possible monstercross build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

possible monstercross build

I inherited this old Scott Laredo bike. I can't find anything about it but it has a 1 1/8" threaded fork, 36-spoked 700 c wheels with Mavic rims, a 3x7 drivetrain (but I have a 8spd cassette), and cantis. I put a lot of work into cleaning up and re-building the wheels. I have a pair of 28c road tires and some 35c cross tires. I would like to make this into mostly a commuter, grocery-getting, fun riding around town kinda bike. I am stumped on the cockpit though. I have flat bars for it now, but I am considering drops or mustache bars. I have some road brake levers that will work and some bar-end shifters. what will make this bike best suited for pavement but not shy away for a little while off-road action?

Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-14-2011 at 09:36 PM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Looks like the start to a great project. Handlebars, like seats, are whatever works for the individual rider. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

trail rat
    Bikes designed around drop bars have shorter top tubes, since the reach to the drops is greater. To compensate here, you will need a stem with very short length. You will likely also want something with more rise. Good new is that Salsa make lots of 40 degree rise stems, and the high rise shortens the reach.

Here is a good resource to help, but you are going to have to experiment to get there. Mustache bars have way more reach too.

Speedub.Nate's Stem Length Calculator

Here is an example of the type stem:

That is a sweet bike, have fun getting it setup for your use.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    put mini v's on it and get rid of those cantis.

Also, have much clearance do the stays have? Both seat and chain.

mtbr member
    since I have a 1 1/8" threaded headset and quill stem, my stem choices might be limited. since I can't find any information on this bike at all, I don't think that stem calculator will help much considering my lack of geometry information. I think I can trade someone some stuff for some Soma Moustache bars and I have some road levers and barcons, so I will just experiment with stem until I find something that works with those. in the meantime, it will probably just get a mtb type cockpit with bar ends.

the canti's are staying. I have never had a problem with stopping power on a get of well-tuned canti's with decent pads. I am trying to keep the bike as close to original as I can. it was made for flat bars so changing the bars is rather drastic, but it should be ok.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Abby Normal
    Nitto makes a 1 1/8" atb quill stem, not very tall though. Profile Designs makes some el cheapo quill stems in that size but they are pretty hi rise and in various lengths, might work.

Also, there are adapters that look like a straight quill (no stem) that you can mount a standard threadless stem on (never used one before). Nitto makes one (presumably as nice as they get).

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    since I have a 1 1/8" threaded headset and quill stem, my stem choices might be limited.
    You just need a quill to threadless adapter, Dimension, Delta, etc. then use any threadless stem

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Abby Normal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Oh... I just PM'ed him to tell him about that auction too, off-thread, and then saw your post. You beat me to it - but you're absolutely right. That's the best stem ever for this project. If it was a 1", it would be up over $150 by now. What are the odds of one being available?!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    geez, that stem would be perfect.

i found some mtb shifters that work for it, old 3x7 Altus levers. I de-gunked the internals and they are quite snappy now. I am going to build it up with flat bars for now, then pursue some Some Moustache bars with barcons. I am under the impression that I will want a taller, shorter stem to accomodate the Moustache bars, but that depends on how the bike fits me already with the flat bars. if the bike is already cramped, perhaps a change of bar style will stretch me out. we'll see. I can at least just raise the quill higher out of the fork in the meantime.

mtbr member
    I posted this in the commuter forum, but I want to explore the trail-riding possibilities of this bike:
    3x8 "road" drivetrain, Soma Mustache bars, Exage levers, Ritchey CX tires, 36h wheels, bar end shifters, spd/platform pedals. about 26 pounds as-is.

rapid rise!

all of this stuff was donated at the bike co-op, except the bars, which I traded for some old cranks that someone needed.

it actually fits me perfectly. coming soon: new seat because that one is ridiculous, and a coworkers is giving me his old Surly Crosscheck fork, so i can go 1 1/8" threadless on it. I think there is room for some 40s on the wheels too.

so a few questions:
    I have some SS cogs, spacers, and a tensioner. what would be a reasonable gear ratio for this as a SS that would handle well climbing some dirt but not be too spinny on the road? I don't mind hopping off and carrying it CX style sometimes on the trails. it has non-ramped 48, 38, and 28 tooth rings up front and I have 16, 18, and 20t cogs.

the wheels on this are old Exage hubs laced to Formula DX 700 "made by Mavic" rims with 36 spokes. the rims are double-walled and seem pretty darn tough. I like to choose durability over weight but are these wheels overkill? I am 140 pounds and I plan to ride mostly pavement on this with a little singletrack and gravel when the occasion arises. I can't resist the option to hop curbs either. I ask because I also have some more road-ish wheels that are probably much lighter that I can use but I am afraid they will not hold up for a long haul: rear Shimano 105 laced to a Sun rim of some sort and a front Suntour Sprint hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro 32-spoke. both are 32-spoke and have narrower rims.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dingle speed it. 1 gear for both road and dirt is always too much of a compromise on either end. 55-70gis or so.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't make a thread here yet as I have not posted before so sorry if I am highjacking this thread. I am looking to get or build up a singlespeed monstercross bike to use off road and around and then try some cx races later with skinnier tires.

Might be able to get a used specialized tricross singlecross (2008) complete for decent deal or there or a used surly crosscheck frame which I could build up (that will most likely end up costing more than the complete tricross).

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions for a budget MX?

The surly is definitely the better looking of the two. Specialized is probably a tad zippier. Both seem to tons of tire clearance which is what I'm looking for.

thanks

mtbr member

Wtb dirt drops

I have wtb dirt drops on my monstercross- the best i believe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice. I was thinking of using that Cinelli Valencia bar flipped down.

For single speed ration that might work for both off and on road. Maybe something around 62 gear inches? I've used that before and you can spin out a bit but you can still move pretty quick.

38-16 would be about 64.5 gear inches. 38-18 would be 57.4. That might be too low for around town.