Quality of Monocog Flight wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quality of Monocog Flight wheelset?

Hello,

Looking for some feedback on the stock wheels on the Monocog Flight. A bit heavy by some standards, I imagine, but how is the durability? I'm thinking about trying the Flight out, and although I already have some sweet wheels, I haven't been able to find a frameset, only complete bikes for sale. Was wondering if it might be worth giving the wheelset a shot, or if I should sell the wheels while they're still new and upgrade. I'm 225lbs with gear, and tend to be a bit hard on my bikes, but rode the stock Monocog wheels for a year without issue.

Thanks!

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    How about a link or at least mention what wheels come on it. Most of us arent able to memorize components of all bikes. Or try the Redline forum.

Apr 2007
    They're WTB LaserDisc with RL hubs. (2 seconds on Google reveals this).

I'm running a set on my bike until I figure out which light wheelset to go with. No complaints from me. Not the stiffest by any means, but gets the job done. I have it set up gorilla tape tubeless as well. I'm keeping it around as a second/back up set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde
    How about a link or at least mention what wheels come on it. Most of us arent able to memorize components of all bikes. Or try the Redline forum.
    Since the wheels are OEM, I assumed anyone with experience with the set would know what they were.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    They're WTB LaserDisc with RL hubs. (2 seconds on Google reveals this).

I'm running a set on my bike until I figure out which light wheelset to go with. No complaints from me. Not the stiffest by any means, but gets the job done. I have it set up gorilla tape tubeless as well. I'm keeping it around as a second/back up set.
    I assumed the wheels would have more flex than my 36h Flow wheelset, but is this something you notice on the trail? Any idea on the weight of the set? How is the gorilla tubeless conversion working out?

Thanks.

Apr 2007
    I'm assuming they're more flexy than your Flow's. If I had them relaced, I think they'll feel a lot better, but it's not so terrible right now that I'm worried about it. However, I am at 160-170lbs, so you might notice it more.

Gorilla tubeless is working great. I set it up and made the noose mistake of just letting it sit. So by the 5th day, it was flat. However, now with a few rides, almost all of the leaks are sealed and even with them sitting for a week, no flats.

No idea on the weight. Not light, but not that heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am 260 lbs plus and afrer the first ride on mine the front wheel is out of true. Not horrible, but not true. I am saving up to build a new wheelset.

Life is Go0d!
    I have had several sets of these wheels on various bikes.. the key is getting them tensioned properly.. before you ride them.. and after the first couple rides.. after that, they have been very durable. Weight wise, they are middle of the road. I've had the 07, 08, 09, and 10 models. They have worked well for me. Take care of them, and they take care of you. If you don't feel comfortable truing them yourself, (I do my own) have the LBS do it.

I've had them on rigid SS, and HT bikes. I am a clyde as well.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with mo0se. The wheels need to be tensioned. I own a Monocog Flight and I love the bike. I weigh a little more than you and I feel that the bike frame is very durable.
    I bought a truing stand because I got got tired of whacking every single wheel I've owned out of true.
    I've trued them 3 times now since I got the bike new in April- I feel I finally got them adjusted properly. They have been staying true for the last several rides. The width is fine for running Ardent 2.4 (I really like this tire, but it barely clears in the rear on the Flight.)
    I'm not saying they are great rims, but they are fine. I would like a set of bombproof Sun Ringle MTX-33's, but don't have the funding. I'll get by just fine on these because I'll just keep checking them for true.
    I don't know about the hubs, so far so good. I think the Flight is a good deal, and after getting the cockpit dialed in, I have a lot of fun on it (top tube is kindof short.) It surprised how well it handles descents.
    No, I'm not a Redline rep, I just like the bike. I almost got a Kona Unit 2-9 instead, which I'm sure is a great bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0