Purchased my first 29er.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Purchased my first 29er.

I'm excited, pulled the trigger on my first 29er a couple of days ago. Got a deal that I just could not pass up- Brand new 2009 Kona Hei Hei 2-9er. MSRP was $2,599.99, I picked it up for $1,499.00. I was going to get a 2011 Specialized Epic 29er, but this deal was just too good and I saved lots of money, and still got a good bike. I currently have a 26" Kona Hei Hei Supreme and have really liked the bike.
    Should have my 29er sometime this week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchased my first 29er.-kona%2520hei-hei%252029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice....welcome to the darkside.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

Virtus pre nummis
    Well you got a two year old bike for a thousand off an overpriced bike to start with so you got a good deal considering ...!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo
    Nice....welcome to the darkside.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    hey roadrunner, you in Louisville?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yes but it has a $700 fork and a $300 shock and Maxxis tires, etc. so the parts are worth more than he paid. I would say he got off to a decent start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minh
    hey roadrunner, you in Louisville?
    San Antonio.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Hey minh, I am in Newburgh, IN which is about 105 miles. Maybe we can meet in French Lick some time. I heard that it is really nice but have yet to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1
    San Antonio.
    that's weird, where did you get your bike? that pic looks exactly like a bike shop in louisville.

http://onyourleftcycles.net/

oh wait- just realized you might have just done a google search for 2009 hei hei and that pic came up...

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    Hey minh, I am in Newburgh, IN which is about 105 miles. Maybe we can meet in French Lick some time. I heard that it is really nice but have yet to ride it.
    a friend of mine talked about riding in french lick a while back and i meant to look into it. if i'm ever that way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minh
    that's weird, where did you get your bike? that pic looks exactly like a bike shop in louisville.

http://onyourleftcycles.net/

oh wait- just realized you might have just done a google search for 2009 hei hei and that pic came up...
    Yes, I got that pic off the net, my bike is in transit from Cali.

Trail Ninja
    I'm noticing a trend with people being happy about paying nearly 1/2 MRSP *cough* Bikesdirect *cough*. I'm not criticizing, I'm just pointing out the "coincidence". I'd love to get a deal like that too and be just as happy.

brokenbikegirl
    Aug 2010
    My friend let me ride her Kona Hei Hei for 3 weeks and it convinced me to buy a fully 29er. I felt like it ironed out all the big rocks, and totally ruled the pack on the down hills. I'm used to a Ti hard tail. I was a skeptic, now I can't wait for my new bike to come in! What a great deal!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Welcome and congrats!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I like it! Looks good!
    Diamondback: Overdrive
    Scott: Spark 29

mtbr member
    She arrived home today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchased my first 29er.-dscn0149.jpg  

brokenbikegirl
    Aug 2010

... and if we just ... Jealous

I ordered the 2011 Specialized Epic Comp but I have to wait until late September at the earliest. Until then I'm on loaners because I broke my lightspeed in two. The Kona, she's a beauty. Same one I rode for 3 weeks and honestly I could not believe how fast I was, or the sht I could do. I'm happy for you.

mtbr member
    Took my new 29er out for it's first ride today, 2hrs in the saddle. I took it easy since this was my first time riding a 29er MTB and I wanted to see how the bike handled and it's mannerisms. The Hei Hei 29er met all of my expectations and lived up to all of the positive reviews that I have read before making my purchase. As far as performance goes, there is nothing about the bike that I do not like. If there is a negative, other than the wheels, it would be the weight of the bike out of the box, a wopping 29.8lbs (Large frame). But I have to say that when I was riding the bike today, I could not really noticed the weight difference because this rig carried so much momentum that it was insane. I am going get the bike down to 27lbs and leave it at that, as I will be more than happy with that weight. The changes I am going to make are the wheels, seat, stem, and bars.

For what I paid for this 29er, I am more than happy with my purchase

I want to ride
    Looks like an awesome bike. Not to mention an awesome price. Have fun, give a review!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the same hei hei 2-9 and love it. mine is the 19" and is at 26-27 lbs just by switching the crank to an xt, i put on stroker gram brakes, ritchey comp flat bar, and crossmark rear tire. My fiance bought me a wheel set that I'm going to build up. Some arch rims and 240's with competition spokes. I can't wait to see what she weighs when its set up tubeless. I also had my best finishes racing on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imiller
    I have the same hei hei 2-9 and love it. mine is the 19" and is at 26-27 lbs just by switching the crank to an xt, i put on stroker gram brakes, ritchey comp flat bar, and crossmark rear tire. My fiance bought me a wheel set that I'm going to build up. Some arch rims and 240's with competition spokes. I can't wait to see what she weighs when its set up tubeless. I also had my best finishes racing on it.
    19" is the same size frame I have. Me and a friend were testing it on the scale the other day and tried different parts and got it down to under 27lbs by just by switching the wheels/tires and seat/seat post.
    I have a set of American Classic MTB29 wheels UST in alpha white coming my way, will put those on next week. I am also putting on a carbon FSA flat bar with a FSA stem with carbon face, as well as my Thompson seat post on with Selle Italia seat on. That will be it for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I work in a bike shop and would have gotten the crest or 355 if they had them in stock but our distributor only has the arch in stock. We have some pretty intense cross country trails and I plan on doing long endurance races so I don't mind the 70 extra grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imiller
    I work in a bike shop and would have gotten the crest or 355 if they had them in stock but our distributor only has the arch in stock. We have some pretty intense cross country trails and I plan on doing long endurance races so I don't mind the 70 extra grams.
    Very true. I plan to use this rig for some endurance races as well. Took it out to this place called Government Canyon this morning, Very intense trails with lots of rocky climbs and and decents. Put in 2.5HRs and the bike was taking everything I could give it. I was very impressed.

mtbr member
    forget that great new bike, what about that redline with the red mags in the background. That is a gem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    forget that great new bike, what about that redline with the red mags in the background. That is a gem
    You mean this REDLINE?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchased my first 29er.-dsc_0333z.jpg  

Purchased my first 29er.-dsc_0335z.jpg  

Purchased my first 29er.-dsc_0338z.jpg  

mtbr member
    yes, that redline. what year is that? i can remember something like that back in the early 80's. thank you for sharing closer photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    yes, that redline. what year is that? i can remember something like that back in the early 80's. thank you for sharing closer photos.
    It is a 1983 600a. Funny story about the bike, I found it sitting next to a dumpster a few years ago. It had GT decals on it and was on it's way to the landfill. I didn't know what it was at the time, but took it anyway and later found out the bottom bracket was stamped with it's true identity. So I restored it with all of the cool parts like the Skyway Tuff II mags, REDLINE flight cranks, REDLINE forklifter bars and stem, and a new decal set.

JB1
    mtbr member
    WOW- I had a chrome redline back in the 80"s! It might have been that same model but I cant remember. It didnt have those cranks, but I rember having "mushroom" grips and a fluted laid back seat post.

hispanic mechanic
    Glad to see another 29" here in Fat Antonio!
    Enjoy, hope it's a great bike for you!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Members who have read this thread: 0