Please help me figure out my first bike, there are soo many to choose from! Newb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Please help me figure out my first bike, there are soo many to choose from! Newb

New member here who needs some guidance. I ride motocross and one of my riding buddies gave me a medium frame, older Specialized Stumpjumper w/ 27.5 wheels to borrow to see if I like mtb. Well, after a grade 3 shoulder separation I may as well keep going!

I am 41 yrs old, 6'1" and weigh 195 lbs. The stump jumper was definitely too small for me. I found it very uncomfortable after an hour on my upper back, so think I want a bike that sits more upright or one that just fits me better....not sure. I've been trying to research all the options and am blown away. Some of the bikes I'm looking at are the Kona Process 111, Transition Smuggler, Scott Spark, Scott Genius & Commencal Meta V4 AM. Will be buying used.

I'm after a fun, full suspension bike with the ability to give me good uphill pedaling (seems to be my weakest point), something solid and not twitchy. The riding I do is in Pennsylvania, not too rough besides roots some jumps & once in a while some bigger parks.
    HELP

jcd's best friend
    Yeah, a medium is too small for you. What is your budget?
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'd say around $2000 for a used bike, less would even better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would go 111.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So I've been doing a lot more research and am now trying to decide between these two bikes.... 2017 Evil The Following or Ibis Ripley LS. My budget would obviously have to be raised but have found a local low mileage Following for $3200.

From what I read, Following V1 is better descending while the Ripley LS is better ascending. I don't know if these are too much bike for my area or not, relatively mundane trails but would be hitting chunkier stuff occasionally.

Thoughts about these bikes for my situation?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Actually, I think I will scratch the Ripley. It's out of my price range even used.

I think I may pull the trigger on a low mileage Following. Just hoping its a decent climber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would still go for the 111. I have a Ripley, and there are not many persons i would recommend that bike to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for your input. What do you find you like a lot about the 111? Have you ever ridden the Following, any thoughts on that bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The geo of the 111 is more up to date than most bikes made today. It was way ahead of its time, especially for a NA bike. It is probably the most modern bike you can buy at a bargain price for many years to come. Of course, if you want a short bike then look at the other bikes you have on your shortlist. All of them are probably super bikes. I have not tried the following. It is prob a good bike also, but there are a lot of good bikes you can get for cheaper.
    Buying a bike is not necessarily about buying the best bike, it's about buying the bike you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Well said Doc! I've been looking around quite a bit and your right, there are some bargains to be had on the 111. I kept coming across rave reviews of the following and then one popped up, barely used for $3100 locally. So wasn't sure if that would be the bike I want or not. But, It sure looks like the bike I'd want!

Between my schedule, the rain and recovering from an ACL/menisci surgery....I don't foresee any demo days but want to be ready to start hitting the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    I would still go for the 111. I have a Ripley, and there are not many persons i would recommend that bike to.
    Out of curiousity, why wouldn't you recommend the Ripley to people? I've been considering one. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agdenver View Post
    Out of curiousity, why wouldn't you recommend the Ripley to people? I've been considering one. Thanks!
    I would not recommend it to many. But sure, there are some that probably would fit the Ripley better than many other bikes.

The ripley does not feel like a modern bike. It is very short, even by not so modern bikes standards. It has a slack seat tube angle, and it has a long seat tube for any given size. This is a bike you should always size up on, and the long seat tube problem gets even worse if you do that. There are also other problems like that the rear is not very stiff, but many bikes suffer from these problems, and it is not a problem for everyone and something you learn to live with. So that is something i do not hold against the ripley. But the geo problems is hard to overcome. In my opinion, modern geo is far far superior to the once trick suspension that the ripley has, and without the suspension the ripley has not much going for it imo. If you put the high premium on a ripley on top, i can not recommend it to many ppl except the few that would fit this bike and have the money to waste.

Misunderstand me right the ripley was a great bike back in the days, and it still is a good bike by most standards. But bike geo has come a long way since the first ripley, and the updated ripleys havent. Also you would be hard pressed to find a bike today with bad suspension, that makes the not so good things on the ripley stand out even more.

If you are a person that fits the ripley, or you like the short geo and long seat tube or dont use a dropper, then you probably will not find a much better bike. Also if you have some sort of brand loyalty for Ibis then it is hard to argue against the ripley. For everyone else I would recommend looking elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you, that's great feedback!