Protection... Bike Protection that is..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Protection... Bike Protection that is..

So, I finally bought a new bike. This is my first NEW bike since I was in my early teens.. So it was a big deal to throw down almost $1k. I have only ridden it a couple of times, and only hit some dirt once. My question is, what can I do now to protect the paint/frame/bike in general? I already put some electrical tape where the brake/shifter cables rub on the frame (it even color matches) but is there anything else I can/or should do?

Thanks!

Your Best Friend
    Search for "helicopter tape". They sell it on amazon.com and it is genius. Goes on easy, you can layer if you want it thicker and it stays put through mud and high pressure rinses.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Single Speed Junkie
    Well Conti was handing out some Black Chili compound protection at a race recently. Don't think that would help the paint on the bike.

3M also has a Rino guard that is a clear bra application for autos. It blends in nearly disappearing over the frame. Of course you can still feel where the edge is if you ant to peal it up, but why. Been running in since 2004 on one frame in a high rub area and it still looks new.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by go1d1e
    \ So it was a big deal to throw down almost $1k.

Thanks!
    Getting your money's worth out of a bike isn't measured by how shiny and unscratched you can keep it, but rather, how much you ride the living sht out of it!

Ride her hard and put her up wet (but, of course, lube her up in the morning). If you didn't get a scratch or a dent on a ride, you weren't trying hard enough

But, if you must, I get this 3M clear film from a local window tint place to put on bikes for my customers. It is nice and thick and does a really nice job of protecting the bike.

White Knuckle Rider
    framewrap.com
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just purchased some 3M Venture Shield from a Guy on Ebay. I have only coverered RockShox Sektor with it so far, but the product is sweet. You can't even tell it is on. I plan to do the rest of my '11 Pitch Pro as well. The only problem i see in buying helicopter tape is you are limited by the width's it comes in. If you buy the Venture Shield it comes in much wider lengths. I bought a 12 x 36 sheet and it is plenty to do my whole bike. It will leave it looking glossy, so that is something to consider if your bike has a matte finish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by go1d1e
    So, I finally bought a new bike. This is my first NEW bike since I was in my early teens.. So it was a big deal to throw down almost $1k. I have only ridden it a couple of times, and only hit some dirt once. My question is, what can I do now to protect the paint/frame/bike in general? I already put some electrical tape where the brake/shifter cables rub on the frame (it even color matches) but is there anything else I can/or should do?
    Thanks!
    Protect the drive-side chainstay. Don't lean the frame of the bike up against anything metal or concrete or stone (lean against pedal and/or end of bars). Put something where the bars spin around and hit the frame, if they hit the frame. When you get the inevitable crash scratches, don't worry about them. I think bike frames get scratched up more in transit, falling over in garages, improperly leaned etc. than they do on the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wrapped the downtube, fork, chainstay, and seatstays with leftover Ventureshield. It doesn't take long and doesn't really add much weight to the bike.

ADIDAB
    Frameskin might be what you're after...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Has a cycling disorder
    Frameskin offers custom-shaped protection for a range of frames (but not all). Other films will offer good protection, but unless you are deft with a scalpel knife, you will find pre-cut shapes easier to install and will result in a better finish. Framewrap is also recommended for the chainstay.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Members who have read this thread: 2