pivot mach 4SL vs Pivot Trail 429 vs Yeti SB100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

pivot mach 4SL vs Pivot Trail 429 vs Yeti SB100

hey guys,

From a use case of enjoying climbing as much as descending on SF bay area trails (skeggs-marin) and Tahoe, so right in the middle of XC/Trail category, and 'completing' an xterra or two, any demo experience on these 3 bikes,

On paper, its seems that the SB100 fits right in between the 2 pivots, all have very similar head tube angle of about 67deg which is ideal for the fast XC / light Trail category, but I'm thinking the Mach4 SL leans quite a bit towards the Race side, and may struggle a bit on Tahoe trails while the Trail429 seems a bit on the heavy side for XC climbing. The SB100 weight and frame heft seems to be somewhere in between

any thoughts or demo experience

for perspective, I have a Turner Flux, who's Geo I found was in between the Blur and Blur LT, the Ellsworth Truth and Epiphany, and Intense Spider and 5.5 , many moons ago. I found it climbed excellent, and yet wasn't too twitchy in the decent like the blur/truth/spider due to the 67deg angle vs their 68+

derek

mtbr member
    2020 top fuel

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    SB100 climbs excellent. Super capable and fun for 100mm. The Mach 4 and 429 are very different. The 429 is more trail oriented and much heavier than the Mach 4 around 4 pounds. Pinkbike just reviewed the Mach 4 SL. I think the 429 at 120 mm is closer to the SB130 and both are around 30 pounds. The SB100 and 429 will descend the best of all the bikes you mentioned, but the Yeti will be at least 2 pounds lighter. You need to demo both. The newer bikes are way more capable.

Formerly of Kent

pivot mach 4SL vs Pivot Trail 429 vs Yeti SB100

Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    SB100 climbs excellent. Super capable and fun for 100mm. The Mach 4 and 429 are very different. The 429 is more trail oriented and much heavier than the Mach 4 around 4 pounds. Pinkbike just reviewed the Mach 4 SL. I think the 429 at 120 mm is closer to the SB130 and both are around 30 pounds. The SB100 and 429 will descend the best of all the bikes you mentioned, but the Yeti will be at least 2 pounds lighter. You need to demo both. The newer bikes are way more capable.
    The 429 SL is a World Cup XCO bike. Itís easily built to sub-24lbs, with a dropper.
    Death from Below.

I am Walt
    I went through this process, albeit before the Mach 4 SL was announced, and settled on the SB100, which I absolutely love. Climbs and pedals extremely well, and punches (way) above its weight on the downs. It slots in between the two Pivots, and is more capable overall, IMO, than the 4 SL, which is the closer comparison. And Iím a Pivot fan, as I have two LESí - one geared and one SS.

My SB100 is a 2019 Turq X01 build, with carbon wheels that I had built, and the weight, with pedals, is 25.6. I could easily get it to the low-24ís (lbs) with pedals, if I wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ripley V4, same weight frame as SB100 and more travel.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The 429 SL is a World Cup XCO bike. Itís easily built to sub-24lbs, with a dropper.
    Pivot doesnít make the 429 SL anymore. Itís been replaced by the new Mach 4 SL.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    Pivot doesnít make the 429 SL anymore. Itís been replaced by the new Mach 4 SL.
    Whatever the current XCO model is, that's what I'm talking about.

If geometry is the deciding factor in descending capability, the Mach 4 should be on par with the SB100.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys , looks like youíve agreed with my initial thoughts after reading all the reviews, geometries , and specs that the sb100 fits in between the 2 pivots

I encountered this situation when demoing by flux yrs ago and itís competitors. A lot can be determined from a bike companies offerings and comparing that to your gneeds, which is that yeti donít really have an out and out World Cup race bike , which is obviously 100mm front and back and built to be sub24 with xtr, which then puts their sb100 at neither a race bike nor a trail bike, which is exactly what Iím looking for. A bike thatís not geared primarily towards racing or trail makes it a super comprise , just like the flux, light and efficient enough for the occasional race or xterra and yet very downhill capable.

I demoed the trail 429 but not the other 2 yet so canít yet compare , but the large came in. At 29 lbs with xt kit, which I was surprised at, I guess thatís in the sb130 range and definitely on the trail ĎWeightí side of things. Itís large frame is 6.4 lbs , which for sure is not a xc capable race bike

The mach4sl is probably Ďfasterí uphill than the sb100 but the sb100 probably takes it on the downhill

Weíll see after demos !

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks
    Not hugely in love with the ibis frame design but probably worth due diligence thanks

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by capall View Post
    which then puts their sb100 at neither a race bike nor a trail bike, which is exactly what Iím looking for. A bike thatís not geared primarily towards racing or trail makes it a super comprise , just like the flux, light and efficient enough for the occasional race or xterra and yet very downhill capable.
    ^^Bingo, and exactly what I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys , looks like youíve agreed with my initial thoughts after reading all the reviews, geometries , and specs that the sb100 fits in between the 2 pivots

I encountered this situation when demoing by flux yrs ago and itís competitors. A lot can be determined from a bike companies offerings and comparing that to your gneeds, which is that yeti donít really have an out and out World Cup race bike , which is obviously 100mm front and back and built to be sub24 with xtr, which then puts their sb100 at neither a race bike nor a trail bike, which is exactly what Iím looking for. A bike thatís not geared primarily towards racing or trail makes it a super comprise , just like the flux, light and efficient enough for the occasional race or xterra and yet very downhill capable.

I demoed the trail 429 but not the other 2 yet so canít yet compare , but the large came in. At 29 lbs with xt kit, which I was surprised at, I guess thatís in the sb130 range and definitely on the trail ĎWeightí side of things. Itís large frame is 6.4 lbs , which for sure is not a xc capable race bike

The mach4sl is probably Ďfasterí uphill than the sb100 but the sb100 probably takes it on the downhill

Weíll see after demos !
    What makes you believe the SB100 will be faster on the downs? Nothing about the geo indicates that.

It may be worth mentioning Customer Service, do some reading on here. I think it's pretty safe to say Pivots and most other brands CS is worlds above Yeti's. I've owned a lot of different brands, one I won't buy is Yeti, charge more and worst CS I've read about. They need at least 5 years of stellar reports before I'd even consider giving them my money.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    SB100 feels a bit more "solid" riding than the Mach 4 and gets bounced and pinged around a tad less on rough descents. Both pedal great, the Mach 4 is a bit lighter. The Mach 4 is better with a 100mm fork IMO as it feels more like a true XC bike. Kept the Mach 4 due to issues with the SI on the SB100, which I fear they still haven't addressed and/or rectified. The updated link reduced rear stiffness on my bike and having to constantly check and tighten the bolts is not a proper solution. That debacle ruined me on Yeti for a while.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    SB100 feels a bit more "solid" riding than the Mach 4 and gets bounced and pinged around a tad less on rough descents. Both pedal great, the Mach 4 is a bit lighter. The Mach 4 is better with a 100mm fork IMO as it feels more like a true XC bike. Kept the Mach 4 due to issues with the SI on the SB100, which I fear they still haven't addressed and/or rectified. The updated link reduced rear stiffness on my bike and having to constantly check and tighten the bolts is not a proper solution. That debacle ruined me on Yeti for a while.
    Donít think I said the sb100 was faster , what I meant was possible more stable give itís a touch heavier , all 3 have the same head tube and seat angles more or less so unlike old geometry thereís probably very little between them other than weight for climbing and going down , former prefers light weight while the later prefers heavier ( to a point )

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Donít think I said the sb100 was faster , what I meant was possible more stable give itís a touch heavier , all 3 have the same head tube and seat angles more or less so unlike old geometry thereís probably very little between them other than weight for climbing and going down , former prefers light weight while the later prefers heavier ( to a point )
    wutchu talkin' bout, Willis?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm not sure I'd ever recommend a 100mm race-rig for all-around riding in a place like NorCal. If you were going to be primarily XC racing with it, sure, but despite what the companies say, 100mm is still 100mm and it won't feel like more. A 100mm rig makes a good choice in flatter terrain or midwest, for more than just XC riders, and some of these new bikes may give a little bit better versatility for an XC racer that wants a bit more relaxed ride, but again, 100mm is squarely in XC race territory these days.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'm not sure I'd ever recommend a 100mm race-rig for all-around riding in a place like NorCal. If you were going to be primarily XC racing with it, sure, but despite what the companies say, 100mm is still 100mm and it won't feel like more. A 100mm rig makes a good choice in flatter terrain or midwest, for more than just XC riders, and some of these new bikes may give a little bit better versatility for an XC racer that wants a bit more relaxed ride, but again, 100mm is squarely in XC race territory these days.
    I certainly would have agreed before 29in wheels came on the scene, and with 26in wheels would never have bought a 100mm rear susp. bike for XC/trail riding in Norcal, unless racing was the key role, (120 would have been the goto for non racing XC), but was wondering if 100mm in the rear on 29er wheels rides more like 120mm on 26in wheels ?

going by this, then both the mach 4SL and the sb100 would be right in the race bracket.

thougts

Elitest thrill junkie
    I certainly would have agreed before 29in wheels came on the scene, and with 26in wheels would never have bought a 100mm rear susp. bike for XC/trail riding in Norcal, unless racing was the key role, (120 would have been the goto for non racing XC), but was wondering if 100mm in the rear on 29er wheels rides more like 120mm on 26in wheels ?

going by this, then both the mach 4SL and the sb100 would be right in the race bracket.

thougts
    I don't agree, having done this for a while, the 29er will roll faster through rough terrain...if you can hang on. The wheel size isn't a replacement for travel IME and while wheel-catchers won't affect you as much, more travel is generally better up to a point where you are lugging around a machine too heavy and sluggish for the terrain you are riding. General nor-cal as specified above: I'd stay away from XC-travel of 100mm.

I went from a 155 enduro 29er to a 160 enduro 27.5er, the 27.5er had a better shock once I got it tuned and the suspension worked better overall(coil). It was exactly the situation I'm describing above, on a rough trail section in an enduro race, the 27.5 smoothed it out much better due to better suspension and I was able to hold on better and go faster.

IME, wheel size is not a replacement for suspension. It may let you go faster theoretically, but holding on is another matter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    oh, then for a Trail429 SL, I say