Please post your Soma Juice- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Please post your Soma Juice

I have one that I am running SS at the moment. Thinking of gearing it up and putting a suss fork on it for some edurance races. Wanted to see some pics of what other people have done with their's single speed or geared!. Mine is now rigid SS and so sweet, but on the long long rides over 8 hrs. the bike does get a little rough haha. I will post a pic of mine when I get off work. Thanks, JC

mtbr member

Enough of the dark side..

Juice

Love my SS Juice.
    Carves up single track and climbs like a goat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2006
    Both bikes above are very sweet!!

-How does that carbon fork feel in the rough stuff. I have a steel fork now and have been wanting to try the carbon fork. JC

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nice bikes

I would love one. I know Soma has had some QC issues in the past with the Juice frame, does anyone know if they've ironed these out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's my new 1x9 suspended Juice. Please expand on the Quality Control issues, this is the first I've heard of any.

- Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

Quality Issue

Quote Originally Posted by soly
    I would love one. I know Soma has had some QC issues in the past with the Juice frame, does anyone know if they've ironed these out?
    Basically, you don't pay much for one of these, they are a bargain, the ride quality is superb, I don't miss my very expensive duallie at all.

The frame isn't as perfectly finished as say a Niner might be but today I raced on it and match my time on the duallie, point to point 25km race and on some pretty rough terrain in places, even though I had to walk a couple of hills becuase of the 2:1 gearing on the SS I still managed a similar time.

My point. Soma Juice is amazing, suspension and gears can be overrated at times...
    b.

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by JC2niner
    I have one that I am running SS at the moment. Thinking of gearing it up and putting a suss fork on it for some edurance races. Wanted to see some pics of what other people have done with their's single speed or geared!. Mine is now rigid SS and so sweet, but on the long long rides over 8 hrs. the bike does get a little rough haha. I will post a pic of mine when I get off work. Thanks, JC
    Hey JC,

Have had mine for a year now and love it. My thread with some pics are here. The only changes I've made since the original build was to swap the saddle for a WTB Deva and the bar to a Syntace Vector Carbon Lo-Rise. Both have been stellar so far.

Even though it's full rigid I've used it in a couple of 8 Hour events as well as few XC races. Some of the rougher courses I got beat up a little but on a whole it's been pretty good. Anything longer would probably best be tackled with a suspension fork. If I was to upgrade any part of the bike it would be fork, brakes and wheels.

As for the quality issues, I've heard of a few (do a search and may find a thread or two) which have mainly been weld related. So far for me I've had no issues but I'm not really hard on equipment. I do inspect the frame every so often and there's nothing to speak of yet.

I love my Soma and it's been a great intro into the 29er world. They are fairly unique in my part of the world (Australia) so it's always an interesting talking point.

Here's another recent pic from an 8 Hour race I went to earlier this year.
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=Scott_in_Jersey]Here's my new 1x9 suspended Juice. Please expand on the Quality Control issues, this is the first I've heard of any.QUOTE]

You could do a search. There have been some complaints regarding the welds and complaints regarding the paint flaking off. Not every Juice owner has experienced these problems. I think it is a hot looking bike at a great bargain.

Jan 2006
    Steve, my Soma looks almost identical to yours except singlespeed. Same fork/frame etc.. I have done some 40 milers on the Juice and do feel a bit beat up, BUT I have recently switched to OURY grips and man what a difference. I don't even know if I could ride a suss fork after riding rigid for so long. I love the handling/steering of the rigid fork.

Thanks to all the pics so far etc. I really appreciate it. JC

mtbr member

my Soma Juice

here she is geared. very nice riding, inexpensive frame .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

my last photo was too small so...

here's a couple of bigger pics. geared and ss.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    The only QC issue I've had with mine was one of the brake line thingys (brazed on pads that run down the seat stays to zip-tie the brake lines to... whatever they're called) had some paint or weld slag behind it and I could not get a zip-tie thru it. Other than that, no issues at all.

On a Tange frame I had the paint-in-cable-guide issue, as well as inadequate welds on the seatstays that led to cracking at the seat tube juncture. It was warrantied.

Others have had similar issues.

My wife has a 631 Juice which had none of the above.

Braze on

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeefer
    The only QC issue I've had with mine was one of the brake line thingys (brazed on pads that run down the seat stays to zip-tie the brake lines to... whatever they're called) had some paint or weld slag behind it and I could not get a zip-tie thru it. Other than that, no issues at all.
    I had this exact issue, Soma couldn't do anything about it, pretty crap really as a zip tie has to go entirely around the seat stay tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just converted my Juice from 1x9 suspended to 3x9 rigid. Changed out the MX bomber for a On-One Superlight and the Pro Taper riser for a Titec H Bar and the single rapidfire for LX dual control levers. Moving to Avid BB7 mechanicals next week with a XT Mavic 719 wheelset.

- Scott

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What size seat collars are people using I have just finished building a frame & cannot find a 29.8mm collar, will a 30mm collar do the job? if so can anyone recommend some brands etc

Quote Originally Posted by aaron01
    What size seat collars are people using I have just finished building a frame & cannot find a 29.8mm collar, will a 30mm collar do the job? if so can anyone recommend some brands etc
    Salsa and Surly have what you need.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    30mm? sizing

mtbr member
    Yes. I went with a 30.0mm Salsa bolt-on.

ADIDAB
    Suprisingly I found that there are not many 30.0mm seat collars around (esp. here in Australia). Salsa make the Lip Lock (their bolt on one) in 30.0mm and it fits/works fine.

Salsa Collar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_N
    Suprisingly I found that there are not many 30.0mm seat collars around (esp. here in Australia). Salsa make the Lip Lock (their bolt on one) in 30.0mm and it fits/works fine.
    I'm using that one too, fits nicely.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ordered my salsa or surly seat collar now just need to wait for it to turn up, I recieved a e-mail from the importer saying a 28.6mm seat collar would fit but this seems like a big difference in size from the 30mm everyone is using.

ADIDAB
    Ordered my salsa or surly seat collar now just need to wait for it to turn up, I recieved a e-mail from the importer saying a 28.6mm seat collar would fit but this seems like a big difference in size from the 30mm everyone is using.
    I bought a 28.6mm thinking it would fit and didn't even come close. 30.0mm is a much better bet...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Late to the party but here's mine:

I picked it up complete on ebay for a song!
    But not being able to leave well enough alone, I replaced everything but the frame, fork, and headset within 10 days with parts off a Salsa w/ a cracked down tube.
    The wheelset I built is old LX Parallax hubs, laced 3 cross to Sun CR 16 rims w DT Revolutions w/ alloy nipples front and left rear, Wheelsmith 2.0-1.7-2.0 w/ brass nipples on the drive-side.
    I was cynical about it, and the whole 29'er thing, but after about a week, I had already beat my training loop course record, and that was on the original wheelset, with a lot of track-standing for traffic on the trails, stopping to top off my front tire, stopping again to loan a guy my pump, and getting stuck behind a FS rider for about a mile and a half.

ADIDAB
    I am quite suprised at the number of Juice's out there that are still using V-brakes! I thought I was being a bit of a retro grouch doing it (it's really due to lack of $$$ though) but it seems I'm not the only one!

mtbr member
    I, with mostly help from a friend, am putting a Juice 29er together.

As many here know, the seatpost size is 27.2. I want to "spec" it out with a gold seatpost clamp. Hope has one sized 31.6 or 31.8mm.

Will either of the 31 mm sizes work or is that too big? The only other size they offer close enough is 28.6 and as I saw earlier in this thread, that was probably not going to be big enough.

All thoughts/comments are appreciated

Thanks!

ADIDAB
    I got a 31.6mm and it was way too big. You will need to go 30.0mm. Salsa do the Lip Lock in 30.0mm in black, silver, blue, green and red. Gold will probably be out I'm afraid...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK finially got the seat collar here it is all built up,
    comments thoughts, maybe look at putting a Kenda small block 8 in a 38c on the rear for the longer 100km events.

ADIDAB
    comments thoughts, maybe look at putting a Kenda small block 8 in a 38c on the rear for the longer 100km events.
    Nice job Aaron! Is that a carbon seatpost and if so, any problems with slipping so far? Depdending on the conditions a SB8 would be a good choice but if you're using the Crossmark (looks like it from the pics) then that will probably suffice...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice job Aaron! Is that a carbon seatpost and if so, any problems with slipping so far? Depdending on the conditions a SB8 would be a good choice but if you're using the Crossmark (looks like it from the pics) then that will probably suffice...

no issues with the seatpost, if there is grease inside the seat tube the carbon slips. as far as tyre choice I think I'll leave it, now I know why the majority use v-brakes

Aug 2006
    Here's mine . . .

mtbr member

What size is that? And how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Salsa 30mm Lip Lock

I am using a Salsa 30mm bolt on too. If you want to save some bucks, Jensonusa.com has a Zion (their house brand frame) bolt on 30mm for $5.99 or QR for $8.99. The Zion bolt on looks like a Surley.
    - Scott

mtbr member
    My Juice

Specs:

Answer Gold handlebars
    IRD fork
    Titanium Avid speed dial levers
    Race Face Turbine cranks
    King Gold headset
    Ergon Grips
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires
    KMZ chain
    32/17
    Avid BB5 front
    Avid rear V-brake
    WTB Dual duty front wheel
    Salsa Delgado rear wheel
    Shimano 525 SPDs
    Thomson seatpost
    Salsa seat collar
    Bontrager stem

My favorite part of the whole thing are the chain ring bolts. I don't know where my friend Norm (who actually did most of the work) found them, but I think they're sweet.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ostream&size=l

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian
    My Juice

Specs:

Answer Gold handlebars
    IRD fork
    Titanium Avid speed dial levers
    Race Face Turbine cranks
    King Gold headset
    Ergon Grips
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires
    KMZ chain
    32/17
    Avid BB5 front
    Avid rear V-brake
    WTB Dual duty front wheel
    Salsa Delgado rear wheel
    Shimano 525 SPDs
    Thomson seatpost
    Salsa seat collar
    Bontrager stem

My favorite part of the whole thing are the chain ring bolts. I don't know where my friend Norm (who actually did most of the work) found them, but I think they're sweet.

That's hot! How do you like that IRD fork?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Haven't been able to really get out on the trails due to the rain here in the Midwest. Will probably be riding at Kettle Moraine on Labor Day.

jdf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    20" soma juice

Oct 2007

my soma juice with a willits WOW fork

i just posted this on the "rigid 29ers" thread, but here's a copy of it for the soma crowd:

here's a picture of my new favorite thing in the world (my son is now one year old, so he's not new for the purposes of this post).

with thanks to Miker J for many of the ingredients, i had the bike built up wes williams at <a href=http://willitsbikes.com/>willits</a>. he was already making and painting the WOW fork for me, so i figured i'd get him to build the bike. it fits great, and it's a blast to ride. the WOW fork is a lot of fun. it's got terrific flex, and takes out just enough of the little jarring bumps in the trail to keep it fun for a long ride.

you'll notice a couple custom bits on the bike that are worth noting: first, Miker J put a custom lexan ring around the freewheel to prevent the chain from jumping in, and my wife and wes thought that the formerly-black bontrager stem clashed against the ti bar and other aluminum colored handlebar stuff, so wes bead-blasted it, but covered up the logo, so you can still see it.

my future additions are to substitute the saddle and to move my clipless pedals over.

mtbr member
    Nice build Shmeefer, did you get the Large frame?? I just ordered the Large in that color, can't wait to build mine! What are your opinions of the bike so far?

mtbr member
    Sweet bike shmeefer, i got the Large with same color but not built yet. Finished product looks great. Are sticking with 3x9 drive? I got the Reynolds 631 Juice version, is this version the better welded one?

mtbr member
    It's an XL and I'm happy with it. I converted to SS for a bit but then I moved from MI to UT and the SS wasn't cutting it in the mountains (heck, geared is still tough!). I'm very happy with the bike, it's tought to beat for the price. I don't think the welds changed with the material, either way I think it looks nice. My only issue is one of the brake line guides on the seat stays was closed off and I couldn't get a zip-tie in it. Other than that, I have zero complaints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just put the finishing touches on it a few days ago. It was rigid for one ride, then I caught a deal for the reba on craigslist. I'll have to say, this is the best bike I have ever owned. Heres the details, or you can just skip to the picture.
    Rims: Salsa Delgado cross
    Hubs: DRM front, XT rear
    Crank: LX
    Brakes: Hayes MX-1 front, Avid 7.0 V rear
    Titec stem and bar, oury grips.

Single-Speed Gangsta
    heres mine guys:

exactly 30 days old

Aug 2005

ouch!

Glad to see no blood/flesh on the broken frame! I can imagine it really hurt to have that happen while riding!

mtbr member
    How did this exactly happen? Did your frame come with the new box gusset version where the bottom tube and headtube meet?

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm New Soma Juice build

Hey guys, I just finished my custom build Juice on Christmas Day no less and took it out for a quick 10 mile ride. This bike just devours large obstacles! I'm gonna test ride this sucker for a month and see how it'll perform. This is my first 29er AND single speed so I'm pretty excited. Looks like I got the newer version frame with new welding on bottom tube/head tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Might want to tighten up that chain a wee bit.

mtbr member
    Yeah I did thx, after i took the pic i did just that. I think i got just the right chain length for the tugnut.

Expert Crasher
    looks good.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLinFaTTies
    heres mine guys:

exactly 30 days old
    Holy Sh** dude, are you alright?! Damn !...

Fill us in on the story... Best of luck...whoa!
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

Single-Speed Gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by b3ksmith
    Holy Sh** dude, are you alright?! Damn !...

Fill us in on the story... Best of luck...whoa!
    im alright luckily. i cut my left forearm w/ the sharp edge (8 stitches) ... i really liked this bike but the tubes are wayyy to thin. it happened rolling over a very simple log, nothing major at all. i was in disbelief. they sent me a new frame. i put it up on ebay, and that was that. but i was very dissappointed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

More

Close ups...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The specs.....

2007/8 Soma Juice Large Frame
    Avid Juicy Seven 160 rotors
    Ritchey WCS Riser(alum)
    Ritchey Pro Stem
    Ritchey WCS Seatpost
    Oury Lock-on Grips
    Truvativ Single Speed Crankset-34
    Eggbeater-SL
    Hope Pro-2 Disc Hubs(32) with single speed conversion spacer kit
    Stans 355
    Little Albert 2.1 (no tubes)
    White Bros Rock Solid
    Chris King HS
    Little over 21lbs

Might change a couple things, get it down under 20. The main change will be the tires for drier conditions like the Crow.

First impressions riding a 29er today for the first time:
    1) The bigger wheels definitely took more energy to get up to speed.
    2) Rolled over rocks and roots nicely.
    3) White Bros fork rode well, very predictable and stable, while not feeling harsh.
    4) I might try a 32 front ring, the 34 was a little tough on the hills and the ride didn't have much in the way of hills. It was muddy and soft with deep leaves as well so that didn't help the rolling resistence.
    5) This is going to be a great winter bike, no gears or suspension to muck up and the disc brakes don't loose any power in the slop.

anyone else smell that?
    i like the silvery color. guess that new gusset there is to help with the problem illustrated in the photos at the top of the page.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Hellz ya

Thought I would resurrect this thread again since Im bored and show my upgraded Juice. No more SS, now its my enduro 27-spd w/ Spinergy's. Not sure how many people actually race with steel anymore but here it is.

ADIDAB
    Seeing as we're showing upgraded Juice's here's mine in a new stealthy black. I've been in a couple of enduro events with it including the DirtWorks 100. I normally use Racing Ralph's for racing and the Maxxis Ignitor's for general trail riding...

At the moment it's set-up in super commuter mode with Schwalbe Marathon's (700x35c), Planet Bike Hardcore fenders and Dinotte 200L lightset being the only changes...

mtbr member
    Thats definitely a nice bike to commute with. You should share this pic w/ Soma Fab!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hope they warranted that frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a severe structural failure and should not have happened. Almost makes me wish they sold this bike in a metal non-painted version so I could do some extra welding for strength then have it powder coated and painted. I could do without the SOMA Decals anyways.

That is just crazy that the welding would snap like that.

Hope you're OK!

ADIDAB
    Not sure Soma would want to show their bikes in a 'non-standard' colour. I know that they've snaffled a couple of pics of BillyMTB's Soma from these very pages and used on their website so they're watching the boards at least.

If they want 'em and they ask, I'll be more than happy to provide them with some hi-res versions...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I got the JUICE

I just built up a medium juice a couple weeks ago and it is the best bike I have ridden so far. I'm riding it SS rigid and love the simplicity and smoothness. This bike rolls over everything and just rails the corners! I hope that with the new frame welds and reinforcements(under the head/down tube) that there won't be anymore issues.
    Last edited by rideyourbike; 08-25-2008 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sizing

Don't mean to hujack this thread....but, I'm thinking of getting a Juice and am unsure what size I'll need as I've never been on a 29er. I'm 5'11" and ride a 19' full suspension bike with 4" of travel and a 56cm road frame. I have a 32" inseam. Any guidance would be very helpful.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm 5'11" too. I ride XL (20in) but mainly because I bought it used. It's a tad big, and I have a 80mm stem on it. I would get the L(18in) if I had to do it again. But I've also ridden bikes way too small for me. I rode a 15in up until that point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey there. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and I ride 19-20" hardtail 26ers. I went with the 18" Soma Juice and it fits well due to the long toptube and increased ride height of the 29er hoops.
    - Scott

ADIDAB
    I have a 32.5" inseam and ride the large and have found it fine for me - I'm only 5'9" though. A large for you should suit fine as well...

Single-Speed Gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels
    I hope they warranted that frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a severe structural failure and should not have happened. Almost makes me wish they sold this bike in a metal non-painted version so I could do some extra welding for strength then have it powder coated and painted. I could do without the SOMA Decals anyways.

That is just crazy that the welding would snap like that.

Hope you're OK!
    Soma actually did warranty the frame . It took them about a month, but they did. No questions asked. Which is more than i can say for Surly. I broke my KM frame in a similar spot on the downtube, and they wouldnt even offer me crash replacement. Even though there was no crash/ collision involved. Heck i didnt even come off the bike. They said the best they could do was offer me a 15% discount. I dont see how this could be the most recommended frame for Clydes when im barely 175 lbs. Whateva take it for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    On an unrelated note, if anyone has a 18in (L) that is too small, I have a 20in (XL) that is too big. It's a total shot in the dark, but if anyone wants to trade frames message here or PM me or something.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking ride, how's that WB fork holding up? Im thinking about slapping one on my red Juice.

r-t
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Fun and responsive during its short tenure

I only rode it a little while, but had a blast.

transmitter~receiver
    Also late to the party.
    Here's mine:

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Soma Size

Hi,
    New guy here,.... first question. I have been looking at the juice to build up from a frame. I have never ridden a 29 and was hoping for some advice on what size to build from.

I am 6'1" and 29 to 30 inseam. I do not have an opportunity to try one or two out first.

Thanks, Woodeye

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeye
    Hi,
    New guy here,.... first question. I have been looking at the juice to build up from a frame. I have never ridden a 29 and was hoping for some advice on what size to build from.

I am 6'1" and 29 to 30 inseam. I do not have an opportunity to try one or two out first.

Thanks, Woodeye
    Checking the website Woodeye I'd say you'd be looking at a M, just to get the clearance for the lads. At 6'1" and having a 30" inseam would suggest a longer torso and shorter limbs so an M might be the best bet. You may need to go for a set back seatpost and longer stem if you want to stretch out as the TT is effectively a shade under 22.7". Mind you, if you don't mind the lads brushing the TT, then an L might be the ticket...

Soma geometry details

mtbr member
    Great bikes. I have a chance to snag a XT cranked, Avid 7 braked Soma Juice at my shop for $600. I am thinking about a fork. Soma specs a 80mm fork for the bike, I see most setup for a 100mm fork. I will be running this as XC/trail bike. No drops. Any suggestion?? Thanks for the thread. I have run Soma road bikes, this looks like a great 29er...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yowsers! What kind of a "bump" did it take to do that kind of damage?

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECnical
    Great bikes. I have a chance to snag a XT cranked, Avid 7 braked Soma Juice at my shop for $600. I am thinking about a fork. Soma specs a 80mm fork for the bike, I see most setup for a 100mm fork. I will be running this as XC/trail bike. No drops. Any suggestion?? Thanks for the thread. I have run Soma road bikes, this looks like a great 29er...
    The Juice is more 'old skool' than newer designs and is only designed around an 80mm fork. The steering is a little slower than most, esp if you use forks with an 'older' offset of 38mm. I had a carbon On-One fork which was 46mm IIRC and that certainly helped speed up the steering. If you're using a 100mm fork, maybe look for GF G2 offset fork so it doesn't steer like a barge.

Those better versed in trail, fork offsets and head tube angles feel free to chime in...

mtbr member
    Lovin mine, in fact I just put my Santa Cruz Blur LT up for sale because I don't ride it anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get the 18" Juice

I am 6' with a 32 inseam and I ride a 19" FS 100mm travel bike and the 18" Soma fits me very well. I have old style Juice in midnight silver and haven't exerienced any issues with the welds (knock on wood). I believe mine is the Tange Prestige version.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    Don't mean to hujack this thread....but, I'm thinking of getting a Juice and am unsure what size I'll need as I've never been on a 29er. I'm 5'11" and ride a 19' full suspension bike with 4" of travel and a 56cm road frame. I have a 32" inseam. Any guidance would be very helpful.
    Thanks
    - Scott

mtbr member
    Please keep you eyes open for THIS ONE

Stolen 11/29. Please try to help bring little Timmy's bike back before Christmas
    Reward for info. No questions asked if returned.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member

The Juice...

The Juice is more 'old skool' than newer designs and is only designed around an 80mm fork. The steering is a little slower than most, esp if you use forks with an 'older' offset of 38mm. I had a carbon On-One fork which was 46mm IIRC and that certainly helped speed up the steering. If you're using a 100mm fork, maybe look for GF G2 offset fork so it doesn't steer like a barge.

Those better versed in trail, fork offsets and head tube angles feel free to chime in...
    has a 72 deg HA, nothing slow about that even with a 38mm offset fork.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

since replaced the IRD fork with a Salsa. Much nicer ride...
    Last edited by bmike; 12-21-2010 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yes they had an old frame made of reynolds steel with no gusset at the steerer tube but now they changed the frame to tange steel with the gusset so i guess they are fine now. I rode a friends and they are an amazing frame for the money!

shut up legs
    I just recently found a lightly used 2005 frame for sale locally and wanted to know if anybody thought SOMA would warranty the frame if I snapped it...they are asking $150 and it was lightly used by a 65 yo man doing mostly CC

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK
    I just recently found a lightly used 2005 frame for sale locally and wanted to know if anybody thought SOMA would warranty the frame if I snapped it...they are asking $150 and it was lightly used by a 65 yo man doing mostly CC
    not likely
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

shut up legs

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    not likely
    I may weld some reinforcement in the same way SOMA did with the newer models if I pick it up...don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems this is the most appropriate place without starting a new thread...carry on...I'll start a new thread...great scoots and i hope to build mine up this winter for short track season
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK
    I may weld some reinforcement in the same way SOMA did with the newer models if I pick it up...don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems this is the most appropriate place without starting a new thread...carry on...I'll start a new thread...great scoots and i hope to build mine up this winter for short track season
    Buy it, ride it and be happy. Don't mess around with trying to weld gussets or anything on it. It'll be fine.

shut up legs
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Buy it, ride it and be happy. Don't mess around with trying to weld gussets or anything on it. It'll be fine.
    just about have everything for the build...tossing up getting it powders the same color as the new green....just got done the Major Jake build
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

Axles of Evil
    here's my newest Juice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please post your Soma Juice-rsz_1bike_011.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1