mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Pro-mance M7007 II Build (9000 g/19.84 lb)

I built a Pro-mance M7007II 29, 100mm xc full suspendsion bike. I would like to thank the MTBR member sissypants for motivating me by his build and posts. Used xx1 cranks, M9100 series drive train, fox suspension, Light bicycle rims, DT240s, and other misc unbranded parts. The bike with pedals and water bottle cage came in at 9000g (19.84). Build details including parts/weights, links to vendors, frame analysis, some costs, and weight reduction information are detailed here: https://dcriffraff.wordpress.com/

The Pro-mance M7007 II frame has similar geometry to a 2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup bike. It*can be ordered in a standard or light weight version. The M7007-II (boost) frame ordered was size 17.5", light weight (T700/T800),* UD(unidirectional as opposed to weave), matte finish, and 165/38 shock (can choose this or 190/45). This frame supports up to 2.3 tires and built for the BB92 bottom bracket.

I was told that this frame is being OEM'ed in Europe (found online at least two OEM's with the exact look and geometry) and raced at the World Cup level. I am not saying that this is a Pro-mance frame, but take a look at Megamo and the U23 World Cup rider Jofre Cullell bikes.

The frame was purchased directly from Pro-mance (btw, I am not a fan of the company's name, think Bro).* They were very responsive to questions and the way they conduct business was exemplary.* The frame was not in stock and made upon order. I got a email that the frame was completed 15 days after ordering. It was delivered to my door 14 days after that. Total time from order to receipt was 29 days. * Link to vendor: Hot ! XC suspension frame (M7007-II, 36T) Definitely two thumbs up to Steven Lan at Pro-mance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro-mance M7007 II Build (9000 g/19.84 lb)-final-weight.jpg  

Pro-mance M7007 II Build (9000 g/19.84 lb)-026.jpg  

Last edited by dcriffraff; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Very nice build! Thanks for the build description as well. Waiting for my frame...

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Do you have a link to the titanium shock mount?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The ti shock mounts were made from a ti recessed brake nut and ti button head. You just cut the brake nut so you have a M8 od threaded rod (id thread M6). The button head is 12M max diameter and 15mm length for the top mount. You can purchase part from Toronto cycles. The recessed brake nut on the vbrake page Paul Brakes, Titanium Dura Ace, CNC Bike Brakes, Brake Post Studs . You need the rod to be 30mm long. The 40mm one they have in stock will work. They have a ti nut/bolt page for the button heads. Just a warning, I ordered the 12mm button head but was sent 16mm. I wrapped the threads with masking tape, but in a drill and used a grinder to reduce the head diameter. Used this also after cutting the brake nut with a hack saw so the ends are finished and exactly the length I wanted. You want to also make sure the length is 15mm to insure the threaded part covers the shear load from the shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks! Very good info. In will see if I can pick something up in Europe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jealous, I'm at 45 days and my frame still hasn't shipped. Steven says, next week...
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Great looking build!

Based on your experience with this frameset thus far, do you think that the rear brake mount is better off on the chainstay, or on the seatstay?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have only rode the bike a few times. After the third ride, I had to re-adjust the rear brake caliper so the brake pads did not drag. Not sure if I didn't tighten the caliper mounting bolts enough or if it was caused by the flex in the top stay. Will have a better answer for this after more time on the bike.

I don't feel any difference in the braking characteristics between having the rear brake mount on the chainstay (my other bike mounts this way) verses the seatstay. From the design perspective, I would rather have the brake mount on the chainstay. This would insure that the seat stay flex is equal on both sides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine finally shipped. Took almost 60 days.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I got a chance to take the M7007 out for a few rides on varied terrain that included climbing and descending a 2412' fire road, high and low speed single track, and mild to very steep climbs. This is my early ride report.

I want to give some background on me as a rider. I used to road race motorcycles (and still ride motocross). There is so much chatter about riding techniques and bike setup that it makes you dizzy. I definitely weigh an opinion higher if the rider finished in front of me. With that said, I am not a bicycle racer.* I ride often and consider myself a very good descender. I am a motivated rider but suffer with a high heart rate and low power...

The bike is efficient with no sign of pedal bob. Handles and climbs well. On the trails I rode, I did not have any problems with the low 12.6"* bottom bracket height (same as Spark). I usually ride a 22lb FS 26" (geometry similar to a 2012 Scott Spark) bike and was apprehensive about the agility of this bike due to it's larger wheel size. I did have to compensate a little to get the bike to turn by putting a* little more weight on the front and using more handlebar pressure (than on the 26). I am surprised that the maneuverability difference between the bikes is so small. This has probably been said a billion times, but the 29 wheels roll better and keep momentum better. It seems that you don't lose as much speed (and need less effort) on the upward slope of undulating terrain than on the 26. It is a fast bike.

The bike has a SRAM XX1 Eagle crank/chainring, Shimano M9100 chain, M9100 SGS (long cage) derailleur, M9100 cassette (10-51) and M9100 shifter. This combination works great and shifts flawlessly.* You can up shift up to three gears at a time. Down shifting is one gear at a time. I used a 30T front 10/51T cassette. The low gear 30/51 combination on the 29 is roughly the same as 22/34 on the 26. The M9100 chain uses a master link that requires a master link tool for installation and removal. Gone are the days of tool-less master links.

I like to set my bike up firm/light rebound so the suspension does not sack down on high speed bumps.* The shock is Fox Factory Float set up with 6mm of sag and run in the mid compression setting. The fork is Fox 32 Factory Step Cast set up with 9mm of sag and 10 clicks rebound. The fork settings are still a work in progress.* The medium compression lever setting is very stiff for small to medium bumps, but good for drop offs. Open mode with almost no compression 18 clicks (22 none, 0 stiffest) is good for small/medium bumps* but compresses too much for drop offs. I say this with great conviction after going over a drop off , compressing the fork too much, and endoing it. Next time I am going to try Open mode with higher compression settings.

I really like this bike for cross country riding. It is light, efficient, and turns well.* There is nothing negative that stands out to me. After all, this frame is OEM'ed by a few companies that have hopefully done more testing than myself. Also the frame was raced at and made the podium at the U23 World Cup level.* Now that is something* I would pay attention to.
    Last edited by dcriffraff; 1 Week Ago at 02:20 PM.