Quick Decision Evil Following or Niner Rip 9 RDO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick Decision Evil Following or Niner Rip 9 RDO

I cracked my 2013 rally blue RIP 9 frame and Niners AWESOME customer / warranty service is replacing it with the new RIP 9 RDO 2015 frame in green / white. The frame should arrive at my LBS late this week or next.

However, i've been eyeing Evil bikes for quite some time and have read a lot of great things about the delta single pivot and how this bike handles.

Im thinking i could buy the evil frame and sell the niner frame. Retail on the niner frame is $2,900, a popular bike websites buy / sell forums has the niner frame for sale at $2,600. (i would want to clear $2k for the frame after all fees etc.). Looks like all of my current hardware will fit with exception to the BB (Niner is threaded evils is PF)

What do you guys think?
    Jason
    Trek Remedy 2016 - 9.8 w/ Fox 36
    Carver Titanium O'Beast w/ Bluto
    Specialized Secteur w/ Carbon fork
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Probably depends on what type of riding you do. Stick with the Niner if you want more of a XC bike. Go with the Following if you want a better all rounder, or want to feel more confident on the DH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Niner has way better customer service and a long track record for their bikes being solid. Evil has had a hell of a time supporting their customers if a frame breaks. Like 6 month wait times for a new frame kinds of problems.

That being said, the "The Following" is much more of a DH/Enduro oriented trail bike than the RIP. All depends on where you are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemtb47 View Post
    Niner has way better customer service and a long track record for their bikes being solid. Evil has had a hell of a time supporting their customers if a frame breaks. Like 6 month wait times for a new frame kinds of problems.

That being said, the "The Following" is much more of a DH/Enduro oriented trail bike than the RIP. All depends on where you are.
    That was the case historically, but they're trying to change that. Is that still the case?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Read stuff in the Evil forum. No cs problems because they are using a much better fabricator.
    The bike is currently one of the best.
    First Ride Review: Evil Bikes The Following - Mtbr.com
    One Lap - Lars Sternberg & Luke Strobel in Xanadu

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemtb47 View Post

Hmm and all those cracked frames in the Niner forum? All lies?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    TwoTone, how do you like that carver 420? I bet that thing is awesome.

Thanks for the replies, ive been doing a lot of research hence the delay in response.

I live in Eastern PA and have a wide range of trails available, from smooth flow to long rocky climbs & descents. If i want to hit a DH park i just rent the bikes *and insurance, there.

Niners customer service is awesome and i have zero complaints. If i end up keeping the niner frame i certainly wont be disappointed.

And while i love my RIP 9, i've been considering getting a bike that is a bit more playful. I was originally planning on getting a transition scout in the spring, but if getting the following will get me what i want then i could save money for better a wheelset etc.

If i knew i could sell the Rip 9 frame then my decision would be a lot easier. Do you guys think i could unload the frame for 25% below retail?
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongalt26 View Post
    Retail on the niner frame is $2,900, a popular bike websites buy / sell forums has the niner frame for sale at $2,600. (i would want to clear $2k for the frame after all fees etc.).
    I wouldn't count on selling your frame for close to the market price. The retail frames carry the warranty and the awesome customer service. Your replacement frame wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I wouldn't count on selling your frame for close to the market price. The retail frames carry the warranty and the awesome customer service. Your replacement frame wouldn't.
    This, some people might pay it but I wouldn't. The risk I take buying a used frame, the cost has to take that risk into account. Why buy a used frame to save $600 when I end up screwed if it breaks?

Like the Carver, I just may be getting too old for HTs.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's one on ebay now for 1700 or best including shipping.

mtbr member
    I think i'll just stick with my niner frame and save the money.
    Thanks for the advice!
    J
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If it were me I'd sell the frame and move way up to the Following.
    You won't ever get more for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't miss the opportunity, the frame has max value and you are ready for achange by your own admission. (Max value does not mean full retail or close) you are also in a position to transfer parts to what sounds like an amazing bike by all accounts, and without getting jammed yet by Boost 148.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Live in Austin, its all rocks and roots here. Most trails are punchy ups and downs. RIP9s are one of the more popular bikes here because they're great all-rounders and really good technical climbers.

I also own a Phantom and used to own a BlurTR, which are similar in geo to the Evil. The short-travel /slack geo is a ton of fun but I'm not 100% convinced it is faster overall on my trails. Climbing and low speed tech stuff is just a tiny bit harder on my Phantom. I smack the pedals a lot more. Point it downhill and it flat out rips. I took it to some bike parks in CO and it was fantastic.

So be honest with yourself, your trails and how you ride. I played around with offset bushings in my RIP to slacken the head angle and lower the bb a tad. Not a night and day difference but did make it tad more playful.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the additional info. The bike shop that will be doing my build-up / parts transfer we're pushing the pivot trail 429 since they sell those, indicating that the geometry on the niner is a bit dated. Unfortunately the pivot is boost so i'd need new hubs on top of all of the other expenses haha.

Greenblur, sounds like we have similar trail types although we probably have more trees. There's definitely a lot of low speed tech, heck there are only a few trails around where i can really jump on the throttle without having to hit a switchback etc.

I think i'm just going to save money in the ole bike budget for a complete new bike this spring. This will give me time to demo a couple more bikes and I'm interested in the 650b Transition Scout (same geo as The Following, smaller tires). Losing a grand+ on the frame swap plus some other minor changes could eat up too much of my budget.

I wish i could test ride the evil, if i was buying a new bike right now and didnt have a 29er, this would be on the shortlist.

Niner
    Chain: 17.7
    Wheelbase: 44.6
    Headtube Angle: 69.5

Evil Following
    Chain: 16.93 [-.8"]
    Wheelbase: 45 [+.4"]
    Headtube Angle: 67

Transition Scout
    Chain: 16.7
    Wheelbase: 45.2
    Headtube Angle: 67
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Niner and Crank Bros have the best CS in the industry........wonder why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Because they have a lot of opportunity?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Practice makes perfect :-)

mtbr member
    To the OPs wonderings,yeah don't, you're on the right track, the following would make a much better all around bike. I have a Phantom and I love it, my friend had a SJ FSR S-works, he fell ALL THE TIME, I suggested a Following to him (because I knew he'd want carbon), eventually after some research he listened, when he got it,before we even finished the first trail he could not believe the difference between it an the Stumpy, can count the number of times he's fallen since he got it on one hand and have fingers left over and that's well over 6 months ago.

Sorry to say, but have to agree with these guys on this. If you live in the US or Canada, then great CS means something, if you live in the rest of the world, not so much, better to have products that don't need CS
    Practice makes perfect :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I have been in your shoes in that last Dec. I bought a Rip 9 Carbon because of the crazy close out sale. No regrets! I rode the hell out of it. But all of the buzz around The Following keep me wondering up until this July. I love my Niner's have nothing bad to say about them, but The Following is something special. If you want better climbing, more playful, and better downs. Trust me whatever you have to do to make The Following apart of your bike stable. DO IT! Check out Niner's thread (Following vs. Rip 9 RDO)
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    I love my Niner's have nothing bad to say about them, but The Following is something special. If you want better climbing, more playful, and better downs. Trust me whatever you have to do to make The Following apart of your bike stable. DO IT! Check out Niner's thread (Following vs. Rip 9 RDO)
    What I would have given for this post a week ago haha. The bike shop that handled the warranty replacement (Shirks, West of Philly, great shop BTW) called me tuesday afternoon to let me know my bike was ready. I picked it up last night. That matte white frame for Niner is absolutely gorgeous, until it gets lightly touched by anything not white. This will be impossible to keep clean.

Anyways, there was a new frame on sale at pinkbike ($1,900) and on ebay (starting bid $1,500) and neither one had any hits, nor sold.

My question now is, is it worth $2900 to upgrade to the Following?

One option that I do have is that my LBS will let me trade in my niner for a Pivot 429 Trail which is similar in geo to the following. The thing they mentioned to me was that since the 429 trail uses boost on both wheels I could swap rims to a 650b. Hrmmm i wonder if they will let me trade in for a following.

I was already looking to get a fun, playful, bouncy, great turning radius, short travel bike this Spring. I was looking at the 650b's for this (specifically 2b5c, transition scout etc) Do you have any experience with the 650's for a comparison to the following? I feel like i dont get the full use of the speed of a 29er since the majority of the trails in this area are tight & windy. (some arent though and those are fuuuun)
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think you should go for the Following then I may be able to ride it if you are in Eastern PA ;-)

mtbr member
    haha hell yea, my friends say the same thing.... would be great if someone in our region already had one i live 2 miles from marsh creek, in Downingtown (near west chester) and you?
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would get the new Trek Fuel EX 9.9 frame from Shirks, the 429 Trail is a nice bike but the front end not as planted to the ground as the Niner or the Trek. I just sold my 429 trail frame. Searching just like you for the perfect bike, I did try the Following and really liked it!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jongalt - that's funny I grew up 2 miles from Marsh Creek. I now live south of Pottstown but ride Marsh Creek a lot. I am on an old Santa Cruz Superlight and have started thinking about a full upgrade.

mtbr member
    Real tough decision u have here! But here's how I look at it. I've always been a hog. Thinking I needed more then one bike,then two bikes, and the three bikes with a couple of frames sitting in boxes just in case I wanted to switch it up. CRAZY RIGHT.
    I all honesty I wasn't prepared for what the following did for me. I thought it would just be another bike or another reason to get a bike but it ended up changing the way I thought of all that. Now I have two bikes the evil and the steel hardtail. Got all my bases covered and as of now anyways not looking back.
    GOOD LUCK BUD! My advice for you take all your chips and put them on evil you won't lose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdilf View Post
    Jongalt - that's funny I grew up 2 miles from Marsh Creek. I now live south of Pottstown but ride Marsh Creek a lot. I am on an old Santa Cruz Superlight and have started thinking about a full upgrade.
    Nice, community bikes & boards is having a demo day at Nox this sunday, I'll be there.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    Real tough decision u have here! But here's how I look at it. I've always been a hog. Thinking I needed more then one bike,then two bikes, and the three bikes with a couple of frames sitting in boxes just in case I wanted to switch it up.

GOOD LUCK BUD! My advice for you take all your chips and put them on evil you won't lose.
    I currently have a Ti 29+ / 26" fat hard tail that i love. If I get the following, which is what I am leaning towards, then i would sell the niner. I dont see any need to have two 29" FS AM / Trail bikes in the quiver. The nice thing is that I can get the following and transfer some of the parts of my niner to it (fork etc) and then upgrade those parts over time, then sell the niner when the Following is built up.

The other two 650b bikes that i have narrowed it down too are the Transition Scout (alum) and Specialized Camber (carbon) All 3 bikes are really close in geometry which is interesting considering the wheel size difference. The camber has the shortest stays & wheelbase. Luckily I'll be able to demo the Scout on Sunday and the Camber this Saturday to see how i like the 27.5".

thanks for the advice! Im hoping i dont love the 650b's so my decision will be easier.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I would get the new Trek Fuel EX 9.9 frame from Shirks, the 429 Trail is a nice bike but the front end not as planted to the ground as the Niner or the Trek. I just sold my 429 trail frame. Searching just like you for the perfect bike, I did try the Following and really liked it!!
    That Trek is really nice but not quite what I want. That's interesting about the 429, I rode it around the lot at shirks and liked it. Plus that bike is spec'd beautifully with Boost and all of the other options. Even the bearings can't be beat. The one Major flaw for that bike is that there aren't internal routing ports in an effort to make assembly easier and reduce frame costs. I can understand the assembly, cause that might save 5 minutes. As far as saving money, i dont believe the consumer is saving squat. The routing of the cables on the downtube doesnt look very nice and more importantly, when i screw up a logover (inevitable) will i rupture a brake line haha.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

demo

Nice, community bikes & boards is having a demo day at Nox this sunday, I'll be there.
    Thanks for the info. I am interested in another Santa Cruz or and Evil - maybe a few others at this point. A Transition Scout would be cool to demo but in the end its too heavy for me.

mtbr member
    Thats a good point, it is a little big boned on the scale.

The new Bronson is getting mixed reviews, (my friend has last eyars model and loves it. And the 5010 looks solid
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I rented the Rip while in Sedona and really liked it. But now I own the Following. I haven't had it to Sedona, but I think it would be great there. I am in Maryland and ride much like what is in PA. Owned the bike since May and have never looked back. I can echo what others say and that is the bike will surprise you in a good way. If you like to push a different ride harder than most, the Following will come alive and you will see why it is so good.

mtbr member
    ... The routing of the cables on the downtube doesnt look very nice and more importantly, when i screw up a logover (inevitable) will i rupture a brake line haha.
    You would be surprised how strong those brake lines are. I've seen them wear right through aluminum bottom brackets from rubbing over time on suspension bikes. The cables still looked perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah top of my list would be the Santa Cruz 5010 V2 and the Tallboy (I haven't even decided what wheel size is best for me yet).

Have you decided what to do with the new Rip 9?

mtbr member
    Evil or Transition ^^ forget the rest

-----------------------------------------------------------
    'Yes! I'm an opinionated Mofo... Next question'.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I rented the Rip while in Sedona and really liked it. But now I own the Following. I haven't had it to Sedona, but I think it would be great there. I am in Maryland and ride much like what is in PA. Owned the bike since May and have never looked back. I can echo what others say and that is the bike will surprise you in a good way. If you like to push a different ride harder than most, the Following will come alive and you will see why it is so good.

Thats good to know, thanks! Im definitely leaning towards the Following.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Currently im riding the Rip, i set the suspension up to be a bit stiffer and it made a world of difference.
    If i get a 650b then i'll keep the Rip, if i get the following i'll end up selling the rip.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Evil or Transition ^^ forget the rest
    Can't disagree with that !
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    I'm demoing the Trek Remedy 9.8 from shirks for the next week, I need to research the differences between the fuel & remedy. The Remedy is nicely spec'd (XT 2x11, fox 36, mostly carbon except chainstays which i Really like that idea, boost of course etc)

Shirks will give me a $2,500 trade in for my niner. While it's not the best price i could get for my niner rip 9 rdo 2015, it's not horrible (im thinking i could get $3k to $3,500 if i hold out.) The niner has new frame, cassette, chain, 2 new chainrings and a newly serviced pike)

Im going to see if shirks will build up a following for me then the decisions will be easier haha.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm demoing the Trek Remedy 9.8 from shirks for the next week, I need to research the differences between the fuel & remedy. The Remedy is nicely spec'd (XT 2x11, fox 36, mostly carbon except chainstays which i Really like that idea, boost of course etc)

Shirks will give me a $2,500 trade in for my niner. While it's not the best price i could get for my niner rip 9 rdo 2015, it's not horrible (im thinking i could get $3k to $3,500 if i hold out.) The niner has new frame, cassette, chain, 2 new chainrings and a newly serviced pike)

Im going to see if shirks will build up a following for me then the decisions will be easier haha.
    If I decide on the Following, Shirks will be the one building it for me. It's between the Following and the Trek Fuel EX 9.9 for me. I'm also going to demo the Niner RKT that just came out. I love my WFO by the way!!

mtbr member
    Thats a hefty price tag on the 9.9. That RKT looks awesome too. We're definitely faced with hard decisions haha.

One thing i might mention, i need to verify if Shirks will even building a following. They mentioned in passing that 'they couldn't get them' but i dont know what that means, i shouldve asked for clarification. (i'll know more next week). I suspect they meant they 'couldnt get them at a dealer price'.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Personally, I'd go with the Following only because it seems EVERYONE is saying it's a game changer. When you see that from enough independent sources you know something's up.

I did that with the first Ibis Mojo - I had the first XL in Southern California, and let me tell you - that bike was a miracle for the time. It ruined me for other bikes. I'm hearing the same buzz about The Following, so that's making me curious. I'm a bit too heavy to ride it now (stupid Clyde weight) but if I were in the market, I'd get it.

Besides, look at it this way - if you end up not liking it, it'll might be easier to unload than a used RIP9 RDO. It has a huge buzz right now, so you won't have to sit on it for long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    All good points. Please keep us updated on how the weekend develops and what you decide later on.

mtbr member
    Consider the Ibis Ripley LS as well. It has a threaded bottom bracket now, and updated geometry, similar to the Following. It is lighter, and Ibis is well known for great customer service.

mtbr member
    DGW - FWIW I ran into someone at our local trails that was riding a following, was able to test the bike fit and I would ride a large with a short stem. This is unusual because my niner is a medium and the trek remedy is a 19.5 (which is equivalent to the medium)

And yea, i'll post after the rides, discussing and reviewing bikes is more fun than working.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    Consider the Ibis Ripley LS as well. It has a threaded bottom bracket now, and updated geometry, similar to the Following. It is lighter, and Ibis is well known for great customer service.
    The Ibis does look awesome geometry wise, it's definitely on my comparison list. (#4 to be exact haha). It has a really low BB but a nice short wheelbase and i really like the option of the rear wheel spacing. Thats great to know about their CS ! Thanks!
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    The Ibis does look awesome geometry wise, it's definitely on my comparison list. (#4 to be exact haha). It has a really low BB but a nice short wheelbase and i really like the option of the rear wheel spacing. Thats great to know about their CS ! Thanks!
    I messaged someone who first owned a Ripley, and then a Following, and now is onto something else. I wanted their opinion now that the stars were out of their eyes. I said I was leaning towards the Ripley because of the new geometry, Improved cable routing, threaded b/b, lighter weight, and we'll rated customer service.

He said that if he were in my shoes, he would go with the Ibis for exactly all those reasons, especially the customer service. He said they are an exceptional company, and he could easily see himself buying an LS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    owned a Ripley, and then a Following, and now is onto something else. I wanted their opinion now that the stars were out of their eyes. I said I was leaning towards the Ripley because of the new geometry, Improved cable routing, threaded b/b, lighter weight, and we'll rated customer service.
    The geo is pretty much spot on with the Trek Remedy, just a different suspension design. Im going to look to see if there is a place i can demo that, if anything, just to see what the differences are.

Did the guy you talked to mention what he's on now? Did he mention the differences in the rid on the ripley vs evil?
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    The geo is pretty much spot on with the Trek Remedy, just a different suspension design. Im going to look to see if there is a place i can demo that, if anything, just to see what the differences are.

Did the guy you talked to mention what he's on now? Did he mention the differences in the rid on the ripley vs evil?
    I think he went with a Canfield Riot. He was wanting to try something even more all mountain than the Following, and with even shorter chain stays. But he said if that turned out to be more bike than his needs, than he would go to the Ripley LS. The Riot is 140mm travel, and weighs at least 2 pounds more than the Ripley, so it's a bit of a different animal, probably catering more to someone who really wants to rip downhill.

He said that in moving to the Following, he liked the slacker head angle, and short chain stays. But he also loved the climbing of the Ripley, though he wished it was slacker and with better cable routing.

With the new changes, he thought the Ripley LS might be an ideal bike for lots of people. They stiffened it up a little with upgraded eccentrics that can be retrofitted to last years Ripley, increased tire clearance, improved cable routing, and lengthened the top tube while slackening the head angle. All changes that he felt were positive, and wished they had done to the original Ripley. I kind of got the feeling that had the LS been out sooner, he might not have went to the Following. But he seems to go through lots of bikes anyways.

I told him I love technical climbing, and want a bit more stability on the downhills, but that I don't go boosting off 4 and 5 foot drops. I'm more of a technical trail rider that really likes cleaning uphill challenges, and long rides. He thought that for me I would like the Ripley LS better. Not to mention, he says he still wears his Ibis hat everywhere, because he said their company just plain "rocks".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I built up my new RIP9 RDO with a dual position Pike 150/120 at the beginning of the year and it's my go-to bike. I rented a Trek Remedy 9 with a Pike 140 and Boost hubs while I was in Breckenridge, CO in September. The Remedy is a sweet bike. Definitely the best I've rented this year, and I've rented a lot on trips to California, Colorado, and Pisgah, NC. I'd have to ride it back-to-back with my RIP9 on similar trails to really contrast them, but these 2 bikes feel very similar in suspension compliance and handling, other than the front wheel of the Remedy being a more out in front from the longer front-center and slacker HTA. If you are riding really steep/gnarly stuff, or you are not as confident with descending, the Remedy would likely be the better bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I built up my new RIP9 RDO with a dual position Pike 150/120 at the beginning of the year and it's my go-to bike. I rented a Trek Remedy 9 with a Pike 140 and Boost hubs while I was in Breckenridge, CO in September. The Remedy is a sweet bike. Definitely the best I've rented this year, and I've rented a lot on trips to California, Colorado, and Pisgah, NC. I'd have to ride it back-to-back with my RIP9 on similar trails to really contrast them, but these 2 bikes feel very similar in suspension compliance and handling, other than the front wheel of the Remedy being a more out in front from the longer front-center and slacker HTA. If you are riding really steep/gnarly stuff, or you are not as confident with descending, the Remedy would likely be the better bike.
    Oh man, sounds like you had a lot of fun trips!
    I loved the remedy, I'll explain more in another post.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    If I decide on the Following, Shirks will be the one building it for me.
    I called shirks with my spec list for pricing on the following (I want XT so none of the stock builds work for me)
    I'll let you know how it goes but it looks like i'll be getting a new bike order put in this week. The Remedy was a blast to ride, 'cept the tires, those need to go.
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    All good points. Please keep us updated on how the weekend develops and what you decide later on.
    Im going to post my ride experience on the remedy in the Evil Following vs Trek Remedy thread. I was able to get 40 miles in over the weekend and hopefully another 10 before i return it on weds. Bottom line is i Love that bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/ev...dy-986933.html
    Specialized P-Slope