Prototype Spider29 ride update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Prototype Spider29 ride update

Prototype Spider29 ride update:
    Combining 29" wheels and cross-country FS race bike geometry is a pretty special ride. The more hours I spend on this bike the more fun it is. The extended contact patch and the rolling difference between a 26 wheel, not only makes the ride smoother and feel like longer travel on the small bumps but the handling is sure footed and precise. The increased front-end control over a 26 makes the bike a very sharp handler. This bike turns corners like a mountain cross, dual slalom bike, knifing thru corners with ease, no front end vagueness, no front slide.

It seems that a racy feel go’s against the grain with what allot of current 29’r riders want BUT the combo of big wheels and a sports car like handling cross country race bike is waaaaaaay to much fun to ignore. So far I have not found anything to upset the ride, it has felt at ease in all climbing, cornering and descending situations I can throw at it. Will have a new proto frame with a bit different geometry next week for further testing! More to come.
    n10'sGuy
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    thanks for the update... the ride sounds great, can't wait to see what the final version settles out to be.

Do you know what geo numbers are changing for your next comparison prototype?

what a joke
    Thanks for keeping us posted. Do you have any idea on sizes? XL-XXL?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Drool

Reading everything you post and I'm already bugging my LBS. Noticed the incredible amount of views your 29er posts get, do you guys use that as an indicater of intrest? I'm also curious as to what you do with prototypes? Do you display them, modify for the next change, or trash? Please keep us posted!

mtbr member

Geez

You must hate your job

A fact that I have known since 1999 is that 29" & FS =

Race oriented or trail or all mountain, it seems to all be good.

Thanks for finally taking notice and good luck!

BP
    CB
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Harmonius Wrench

Thanks!

Just want to post my thanks to you guys at Intense for making this effort. Also for posting ride test updates and submitting yourself to the quirky 29 inch crowd! Keep up the great work!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

Good job! Intense

Quote Originally Posted by n10'sGuy
    Combining 29" wheels and cross-country FS race bike geometry is a pretty special ride. The more hours I spend on this bike the more fun it is. The extended contact patch and the rolling difference between a 26 wheel, not only makes the ride smoother and feel like longer travel on the small bumps but the handling is sure footed and precise. The increased front-end control over a 26 makes the bike a very sharp handler. This bike turns corners like a mountain cross, dual slalom bike, knifing thru corners with ease, no front end vagueness, no front slide.

It seems that a racy feel go’s against the grain with what allot of current 29’r riders want BUT the combo of big wheels and a sports car like handling cross country race bike is waaaaaaay to much fun to ignore. So far I have not found anything to upset the ride, it has felt at ease in all climbing, cornering and descending situations I can throw at it. Will have a new proto frame with a bit different geometry next week for further testing! More to come.
    n10'sGuy

Will have a new proto frame with a bit different geometry next week for further testing! More to come.

This says it all. Great job and keep us posted

Recovering couch patato
    Don't be shy to ask for any deeper input, some of the guys on here have been riding and designed 29" frames for up to 6 years!

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Thanks and more Thanks!!

Looking forward to further reports and news on when they will be available.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Bored
    Are you able to share some info on the next prototype? Is the head tube more slack?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Downtube/crown clearance.....

Thanks for the update. My only regret going 29er is giving up the sweet Vpp on my Blur. I think a 4" fs, 29er, VPP bike is a magic combo.

A Spider 29er would make a great match for a Maverick SC fork (I get about 90mm on mine), however I believe it has the chunkiest crown of the 29er forks available. I already have issues with it on my Monkey, but I live with it. How is the downtube/crown clearance with the Reba? If this bike makes production, I'm sure I would not be the only one considering a Mav SC. It would be a bummer if the crown smacks the downtube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here's another request for a non-midget sized frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Keep up the good work! I really like the bike.

gray hair in my shammy

Yes!

"If you build it, they will come"
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by n10'sGuy
    Combining 29" wheels and cross-country FS race bike geometry is a pretty special ride. The more hours I spend on this bike the more fun it is.
    Just got back from todays ride on my Spider XVP and thought that it would be great if Intense built one as a 29er. Damn great timing with your post. As soon as you sell it, I'll buy one for sure....making it the 3rd XVP in our household!

"the" fashion advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Just got back from todays ride on my Spider XVP and thought that it would be great if Intense built one as a 29er. Damn great timing with your post. As soon as you sell it, I'll buy one for sure....making it the 3rd XVP in our household!
    Did Jeni tell you I mentioned this to her when she called Friday regarding the frame? You need one for sure.

"3rd XVP in our household"......does that mean you pulled the trigger on the one she looked at last week?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic
    Did Jeni tell you I mentioned this to her when she called Friday regarding the frame? You need one for sure.

"3rd XVP in our household"......does that mean you pulled the trigger on the one she looked at last week?
    Yeah, she bit the bullet and went for the XVP. She just got the SS dropouts for the Kind and I'll move most everything over to the new XVP, and parts bin the rest for her new SS.

But no she did not mention this to me....we talk quite frequently, but rarely ever communicate. ;-)

mtbr member
    Oh man! I want one sooooooooo bad! The best suspension design ever combined with a sick paint job and big wheels. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
    I have a pair of Deore Hubbed/T517 rimmed 29" wheels for $100 shipped. PM me if you want them.

Members who have read this thread: 0