Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hey L09erdr, What size did you get? and if you don't mind, how tall are you and how do you like the fit? I'm 5'11" and on the fence between 17" or 19"... any recommendation? Thanks!

dirty shirt good ride
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610
    im a little upset with jenson. The bike came with a couple of paint chips. the brakes werent set up right and the rear brake cable isnt routed properly. they forgot to put it through the guides. but the bike rides nice. im going to contact them soon
    The clips on the guides pull off and snap back over cable housing, mine came same way. First bike they sent me, Jenson, had a bent rear dropout and had to be sent back, new one arrived this a.m. Chain was connected with a twist so that I had to break chain and reconnect. Bike looks great though, way better in person so if anyone is unsure you should be pleased.

mtbr member
    I don't think I have ever gotten a bike, LBS bikes included, that didn't have a paint chip or few, from shipping. This Stout included. That's the nature of a bike that was shipped from China to the States, then to me.

Regarding the brake setup, I backed off the adjusters quite a bit, as I like a little more play in my levers than what they sent it with. Bolt on wheels tend to be a little more difficult to square up when installing, due to their tendency to want to walk a little when tightening down the nuts. I did adjust the brake pads as well, but that is just personal preference.

Regarding the cable for the rear brake, they leave the front cable hanger unattached due to the fact that they left the bars off, and it's easier to pack with it not attached. It's just a plastic clip that comes off and snaps back on, so that's a no biggie item, too.

Took me more time to pull off all the packing materials than to make the adjustments and assemble the bike.

A pat on the back to the guys at SE Racing, for the choice of color on the brake cable housings and rims. The bronze anodized rims really look great on the bike with the color scheme.

Will be stopping by one of the "open on Sunday" local bike shops today to pick up a 20t rear cog for mine. It's going to find some time in the woods this week, and that is the only real adjustment that I plan on making to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fivetenagain
    Hey L09erdr, What size did you get? and if you don't mind, how tall are you and how do you like the fit? I'm 5'11" and on the fence between 17" or 19"... any recommendation? Thanks!
    I'm about 5'10", with a 30" inseam, and got a 17" Stout. When I stand over it, the boys rest on the top tube. From a "ball room" perspective, I should have gone with a 15", but I need the longer headtube of the 17" over the 15".

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I didnt want to pull to hard on anything plastic. ill attach it today. Im really happy with the bike. i rode it for about a mile around the neighborhood to make sure i set it up right and it felt so right.

and the paint looks so much better in person. the photos do not do it justice. i have absolutely no regrets.

L09erdr

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by fivetenagain
    Mines a 19" or L, Large.... as other companies call/size their bikes.... Im 6'2, I like the fit of the bike. You being 5'11 your at a odd point to where you should prob go with the 17" but if you'd want a lil bigger bike you might be alright on a 19" running the seat a little lower. Id like to say 6' and over for the 19" size but depending on if your legs are shorter or longer and how long your arms are can come into play. Some people are all legs others have longer arms or reach than they are tall and that can change what size they choose feels the best. If your arms (Wingspan its called measuring middle finger tip to middle finger tip) are not longer than you are tall then the shorter top tube on the 17" should fit you better. Your right at or around the cutoff of the M sized 17" Yet right at the begining of the rider size for the 19" L size. Hope this cleared some smoke and mirrors for you so you can measure or help you think about how you want the bike to feel. You can also manuver or toss the 17" around a little easier. I almost went with a 17 but, me being over 6 foot id have to have my seat super high on the 17 when im sitting down or what I like to call "in the saddle time"of your ride. Which I could go more into detail about this and that about leg extension etc but I think I covered enough here for now Hopefully I didnt confuse you more! Youll prob be happy with the 17" M I'd say.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just ordered my 2010 today and added a BB7 for up front (will do the rear when I have more coin). I went with the 21" since I'm 6'3" and some change. Hope it all works out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Rufus, please post up how your bike fits when you get it. I am still on the fence between 19" and 21". I wish I could find one locally to test out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    can 1 of the 19" owners do me a favor and measure the distance from the top of the BB to the bottom of the top tube? this is a wierd measurement... just got to know for a project i am building. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    can one of the 19" owners measure the distance from the top of the BB to the BOTTOM of the top tube?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

SE Stout 09'

Just ordered a 09' Stout from Jensen's. $280. The wait is killing me. From what I have read, these bikes are pretty much the best bikes for how much you spend. My brother has a Surly 1x1. I'm itching to go on some trail rides with him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDan
    Just ordered a 09' Stout from Jensen's. $280. The wait is killing me. From what I have read, these bikes are pretty much the best bikes for how much you spend. My brother has a Surly 1x1. I'm itching to go on some trail rides with him.
    Just got back from a short ride on my 2010. I am very pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just road about 10 miles today on mine. I thinkt he rear brake is really out of adjustment and the wheel is slight out of true but it wasnt something that effected the ride to bad. I adjusted the brake and had probably the best ride in a while. my first rigid bike since i was a kid and im in love.

quick question though. I thought i installed the chain tensioner correctly but when i was going up a hill today the bolt sheared on it and the tire turned sideways rubbing the frame. my question is what did i do wrong here? its my first time using a tensioner. and does anyone know ere i can get a replacement?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    just road about 10 miles today on mine. I thinkt he rear brake is really out of adjustment and the wheel is slight out of true but it wasnt something that effected the ride to bad. I adjusted the brake and had probably the best ride in a while. my first rigid bike since i was a kid and im in love.

quick question though. I thought i installed the chain tensioner correctly but when i was going up a hill today the bolt sheared on it and the tire turned sideways rubbing the frame. my question is what did i do wrong here? its my first time using a tensioner. and does anyone know ere i can get a replacement?
    the surly tuggnut is a good replacement. for less money, get the redline bmx tensioners. But I think most people agree the surly tuggnut is the best option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As far as how to set up the tensioner, just look at some other people's pictures to see how it goes on there. Basically, you just slide it onto your axle before you put the axle nut on there, and slide the wheel into the dropouts. Find the correct chain tension, and tighten the axle nuts. Then, you tighten the small nut on the chain tensioner to keep the wheel from sliding forward. The little black square piece should fit over the end of your dropout.

Also, if your wheel came loose during your ride, i'd make sure you tighten the axle nuts more . I've ridden without a tensioner at all with no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So I'm kinda a newbie and I've never bought a new bike. Online or otherwise, and I was wondering if when it arrives will it be preoiled/pregreased?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    the surly tuggnut is a good replacement. for less money, get the redline bmx tensioners. But I think most people agree the surly tuggnut is the best option.

While the Surly Tuggnut has the obvious advantage of having a built in bottle-opener , DMR has some versions that are more compatible with the SE frame. Here's the version with hanger http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...temid=CTMHTRAN

and without http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...ts&itemid=CT10

mtbr member

Frisco Highline Trail - 10/02/2010
    (between Willard and Walnut Grove)

L09erdr

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by purethief
    can one of the 19" owners measure the distance from the top of the BB to the BOTTOM of the top tube?
    Top of the BB to Bottom of the top tube on my 19 is 15.5 - 15.625 depending on where you measure. Are you talking straight up from the BB or at the same angle as the seat tube?

What idea might you be thinking?
    Last edited by L09erdr; 10-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.

L09erdr

Do you plan on using a deraliur at all? If not look to something like some Kore Pistols or some other similar type of chain tensioners. You can try running it tensioner less and snug the axle bolts down real well. Im no longer using my tensioner and have yet to pull the axle up in the dropouts either(rear is strong and stiff). You must have been really putting the hammer down when that tensioner broke Id send or sell you mine but if you dont plan to use a derailur id go with one/some that are a bit stronger. My guess is you possibly didnt have the drive side axle nut tight enough and all or most of your weight went straight to the tensioner. Give it a try without tensioners? Snug the axle nuts quite tightly. Then if you still have the rear axle come up go for some BMX style 3/8 axle size tensioners.
    Last edited by L09erdr; 10-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.

L09erdr
    So I'm kinda a newbie and I've never bought a new bike. Online or otherwise, and I was wondering if when it arrives will it be preoiled/pregreased?
    Yes, however its always not a bad idea to check here and there. Most of it comes pre assembled.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by L09erdr
    Yes, however its always not a bad idea to check here and there. Most of it comes pre assembled.
    Yeah I noticed that, and I checked it anyways. My stout is awesome. Other than the huge F@#%$&G scratch on the frame, I'd say it was a good buy. After riding a 26 the 29 felt amazing. It felt very solid. I've been riding a Diamond Back Response and compared to the Stout it was a sad replacement. I'm ready to hit some trails.

L09erdr
    Yeah I noticed that, and I checked it anyways. My stout is awesome. Other than the huge F@#%$&G scratch on the frame, I'd say it was a good buy. After riding a 26 the 29 felt amazing. It felt very solid. I've been riding a Diamond Back Response and compared to the Stout it was a sad replacement. I'm ready to hit some trails.
    Nice.. yeah there is no touch up paint for the Stout best thing to do is get some paint thats as close to the color as possible. Bikes get used like a car so keeping a bike perfect is kinda like not driving a car or letting it sit in the garage. Do you want it to look pretty or be something you can ride and be functional? Im the same way... like a nice looking car or bike but at the same time you have to realize a machine cant stay perfect/flawless forever. The frame can always be repainted or powder coated down the road once it hits the too many scratches beyond ugly mark.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    Don't forget SEs have the looptail. Those are sweet.
    What are looptails? Im kinda new to mtb so I dont know the lingo.

L09erdr
    What are looptails? Im kinda new to mtb so I dont know the lingo.
    If you look at this picture http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...339018/cat/502

and you look at this picture... http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Om7pveY9p-...+example+1.jpg

What do you see thats different on the rear triangle (half) of the frame? On a looptail the chain stays (which are the tubes that come from the bottom bracket) and seat stays (the tubes that come from the seat tube) are looped together near the dropouts. Yes the 09 Stout has this as well.. Its almost a trademark of SE Bikes but a few other companies have used the design as well. Not 100% sure on the full history of "The Looptail" but SE Bikes did it back in the 90's on their BMX bikes Oh and BTW your Stout is not only a looptail but also wishboned as well. Makes for a strong/stiff rear triangle.

L09erdr
    Next question your going to ask is whats wishbone? Before you ask... its when the seat stays or chainstays (depending on the frame design) are not directly attachd to the seat tube or bottom bracket. Instead the chainstays or seat stays come off a larger tube and it looks like a upside down Y or a wishbone hence the name given.

Looks like this https://www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/P1010135.JPG Which is a pic of a wishboned seat stay. Youll learn/get to know more of the technical terms and bike lingo as you called it the more your into biking Hope this answered your questions!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

ooops...

oh s**t...did i f**k-up?
    i posted a few times before when the subject came up "what lower price ss 29er should i buy?" that one of my riding buddies has a bikedirect deadeye that turned out a bit big for him & is just not as nicely made as a stout. also thanx to input i got here & in other threads, i reworked my drivetrain over the past 10 days, after i already upgraded bars, stem, & other lil bits. i think it turned out purty good!
    we went riding yesterday & when he saw what i'd done & after he practically snatched it from me to try it...
    my buddy offered to buy my bike & threw out a price that i thought was a joke it was so high. so i told him i'd take it, thinking he’d back-out but then he said he would pick it up this morning so he could have the bike for a trip he is taking over weekend. to make a long story short, he's headed here now with the cash. after sleeping on it, i am having seller's remorse & am not sure what to do.
    sure, he could’ve bought a new green one from jenson for less (which he knows) but i put a lot of work into mine so i shouldn't feel like i screwed him, right?
    looking at it selfishly, i do really like this bike. i know i can easily replace it but that means shopping & comparing & considering & deciding. wonder if it's worth the hassle.
    hmmm, what to do?
    oh well, guess it's goodbye to my stout...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    oh s**t...did i f**k-up?
    i posted a few times before when the subject came up "what lower price ss 29er should i buy?" that one of my riding buddies has a bikedirect deadeye that turned out a bit big for him & is just not as nicely made as a stout. also thanx to input i got here & in other threads, i reworked my drivetrain over the past 10 days, after i already upgraded bars, stem, & other lil bits. i think it turned out purty good!
    we went riding yesterday & when he saw what i'd done & after he practically snatched it from me to try it...
    my buddy offered to buy my bike & threw out a price that i thought was a joke it was so high. so i told him i'd take it, thinking he’d back-out but then he said he would pick it up this morning so he could have the bike for a trip he is taking over weekend. to make a long story short, he's headed here now with the cash. after sleeping on it, i am having seller's remorse & am not sure what to do.
    sure, he could’ve bought a new green one from jenson for less (which he knows) but i put a lot of work into mine so i shouldn't feel like i screwed him, right?
    looking at it selfishly, i do really like this bike. i know i can easily replace it but that means shopping & comparing & considering & deciding. wonder if it's worth the hassle.
    hmmm, what to do?
    oh well, guess it's goodbye to my stout...

Perfect excuse for the 2011!

mtbr member
    If anyone has ditched their stock saddle, PM me with what you want for it. I have been extremely pleased with the one on my 2010, and would like a spare or few.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bchrismer
    If anyone has ditched their stock saddle, PM me with what you want for it. I have been extremely pleased with the one on my 2010, and would like a spare or few.

Thanks.
    I would REALLY like to get one of the brown ones from a 2011!

L09erdr

Listen!

markaitch Yes... if he is offering you more than what you got into your 09 and enough to upgrade to the 2010 or 2011 model Id do it then just rebuild the 2010 or 2011 model up over time with similar upgrades.

Then again your call... newer isnt always better to everyone. The 2010 frame has double butted tubing im not sure if the 2011 does or not. Is a lil stronger frame really necessary for you/your riding style? SE needs to UPDATE THEIR SITE ASAP! So folks can see details on the 2011 Stout.

bchrismer Good luck on geting the 2011 Saddle bown seat. You might try emailing someone at advancedsports.com being so new I doubt they have any spares to sell yet. Otherwise you would have to find a 2011 Stout owner that decides to part with their stocker. Good luck! 2011's arent even in the LBS around here yet.

mtbr member
    I found that mine started to creak all the time. It seems to be the saddle moving on the rails as the seat is firmly attached to the seatpost, and once I changed the seat it was fine. I agree that they are comfortable.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have another question. My rear wheel keeps slipping when i start up. It already sheered the chain tensioner. I have tightened the nuts down as tight as i can but it still happens. am i missing something here. this is not my first single speed bike but its the first that this has happened on. I was ridding to work this morning and had to pull over twice to adjust the wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by breadbeard2
    The clips on the guides pull off and snap back over cable housing, mine came same way. First bike they sent me, Jenson, had a bent rear dropout and had to be sent back, new one arrived this a.m. Chain was connected with a twist so that I had to break chain and reconnect. Bike looks great though, way better in person so if anyone is unsure you should be pleased.

Yeah mine had a big scratc. And the brakes weren't routed right. What are they doing at jensen? Crazy. I never thought to check for bent stuff. I didn't know how to complain. Do I write a bad review about Jenson with a good review on the stout?

mtbr member

on the new State Park Trails in Branson, MO

L09erdr
    I have another question. My rear wheel keeps slipping when i start up. It already sheered the chain tensioner. I have tightened the nuts down as tight as i can but it still happens. am i missing something here. this is not my first single speed bike but its the first that this has happened on. I was ridding to work this morning and had to pull over twice to adjust the wheel.
    Wow seems like your having a heck of a time:
    Got your chain tension too tight?
    What are you using to tighten down the rear axle bolts?
    Do you have the axle/bolt washers on the outside of your dropouts?

If all above is correct you may want to get 1 (for the drive side) or a pair of BMX style chain tensioners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is the 2011 SE Stout really gonna be 26.30lbs? If so thats like 4lbs difference. I LOVE my '09 but I want to cut some weight off of it without spending so much to improve a rather heavy frame. If the new stout is $500 that seems worth it, haha.

Stupid 29'er rigid SS, I should have never purchased you!!! Now you will run me out of house and home. My $2500 Full suspension is collecting cobwebs now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had so much fun on my stout today. road another ten miles. I turned a 4 mile bike ride home into a little bit under 10. nice. the only problem is the rear tire is really out of whack. im going to have to bring it in and get it trued. oh well.

L09erdr
    RockadileSX - Yeah the 2011 is lighter...prob around 3- 4 lbs lighter than the 09 Stout but its only around 2 lbs lighter than the 2010 Stout. Change a few parts and it makes it that much lighter. Not sure on the retail price. SE bikes said their new site would be up last week, hopefully this week? Not sure what the holdup is. Where did you see that weight spec and $500 price?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    RockadileSX - Yeah the 2011 is lighter...prob around 3- 4 lbs lighter than the 09 Stout but its only around 2 lbs lighter than the 2010 Stout. Change a few parts and it makes it that much lighter. Not sure on the retail price. SE bikes said their new site would be up last week, hopefully this week? Not sure what the holdup is. Where did you see that weight spec and $500 price?
    Im totally guessing on the price.

28.7 -2010 weight (according to SE site)
    29.93 -2009 weight
    Weight difference of approx 1.2 lbs

580g http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...ock-eight.aspx
    750g http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...540/5099/42069
    Difference per tire = 170 so thats 340gr total.
    Thats 12oz, or 3/4 of a lb.
    The other 6oz. has to be the rims and double butting upgrades for 2010.
    With identical tires the two bikes are less than 1/2 a pound different.

What really got me is the 2011 looked like it had Nevegals or similar tire on it which is beefy and it was still at 26.30lbs. So Im really excited to throw some small blocks on it, and it would be 25lbs.

L09erdr

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX

29.93 -2009 weight

What really got me is the 2011 looked like it had Nevegals or similar tire on it which is beefy and it was still at 26.30lbs. So Im really excited to throw some small blocks on it, and it would be 25lbs.
    Yeah you got them grams, oz.'s and lbs to a science there lol.. Alot of the weight difference between the 10' and the 11' is in the frame design changes and the fork. MSRP, LBS, and Retailers/Online dealers should have the price up eventually lol...
    Last edited by L09erdr; 10-14-2010 at 07:25 AM.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    Yeah you got them grams, oz.'s and lbs to a scince there lol.. Alot of the weight difference between the 10' and the 11' is in the frame design changes and the fork. MSRP, LBS, and Retailers/Online dealers should have the price up eventually lol...
    Like here: http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...186&Prod=19858

I don't think the weight is enough to sway me, I'm probably going to order a 2010 for my upcoming USA trip.

L09erdr
    Wow nice find there!! ntj Looks as though the price went up or thats MSRP. I agree with you the weight isnt a big seller for me either. To others it is.. if your a "Weight Weenie" lol..

Edit: I just found a similiar link myself! With an even higher price tag
    http://shop.goeasyonline.com.au/stor...1in-by-se.html
    Last edited by L09erdr; 10-14-2010 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Originally Posted by L09erdr
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockadileSX

29.93 -2009 weight

Yeah you got them grams, oz.'s and lbs to a scince there lol.. Alot of the weight difference between the 10' and the 11' is in the frame design changes and the fork. MSRP, LBS, and Retailers/Online dealers should have the price up eventually lol...
    hey all...
    i did end up selling my 09 stout (at a profit, i might add) & as ridiculous as this sounds am "this close" to buying another red one.
    here is my 2 cents regarding the '11 model & this weight discussion:
    i recently spoke at length with a couple guys at se looking for info to use in the re-gearing i did on the bike i just sold. i made it a point to ask them about the new stout & both told me the frame weighed the same as in '10, that the weight loss was due to the new fork. my favorite lbs is a se dealer, he told me the same thing.
    i really prefer the rear triangle wishbones on the past 2 years stouts, it is sort of a se trademark rear-end treatment & i hate to see it go. i also don't love the new color.
    so RockadileSX...if you like the looks of the new stout & want a new bike who am i to comment on it, but...
    you can lighten your green bike dramatically & for a lot less $ than buying a new one by simply changing the fork. while i do like the landing gear (another se trademark) look & strength of the stock fork, it is a boat anchor & there are a lot of weight saving alternatives available for very decent prices.
    for example...i think this 9er fork in gold for only $109 would look pretty cool with the green & is bound to be a lot lighter than your stock fork:
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-...teel-fork.aspx
    btw...$580 has long been msrp on stouts even though they were always available for less. L09erdr...those guys you linked to are really out to gouge their customers!

edit:
    ooops...just noticed those guys are in australia, maybe that accounts for their hi price?
    Last edited by markaitch; 10-14-2010 at 07:46 AM.

L09erdr
    Yeah more than likely does account for the higher AU $$ price. Didnt notice that...

I agree with you mostly on what you posted above markaitch! You should think about a Green 2010 yourself not another red 09. Changing your fork can shed some weight but you have to also look at the fork offset. Fork offset can change a few things and effect how the bike handles overall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ok L09erdr...you gotta promise not to laugh while i give you my reasons for going right back to an '09 instead of a newer stout:
    the main one is that i need a small!
    even if i ignore the 20% price difference, jenson has the red in 15" but not the green.
    i've mentioned a few times before that my lbs hangout is a se dealer & i am starting to feel bad that i have not bought a bike from him in a looong time. he told he can prolly still get me a red stout for maybe even a bit less than jenson is charging, how could i say no to that?
    sure, the lower weight on a green frame is nice but i can find relatively inexpensive ways to save a 1-2 lb somewhere easy like seat, seatpost, bars, stem, tires, etc.
    lastly is my ridiculous esthetic values. even though the graphics are loud, i like red better than green. i just never cared for bikes (or cars) in beige, brown, green, yellow, etc. kinda silly hmmm?
    perhaps even weirder...i like the se cutout in the 09's trackends that i don't think the green one has:

so if i do go thru with another stout, it will be a red one

edit: btw...bchrismer, you still looking for a stock stout seat? i have a favorite saddle i always swap to & if i do get another stout i would sell its seat. pm me to discuss
    Last edited by markaitch; 10-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.

L09erdr
    Ok some odd reasons there yes but... Ok... if thats what you choose. No need for the added strength of double butted tubing huh? You must be a shorter guy needing a 15 size?

All else aside... funny you bring up the rear dropout change. I was actualy in contact with SE about that and while most if not all bike models in 09 had both dropouts cut out/logo'd I think. The 2010's for the most part did not and I think the 2011's also look to not. Why this change was made? I think it was partly a manufacturing cost cut possibly. I was also told though that they had some problems with tweaked dropouts on a few of the 09's right around the logo. Without the logo you have a more rigid dropout. They also mentioned on the 09 one of the logos looks backwards and they felt that it wasnt necessary to put 2 logos any longer. They killed two issues with one logo removal. 2 birds with one stone if you will lol... This almost made me want go with the 09 but a small logo is little to me compared to a few other better things that is on the 2010.

Anyway im suprised your LBS doesnt have any 2010's that you can see in person. Red is alright though the brake cables and other logos on the bars and stuff are a bit neat on the 09. Just cant see why they chose to do the 2011 the way they did lol. Doesnt appeal to me or you but others will like it! You watch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was going to buy a 10' also but I too am a short guy. So I went with a 09' I wasn't too excited for the red but it turned out alot better than I expected. Personally I think that the wood grain green is pretty Bad Daddy.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    Order placed. I'll be over in Rochester in the second half of November and my 2010 will be waiting for me. This is now going to be a good trip!

Agree not to worry about weight. I got the weenie thing out of my system - took 1.5 kg off my Superlight and it really isn't that much better to ride as a result. All this bike is getting is disk brakes, and I'll see how the saddle goes.

Edit: Is anyone here able to let me know what length disk brake cable I will need for a large frame?
    Last edited by ntj; 10-18-2010 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    hey all...
    i did end up selling my 09 stout (at a profit, i might add) & as ridiculous as this sounds am "this close" to buying another red one.
    here is my 2 cents regarding the '11 model & this weight discussion:
    i recently spoke at length with a couple guys at se looking for info to use in the re-gearing i did on the bike i just sold. i made it a point to ask them about the new stout & both told me the frame weighed the same as in '10, that the weight loss was due to the new fork. my favorite lbs is a se dealer, he told me the same thing.
    i really prefer the rear triangle wishbones on the past 2 years stouts, it is sort of a se trademark rear-end treatment & i hate to see it go. i also don't love the new color.
    so RockadileSX...if you like the looks of the new stout & want a new bike who am i to comment on it, but...
    you can lighten your green bike dramatically & for a lot less $ than buying a new one by simply changing the fork. while i do like the landing gear (another se trademark) look & strength of the stock fork, it is a boat anchor & there are a lot of weight saving alternatives available for very decent prices.
    for example...i think this 9er fork in gold for only $109 would look pretty cool with the green & is bound to be a lot lighter than your stock fork:
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-...teel-fork.aspx
    btw...$580 has long been msrp on stouts even though they were always available for less. L09erdr...those guys you linked to are really out to gouge their customers!

edit:
    ooops...just noticed those guys are in australia, maybe that accounts for their hi price?
    I have the '09 a red one now. The difference is almost 4lbs between the 09' and the 11', IF the claimed weight of 26.3 is true. Not to mention the 11' has much beefier tires, so its already at a disadvantage. With matching tires who knows how much lighter it could feel.

I mean I like that link you sent me, thats a pretty good deal, but that gold fork weighs over 2lbs. What does our stock fork weigh now? I just don't see a fork making up 4lbs. I can sell my red SE for $200 though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    10/01/2010

Put the platforms on it temporarily, to test ride. Have a set of Ritchey Logic V4's for it, too.

After cruising around the street, I think I am going to buy a couple of cheap rear cogs to play with the ratio. With the 32/18, I think it's a little taller than my abilities on the local trails.
    Is yours a 15 or 17 inch???

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just got mine today, but won't have time to assemble it til at least tomorrow night, gotta get my E30 back together first. Maybe i'll get my winter stuff out and do a night ride tomorrow, and then get it dirty this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nice to see more Stout owners out their , now i just have to find some time and put on all the new stuff i got for it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djm271@bellsouth.net
    Is yours a 15 or 17 inch???
    Mine's 17"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

bm flyer anyone?

what do the stout riders think of this one?
    i found a leftover bm flyer from '05, '06? it is the stout's immediate ancestor. it is an alu frame but has a pretty cool fork, a curve in the seattube, a chain tensioner, cable stops for f&r der & a wishbone looptail. even has the $580 original price sticker hanging from it. of course i would expect a very sizable discount, but he won't go 1/2 price & it doesn't fit me perfectly. i don't get why jenson has just the 1 size in green so low & didn't drop price on the red.

i just hurt myself pretty badly for the 2nd time in under a month riding my stumpy, makes me think i need to get back on a ss 29er before i kill myself

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just ordered my '10 last night from Jenson. I ordered a new stem (shorty Thomson Elite) and some S&M Cruiser Slam bmx bars!

I went with the Thomson (and some 22.2 shims) to allow me to easily switch between "BMX mode" and "MTB mode". Since I've got an extra set of brake levers and grips should make for an easy swap when I need to.

BTW, I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I went with the 17". I really wanted a 19" just because I like the geo looks on the bigger bikes, but clearance in the crotch area was more important! :-)

///MikeD, I wanted to order mine weeks ago, but I had to get my e46 back together first. All my $$$ was tied up for new pads and rotors (motorsport) all the way around.

mtbr member
    a set of Avid BB7's arrived at my door yesterday. I ordered 2 with 185mm rotors, intending on swapping a 160 off the front of my Specialized Hardrock to use on the rear of my Stout. The picture showed the clean sweeps, and I received the roundagons. Since they don't match the clean sweeps on the Hardrock, I just put both 185's on my Stout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    15 in '09 ordered just now : ) so stoked to get her

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    http://www.sebikes.com/stout29er.html

Ugh its in and they have a great litte write up on it claiming a 2.4lb weight loss, now I have something to dream about again even though I just got my 09.

L09erdr
    Interesting find there markaitch too bad its not your size. Jenson looks to only have the 15 in the 09 Red stout and 17" on up on the 2010. They prob lowered the price to clear the few they had in the smallest size left. Or they had a few returns they slashed the price down on.

The new http://www.sebikes.com website is up! They have yet to put the specs and bike descriptions up It looks like. Says they have some more tweaking to do on the website so we'll see. Should show up later on

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well last weekend I went up to visit my brother and we went and rode some trails. After riding 2 hours i found a trail we had not yet explored. I decided to go first BC I am the faster rider. I took off down the trail to find it to be the best trail i have ridden yet. Tight turns with berms and steep unexpected drop offs. It finally lead to a beach so we got off your bikes and went to look around. When we got back I can to find a twig sticking out of my tire. Oh great a flat tire. Then my brother pointed out that my rear tire was flat also. So I realized that I dont really like the 09" Stout tires. I'm thinking of buying new meatier tires. And is it just me or is it really easy to bend the rims? I was super upset that the rim was bent so easy and then the brakes rubbed. SO im also thinking about swapping out discs too.
    Last edited by DiscGolfDan; 11-03-2010 at 04:15 PM.

L09erdr
    DiscGolfDan - Might want to have your rims true'd by someone that knows what they are doing and can adkust for proper spoke tension and such. The rims are on the strong side really (BMX double wall type) compared to others out there. And flats well... they happen, better tires or some tire liners or whatever may be in order depending on where you ride. Tire pressure can help too.. Sounds like some rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's mine. I've had it since May and have made quite a few changes since then.

I've added:

Ergon grips
    RST M29 suspension fork
    Avid BB7s with G2 rotors
    Avid SD7 levers
    20t cog
    Easton XC One SS rear wheel
    Mavic A319 front wheel with XT hub
    Crank Brothers Candy X pedals

I think I'm done upgrading, for a while at least. It's a great bike, the only thing I don't like is that it weighs a ton. Has anyone weighed the bars, stem, seatpost, and crankset? I'm curious how much weight I could save on those. I know I could save weight on the saddle as well, but I find it quite comfortable.

mtbr member
    a set of Avid BB7's arrived at my door yesterday. I ordered 2 with 185mm rotors, intending on swapping a 160 off the front of my Specialized Hardrock to use on the rear of my Stout. The picture showed the clean sweeps, and I received the roundagons. Since they don't match the clean sweeps on the Hardrock, I just put both 185's on my Stout.
    Hey bchrismer, post some new pics with the BB7s on!

mtbr member
    Sorry...too lazy to resize the pic's, and if I post them here, they will be HUGE...

Here's a link to the album I have on the Old Farts Bike Gang site.
    http://oldfartsbikegang.com/?page_id=193

I still haven't trimmed and capped the cables yet, but here's the pic's. I ran the front cable through the fork to keep it from rubbing on the head tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. But I'm thinking of getting a rigid 29er, probably the Stout because of the price. What do you guys think of the Stout with a short stem (50/70mm) and a wide handlebar (700/745mm)? I would be using it for mtb (70%) and commuting (30%). Thanks.

mtbr member
    my other bikes have narrower bars than my Stout, so I am definitely the wrong person to answer your question. I'm really pleased with mine. My Specialized isn't so happy with it, because it isn't getting any attention anymore!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just in today (2009 frame):

Getting loaded up with a fresh paint job all around first...

Parts bucket:
    Avid BB7+Shimano XT levers
    Ritchie flatbar
    Ritchie Shortie bar ends
    Easton EA90 120mm stem and seatpost
    Race Face 175mm crank arms and BB
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    32T Shimano XT + BBG Bashguards

Needed:
    Wheelset+Tires
    Rear cogs
    Chain

Wanted:
    Carbon fork

mtbr member
    Hey guys, was going to jump on one of the blowout 2010's at Jenson but I really like that the 2011 is lighter. Im also digging that sand frame.

What do you guys think? Get the close out or spend the extra bucks for the weight savings?

mtbr member
    I vote for one of each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1
    Just in today (2009 frame):

Test fitting everything together.

Lost the LX shifters already, new grips and crankset should be in middle of next week. Purchased rims, skewers and nipples... just need hubs now. Stuff gets expensive!

mtbr member
    I vote for one of each.

I'll let you dig the grave in the backyard. Once the wife finds out...

mtbr member
    fryed_1

What frame specifically is that? It has an integrated headset which I don't see on any of the recent Stout frames...?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hey fryed_1...
    if mymillkexpired is hinting that yours cannot be an '09 stout frame, i agree.
    the obvious clue is the rear triangle - no wishbones or looptail...gotta be '08.
    is it steel? or maybe it is actually alu?
    it's a shame se is redoing their site, it used to have catalogs, with all the specs, going back quite a few years that made it pretty easy to identify older se bikes.
    anyway,...whatever model it is, enjoy your bike, looks great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by a-cav
    Ridin' the berm
    Attachment 568669

Makin' the big hoops spin
    Attachment 568670

I am lovin' my stout...great bang for the buck. Only changes (so far) are the fork and the saddle. About my 5th ride after I got the bike I bit it hard and bent one of the dropouts on the stock fork, replaced with a Surly Karate Monkey, lighter and rides nice. Also squashed the rails on the stock saddle, replaced with a fizik nisene sport.

The pics are from Tsali...perfect trails for rigid/ss...tons of fun.

My previous bike was a C'dale F3 Caffeine and I swear this steel frame with low tire pressures is MORE forgiving than that bike with an 80mm headshock.
    What size frame? I'm 5 10 and plan on going with a 15". I have 31" inseem. Think ill have issues with the top tube being to short or foot rub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin84
    What size frame? I'm 5 10 and plan on going with a 15". I have 31" inseem. Think ill have issues with the top tube being to short or foot rub?
    I'm 5'6" and am on the fence between the 15" and 17" frames. The EFF TT is only one half an inch between the two sizes. Stand over height is where I'd be more concerned. 17" = 30.8" and the 15" = 30". (Based on 2011 Geo)

I'd imagine at 31" inseam your boys would be on the TT of the 17" frame.
    Last edited by MyMilkExpired; 11-15-2010 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    hey fryed_1...
    the obvious clue is the rear triangle - no wishbones or looptail...gotta be '08.
    it's a shame se is redoing their site, it used to have catalogs, with all the specs, going back quite a few years that made it pretty easy to identify older se bikes.
    Yeah, after doing some digging it looks like a 2008 frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is the 2011 SE Stout frame and fork fabricated with steel or did they change it to aluminum?

What are the main differences between the 2010 and 2011 Stout?

It looks like you can pick up a 2010 model at a pretty good price, but I can't seem to find online prices for the 2011.

Is it pretty simple to change it to a 1X9?
    Last edited by timberline12k; 11-15-2010 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    speedgoat has the 2011 listed at MSRP of 580.00 but nothing is shipping. I've got a call into a local shop to see if they are actually shipping yet, should know around lunch time today.

At 280.00 I might just get the 15" from JensonUSA and spend the 300.00 I saved on new components to bring the weight down from 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info. I found out the frame and fork are 100% steel which is my preference.

I was checking this bike out for my son, but he is not up for a single speed. I could add a 1X9 and disc brakes and still come out at the same price as the Specialized Hardrock 29er or Trek Talon 29er, but he says he would rather go with a stock bike.
    Last edited by timberline12k; 11-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Well i broke down and snagged an 09. Oddly Jenson called to verify my order and then told me that I had to have the bike built that they would not ship without the build. Even though I specifically requested to have it shipped unbuilt.. WTF?

Why on earth do they give me the option of overnight shipping and NO PROBUILD only to tell me over the phone that they have to build it. Kind of pissed me off. I reiterated to the young lady on the phone that I want it shipped unbuilt. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired
    Well i broke down and snagged an 09. Oddly Jenson called to verify my order and then told me that I had to have the bike built that they would not ship without the build. Even though I specifically requested to have it shipped unbuilt.. WTF?

Why on earth do they give me the option of overnight shipping and NO PROBUILD only to tell me over the phone that they have to build it. Kind of pissed me off. I reiterated to the young lady on the phone that I want it shipped unbuilt. We'll see what happens.
    They supposedly assemble, then unassemble and repackage.

I got mine, with standard shipping, in about 5 days time, to MO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ricot83
    I am 5'9" and that is a 15" frame. If u lol at geo of the bike the 15 and 17 are close I wanted more of a flickable bike so I immediately thought 15" and it worked out, the 17 would be slightly taller and wouldn't require a new seatpost right outta the box like the 15 did.

Oh my inseam is 30

I have the exact same measurements and went with the 15in. It fits perfect. Doesn't feel clunky like when I ride a 17in 9r.

Does anyone else hate the stock tires? I just don't like the feel at all. My 26 FS Trek Fuel has Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (which i absolutely love!). But they don't make them in a 29er. I don't mind weight so much as I do being able to turn really aggressively and still hang on to the edge. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I don't care for the breaks. I guess I'm spoiled on my hayes hydro's but I need to pick up some cheap bb7's soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    fryed_1

What frame specifically is that? It has an integrated headset which I don't see on any of the recent Stout frames...?
    hey fryed_1...

Sorry it is an alum '08.

Just dropped the bomb on some Easton XC One SS wheelset ($375 down from $800 - new). The reviews I've read on them might make them ideal for this build on an alum frame. They appear to be stout, but flexy. Might take some of the rigidness out of an all-alum setup and keep it light too. Still going to shop a carbon fork, but probably not until closer to xmas when everything starts going on sale (hopefully!)

Raceface Evolve DH crank/BB came in today. Couple more small things to get and it'll be ready. Frame is stripped to the bare alum now and if I can't find a place that will anodize it in two different colors by Dec 1, then I'll just bite the bullet and paint it.

I know I didn't *have* to paint it, but I sifted hard through my box of parts and ebay to find similar color-matched components, so might as well and make it look good all in one shot!

Kicker of Elves

I don't understand this either. My brother had the same thing happen to him and when the bike showed up it was disassembled just like the Bikes Direct bikes come. You could tell the package had been opened and repacked so I guess they bolted everything on then took it back apart. The hubs still had to be adjusted as they would barely turn by hand and the brake pads were not adjusted.

mtbr member
    Its a bit disappointing that the website is so disjointed from their actual business practices. I almost got into an argument on the phone with the lady.

In any case, the bikes more likely to get dinged up in shipping after they futz with the packaging... We'll see what happens. It shows up in poor condition after they "assembled" it we are going to have some words lol...

mtbr member
    Its in the mail! Hopefully I'll have it Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Update:

Satin black base and will get satin red accents. Parts so far include:

Ritchie 120mm 6deg stem, flatbar, bar ends and seatpost
    Cane Creek headset
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Avid bb7 discs with SD7 levers
    Raceface Evolve DH 175mm crank arms with RF BB, BBG bashguard and 32T cog
    KMC single speed chain
    16 and 18T cogs
    Easton XC 2 29er wheelset (backordered... have a set of cheapo XT hubs laced to WTB rims craigslist special for $50 to suffice until then)

Hopefully just another week or so and I'll have it on the road!

The orange on in the back is my old '08 GF Tarpon. Rebuilding it for the girlfriend in her favorite color. It's getting an Avid BB7 disk upgrade with disc adapter and an RS tora 302 fork, 1x8 setup with XTR rear derailleur, XT/mavic wheelset and Ritchie/WTB cockpit.

mtbr member
    Im actually working on mine new space bars - proforce levers - ultimate v brakes - profile external bb and cranks, thomson stem and of course oury grips . Pics after its all said and done

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

All dry! Gonna wait on the red accents for a bit to see how this grows on me. Contemplating creating some decals for it as well. Don't really like the ones that are available, so gonna play with some fonts and see if I can do up something I like.

Did 2 coats of black primer, 2 coats of satin black then a clear (which I'll have to fix up a few small spots where it got a little heavy and has too much shine for my tastes).

Also need a BB tool and good luck finding one today!

Maybe a week or so and I'll have it on the road!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Love mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-img_3446-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I too am in love with my Stout. I upgraded to BB7s 185F/160R and Azonic tugs. I do find though that the front wheel has a small alignment problem in the fork dropouts when tightening down the nuts the wheel shifts a bit and causes the front disc to be misaligned. Bit of a pain when I have to fight it after I pull the bike from the roof rack. I might be swapping out to a QR axle for the front.
    Last edited by MyMilkExpired; 12-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Just waiting on a pair of WeirWolfs for the winter

mtbr member
    Just got an e-mail from Jenson with the 2010's being blown out at $275. Showed 17, 19 and 21's being "in stock"

KC Weekend Warrior
    Just got an e-mail from Jenson with the 2010's being blown out at $275. Showed 17, 19 and 21's being "in stock"
    I have had the Stout in my cart at Jenson for a month... JUST PULLED THE TRIGGER!

Now I hope the trails dry out.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    May 2010

Burdy

Burdy and I exploring Moab.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I almost pulled the tirgger on one at 275 but i just pruchased my stout in july and dont really need 2 of the same bike. It is such a fun bike. and the perfect commuter for the city. i can pump out 10 miles on this bike like its nothing and im a big fatty.

mtbr member
    Here's mine with my other ride. I was surprised how much bike you get for the $. I had to adjust the bearings, but I go over bike stuff I get in the mail to be sure. No chips in the paint, either!

Took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood and had alot of fun, the smb8's make a cool sound on the pavement and can take 80 psi. I'm not to sure about the big wheels offroad, though. Seems like it would be tough to ride on twisty-tech trails. Disc brakes in the future, for sure, but the rest of the parts seem fine till I break'em!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SE Stout 29er pics!-stout.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 37