pivot trail429 vs. scalpal se2 vs. orbea occam tr- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2019

pivot trail429 vs. scalpal se2 vs. orbea occam tr

hello
    I am looking for a full suspention 29er for non competative cross country.
    I am locking for a comfotable sitting position.
    I do not ride fast. i do not have air time, and do not jump high drops (yet I do not want a 100mm bike). i live in israel. we have many different landscapes in a very small counrty, so im loking for a bike that will be comfotable on fun forest single tracks, as well as rocky desert terain, and on long distant soft 4X4 dirt road. a bike that will take me throgh a half day of light playing around, and will be comfortable for a 3 day bikepacking trip.
    the pivot trail 429, scalpal se2 and the orbea occam are 3 options that looks appealing to me and are available in my bike shop.
    im looking for a "do it all bike" on the mellow side of riding.
    thank you.

WillWorkForTrail
    All good bikes. It sounds like what you need to do is go test ride each of these to see what is most comfortable to you, because that will be all personal preference. I think if you find any of these comfortable you cannot make a bad choice.

banned
    Apr 2019
    thanks. the problem is that I can't test them all

Elitest thrill junkie
    And to add to that, unless you can test in the exact size and spec and have about a week to dial in the suspension settings and ride it in different terrain, it's still a shot in the dark in my experience. The "test ride em" line is fairly unrealistic for many situations, unless you happen to live in a very large city situated next to great terrain where there's an abundance of bike shops and companies.

I've had good experiences with Pivot and their customer service. Their design pedals amazing and sucks up bumps really well too. This is one of the criteria for me, that it must pedal well on it's own without lockouts and trail enhancements that make the suspension harsh. The "trail" ends up significantly heavier than my "sl", but it can be built up pretty light if you buy the frame only and build it yourself, which is now an option again with pivot finally. For a while they'd only sell you a complete bike with the super-boost hub standard, but for me, I'm the opposite, I never buy a complete bike because I want to build it up exactly how I want and not end up with a bunch of extra parts. The super-boost thing is of no interest to me, I find plus size tires only slow me down, but if I was shopping for a new frame I'd be open minded. If you already have a set if nice 29er 142 wheels, it makes super-boost out of the question without new hubs, but I am running adapters that allow me to run the wheels in the boost frame.

I think you are right on target with these bikes and their travel numbers/intended purpose. Great non-competitive XC bikes to rule a lot of terrain and keep it light.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Pivot trail 429 is a very versatile bike. Id recommend it over the scalpel, which is more race oriented.
    My name is George. Im unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

banned
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And to add to that, unless you can test in the exact size and spec and have about a week to dial in the suspension settings and ride it in different terrain, it's still a shot in the dark in my experience. The "test ride em" line is fairly unrealistic for many situations, unless you happen to live in a very large city situated next to great terrain where there's an abundance of bike shops and companies.

I've had good experiences with Pivot and their customer service. Their design pedals amazing and sucks up bumps really well too. This is one of the criteria for me, that it must pedal well on it's own without lockouts and trail enhancements that make the suspension harsh. The "trail" ends up significantly heavier than my "sl", but it can be built up pretty light if you buy the frame only and build it yourself, which is now an option again with pivot finally. For a while they'd only sell you a complete bike with the super-boost hub standard, but for me, I'm the opposite, I never buy a complete bike because I want to build it up exactly how I want and not end up with a bunch of extra parts. The super-boost thing is of no interest to me, I find plus size tires only slow me down, but if I was shopping for a new frame I'd be open minded. If you already have a set if nice 29er 142 wheels, it makes super-boost out of the question without new hubs, but I am running adapters that allow me to run the wheels in the boost frame.

I think you are right on target with these bikes and their travel numbers/intended purpose. Great non-competitive XC bikes to rule a lot of terrain and keep it light.
    there is no option for me at the moment to buy frame only. I need to buy a kit. are the weight differences that significant between these 3 models?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by boaziko View Post
    there is no option for me at the moment to buy frame only. I need to buy a kit. are the weight differences that significant between these 3 models?
    The pivot one isn't especially light, due to the spec that Pivot uses, can read more about it in the pivot forum. If it were me, I'd run a 120mm fox 34 SC with a crown-spacer to lift it an additional 10mm, to give it the head-tube angle it's supposed to have, without the weight of the fork they spec. If you are going to run plus tires, ignore this, as that'll override any of these smaller differences.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If the Cannondale has the Lefty I would avoid that (or anything else with proprietary, unique, difficult to get serviced parts, like Spec Brain), especially because you're a bit far from Cannondale HQ.
    In my opinion, Canyon should be considered as well; if you know your size, ordering a bike is not a bad thing, of my 4 'main' bikes I didn't test ride any of them.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Boaz,

Where are you located, where do you spend most time riding?
    Ben shemen? Horshan? The Jerusalem area?

What size bike are you ?

Id throw in the tallboy / blur tr. good bike.

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've had both the Trail 429 and Scalpel, and although the suspension lengths were similar, I found them to be very different, both good, just different. Scalpel, as mentioned, is a race machine whereas the Trail 429 is more of a do-everything bike IMO.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I've had both the Trail 429 and Scalpel, and although the suspension lengths were similar, I found them to be very different, both good, just different. Scalpel, as mentioned, is a race machine whereas the Trail 429 is more of a do-everything bike IMO.
    Is what he showed the same "scalpel"? This appears to be a more trail-orientated version.

mtbr member
    I'd argue for whichever of the 3 bikes has the best support in your country.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Is what he showed the same "scalpel"? This appears to be a more trail-orientated version.
    You're probably right, when I had mine there were only alloy and carbon options but both were XC-oriented.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

banned
    Apr 2019
    that's true. the scalpal se2 is an xc trail model with 120/120.