Question about monkey-nuts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about monkey-nuts

Has anyone attempted to cut an opening in the backside of the donut and fix them into the frame instead of running them on the hub axle? I was thinking about doing this but I am trying to figure out the easiest way to get them to stay in there. JB weld or wiring them in place are the 2 ways I have considered so far. I thought someone by now has tried this before and can lend some advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Epoxy?

You could use a few dabs of epoxy, or something similar. Why do you want to do this? Aesthetics, function, ...?

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    Has anyone attempted to cut an opening in the backside of the donut and fix them into the frame instead of running them on the hub axle? I was thinking about doing this but I am trying to figure out the easiest way to get them to stay in there. JB weld or wiring them in place are the 2 ways I have considered so far. I thought someone by now has tried this before and can lend some advice.
    You lost me at "backside of doughnut"....

Monkey nuts go around the skewer and really aren't that hard to manage....it gets fun when you're talkin' Nuts, single speed, and disc..but it's all good. Just make sure you don't bust them while spankin' your monkey...
    FS: Everything

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    I thought about it but never tried it. It should work......I'd use some strong epoxy and glue them in place.

Depending on your front derailleur you probably don't need them...I never did.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

I have...

...and it works great.

This is what you get. You don't need much JB Weld...the skewers will create squeeze out and spread it for ya'. I took mine out a little while back...pushed them out from the inside...didn't hurt them a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdog
    ...and it works great.

This is what you get. You don't need much JB Weld...the skewers will create squeeze out and spread it for ya'. I took mine out a little while back...pushed them out from the inside...didn't hurt them a bit.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. One question, did you remove paint from the dropout first?

mtbr member
    no. just threw down some jb and went to town. the nuts are very easy to cut. if you have a bench vise, clamp the nut flange(not the part that fits into the drop out) in the vise to make sure to cut a straight line... you may even be able to use tip snips, but i have a feeling they might booger up the edges.