Playful All-Mountain/Enduro styled 29er FS frame!?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013

Playful All-Mountain/Enduro styled 29er FS frame!?

So I have to admit I am sold on 29er trail/enduro/all-mountain bikes. I have had a ton of fun on my current Remedy 29er. I am not sure if I am just getting a little bored with my bike, or if it is really time to step up. I want a bike that it a little more playful. What I mean by that, is I like to take last minute sketchy hucks, drops, and rapid line changes. I ride my bike at the bike part some times, and I really enjoy riding super technical single track. My other requirement is that my bike is aluminum framed. I have my reasons, but it is a requirement. I have been looking around, but it seems tough to buy a 140-150mm travel bike with a slacker (65-66.5)head tube in aluminum and 420-435mm chain stays. The Specialized Enduro 29er falls into this category but is NOT available in a frame only aly purchase (I want to bring my fork, dropper, and wheelset to my new frame) Anyone have any ideas on a frame... or should I just keep my Remedy because it will be at least as playful as other AM 29ers out there. I am just looking for some feedback before I do a thing. Playful All-Mountain/Enduro styled 29er FS frame!?-10408087_10104688159902005_3625358899195066649_n.jpg
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX

mtbr member
    Check out the Canfield riot. 140mm all around and slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Unfortunately most all NEW bikes that would tick those marks for you are being built in a 27.5 wheel frameset.
    The Following by EVIL might fit what you are looking for.
    Transition Smuggler
    Intense Carbine 29

And really that is all I can think of that would hit your mark of 68.5 or slacker head angle..

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Check out the on one codeine. On-One Codeine Frameset | Planet X

This place needs an enema

mtbr member

Playful All-Mountain/Enduro styled 29er FS frame!?

PM sent.

Playful All-Mountain/Enduro styled 29er FS frame!?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434136251.577929.jpg
    Last edited by kragu; 06-12-2015 at 12:10 PM.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Check out the Canfield riot. 140mm all around and slack.

That looks like a fun bike........

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    When I rode a 29er Remedy I found it to be very planted and not really fun, about the complete opposite of the 650b Remedy I rode which was fun and playful. I know the specs don't show it, but I find my Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (I have a carbon but it is available in aluminum) to be way more playful and fun and rides just as planted as the 29er Remedy through burly and downhill stuff. Had I decided on a 650b FS bike, the Remedy was at the top of my list, but I did not like it in a 29er at all (much preferred the Fuel EX).

I guess what I'm saying is don't always let geometry numbers sway your decision, because I did not expect the Tallboy LT to be as confident to ride as it rides way more slack than the numbers show and rides way more nimble than the chainstay length shows. This is why demos go a long way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Remedy almost defines playful 29ers. Maybe you're just bored, looking for a new toy, and IMO that is fine, more power to you.

Gotta agree with Mikesee, if you want more play, look really hard at the Lunchbox.

The Evil also looks really interesting, if you're not in a hurry. Given their past quality problems, I'd like to see a year of solid frame quality before buying into that.

We GOTTA find a word to replace "playful" for 2016. Most overused, ill-defined term ever in mtb.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post
    When I rode a 29er Remedy I found it to be very planted and not really fun, about the complete opposite of the 650b Remedy I rode which was fun and playful. I know the specs don't show it, but I find my Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (I have a carbon but it is available in aluminum) to be way more playful and fun and rides just as planted as the 29er Remedy through burly and downhill stuff. Had I decided on a 650b FS bike, the Remedy was at the top of my list, but I did not like it in a 29er at all (much preferred the Fuel EX).

I guess what I'm saying is don't always let geometry numbers sway your decision, because I did not expect the Tallboy LT to be as confident to ride as it rides way more slack than the numbers show and rides way more nimble than the chainstay length shows. This is why demos go a long way.
    What?????? I have owned a carbon Talllboy LT, Evil Following, Specalized Enduro 29 and and I currently ride a remedy 9.8 29er and the LT was hands down the biggest pig of the bunch. Steep head angle, long chain stays didn't make it anywhere near as fun as the other bikes. In the air that bike was like flying an Airbus 380. The remedy kicks its ass on so many levels I don't know where to start. The remedy climbs as well or better than the LT, it kills it on the downs with its 67.5 degree headangle. It's gobbles up chunked so much better and on braking bumps their is no comparison. The e29 descends really well also, but doesn't climb quite as well as the Remedy. Of all the bikes I listed I would put the LT in last place, that thing is like driving a Mack truck. My experience is 180 degrees apart from yours..........

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That evil following is fun as hell. Also take a look at the transition smuggler. If you need longer travel look at the remedy 9.8, e29, lunchbox, etc.

Yeti will launch a long travel 29er this fall with the switch infinity system. Problem with the 9.8 is you can't buy just a frame.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    You could buy a lower level Enduro and swap parts between that and your current bike.
    I ride a Devinci Atlas,doesn't check off all your boxes but it's a pretty fun ride.

mtbr member
    I ride a Banshee Prime and i love it, only other fully 29er I've owned is an older niner rip9, and the prime is a lot more fun than the rip.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would try to test ride some xc bikes with an adjustable headset as long as your not bomBing drops.

mtbr member
    Xc frames and geometry suck!! Get a proper frame and beat the hell out it!!

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I appreciate all of the feedback! I having a rough time selling the bike as it sits, and after talking to a lot of locals and bike shops I find myself leaning towards the On One Codeine. It seems to be the right amount of play with 5mm shorter stays than my Remedy and a frame geometry that lends itself more towards my riding style. I really wish I could ride one though!!
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    I appreciate all of the feedback! I having a rough time selling the bike as it sits, and after talking to a lot of locals and bike shops I find myself leaning towards the On One Codeine. It seems to be the right amount of play with 5mm shorter stays than my Remedy and a frame geometry that lends itself more towards my riding style. I really wish I could ride one though!!
    Yikes, the On One forum is pretty much completely dead (especially related to posts about the 29er codeine). Read the posts about the warranty, very hit or miss. The frames are dirt cheap, probably for a reason. 5mm shorter chainstay for a possible headache down the road does not seem too enticing IMO.

I have no first hand experience with On One, but if I were you I'd keep the remedy before ever buying a codeine.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If the Codeine is your choice, you should keep the Remedy. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Is this a current model year Remedy 29? 2014-15 with Re Activ suspension and Boost rear end? If so, this is the most playful, fun longer travel 29er I have ridden. I was surprised at how nimble it felt in tighter confines, how well it climbed, and how un-29er it felt in many situations. I do agree though that it felt a bit sluggish while trying to pop over small lips and jumps in the trail.

Pretty dang good bike IMO. (Disclaimer: I have not ridden the Lunchbox, the Riot, or the Following which would be at the top of my list for what you describe because of the short chainstays and new-school cool geometry).

Oh, the other one that fits this category but in a shorter travel package is the Kona Process. Add some 27+ wheels on there with some big 2.8-3.0" tires and it's almost like having an extra inch of travel yet still fun kinda playful.

Here's a Process 111 on pinkbike classifieds. Not mine but it's a friend's and I've ridden. Ton of fun.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-17-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    My Remedy is a 2014 7 model. I blew up the factory Fox rear shock... upgraded to the Debonair. I would carry as many parts as possible to the new frame.

2015 Rockshox Pike RCT3 150mm (freshly serviced)
    2015 Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair (upgraded over factory fox)
    Spank Subrosa EVO Wheels (30mm width)
    DT Swiss 350 hubs
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5in (DH Casing)
    Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.35 (EXO Casing)
    Blackspire Trail X chain guide
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth 150mm dropper post
    Chromag Lynx Saddle
    Raceface Turbine 285mm handlebars (green)
    Spank Ooozy 60mm stem
    Shimano Deore Cranks
    Shimano Deore Brakes
    Shimano XT rotors with semi-metallic pads (newish)
    SRAM X9 Type II Medium Cage Rear Derailleur (a few scratches)
    SRAM X9 Shifter
    SRAM PG1050 Cassette w/ one up 42T cog
    SRAM 1051 chain
    Raceface 32t Narrow Wide Front Chain Ring (black)
    Canecreek 40 series headset
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX