• 10-19-2011
    officersdr
    Post your 29er road/commuting
    I'm looking for anyone that uses your 29er for road riding. I'm starting to do more road riding for weight loss and want to run slicks. I'm curious about what it would look like.

    My current bike: Gary Fisher Marlin 29er
  • 10-19-2011
    ozbikebuddy
    Tyres
    Get yourself some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.

    I have a set of these in 700x52, and the rock! Same puncture liner as a marathon plus and a really fast tread pattern I use there om my SS atm as I use it on weekends as a bike path recovery ride bike (Swap the tyres for dirt). You can run 70-80 PSI and the roll really well.

    I'm going to swap them onto my C'dale Flash to try commuting to work on them they should be gr8 on that bike. And provide another commuting option for me as well. Highly recommend these tyres
  • 10-21-2011
    snajper69
    Get a nashbar brand 700x32cc they are faster and in over 2k I had no flats.

    Nashbar 700x35 Streetwise Road Tire - Normal Shipping Ground

    Before I got a dedicated road bike I used these on my hardtail, lots of good time, and I was even able to keep up.
  • 10-21-2011
    ssdoc
    i use performance brand 700x35c forte for $15 on sale- work great for commuting on road w/ some fireroad use. very few flats until completely worn out.
  • 10-21-2011
    lazymuf
    sorry to jump thread...but any suggestion for slicks if i am running a Velocity P35 rims at 35mm width...
  • 10-21-2011
    bt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    sorry to jump thread...but any suggestion for slicks if i am running a Velocity P35 rims at 35mm width...

    maybe serfa drifters
  • 10-22-2011
    lazymuf
    looking at Big apple from Schawlbe...dunno wanna run 2.0 or 2.35
  • 10-22-2011
    craigsj
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    sorry to jump thread...but any suggestion for slicks if i am running a Velocity P35 rims at 35mm width...

    May sound weird, but I've used Schwalbe Kojak 35's on P35's without issue. They're about 38mm wide on that rim and are very fast for that width tire.
  • 10-22-2011
    snajper69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    looking at Big apple from Schawlbe...dunno wanna run 2.0 or 2.35

    Too big I see no reason why not go with 35mm will be easier on you, unless you are attempting some creazy jumbs.
  • 10-22-2011
    lazymuf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    May sound weird, but I've used Schwalbe Kojak 35's on P35's without issue. They're about 38mm wide on that rim and are very fast for that width tire.

    Awesome...is it wide n big lika ballon kinda tire with own suspension?...coz Iam using it on a sir 9 with the Niner carbon fork....u got any pics?
  • 10-22-2011
    lazymuf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snajper69 View Post
    Too big I see no reason why not go with 35mm will be easier on you, unless you are attempting some creazy jumbs.

    Aight man..thanks for the advice.....but still best is to get a roadie bike for the road....gonna inherit a 2010 cannondale Six Carbon.....scary man riding carbon at my weight 270lbs...
  • 10-22-2011
    craigsj
    3 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    Awesome...is it wide n big lika ballon kinda tire with own suspension?...coz Iam using it on a sir 9 with the Niner carbon fork....u got any pics?

    The tire is very round and roughly 38mm wide. You need to use a cross tube with it. Never tried it tubeless though someone has and reported success. I'd say comfort is more about tire pressure.