put her on a diet and she gained weight???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

put her on a diet and she gained weight???

My Jabber that is...
    I had Mavic TN719 with XT hubs and Racing Ralphs with tube on the front of the Jabber.
    Weight was 23lbs even...

Swapped it for a Stans Arch with Hope Pro hub and Nobby Nic tubeless

New weight - 23lbs 12 oz....

Is the RR with a tube really almost a full pound lighter than the Nobby Nic?

Not that it matters since I'm still up around 190 myself, but was kinda hoping she'd lose some weight in the deal...

Your Best Friend
    RR's are pretty light compared to the NN's and it could also come down to how much sealant you put in each wheel. Some riders get a bit over zealous with the Stans. 3 scoops or more and you're pretty much a wash with the tubes concerning weight.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    a little less than 2 full scoops....I didn't weigh the wheels prior to putting the tires on...probably should have....
    Not a big deal either way...just sort of surprising.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Well at least you will now have a badass tubeless setup. Consider it worth the weight.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yeah you probably gained a little with the NNs and 2 scoops of Stans. A scoop of Stans weighs about 60g, add in rimtape at about 35-40g, and your easily looking at the weight of an average tube. Depending on which RR you were running and which NN you went with you could have easily added another 140g per wheel with the tire change. That's a total of 480g. As a rough guess I'd say you probably shaved about 300g off with the new wheels. So you're about +180g in the red. Add in a fudge factor of about 20% for variation in weight between advertised and actual, and it comes out pretty close to 12 ounces.

Sounds like you were on the way to lightening the Jabber up by about a half pound until you added the NNs.

As a side note, I've found that going tubeless is usually a wash with a tubed set up as far as weight goes. It's possible to save weight in some cases, but it's usually only around 40g. Depending on the tubeless method it's usually a wash, or even a little heavier with some of the "ghetto" set ups.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Did you deconstruct everything and weight it?

Any time someone says "I want to put my bike on a diet", I say "what do all the components weight right now?"

If you don't have a baseline beforehand, they it is a guessing game.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Advertised weights on tires (especially) are unreliable at best. I would say you gained a little with the Arches over the Mavics, lost a little with the Hopes(maybe), not sure on your spokes and the tire #'s are unreliable. Look at it this way, you got a great wheelset that may not be to much lighter but a lot blingier(if thats a word) and should be the last wheelset you buy for a while! My Jabber weighs right at 24lbs with Surley SS Hubs and 355's with WTB's & tubes....I don't think I would want it much lighter! I've already been tossed into a creekbed while hitting a 8"-10" rocks that the heavier Canzo just rolls over!

mtbr member
    yeah, the wheelset is definitely "blingier" it's officially a word now that it's been used twice

Love this bike and the weight is just fine as it sits....any lighter and I'd be worried about it holding my fat a$$ up...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hope hubs are relatively heavy actually.

mtbr member

take quality of ride over weight

Example- Thompson products- not the lightest out there but over time the best bang for your buck- stiff, durable and well proven!!!

mtbr member
    Just did a 'ghetto' on my 29er. Lost 80g per wheel. Verified with a digital freon scale. Rear assembly 2600g before, 2520g after. Didn't do it for the weight, but was happy to see it didn't gain any. Too many cactus/mesquite thorns to run tubes here.