Please help me choose my first 29er - best bang for buck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Need help choosing a 29er

Hey everyone, this is my post in the 29er forums. I've caught the 29er bug, and want one badly. I was also thinking SS. I was trying to turn my old rockhopper into a SS, but ended up with gearing issues for what I wanted it for. 42T front w/ 16T rear. (for my 11mile commute, each way) I've currently got a couple custom chainrings on order for that though.

Ok, on to my dilema. I've found a few bikes I'm interested in, and these would be more for offroading, so here are the choices.
    -origin 8 Scout 29er (but aluminum sadly), $375.00 (new, but old model, and I believe it has the 68mm bb, not the 73mm)
    -2007 Raleigh XXIX 29er (steel) $600 (used, but hardly ridden and looks practically new w/ a couple upgraded components, but mostly stock)
    -2008 Redline D460 29er (steel) $600.00 (used, and not SS, but custom build & all components are upgraded nicely)
    -2008 Redline Monocog 29er (steel) $600.00 (used, but custom build with good components, and a tora 318 fork)

So if it was you, knowing what you know, or have heard about these bikes, which would you go for, and/or stay away from.

Thanks!
    Last edited by torrell77; 09-19-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Rider
    craigslist link deleted by mod. you know better.
    Last edited by Vecsus; 09-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    a little out of my price range, and a little too large, but thanks. (I'm 5'9", but with really long legs and a short torso.)

Rider
    Central PA is also a long way from Cali.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

bike rider
    The Orgin 8 or the Motobecane Outcast are about the same price but the Orgin has discs and the Outcast has v-brakes. I have friends with both and they are really happy.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why not just get a new redline monocog? There is dealer in the mtbr calssifieds that has new ones for $450

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, the outcast is an aluminum frame...so are you saying I should go with the cheaper aluminum frame, such as the origin-8, saving some dough in the process? How does the aluminum compare to steel in the ride?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I did look in the classifieds but never saw any new monocogs...I'll look again though. Yeah, I almost had a redline flight on ebay yesterday, but it got away from me sadly in the last few seconds. It was nice, fully upgraded components and wheelset, and only $670.00 I was sad I didn't win it..damn slow crappy internet connection!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look here http://www.bicycledoctorusa.com/

In the left hand scroll bar click redline bikes. There selling for $439

I have no affiliation with them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks dropout33, that's a good price. I'm going to give them a call to find out about shipping it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yep no problem. I have one and was thinking of picking up another to turn into a street only 29er. I might just pick up a frame from them and go that route.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock
    Th...the Outcast has v-brakes....
    the new version has a Dart fork and disc brakes for $500, the frame has slider dropouts:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, so it looks like it's coming down to these two bikes here:

2009 Redline Monocog 29er (chromoly frame, v-brakes, and rigid fork) for $510.00 shipped
    or
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er (aluminum frame, disc brakes, and dart3 w/ lockout suspension fork) for $500.00 shipped

This is tough, but I'm sure I'd be happy with either....I'm sort of thinking maybe the Outcast as it comes with a 42T chainring which would be nice for some commuting, assuming I swap out the tires or get another wheelset, (but I've heard steel is the way to go).

Any more advice from those who've owned these or know someone who has?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input

mtbr member
    I own a monocog (flight) and like it quite well. Also in all my reading on this forum the overwhelming opinion of monocog owners is positive. As far a V vs Disc, in my opinion v brakes are better than low end discs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For the road, go for steel. Steel loses its advantage as tires get fatter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Haro Ally?

Well I have 4, 29ers. All Steel. 2x GT Peace 9r's, and Inbred 29, anda KHS Tucson. I'm curently paying off a Haro Ally.

Why? You may all ask?

Well Cheap, cheerful, Lots of upgrade potential, (I have some sweet new bits to hang off the frame) And an EBB/disc which I like over horizontal dropouts/discs. I have had to make to tough choice due to $$$, a Wedding and alike. The Haro also had the best geometry to suit my body shape. The Inbred was by far the nice of all the bikes, Just that the frame size was too short in the TT for me, and I could not afford to get the bigget frame.

That's why I went for the Ally, and the fact I'm getting an absolute killer deal on an '08 model brand new, just seemed the best and most ecconomical option.
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just buy a new rear cog for the Redline. It only should cost you $8 bucks or so. personally prefer v-brakes over discs. Just upgrade the pads to some Kool stop mtb pads and your doing better than great. Redline is a great company and I know you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, the aluminum motobecane's are out of the picture.

It comes down to only two bikes now. A 2009 Redline Monocog for 510 shipped, and a 2007 Raleigh XXIX (in mint condition/practically new) for possibly $550 shipped. (the seller is asking $640 shipped, but waiting to see if he'll accept my offer of $550.)

The difference between the two bikes, is that the Raleigh has BB5 disc brakes, a monkeylite bar, XTR m-970 pedals, a Thompson masterpiece seatpost. It also has an eccentric bottom bracket....not sure if this is a plus or negative though. (Also the Raleigh is not suspension corrected, but I don't really care about this as I would have no plans to put a front shock on there anyhow.)

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just came across this article on twentynineinches
    http://twentynineinches.com/2007/02/...t-400mm-posts/

Apparently the large frame would be a good fit for me, as I'm 5'9"-5'10" with tall legs and a short torso. I recently measured myself based on recommendations for road bikes, by placing a stick against the pelvic bone while standing against the wall with feet about 6" apart, and measured three times. Based on that my inseam was 33 1/2" The Raleigh is a large. I looked at Raleigh's website, but the geometry couldn't be found, and if I'm not mistaken it's changed over the years. (I like to stretch out my legs too, especially on the road, so I am under the assumption that this would be a good fit, and of course the seller does as well. lol)

What do you guys think?

Apr 2007
    Between the two, I'd say Monocog. I'm not sold on EBB, and like the simplicity of the track ends on the Monocog. If the Raleigh had track ends or sliders, I'd say go for that, but all the complaints of the creaks and breaks steer me away. The stock v's work great, but you can upgrade to discs for cheap. I've seen some for $40 for the complete set (used).

And Im about 5'11" and ride a large Monocog.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks p_nut

Anybody else want to chime in?

mtbr member
    I have to throw the Raleigh XXIX into the ring. It was my first 29" SS bike and I LOVE it. I'm only getting rid of it to build up its Lynskey twin. Here's a great review:

http://www.dirtrag.com/print/article...egory=web_only

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, something else just came up...I found a shop out of state that will sell me either a new 2009 17" or 19" Monocog Flight 29er for $700 shipped. They've only got one of each. Should I go for this bike instead of all the others? It's a little bit more than I was planning on spending, but it's got better wheels, parts, and lighter weight right? I need to decide soon, as I think the guy with the 2007 19" Raleigh XXIX is willing to sell to me for $575 shipped.
    Also, I checked out the last 19" standard Monocog 29er at the LBS today and stood over the top tube and the top tube was nearly touching the family jewels. yikes...(although wearing boxers, but still.) It's my understanding that the geometry is slightly different with the flight, but regardless of that, does it sound like a 17" Flight would fit me better than a 19" Flight? I'd hate to order the wrong one and have to ship it back, and by that time I'm sure the other would be long gone.

So should I get a Flight? and if so, 17" or 19"?
    Again, I'm 5'9"-5'10" and measured my inseam (to pelvic bone) as 33 to 33 1/2" inches.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    nobody?

Ok, well does anybody know the effective top tube of the 17" monocog flight, and the 19" monocog flight? Or does anybody know if redline's spec sheet for their bikes are measuring the top tube on a horizontal plane to the seat stem, or on the diagonal to where the joints meet? The spec sheets say "top tube" (not ett or effective top tube) but the diagram shows an arrow running horizontal, not slanted diagonally, so I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Hey...

Had my ebay 17" Flight for 10 days now and absolutely love it (note: this is my first SS, HT, 29 and steel so have no experience for comparison...but i did just put my FS 26r on Craigs)...

My inseam is 33, i'm 5' 9" and my nuts rest on the top tube just standing there...19 would be too high....

Very very comfortable on today's nasty ride using wiiiiiide Fleegle bars - great torque!! Bike responds much better that i expected in the rough for a hardtail...might be the steel

+1 flight

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks jsord.
    How much did you pay for the flight? I guess everyone's trying to get rid of the 09's right now to make room for the new.

mtbr member
    700 for a 'barely' used 08 with Reba fork and Juicy brakes...

lame color but who cares...couple layers of grime it'll look just fine

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Damn, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Thanks for the info jsord. That helps a lot.
    I think I'm going to pass on the EBB Raleigh...I just can't stop thinking about that thing slipping while out riding and having to constantly re-tighten. I guess I'm going to go with the 17" flight. The only thing bad I've heard about those are a few of the older model frames coming apart at the welds, but it should be covered under warranty since bought new (if that ever happened), and if the stem is too small I suppose I can always buy a longer stem.

Are all the mtbr 29er peeps out riding this weekend, or perhaps nobody own flights? I feel like I'm in the wrong forum or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cant help you with the flight. Mine is non flight. The specs are on the Redline website. Imho I dont think the flight is worth the extra dough. Your always gonna want to upgrade in the future so cheapest entry price is important for me. Plus my monocog is holding up real well and I ride hard. Only upgrade I did is the bars and the brake pads so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torrell77
    Are all the mtbr 29er peeps out riding this weekend, or perhaps nobody own flights? I feel like I'm in the wrong forum or something.
    most of the flight lovers are in the SS forum

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So, what did you decide on?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, I sort of got a bit discouraged and thought maybe I was rushing into it...I've been trying to read up on the Raleigh's ebb and not finding anything solid...also been reading about cracked Monocog Flight frames, etc. So I'm now thinking maybe just wait until Motobecane comes out with a complete steel 29er for 350.00, or go with a regular Monocog as these appear to be solid...but my LBS is quite the rip off and their sale price is $550 + tax! So I'm thinking of just waiting till I see something come up on my local craigs for cheap...but that's kinda rare. I guess my big concern about buying online is that I'm going to spend more than I should on something that may not fit, or have cheap or worn out components/bearings/hubs that need replacing. I know to some this may sound ridiculous but I'm a broke college student with 17 unit load, a 20 hour p/t job that pays beans, and can't afford to make the wrong decision here as I don't have the time or money for any mistakes or upgrades.
    As far as size goes, I tried out a 19" Monocog at the shop and it felt ok, but I was a little bit concerned about how high the top tube is, so I guess I'd probably be best on a 17" with a super long seat post/stem or whatever it's called.
    Yes, I'm broke, broke, broke, but yet I still managed to save up enough for a bike & I'm looking forward to getting off the bus schedule and just riding problem free. And yes, I've considered a cheap road bike, but it's not my style. I like to hop curbs, and hit every dirt jump I can find along the way. I was going to go with the 17" monocog flight, but I called up my local redline dealers and they basically said that they wouldn't or would give me problems and may not accept it if I tried to bring in a redline not purchased at their shop for a warranty issue, so I'm not going to buy a bike from out of state and then hope that the local redline dealer works with me if something was to go wrong...I'm starting to dislike the LBS's...their prices are sky high, and service is horrible. So I'm currently just waiting till my gut tells me something, and currently my gut is telling me to go with a used 17" steel monocog, complete, hardly ridden...and if necessary buy a longer seat post (that is if I can find one) or wait till someone else (motobecane) comes out with a cheap steel with good hubs, and decent solid parts...but I doubt it. Seems like they always skimp on something forcing you to upgrade right away, at least from what I've read about them (bent seat posts/handle bars, crap bearings, headsets/bb/hubs, etc). Am I crazy or what? lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would be all over that 17" $700 flight. In fact, if you dont get it, let me know the shop and I will call and grab it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I say order the Monocog from the dealer I gave you and call it a day. The chances are real slim that you will need warranty work and if you do just go through Redline anyway.
    I'm 5'11" and ride a 19 inch.

Sep 2009

vote for 8 Scout 29er

vote for 8 Scout 29er

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torrell77
    Ok, so it looks like it's coming down to these two bikes here:

2009 Redline Monocog 29er (chromoly frame, v-brakes, and rigid fork) for $510.00 shipped
    or
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er (aluminum frame, disc brakes, and dart3 w/ lockout suspension fork) for $500.00 shipped

This is tough, but I'm sure I'd be happy with either....I'm sort of thinking maybe the Outcast as it comes with a 42T chainring which would be nice for some commuting, assuming I swap out the tires or get another wheelset, (but I've heard steel is the way to go).

Any more advice from those who've owned these or know someone who has?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input
    I had a similar choice, either the:

2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er for $500 vs Redline D440 (stock bike is $450. To add Avid BB-5's would be another $60 or BB-7's $90) at a LBS.

Eventually I went with the Diamondback Overdrive 29er 2009 for less than $500 (they had a one day sale) at Performance Bicycle in Philly. I just picked it up a week ago and very happy with it. it's my first bike in 15+ years

Members who have read this thread: 0