Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Yeah, one is for cruising and the other for attack mode. I can ride leisurely on the Stout, but the Double makes you feel like a kid again and everything is a jump or obstacle!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've been abusing my Stout about every chance I get myself. I don't ride it very leisurely that's for sure! lol

One day when I get a bit older I'm going to want a full squish bike but I'm not THAT old yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: Post your SE Stout 29er pics!

Quote Originally Posted by TFTRL View Post
    Sleek looking Stout! Is that a high end fork? How much does your bike weigh if you know? What frame size?
    It is a 17 inch and weighs 23.8 with pedals. I have made some changes since last year. I sold the suspension fork and bought a used niner carbon fork from the classified section. The carbon fork compliments the frame well. It feels light and springy. Its a lot of fun to ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

my se stout

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-9660946446_280703bcc4_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dhalsey View Post
    It is a 17 inch and weighs 23.8 with pedals. I have made some changes since last year. I sold the suspension fork and bought a used niner carbon fork from the classified section. The carbon fork compliments the frame well. It feels light and springy. Its a lot of fun to ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Wow! You lost a lot of weight. I would assume stock it weighed @30lbs. And you just changed the fork? Or wheels as well? Mine is stock weight at 28lbs. I want to stay rigid and single speed and I love the geometry/steering feel. If I could get down to the low 20lb area and retain the feeling I have now...oh yeah I'd be saving up for those upgrades! What advice can anyone give me?

Quote Originally Posted by aim av View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9660946446_280703bcc4_b.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	830232
    Hey that bike looks so familiar.

Ah, it's like mine! lol I also seen you posted it on flickr. Sweet.

Some new pics I took Friday of my baby right before my crossing the stream. (Man, I like this bike!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    A few more shots from yesterday's ride. Got my first flat tire (front). I was pounding the bike pretty hard over stuff and luckly the tire went flat soon as I got back to my car. But yesterday was the most fun I've had with it yet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Post your SE Stout 29er pics!

My first ride on my stout. Bought it as a frame second hand, was going to run it ss, but set up 1x10 for the moment with a qr rear. The other night when I was building and testing my chain tug fell off. The derailleur hanger part is still there, just the bit with the bolt that pushes against the rear of the frame is missing.

Noob question - will I miss this part running gears, or is it only essential for ss? Can I run any brand of tug in there and are any brands better than the original, surly etc ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-uploadfromtaptalk1378944763392.jpg  

B.Ike
    ^^this is what you're looking for:Problem Solvers Chain Tensioner W/Hanger > Components > Drivetrain > Derailleur Hangers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    ss only and you can run any chain tug. I like redline's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just threw a set of woodchippers on my stout. looking to ride it this winter with a set of nordic spikes on it. ill post some pictures tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Here's my recent attempt at building one up geared - cheap and in my size ($121 shipped from City Grounds). The frame weighs about 5.5lbs for the 2010 in 15" out of the box.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-sestout.jpg

I geared it with the problem solvers hanger. I'm using a 90s Shimano skewer to keep the wheel from moving during braking. One thing I was a little disappointed about is how tight the 2.2 trail kings are for the rear. One complication to gearing is that with a double + the looptail, the bottom gear on the rear combo with the big ring rubs really badly. I fixed it by using a 7 speed cassette and putting a spacer between the bottom ring and the lock ring - it hasn't come loose yet, but I may have to put a spacer with teeth from a single speed kit. For the front derailleur, the tubing is bigger than 28.6, but smaller than 31.8, so for the derailleur, I took a 34.9 with 1 28.6 spacer and 1 31.8 spacer and it looks to work well. I have a 31.8 cable stop on order - hoping it doesn't take too much effort to get that working. I will probably swap a flat bar from another bike to bring the cockpit down.

This is not technically my first 29er, as I've had a small Salsa Dos Niner for the last month - but it's just too darn big. So this will hopefully be my first good experience with a 29er. Total invested is around $900 for everything there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JerBear007 View Post
    [This is not technically my first 29er, as I've had a small Salsa Dos Niner for the last month - but it's just too darn big. So this will hopefully be my first good experience with a 29er. Total invested is around $900 for everything there.
    Hey man, so it's been about a month now. How's the experience with your recipe?

While on subject, I've been consistently riding at least once or twice a week still. VERY happy with my Stout. It's made me a more skilled rider and a stronger rider IMO.

Some pics from a mud run a couple months ago...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some old pics of the Stout, she was a good steed, one day, I may rebuild her.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-320190_10150300550082348_7333673_n.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-313498_10150300550237348_1741228_n.jpg

They're from the Schulykyl River Trail after Huricane Irene, there was a bit of flooding.

I officially hate this thread. Time to start rebuilding the Stout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    I officially hate this thread. Time to start rebuilding the Stout.

Yup, this thread is stout full of inspiration.

mtbr member
    Hey man, so it's been about a month now. How's the experience with your recipe?
    For the cable stop, I thought about shaving it a bit so it clamps tighter, but instead settled on using a single 34.9 to 31.8 derailleur spacer in it and it has held well. I run the L3 shift cable full length to there. I have continued to use the cassette spacer next to the lock nut to keep the lowest gear from causing chain rub on the looptail. It hasn't come loose yet. I've put just shy of 70 miles on it so far. I rarely ride in mud in southern Colorado and New Mexico, so the lack of tire clearance with the 2.2 Trail Kind hasn't been an issue thus far. The 90s Shimano skewer still slipped some and I swapped to a cromo bolt skewer, which has not slipped. I've needed to swap the hub from a cheap $10 Formula so maybe a new hub will dig in better. I got the wheels from someone selling an old Redline Monocog they broke and the front wheel had a newish rim, but the rear was old. I rebuilt the rear rim into the geared Formula hub, have had trouble with the hub staying adjusted, and the rim is pretty well blowed out after being mashed for 7 years. Sooo, my new project for this thing is to build a DT 340 hub with the upgraded 36 step ratchet, an old XTR 8 speed spider with the lowest gear replaced with a spacer. I am currently around 28.5 lbs setup tubeless and I expect the new rear wheel to drop about a pound, but more importantly, give me more confidence in my rear wheel staying put. The problem solvers derailleur hanger has worked great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey all. Finally got back on the trails this past weekend after a miserable winter in NJ. Still love my Stout! It performed great first day out in its sophomore season debut lol

Met a cool dude at trail who asked if I wanted to tag along. He was riding a full suspension Santa Cruz 26er. Not sure of model but it looked tweaked a bit with aftermarket stuff. He lead the way around for awhile and I had no problem keeping up except my lungs need to get in better shape lol

Then he asked me to lead the way for a while and afterwards was super impressed with how fast my 29er was. He said I was pulling away so easy from him. He was winded for sure I was too though! LoL

He asked me if he could take it for ride so we switched bikes. First off, I did not like the full squish after becoming so use to my full ridged Stout. He was having a blast on the Stout! Even doing some BMX tricks in parking lot. Following him on the Santa Cruz was hard, he was right!

Once back at the lot he kept commenting on the Stout and loved it from the looks to the performance. He offered to buy it should I ever need the cash. Lol

Even though I already love the Stout it felt great to know from an experienced rider how cool my bike is. \m/

Question. My hope for summer is to afford lighter wheel set. Would there be any recommendations on any specific set? And any idea on how much weight I'd typically save? Thanks!
    Last edited by TFTRL; 04-22-2014 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member

Hardware for 1x10

(My first ride on my stout. Bought it as a frame second hand, was going to run it ss, but set up 1x10 for the moment with a qr rear. The other night when I was building and testing my chain tug fell off. The derailleur hanger part is still there, just the bit with the bolt that pushes against the rear of the frame is missing.

Noob question - will I miss this part running gears, or is it only essential for ss? Can I run any brand of tug in there and are any brands better than the original, surly etc ?)
    I have the 2010 as well and would like to run 1x10. Is that a long cage derailleur you used? Also, just curious what brand shifter, derailleur and cassette you ended up using. if you don't mind sharing that is...
    Last edited by bikephotog; 04-22-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: forgot quote

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not that I want gears at this time, but I'm curious if a geared set up can ever be as "immediate" when quick pedaling is called upon and if a geared setup can be made as "tight" as SS so there is little to no chain slop/noise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My addition

I went without a bike for almost 3 years until I bought this 2011 XL off Craigslist for $200 in 2012. Awesome deal. It didn't have any dirt on it. The seller rode it around his driveway and street a few times and lost interest. I put some cheap clipless pedals on that I had laying around. Here's the day I received it:
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-se-stout-29er.jpg

Parked at a lake at Paris Mountain (Greenville, SC):
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-12.09.26-paris-mtn-north-lake-1.jpg

I tried it in a local XC race in Columbia, SC which reignited my racing bug. It was a little wet that day...:
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-2013-rttr-lap-2bb.jpg

I have since replaced the brake pads, dropped the boat anchor tires and ride on Maxxis Aspens, put on some stubby bar-ends and ESI Racer's Edge grips. Others have posted about improving the headset, I agree it needs help. But I've drawn the line on upgrades. I would rather just enjoy the Stout as it is now.
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Now that's a cool ass picture buddy! I love getting muddy and THAT'S awesome!

Two questions.

How much weight drop do you think your Wheel change gave and did you notice a big difference when riding?

And what is the issue with the head set exactly? Is it something I might benefit from changing with the 15" frame? I don't race XC.

mtbr member
    I replaced my wheels because the bearings were shot. The difference is amazing. I picked up a FSA Pig headset for cheap and it made the bike feel more "quality".

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks!

My bike was nearly 30 lbs out of the box. I lost about 2 lbs with the tire change - best bang-for-the-buck weight loss for $50 (got them lightly used). Didn't touch the wheels. I've never experienced a more dramatic change in my riding experience; the rolling resistance of the Aspens is night-and-day different.

The issue with the headset is that it self-loosens if you do any offroading.
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks Pebbles and TallChris, That's amazing if your correct about losing nearly two pounds just from tires. And I did weigh mine stock at 28lbs. I'll be looking into changing my rims at least this summer and will see about those tires too. Would you say those tires are good for rooty, rocky terrain or more for smooth trails Chris?

The headset on mine seems great so far and I banged it around pretty good last year. Time will tell and I'm happy it's just a quality thing not a geometry/handling thing cause that would probably make me obsess over debating "gee, can this ride even better?" LOL

Again, Chris...awesome pic thanks for posting it! I got pics of mine with some mud in another post above but yours is covered f'n properly dude!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorry I was wrong. I bought mine with an upgraded Scott stem (headset) maybe why I've had no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @ tftrl - that race was rough on my bike, had to have the bottom bracket serviced and new brake pads afterward. There was another race at the same venue many months later but it poured rain all day the day before so I passed on it.

Next race is May 4. I hope to post some more pics then.
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I can't wait to see pics and most of all...good luck Chris! Keep us posted on your results.

Tony

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi all. This thread was a real motivator for me picking up a stout so cheers all. Will post pics after some mods.

Out of interest, does anyone else's steel frame sound a little dull when flicked with a fingernail? Mine sounds a lot duller and less bell like than my other CrMo frames making me think it's hi ten steel. It's the beigey colour version as per TFTRL's pics above.

From a search, they hadn't made hi ten stouts as far as I can see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wish I could answer your question. I don't know too much about different steel grades but could it simply be that the Stout is more stoutly with the thickness of the steel making it less "ringing"? And which may make it withstand better over time?

Can't wait to see some pics too thanks! What mods if any so far?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Crud View Post
    Hi all. This thread was a real motivator for me picking up a stout so cheers all. Will post pics after some mods.

Out of interest, does anyone else's steel frame sound a little dull when flicked with a fingernail? Mine sounds a lot duller and less bell like than my other CrMo frames making me think it's hi ten steel. It's the beigey colour version as per TFTRL's pics above.

From a search, they hadn't made hi ten stouts as far as I can see.
    It's just thick and heavy CrMo, that's why it rides stiff. Can't bust them, however! They'll barely dent.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No. You can get quick engagement with a good cassette and hub but you will still have to shift and know when to shift to get optimal perfomance.

One fallacy I have found with SS riders is they often run their chain too tight. A half inch up and down play with no load is fine. When it gets too tight, it puts wear on the cogs and bearings. Chains rarely drop if the allignment is good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!

Good advice about the chain. I run all mine lose enough to derail if I need too and I've never dropped one yet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I worked for SE during the years the Stout was made. It was always a decent bike. No great spec but good for the price point and the geometry was spot on. I had a 2008 that I loved but replaced with a different SS. I'm glad to see people out there still enjoying them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Had some great rides so far. I'm digging the rigid. Bloke who owned it previously upgraded the brakes to formula disks and added Truvativ 700mm risers. I've only converted the tyres tubeless myself, kept the nevegal on front for now. Wheels, crank forks, everything is a possibility from here on in.

Frame seems thinnish by sound just not resonant. At first I thought it might be the flat paint or something structural on mine specifically.
    Last edited by Crud; 04-25-2014 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pwh4130 View Post
    I worked for SE during the years the Stout was made. It was always a decent bike. No great spec but good for the price point and the geometry was spot on. I had a 2008 that I loved but replaced with a different SS. I'm glad to see people out there still enjoying them.
    Thanks for posting. When you say the geometry is spot on...as for me it's such a perfect fit. I'd normally fit a 17.5" frame or Medium but my Stout is a 15" with a little longer stem added in the mix and I really feel like one with it.

I assume SE cared enough.

Crud, nice shots thanks!

mtbr member
    Here's mine. I've recently went with a new stem/handlebar that has made the bike handle better. It is a 17" and weighs 30lbs.Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stt.jpg

mtbr member
    Been trying to sell mine for the past 3 months to avail... maybe the 21" frame is turning people off???

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @ BigVaz - That's kinda surprising to me. I looked for what felt like months for a used 21" model. Have it on CL, willing to ship? Those 2 things would expand your market greatly.
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    It's on CL, but I really didn't want to ship.

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    I was looking at one of these, what is the weight of one of those SE stouts? I will be looking for a 19"
    '13 Trek Rumblefish AL

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shpendel View Post
    I was looking at one of these, what is the weight of one of those SE stouts? I will be looking for a 19"
    Stock you'll most likely be right around 30lbs. Depends on the year too. I have a 2011 which was made to lose a little weight from previous model Stouts and mine weights almost exactly 28lbs. Mine has an after market Scott stem too.

If someone has a 15" I might know a buyer BTW.

mtbr member
    When SE moved from Al to steel, Nashbar picked the leftover frames and sold them de-badged as house brand SS bikes. Picked this up about 2 years ago, at this point only the seat clamp and wheels are original. Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20140321-00365.jpgPost your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20140321-00367.jpgPost your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20140321-00370.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    When SE moved from Al to steel, Nashbar picked the leftover frames and sold them de-badged as house brand SS bikes. Picked this up about 2 years ago, at this point only the seat clamp and wheels are original. Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes

Name:	IMG-20140321-00365.jpg 
Views:	1313 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	889374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140321-00367.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	889375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140321-00370.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	889376

Interesting.

Anyone know then when SE started making the Stout with the loop tail? Did it start with the change over to steel frames?

mtbr member
    Interesting.

Anyone know then when SE started making the Stout with the loop tail? Did it start with the change over to steel frames?
    I believe that's the case.
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I still cannot believe that this thread is still going. I started this thread 4 years ago yesterday. I remember when I first started posting in this forum.. some Douche Bag started stuff with me over posting a general parts question in the 29er section... OK so what.. I didn't know any better... not long after that I bought my SE Stout and then posted this Pics thread.

It means a lot to me when someone says this thread inspired them. All I ever wanted was more info about my Stout and to see what other people were doing with theirs!

Fast forward today... I still got my SE Stout and have no plans on getting rid of it. I have gradually changed it little by little. I added and adjustable neck, a Specialized seat, Avid BB7's and a 1x9 conversion with a Deore Shifter trigger. I had a front gear that seemed way too steep and added a 32T yesterday. Although it feels much better I have not had a real chance to ride it because it has been raining nonstop in S.E. WI over the last few days. I think I will finally swap in a different front fork soon. Not sure which one yet but the Salsa, Origin and Niner steel are high on the list right now.

I gotta say that its been really refreshing to see so many guys riding the Stout and changing them like they have. Most of all... I love having a looptail MTN Bike. I get so may compliments on it. I had always rode a loop tail Mongoose Californian BMX as a kid and having a BMX inspired 29er was what I really wanted. I felt really fortunate to get the sweet deal on it when Bikes Direct was closing them out...

Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - SE Racing Stout

I think the Cro Mo frame gives me great confidence in riding it hard. I spend a lot of time on the street but I am curb jumping it all the time. I have also learned to hit the mountain bike trails near me with a good amount of reckless abandon. I really think this bike is a true sleeper. For a while SS bikes were going away and getting a lot of naysayers as a gimmick. I really liked getting the SS to start off with because I was riding on the street a lot and I suited me just fine. The short fall was when I started hitting the trails a lot more and I had no way of adequately climbing hills.. even small ones. So the 1x9 was a solid conversion for me.

I am going to take a picture of my ride tonight and I will come back to post it up tomorrow. Big thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive.

Long live the SE Stout! Gone but not forgotten!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ok, I will play. I did get some inspiration from this thread when I was looking for a bike to build. I bought the SE Stout frame and forks locally off of Craigslist. Stripped and painted. Assembled from parts I like. Its a great SS bike.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-img_0432.jpg

mtbr member
    Just sold mine to a guy for $250.00. Kinda regret the sale, but it is what it is. Time for another SS.

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRiders View Post
    Ok, I will play. I did get some inspiration from this thread when I was looking for a bike to build. I bought the SE Stout frame and forks locally off of Craigslist. Stripped and painted. Assembled from parts I like. Its a great SS bike.

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	900429
    That is a great looking bike right there. I have often thought about doing a SS BMX style conversion of the Stout on a 17 inch frame. I like this bike so much I want to have two of them. I also like the SE Big Ripper but its actually too low for me and I actually think that my 19 inch with the stock forks is too tall at times.. so I imagine if I set the 17 inch up as a BMX style... it would be a really good fit for a street cruiser. This way I can set my 19 in. up for Full Time MTN Biking usage.

BTW...what frame size did you use and what neck/handlebars combo do you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsA29er View Post

BTW...what frame size did you use and what neck/handlebars combo do you have?
    My frame is a 19". I love the loop tail frame. If a 17" was available locally I probably would have made that work. The bars are 3.5" rise Yowelli. The neck is a Porkchop BMX neck. Profile cranks. I use it mostly for cruising around town, to the gym, to the bar. Its a fun bike to jump curbs.

I was a bit nervous about fitting a larger chain wheel on this frame. I was conservative and went with a 39 tooth. I think a 40 or 41 tooth might fit.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRiders View Post
    My frame is a 19". I love the loop tail frame. If a 17" was available locally I probably would have made that work. The bars are 3.5" rise Yowelli. The neck is a Porkchop BMX neck. Profile cranks. I use it mostly for cruising around town, to the gym, to the bar. Its a fun bike to jump curbs.

I was a bit nervous about fitting a larger chain wheel on this frame. I was conservative and went with a 39 tooth. I think a 40 or 41 tooth might fit.
    Thanks for the info!!!

Well.. you do have a SS and I have a 1x9 but I actually had a 42T on up until yesterday. It was just too steep gearing wise but I had still had plenty of clearance for logs or climbing over large stuff.

I was CLOSE to dropping $800+ on a Monocog Flight and then I learned that the Stout was nearly identical in geo so i bought it ASAP. No regrets. Super Solid. I get so many compliments... its a very unique bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    Just sold mine to a guy for $250.00. Kinda regret the sale, but it is what it is. Time for another SS.

You gotta do what you gotta do Vaz... I know one day i will get a different bike too... all things change... right now I am still having a lot of fun with it...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post

Name:	IMG-20140321-00365.jpg 
Views:	1313 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	889374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140321-00367.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	889375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140321-00370.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	889376
    Really nice looking set up dude! I almost bought the Nashbar one too but when I found the deal on the red one at Bikes Direct... it was too good to pass up!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    Here's mine. I've recently went with a new stem/handlebar that has made the bike handle better. It is a 17" and weighs 30lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stt.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	889021
    I always liked the green one... my 09 model is great but the later models are double butted steel... that is a bigger plus but.. I don't think I ride mine hard enough to break it... knock on wood... yet...

what the quan?!
    I still cannot believe that this thread is still going. I started this thread 4 years ago yesterday.
    Man, this thread was the reason I bought one shortly after; never had I seen so much stoke for a SS 29er! The bike did everything I needed it to do... commute / trail ride / gravel grind / dirt jump / pub crawl and the list goes on and on.

And then I made a cross country move about 6 months ago and had to let it go. Total idiot move, I am still regretting it to the fullest. Arrrgh!

Never did I think a $350 bike would be so much fun. Of course, now that I am settled again, the hunt for a new SS 29er/29+ begins.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    Man, this thread was the reason I bought one shortly after; never had I seen so much stoke for a SS 29er! The bike did everything I needed it to do... commute / trail ride / gravel grind / dirt jump / pub crawl and the list goes on and on.

And then I made a cross country move about 6 months ago and had to let it go. Total idiot move, I am still regretting it to the fullest. Arrrgh!

Never did I think a $350 bike would be so much fun. Of course, now that I am settled again, the hunt for a new SS 29er/29+ begins.
    They turn up on Craigslist so... no worries.. they are still out there and the stock ones prices are always right around $300... unless its had some upgrades. I see one on Ebay the guy is asking an arm and a leg for it. Granted it did have a sh-t ton of upgrades but typically they don't cost a lot. That being said... I've been looking for a 17 for a while. i don't think these bikes were produced in massive numbers either.

mtbr member
    Here's how mine currently looks. It's a 1/2 fat with On-One forks and fat wheel, along with front and rear derailleurs. Most of the changes were spare bits I had.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-photo4.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-photo2.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-photo1.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-photo3.jpg

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here is my bike with all the recent updates... Avid BB7's, adjustable neck, Specialized seat and 1x9 gear set. Running Shimano Alvino Shifter and derailleur parts... they were inexpensive but still work pretty good.

I am looking at forks... would like some advice on what fork to run from you guys. Still want a rigid cro mo fork and have been looking at the Salsa or the On One... but also considering the White Brothers and the Niner carbon forks too. They are much more then what I want to spend but the reviews on them have been pretty strong. I would like to bring the front end down and quicken up the steering a bit but I worry that I will miss the angle of the taller original fork.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-imag0914.jpg

mtbr member
    Still loving my Stout. Just replaced the cranks with XT and a gold Race Face chainring without bashgaurd Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20140321-00365.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm still loving my original stout, it's still my favorite all around bike.

mtbr member
    I got the frame / headset for $60, put it together with parts from the shed, Surly Monkey fork and cog, BB7, and it's a lot of fun. Didn't think I'd notice, but the steel really feels different than my aluminum Misfit with carbon fiber fork.

Still need to tweak it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Things have changed since my last post...

Funnily enough the frame now passes the steel ping test after a fresh powder coat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2011 se stout - modifications (2014)

Hey you guyz!!!!! Check out the modifications I just done to my Stout frame!!!! It's totally sick now, I still can't believe it.

The upgrades were as follows (OLD - NEW):

CRANK : Shimano DX (175mm) - Profile (180mm)
    BARS : Azonic world force (762mm) - Seven Cycles Ti.custom (800mm)
    BRAKES : Magura Julie HP - Magura MT2
    SPROCKET : Raceface - Tree 4130 (33t)
    CHAIN : KMC 710 - KMC 910
    TYRES (F): Kenda 2.1" - Duro Leopard 3"
    TYRES (R): Kenda 1.95: - Kenda Nexcavator 2.1"
    SEATPOST : Thomson - Tange Cro-Mo
    SEATCLAMP : Profile - Surly (steel)

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image044.jpg
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image038.jpg
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image039.jpg
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image052.jpg
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image053.jpg
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-image036.jpg

mtbr member
    Needs more TP if you take it camping. Nice mods, are those 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Aerospokes are 26" MTB wheels..... But with the 3" tyre on the front, the wheel measures 28" in diameter....

So I guess it's like a 86er!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What's a TP??????????????

mtbr member
    Yeah, they looked small. How does it ride like that?
    I was referring to the toilet paper on your top-tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lmfao!!!!! It's kitchen-roll used to keep the frame safe during the jig-up.

As for the ride, I was on that bike for about 3 years, at first with 26" front and back, and then I put a 29" wheel on the front and rode it 96er..... Which at first felt weird, like driving some sort of tank, but before long, I was riding the 96er as if it was a BMX.....Which is living proof of how we adapt very easily and very quickly to all sorts of new found situations!!!!!

It was crazy-fun.... a really great ride. I haven't ridden this new version yet, but just by looking at the bike, and reading the spec, bearing in mind what I had on it before, I can presume that I'm going to be in for a real treat.

Being 1" shorter in the front wheel, it's going to be ever so slightly more nimble I guess, but with a fatter tyre, going to be able to soak up the ground more efficiently.

But the biggest difference, undoubtedly, is going to be the Titanium handlebars. I had a short while where I put on some carbon Answer 720mm bars, and that completely transformed the feel of the bike.... but as soon as I put the Azonics on, despite the fact that I had gained the much wanted new-width, I also inherited a nasty harshness that Aluminium-alloy is known for. The carbon felt so much softer and nicer on the hands/shoulders.

So my guess is that the Titanium is going to feel out of this world.

But there's no point in guessing; the best thing I got to do is ride it and find out in real life!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    love the cable routing

getting notices of the updates in this thread always brings a pang of regret for selling my stout...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lol, I couldn't figure out a nice way of strapping-up that brake cable.... so what I've done is carry it forward on the left side, straight out front, then looping to the brake.... it's better than it is in the pics, but it's still quite loopy. Dunno what else I can do with it to be honest.

And as for selling your Stout.....BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Which year was it?

These Stout frames are 1 in a million; **** just happens sometimes (for the better) and every once in a while a classic is born.... the Stout frame (in cro-mo) is definitely a jackpot of a frame. For me, it's the junctions where the DT+TT meet the HT ... ditto SS meeting the SP..... it's like perfect... not even Leonardo Da Vinci could have drawn a better diagram!!!

And of the course, the looptail at the back gives it it's signature look.

I just can't see how I can get myself a better frame... like anywhere or anyhow. I'm so stoked on it, that I bought 2 of them. (15")

If anyone knows of any 15" for sale (any of the CRO-MO years) then please post it in here, coz I want to buy another 2 just for keeps!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Back to rigid. Might not go down as fast, but it looks good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Different Fork?

Mine with a Surly Instigator fork works good for me (shorter!)

Here is my bike with all the recent updates... Avid BB7's, adjustable neck, Specialized seat and 1x9 gear set. Running Shimano Alvino Shifter and derailleur parts... they were inexpensive but still work pretty good.

I am looking at forks... would like some advice on what fork to run from you guys. Still want a rigid cro mo fork and have been looking at the Salsa or the On One... but also considering the White Brothers and the Niner carbon forks too. They are much more then what I want to spend but the reviews on them have been pretty strong. I would like to bring the front end down and quicken up the steering a bit but I worry that I will miss the angle of the taller original fork.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Name:	IMAG0914.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	903008

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sick Mods, Totally!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Giving this thread some new love, and looking for some input/guidance. I have the red, chromo Stout. Great bike; high fun factor return on initial investment, years ago. It has been shelved for awhile, relinquished to occasional neighborhood rides and commutes.

My son recently cracked the frame on his bike, so he has now commandeered my x-country bike from me and I have dusted off the Stout for the Tahoe summer. I added a BB7 to the front, back disc to follow shortly (just have to put it on).

I have a bad shoulder, have to put a suspension fork on the Stout.

I can wrench on motorcycles, but have never tinkered much with bicycles.

Can someone explain measurements and info on front forks and help me pick something simple to put on this bike?

Will this fork work? Amazon.com : RockShox Xc28 Magtk Coil 100 29-Inch 9Qr Black Turnkey Crown Adjust Steel Steerer, 1 1/8-Inch Disc : Bike Suspension Forks : Sports & Outdoors What else do I need to buy to do the swap? Any other parts?

I want to do the work with my son. He's 13 and just getting into mtb'ing and I love it; found an activity that we are really enjoying doing together! Woo hoo!

Thanks!!

B.Ike
    ^^that fork will work. (I'd spend a little more and get a better one) no special tools if you can figure out how to get the race off of your old fork and install it on the new one. there should be a youtube on it. good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Flathead screwdriver can take the race off and a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot can do the install. Do some research on the fork and get a "best buy".

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've tinkered with an 80mm and a 100mm fork on a 17" Stout. I thought the bike handled better with the 80mm..
    100mm will work, but 80 was better for me.

Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post
    Giving this thread some new love, and looking for some input/guidance. I have the red, chromo Stout. Great bike; high fun factor return on initial investment, years ago. It has been shelved for awhile, relinquished to occasional neighborhood rides and commutes.

My son recently cracked the frame on his bike, so he has now commandeered my x-country bike from me and I have dusted off the Stout for the Tahoe summer. I added a BB7 to the front, back disc to follow shortly (just have to put it on).

I can wrench on motorcycles, but have never tinkered much with bicycles.

Can someone explain measurements and info on front forks and help me pick something simple to put on this bike?

Will this fork work? Amazon.com : RockShox Xc28 Magtk Coil 100 29-Inch 9Qr Black Turnkey Crown Adjust Steel Steerer, 1 1/8-Inch Disc : Bike Suspension Forks : Sports & Outdoors What else do I need to buy to do the swap? Any other parts?

I want to do the work with my son. He's 13 and just getting into mtb'ing and I love it; found an activity that we are really enjoying doing together! Woo hoo!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Saint B; 06-15-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post

I have the older AL stout which has the fatter 44mm head tube and internal bearings. That gave me the option of running a tapered steerer fork with an external lower cup. Does the steel have the bigger head tube? If so that gives you more options. Although a benefit to the 1 1/8 straight steerer is that prices are dropping as every one goes to tapered steerer/thru axle.

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20140321-00369.jpgPost your SE Stout 29er pics!-img-20141214-00448.jpg

mtbr member
    https://instagram.com/p/8a0TK4GLOM/ I'm not ready for winter!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ...here is mine

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-se_stout.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darr View Post
    ...here is mine

Name:	SE_Stout.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	1131404
    I really like that color. Looks like a nice build with attention to detail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aim av View Post
    I really like that color. Looks like a nice build with attention to detail.
    Thanks! I was trying to replicate the powder blue from the SE BMX glory days

mtbr member
    Hey! Been a long while since this post seen some action. I use to be known as TFTRL on this thread. I had actually sold my 2011 Stout a couple years ago thinking I wanted to try a Fat Bike. But I ended up selling that and regretting selling my SE Stout.

So, I searched and searched for one in the right size and all. It took me a while to locate one all the way across country in San Fran (I'm in NJ), via craigslist. It's a 2010. I've had it for about a year now and LOVE the crap out of it! Love it more than my 2011 I sold. Why? Because I totally appreciate what I have again.

New tires (tubeless), new pedals, disc brakes, seat post, stem and bar...not much. Over a year of riding lots of rooty, wet n muddy trails. Lot's of little and big logs rolled over on it. Lots and lots of small but fun jumps and a few crashes...yet the only damage done has been I cracked a pedal and the original seat post on a fall off a ride on a fallen tree (I'm ok thanks for asking).

Pic of the day I broke the pedal and seat post (look at that cool F'n Frame will ya?!?!) And a pic of it on the next ride. Steel is Real indeed!

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-bikeporn.jpgPost your SE Stout 29er pics!-seatpost.jpg
    All you have to do when you fall is to get back up

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good to see that there is still Stout love out in the world.

I'm riding a green wood-grain 2010. Kept it rigid. Modified it to run 3x9 gears with 2.2" tires. It's my go-to bike.
    Ride this thing on road, gravel, hard pack single track, and rocky technical trail. Does everything good enough and is fun to ride.

These frames are few and far between, but well worth it.

B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint B View Post
    Good to see that there is still Stout love out in the world.

I'm riding a green wood-grain 2010. Kept it rigid. Modified it to run 3x9 gears with 2.2" tires. It's my go-to bike.
    Ride this thing on road, gravel, hard pack single track, and rocky technical trail. Does everything good enough and is fun to ride.

These frames are few and far between, but well worth it.

B

Cool man thanks for the reply now I don't feel so all alone lol.

As you said, "Does everything good enough" for me too and my type of riding. I'm not riding crazy mountains. I'm a trail rider not a mountain biker here in South Jersey. I ride Cerez Park and Camden County College trails if anyone needs to see the type of terrain that this bike handles VERY well. It's all about the rider too on a SS rigid. You get out what you can put in. If there is a hill I can't make then I jump off the bike and roll or carry it and do some cyclocross till I get back in the saddle

Post a pic or two of yours if you can buddy.

mtbr member
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-bikeporn5.jpgAnother pic I just saw in my phone...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stout.jpg

My girl, Brigid Fonda

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint B View Post

Name:	Stout.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	1226637

My girl, Brigid Fonda

Thanks for the bike porn! Cool name too. Although I've never named mine hmm...

mtbr member
    Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stout2.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stout4.jpg

Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stout3.jpg

New pics from last ride. Such a beautiful frame especially when dirty.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Members who have read this thread: 37