter-than-usual travel meant we could climb far more efficiently than the enduro bikes that tend to frequent the trail most of the time..."

"Regardless of feeling a little badly about dragging a 130mm bike up the chairlift, the Druid took rougher trails in stride and was an absolute rocket ship on trails like Ninja Cougar. After being so fun on the rolling, playful trails in Squamish we were impressed that the Druid also felt planted and composed on such high-speed, abusive trails."

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	1353017
    this is definitely high in my list.. I have just heard a lot of conflicting things about the suspension design. One guy on the Pinkbike forum said that if I found the ripmo too burly to avoid this Druid; something about it feeling like a mini dh bike.

How does it do on super tight twisty tech(up and down). Does it feel efficient under power?

mtbr member
    Here's mine.

I just happen to have 2 set up slightly differently.

I have raced xc (placed 3rd) ridden all day adventure rides, blazed park days, chased down mates in rigs during dh sessions, hit massive gaps, s, ride the basic walk ways and paths with my kids and everything in between.

Oh F#$K yeah.

I have been chasing the unicorn bike for years and years.

The key in my opinion is to go light but lots of travel. Get a 165-170mm frame, build it with light wheels and gear. Dont compromise on suspension. Hunt down the best grip/rolling resistance tyre for your style and terrain.

Then you can pedal all day and hit the big stuff.

The down side to the unicorn bike? its built for a short time not a long time. Going light with lots of travel means you can hit stuff that might break components/frames.

Quiver killer-viber_image_2020-08-02_15-26-43.jpg

MTB SOCAL

Evil Offering

Have you considered the Evil Offering?

I absolutely love my Evil Following v3 I recently built. But, I have a longer travel trail / enduro bike as well. If I was looking for a quiver killer, the Offering would be a strong option.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    this is definitely high in my list.. I have just heard a lot of conflicting things about the suspension design. One guy on the Pinkbike forum said that if I found the ripmo too burly to avoid this Druid; something about it feeling like a mini dh bike.

How does it do on super tight twisty tech(up and down). Does it feel efficient under power?
    Itís my go to bike for riding blue flow trails with my daughter, and for riding techy black singletrack (up and down) with my buddies. I need to get some miles in on my hard tail but I always reach for the Druid regardless of the terrain.

The Druid blew me away last year - not so much on the downs (because I knew what to expect) but on the climbs. I cleaned tons of stuff I have never been able to clean. Note that I never climb fire roads unless required.

Itís not what I would call ďrace quickĒ on the climbs, but I feel like I can claw my way up pretty much anything while remaining in a very comfortable climbing position throughout. Lots though have reported PRs climbing with the Druid, and some have come from one Ibis or another. You should maybe check out the Forbidden thread in the General forum to see what others have said about the climbing abilities of the Druid, and what bike or bikes they are coming from.

I blew up the lower chain guide on Saturday, strictly from mileage. The inner plastic/rubber parts were completely shredded. My LBS didnít have any in stock so I ran it yesterday and today with no lower guide. Wow. I didnít think there was any driveline drag before. I was wrong. Without that lower guide, that bike feels motorized on the climbs. No dropped chains either yesterday or today, although I will be taking it on a solo blast on some more challenging terrain tomorrow to really run it through its paces without the lower guide. So far so good though. Guide-less, I can now say that yes - it is almost ďquickĒ on the climbs. Itís definitely efficient - I leave my 11-6 in the down mode 100% of the time. No bobbing on the climbs. Just really nice effortless traction.

I know this is sounding over the top. Sorry for that. Maybe try to throw a leg over one if you get the chance, and draw your own conclusions. What I can say is that I have chewed through so many bikes in search of ďthe oneĒ that itís ridiculous. I feel no urge to continue searching. Not at the moment anyway. I havenít felt that way for a long time. Certainly not since 2014 when I retired my Scott Ransom LTD.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    The problem with the notion of a quiver-killer is that it's highly subjective to the individuals preferences. Just looking at the Santa Cruz line up, for example, depending on how you ride and which areas you're more willing to compromise on your quiver-killer could be the 5010, Bronson, Tallboy, Hightower or Megatower. Most modern bikes are pretty damn versatile, with sensible tyres you could easily pilot a Megatower on an all-day marathon type ride, and similarly you could go hard at the local club enduro on a 5010 or Tallboy and while maybe you wouldn't be a front-runner you probably wouldn't be totally outside of what the bike is capable of. Bronson or Hightower would both do a better job of both those scenarios, but would also favour neither scenario at the same time; jack of all trades master of none sorta thing.

It's really up to you to figure out what you're prepared to sacrifice and what you want to prioritise. The internet can't tell you that, but the good news is you can figure it out by riding bikes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    i have been looking at these.. I hate that the wait is sometime around 7 weeks right now, but it could be worth it. How does the pistol do on really slow, tight tech?
    It's worth the wait.

All I ride is tight tech, slow and fast, love it.

I've leaned more toward the 27.5 side, so I ride the Pistola and the Shred in 27.5, either bike will run both wheel sizes, just depends which one you want to be low or high in your preferred configuration.

The Pistola with 27.5 is amazing in the flowy stuff, but sits kinda low for tech, so it works best all around with the bigger wheels. I run really short cranks (152mm), so I have a little more latitude for a low BB than most folks.

What's cool is you can mix and match so many parts, literally one bike can be made into three bike in a matter of minutes.

It's also a burly bike that takes a beating.

EDIT: Speaking of burly, who thinks the Ripmo is burly, raise your hand: Okay, so one person

So yeah, burly means different things to different people. To me burly means capable of being ridden in gnarly terrain and can take a beating when you crash. Burly doesn't have to mean soggy or heavy handling, nor does it have to mean heavy and cumbersome.

I tend to pick parts that can take a beating, so aluminum everything, flat pedals, TRP Quadiem brakes, XT drivetrain. No carbon for me other than the GG frame which is not fragile by any stretch.

Thicc Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    Then let the Ibis do the job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good call. I wonder if the people here will get it.

Thicc Member
    Probably not since I flubbed it. Fixed.

mtbr member
    Just a thought. Since quiver-killer is subjective, determine what that means for you. What do you ride 70-80 percent of the time and what's the other 20-30%? I live in Colorado and my Trek Fuel EX 9 (140/130) handles 85% of my rides (local Enduro trails, DH trails, Xc trails - bike parks not so much). It will accomplish the other 15% but not as well. But that 15% is acceptable to me because I would be over-biked otherwise. Everyone is going to think that the bike they own is the best, because it's human nature to not look objectively outside of what they've invested in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think the only true quiver killer is the Guerilla Gravity bikes, because for less than $2k extra you can have a trail bike or a full on downhill bike (swapping out the fork, shock, and rear triangle).

Most people just have two or three bikes.

Most of the bikes suggested in this thread are pretty great and will do many things well, expect large hucks and drops that require significantly more travel.

I do know a lot of people just swear by the Pivot Firebird and suffer the uphills with it. Get in shape!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Just a thought. Since quiver-killer is subjective, determine what that means for you. What do you ride 70-80 percent of the time and what's the other 20-30%? I live in Colorado and my Trek Fuel EX 9 (140/130) handles 85% of my rides (local Enduro trails, DH trails, Xc trails - bike parks not so much). It will accomplish the other 15% but not as well. But that 15% is acceptable to me because I would be over-biked otherwise. Everyone is going to think that the bike they own is the best, because it's human nature to not look objectively outside of what they've invested in.
    Agreed, but some folks don't mind hauling around too much bike and others don't liek to be undergunned.

The key to being adequately gunned even when undergunned, is getting a bike that has the build and geo to handle the rough stuff.