Life Is Short

Putting 27.5 wheels on a 29er

Hello. I have a 27.5 front wheel with an American classic hub thru axle 20mm and WTB rim that NOBODY WOULD EVER BUY if i put it for sale on ebay.

So i was thinking of putting it on my Lenz PBJ 29er with thru axles on both ends, which means I would have to build a rear wheel with a 150x12 hub since I dont have one of those laying around. So before i order a rim, spokes and hub...

Does anyone have a bike and switch out wheels? It may be financially sound instead of having both a 27.5 and 29er. I read on Lenz' website that they are OK with doing that but would like asking you guys first. Thanks.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Hello. I have a 27.5 front wheel with an American classic hub thru axle 20mm and WTB rim that NOBODY WOULD EVER BUY if i put it for sale on ebay.

So i was thinking of putting it on my Lenz PBJ 29er with thru axles on both ends, which means I would have to build a rear wheel with a 150x12 hub since I dont have one of those laying around. So before i order a rim, spokes and hub...

Does anyone have a bike and switch out wheels? It may be financially sound instead of having both a 27.5 and 29er. I read on Lenz' website that they are OK with doing that but would like asking you guys first. Thanks.
    usually when going from 29er they go to a 27.5+ like a 2.8" tire. the 27.5 will give a super low BB
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Most bikes id say you're going to have a really low BB. But the PBJ has a 14" BB height. So you're probably going to be ok with a 13.25 (337mm)

since 4/10/2009
    I read on Lenz' website that they are OK with doing that but would like asking you guys first. Thanks.
    With this particular swap, it doesn't really matter what the manufacturer says. Never heard of installing smallier dia wheels resulting in a voided warranty. The question is whether YOU will be okay with dropping the bb on the bike, related to how it will change handling and clearance.

Life Is Short
    Thanks for the input. The bb height is pretty high so I think it will be worth spending around $200 for an inexpensive hub, rim and spokes. I run a Sun Race 11-40 10 sp cass. with a single XT crankset so before digging into the coffers for a new cassette, I will swap that out for the rides. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Putting 27.5 wheels on a 29er-img_20160901_003406.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I 'm not seeing the value in having to spend money building a rear wheel so you can use a front you'd never buy or build today. Use the hub if you want and get spokes and a new 29 rim. I'd be looking at a wide rim to use wider front tires..

Life Is Short
    The front wheel is a MTX33, so I can put a 2.4 or 2.5 on it. Having 2 front wheels is like being back in the same boat, one wheel not doing much. And the hub isnt much I found one on ebay for $39 and a rim for $50. Thanks for your opinion.

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks for your opinion.
    It's the same thing he tells everyone - I wouldn't thank him for it.

mtbr member
    Fatcat, as others have said, it's done, but most go for at least a B+ 2.8" setup to minimize the BB getting too low, but with that high BB, you could prob run a 2.6" and still be good - 2.8" B+ is about 3/4" shorter than a 29x2.3", so 3/8" at the axle. It will basically give you 2 bikes in one if you go with a PLUS setup, as it will gain a more monster truck feel, I do it with my Prime and it is most certainly something you can feel. I say go for it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Life Is Short
    :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
    Last edited by fatcat; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:50 PM.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Fatcat, as others have said, it's done, but most go for at least a B+ 2.8" setup to minimize the BB getting too low, but with that high BB, you could prob run a 2.6" and still be good - 2.8" B+ is about 3/4" shorter than a 29x2.3", so 3/8" at the axle. It will basically give you 2 bikes in one if you go with a PLUS setup, as it will gain a more monster truck feel, I do it with my Prime and it is most certainly something you can feel. I say go for it.
    I'm not doing sh*t, I got laid off on Friday. I gotta find stuff to ebay now. I still have a few dollars to build a rear wheel myself though, it was good working at a bike shop for a couple years in the 2000's, it helped. Some old fart was claiming on TV that the economy was booming, fu**kn liar!

mtbr member
    Ah man, sorry to hear, that blows. Feel your pain, economy down here's is in the tank as well from the criminals we had running the place for the last 10 years, hoping that you guys have better luck getting rid of your clowns. I'm in the learning to really appreciate all the great bikes I already have, appreciate that while to me they're just an every day bike, to lots they are uber trick, sweet ones most would love to be able to afford. But my priority is bikes, I have nothing else that's nice, I don't party, but people who look at my nice bikes and say they cost a lot have nice TVs, stereos, jewelry, party, eat out, new clothes etc, etc.

I'm not doing sh*t, I got laid off on Friday. I gotta find stuff to ebay now. I still have a few dollars to build a rear wheel myself though, it was good working at a bike shop for a couple years in the 2000's, it helped. Some old fart was claiming on TV that the economy was booming, fu**kn liar!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Ah man, sorry to hear, that blows. Feel your pain, economy down here's is in the tank as well from the criminals we had running the place for the last 10 years, hoping that you guys have better luck getting rid of your clowns. I'm in the learning to really appreciate all the great bikes I already have, appreciate that while to me they're just an every day bike, to lots they are uber trick, sweet ones most would love to be able to afford. But my priority is bikes, I have nothing else that's nice, I don't party, but people who look at my nice bikes and say they cost a lot have nice TVs, stereos, jewelry, party, eat out, new clothes etc, etc.
    Thanks. I'm in a different boat though. I just took apart one of my bikes and selling the parts & frame....ugh...XTR on eBay, such a bummer. My other 2 bikes---XTR and XT equipped. I have to get desperate to part out the XT bike, if I'm going to have ONE BIKE, its going to be XTR equipped.

Cheers to 2019, hopefully I will do better and also you. I don't blame anyone because things happen, I just hate politicians claiming things are better now---let them work at McDonalds for $12 an hour