Pipedream Moxie - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipedream Moxie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone give me some sizing advise, I'm 6', all my bikes have always been a large... Will a Longer be ok? I'm planning to run a 140mm Pike, 170mm cranks and possibly 29x2.5" front 27.5x2.8" rear for some cush.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
    Can anyone give me some sizing advise, I'm 6', all my bikes have always been a large... Will a Longer be ok? I'm planning to run a 140mm Pike, 170mm cranks and possibly 29x2.5" front 27.5x2.8" rear for some cush.
    I'm 5'9" on a long with a 30mm stem (could go 35mm) and it fits great. If I were 6' I would definitely go longer. I don't know what your other bikes were, but they are probably short in comparison to the Moxie. IME once you go long and finally get enough reach, you won't want to go back to a shorter bike.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Current and past bikes are all short... 2016 Stumpjumper 29, 2015 RM Element, Titus Fireline, Stooge, Yeti SB95...

Hisforever
    the wait on this thing is killing me. placed an order for a Long Teal one month ago. should be sometime in Movember. Anyone know why they are not avail in teal anymore?

cheers

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Teal is very unpopular. Haven't you heard of anti tealing activists, you know, "save the teals"
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Hisforever
    hahaha. right on, teal i ssold out i just was told in an email from Alan...

I do have a question to add:

I really like the extra grip of the minion dhr2. Any reason not to go with a 2.6 minion dhrII front and pair it with a 2.8 in the rear for more cushion? cons I could think of are that it would pedal slower? but have more comfort? oh, and a little more wallow in the back end. ( the one thing i dont like about plus tires)

I know i could just try it, but wondering what the general idea is.?

Anyway, this isnt a normal mtb setup i know, but it just makes more sense on a hardtail.

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    I tried a 27.5 2.8 Butcher rear and 29 2.5 DHF front on one ride. It felt weird so now I either 29 or 27.5+
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Hisforever
    Won’t hurt to try 27.5 2.6” front with 27.5 2.8” rear. If it sux we can put the 2.8 up front or on another ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    How does the fit on your Fugitive compare to the Moxie Travis?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think that could be a good idea. I'm currently on 2.6 DHF front, 2.6 Forekaster rear. Running a 27.5 fork at 160mm.

When the Forekaster wears out, I'm going to try a 2.8 in the rear for a little more cushion.

Also going to move to a 29er fork when the current one craps out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    How does the fit on your Fugitive compare to the Moxie Travis?
    The Moxie has a touch more reach than the Fugitive, but they feel close enough.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Hisforever
    sampled a fugitive this past week and was pretty impressed, nice ride.

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    The Moxie and Fugitive are a great pair, I am in Mountain Bike Heaven.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

banned
    Apr 2006
    Name:  1191675d1523109135t-pipedream-moxie-20180406_144742.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  82.8 KB

So, have you ever even driven a taxi, Travis?

Because I have.

mtbr member
    Never
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I just swapped my Syntace Megaforce 30mm stem and RF 10mm rise SIXC bar for a Renthal 33mm and RF Next R 10mm rise 35mm diameter bar. The Syntace is a great stem, but very tight on the steerer tube which made it tricky to adjust the headset with my OneUp EDC top cap. I installed the Renthal stem with positive rise, slammed. I am now a bit more stretched out and lower for the full XC race feel. The shift lever will contact the top tube so I layered some clear plastic wrap to protect the paint in the unlikely event of a crash.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    We Are One Agent DT350 29 wheels ordered for the Moxie. I will be shopping for a tire insert at least on the rear.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Hisforever
    Nice set of wheels! you must really like the moxie: )

I've got this long mega hardtail in the stand right now. the build process has begun really pumped.

should go nicely with a TR sentinel

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    I have a new Knolly Fugitive and the Moxie isn't any slower on many trails .
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Pipedream Moxie-ee6b22ec-ad14-44f5-bd0f-f7b4c4be2cc6.jpg

Can’t wait, Moxie frame is in. Will be built up by next weekend. Waiting on Woeks Components angleset.

Erik

shredthögnar
    Gah if only I could decide between long and longer! I'm 181 with 179 wingspan and I ride Large birm am9. 500 reach with 655 effective tt, hi cockpit and 32mm stem

any thoughts my dudes?

hmm kind of drawn into the longer..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-img_3708.jpg  

Pipedream Moxie-45847599_10156812744332552_5930229326053113856_o.jpg  

Last edited by bike_futurist; 12-10-2018 at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Bike_futurist,
    I currently ride a L Aeris AM9 and my previous bike was a Longer Moxie. I'm 184cm tall, 195 wingspan (I know... Donkey Kong).

Definitely go for the longer Moxie:
    - you need all the wheelbase you can get on a hardtail
    - the extreme geometry is what sets the Moxie apart, so why don't go "full Moxie"?

shredthögnar
    yeh ur right. Yesterday evening I googled the geometries of all the HT's ive ridden recently and definitely going longer

mtbr member
    BTW, what travel fork do you have on the AM9?
    Looks more than 150mm

shredthögnar
    150mm yari with acs3

mtbr member
    My Moxie with We Are One Agents on DT 350. Trying singlespeed again, don't laugh at my gearing.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Here she is. Cushcore. 2.8” plus and 1.5 degree works components angleset. 32 lbs 10oz.

Pipedream Moxie-da6960d6-fa4f-40ec-a8c5-8576465bef8f.jpg

Erik

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Here she is. Cushcore. 2.8” plus and 1.5 degree works components angleset. 32 lbs 10oz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA6960D6-FA4F-40EC-A8C5-8576465BEF8F.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	1229240

Erik
    Nice! Exactly how I’m going I set mine up. What length is your fork?
    I’m thinking about bumping the fox to 160 to offset the 1.5 degrees of extra slack and keep the bb from getting too low.

mtbr member
    My fork is a 160mm 27/27+ fox 36. Bike is a size Long. The bottom bracket is ~11.5” and I’m set up with 170mm cranks.

If you want any measurements or pics. More than happy to help.
    Erik

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My fork is a 160mm 27/27+ fox 36. Bike is a size Long. The bottom bracket is ~11.5” and I’m set up with 170mm cranks.

Erik
    Thanks. Sounds perfect
    Mine should be here next week. Super stoked for this bike.

mtbr member

Erik
    A slacked out Moxie, amazing!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

shredthögnar
    Mine was just shipped out YEAH

shredthögnar
    what kind of tyre clearance are we looking at with something say 29 i30 rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    what kind of tyre clearance are we looking at with something say 29 i30 rim?
    I run my dropouts all the way back, or close to it when single-speed and have room for 2.35 Scwalbes or 2.4 Maxxis DHR2 (smaller than Scwalbe). 2.5 Maxxis will be ok, but I haven't tried anything bigger. With 27.5 3.0 will fit, but again I haven't tried bigger. I would like a bit more clearance, but am perfectly happy with the 2.35 Hans Damph 2. 29 2.6 tires are gonna be out, unless they are from the big S, which are undersized.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Just finished my Moxie, all that’s left is to run the dropper cable. I’m looking forward to riding it over the next few days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Just finished my Moxie, all that’s left is to run the dropper cable. I’m looking forward to riding it over the next few days.
    That looks great. What's your spec.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)

Pipedream Moxie

Longer frame
    Cane Creek Helm Air 140mm
    Shimano XT cranks 32, cassette
    One Up 170mm dropper
    Syntace 30mm stem, Niner carbon 785mm bar

Just finished first ride, was more XC than technical but bike rode wonderfully. Steel is noticeably more comfortable than my last aluminum frame. Weight is also hard to ignore but not a deal breaker. Quite happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just curious what aluminum frame you were riding previously.
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Had an XL Santa Cruz Chameleon. Pretty harsh.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that perceived harshness difference might also be related to the very different geometries. The longer slacker geo of the Moxie calms down the whole thing a lot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Okay, I have a question about the sliders. Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

I too am 5'9" and older. I too would be tempted to try it SS. But SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.
    Hi,

sorry if this has been answered already, but i only now stumbled upon this thread. I don't have a Moxie, but a 2013 Kona Honzo (steel), which also has sliding dropouts. The geo is also "modern" but not as extreme as the Moxies's, with 415-435mm chainstays, 416mm reach and 68° HA. I ride it single speed since late 2017, and it works very well. I ride flat pedals and am using an oval 34T chainring with a 21T cog, which turned out to be a good gearing for the terrain I ride. Drew Major from nsmb has written a nice piece on the combination of flat pedals, oval rings and single speed hardtails: https://nsmb.com/articles/flat-pedal-facts/

I ride it with 29" 2.3 minions f/high rollers r (against the recommended rotation direction) fwiw:

Pipedream Moxie-honzo_st_02.jpg

Pipedream Moxie-20180326_150531.jpg

Echoing others on this thread, I really appreciate the sliding dropouts, not only for single speeding, but also for adjusting the geo when riding geared.

mtbr member
    I have set mine up single-speed and I'm not sure what kind of advantage shorter-steeper geometry could have. It handles identically geared or single, and that is great.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Need some sizing advice. Thanks in advance. I’m 5’10.5” with a +2 ape index and a 32 inseam. Have a medium Pedalhead which fits fine but maybe a little small with a 50mm stem. The Moxie long size has the same TT and a longer reach. I tend to climb seated and could go a little longer in the TT on the Pedalhead but the jump to the Longer Moxie is 39mm which makes me nervous. Any suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Go for the longer

mtbr member
    I think you could go either way depending on your desired stem length. I would email Allen at Pipedream and ask him.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I think you could go either way depending on your desired stem length. I would email Allen at Pipedream and ask him.
    Good call thank.

shredthögnar
    Mine arrived. The pink is absolutely charmingly eye burning :-)

It looks more compact than I feared ;-) how long is the actual tt on the longer model (just to be sure)?

Hisforever
    Wooly mang do NOT go for the longer. I'm a chap with 33" inseam, 5'10 also plenty long arms. the long is long enough. running a 35mm stem on mine and my seat is scrunched all da way fwd. just last ride i only had 3-4mm of rail left on the saddle and my front end is lifting up from the length. all the way fwd feels really good.

on another note. this bike is for sure a ripper. have mine set up with 27.5 plus 2.8/2.6 DHR's. very happy w the ride quality of this frame. blows my old chromag stylus clearly out of the water. no comparison. this bike is smooth and surprisingly damped. I dont even want to grab the sentinel or even the brand new rallon that is sitting in the garage : 0

one more note the tire clearance w/ 29er/30mm inners is pretty bad.
    2.35 e13's with 1 maybe 2mm of clearance on each side. There should be a little more adjustability imo. boggy day rubbin for sure

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Wooly mang do NOT go for the longer.
    Thanks!

Hisforever
    tried a set of heavy 29er wheels on the ride today. think i prefer the cush of plus tires.
    29er was blazing fast but feeling it more walking which is not a good thing. Might try kentucky waterfall...bizness up front party in the back.

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does anyone know if the published Moxie geometry is with sag or not? Especially the head tube/seat tube angles

mtbr member
    Static, no sag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Had an XL Santa Cruz Chameleon. Pretty harsh.

How are you finding the Moxie geo in comparison to the Chameleon?
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    How are you finding the Moxie geo in comparison to the Chameleon?
    So far I prefer the Moxie geo.

Descending it feels more confident, aided by the additional 20mm of travel, but also due to something else that I’ll chalk up to the geometry. Maybe because my chainstays on the Moxie are set up longer than those of the Chameleon it feels better descending? Dunno.

I rode the Chameleon with the exact same tires and wheels and the Moxie is more comfy for sure. Don’t really know why, and don’t think frame material makes that much of a difference. Again, chalk it up to geometry. Perhaps the shorter seat tube allows more post flex, but both used a dropper, thus not specifically engineered to flex I assume.

Could be BB drop or something else, I didn’t compare them. But overall quite happy with the frame switch.

mtbr member
    Cool. I ride a 2018 Honzo now, which I love, but I have been thinking about the Moxie. My only concern is the long wheel base with the super tight North East trails I ride.
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Other people can chime in, but super tight NE tech is the one place where I wouldn't recommend the Moxie. BB is too low and overall frame too long for that stuff. I think the Moxie is great anyplace where you can get a little speed and even techy rocks as long as you don't have to make many near-stall turns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Cool. I ride a 2018 Honzo now, which I love, but I have been thinking about the Moxie. My only concern is the long wheel base with the super tight North East trails I ride.
    My recommendation is to move.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    My recommendation is to move.
    Haha
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    Mine arrived. The pink is absolutely charmingly eye burning :-)

It looks more compact than I feared ;-) how long is the actual tt on the longer model (just to be sure)?
    How do you like the longer size? I'm also 181cm with shorter arms, like 176cm wingspan.

mtbr member
    Big ride needs fuel, a ham and cheese croissant .

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Big ride needs fuel, a ham and cheese croissant .

Sleek looking! Wind channel approved? 🤔

mtbr member
    It did not slow me down. I continue to be amazed at what the Moxie can handle.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I love this bike. Rode a local trail that has some serious technical parts and the Moxie geometry made most of it pretty easy. I'm gonna say that the "longer" size reach (both frame size and geometry term) makes the big difference.

I've ridden bikes with >500mm reach before, but none that felt as good as the Moxie. I love leaning this thing over in turns and pushing it on the descents. It still excels on tame singletrack if you have the engine to push it, but not quite as fast as a dedicated XC bike. Regardless it's much more fun.

I have slightly short for my height legs (I think) and a longer torso (6' tall, about 33" real inseam barefeet) so the longer frame with a 30mm stem works well for me. Flat bars for the XC feel but a 170mm dropper to get rowdy.

I'm in central NC and I have no problem getting it around our tight trails. My dropouts are almost all the way back, but no negative effects on the ride. I've also got a carbon Kona Honzo that I love with short chainstays; two different bikes with slightly different purposes. The Honzo is just fast everywhere, but not dedicated to super tech stuff. With a Fox 34 it does very well, and can race anytime. Slightly shorter reach (470mm) means a 70mm stem for me, and I enjoy XC racing it often. Keeps the steering quick for racing yet still enough reach to slay burly trails.

The Moxie is different in that it really lets you unleash going downhill. I'm more confident on it when descending gnarly stuff, or going over big rocks with body weight movements or lots of power. The Honzo does it well too, just not with as much confidence as the Moxie. Plus the pink frame always gets comments, and people ask you how you rode all that stuff on a hardtail. I reply that it's the geometry, and the 2 years that I've spent with TrainerRoad.

Just my $0.02.

monster member
    Bike looks bad-ass. That pink one too! Bought those MH fenders partially on some of your reviews. Enjoy the bike!
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    I was worried that shipping all the way from Scotland would result in a damaged frame but it was packaged very well!

I haven't built or ridden a MTB in 10+ years so this should be fun! (Things sure have changed!)

I used to be a WW but now that I am fat I don't care so much. (I did weigh the frame, though. With axle and fitings a size "Long" is 2880 grams.)

It looks really really long to me! (And the hot pink is crazy!)

I have attached pictures of things I was curious about prior to the sale.

I can provide more pictures if anyone wants something specific.

The conversion from £ to $, plus shipping, put this at the extreme end of my budget. ($838)

Shipping
    Pipedream Moxie-001.jpg

Dropper cable area
    Pipedream Moxie-002.jpg

Rear disc tab and dropout area
    Pipedream Moxie-003.jpg

Chain guide tabs and BB area
    Pipedream Moxie-004.jpg

Inside the HT. (How something is finished here tells me a lot about the frame quality.)
    Pipedream Moxie-005.jpg
    Last edited by Xyzzy; 02-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Travis - thanks for the multiple threads on the hardtails. It was great reading your experience and evolution. I am now considering one, particularly with the longer geometry.

Funny story - about 5-6 years (maybe even longer), hardtails were coming back into fashion. I got excited, ordered 26" Chromag. It arrived, I built it up and went around the block. Came back, tore it down, and sold it immediately. Haha, I realized that I needed suspension for my needs.

I am curious with the bigger wheels, longer geometry, etc will I enjoy it or will default to my story above. My interest is piqued.

I am still reading and evaluating.

mtbr member
    2.5 Maxxis will be ok, but I haven't tried anything bigger.
    Do you think a 2.5" Maxxis will be bigger than a 2.35" Schwalbe?

I wonder if this will fit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-1ecc653a-16c6-4ced-94a6-a6433a522dbc.jpeg  

mtbr member
    On 30mm rims at 25psi my Schwalbe 2.35 HD2 measures 62mm, and my Maxxis 2.5 DHF measures 65mm. At the longest chain stay setting, which is what I use it will fit. 2.484 x 25.4 = 63.1mm.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

shredthögnar
    On 30mm rims at 25psi my Schwalbe 2.35 HD2 measures 62mm, and my Maxxis 2.5 DHF measures 65mm. At the longest chain stay setting, which is what I use it will fit. 2.484 x 25.4 = 63.1mm.
    ah, sounds good! I havent built up mine yet but after that enduromag review and fears of only being able to use 2,3" I was kind of losing faith in the frameset already

mtbr member
    Here it is with 650B+ for added traction.

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    How wide are your 27.5+ tires? What tires are they? How noticeable is the extra volume?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here it is with 650B+ for added traction.
    Nicely done Travis.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    2.8 Specialized Butchers. The extra volume does smooth out the trail quite noticeably, but I prefer the extra speed of my 29 wheels. With 27.5+ I use 165 cranks to prevent pedal strikes.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Do the 2.8" 27.5+ tires have more clearance than the 29" tires?

I'm so glad it rarely snows where I live!

mtbr member
    They say you can't have too many bikes, but between my motorcycles and bikes and my wife's and son's bikes, I literally have too many. I have a garage full, a spare bedroon full, and three in the living room. (My wife loves that!)

Anyways, the only bike that I have that isn't complete is the Moxie frame. I think I need to let it go to a good home. I'll probably post it in the classifieds soon but if anyone here wants a great deal just PM me. I can make it very much worth your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Looks like Pipedream Cycles updated the Moxie for 2019. Changes include: slackened HTA by 1°, now 64°; steepened STA by 1°, now 77.5°; increased chain stay length by 10mm, now 425-441mm (sliding dropouts); increased seat tube diameter to accept 31.6mm seat post. I'm wanting this bike even more now. My heart says "yes," but my wallet and head say "ENOUGH BIKES ALREADY!"

mtbr member
    I have been toying with the idea of a Works Components angle reducing headset. Cheaper than the new Moxie.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Are you feeling like 65° isn't quite as slack as you'd like, or are you just looking to tinker with the geometry?

mtbr member
    I have been toying with the idea of a Works Components angle reducing headset. Cheaper than the new Moxie.
    Plus you can get a -2 deg adjust headset. Time to stop shaving your legs for every ride Travis. Your XC glory days are over.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I love to tinker with my bikes. Not sure how slack to go on my Moxie XC bike. How slack is too slack?

Plus - Better DH. One of the roads on the way home from the local watering hole is steepish, and a 63-64° HTA will help.
    It will look cool when I'm parked at the coffee shop.
    Can brag about how slack my hardtail is.

Minus - Don't see any.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    It will look cool when I'm parked at the coffee shop.
    Enough said!

Forgive me if you've already answered this question. I'm liking the idea of the Moxie for steep descents and ascents, but how does she perform on relatively flatter terrain? Would you still fancy the bike if you had say approx. 20% ascent/descent each, 60% flat/xc terrain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    Anyways, the only bike that I have that isn't complete is the Moxie frame. I think I need to let it go to a good home. I'll probably post it in the classifieds soon but if anyone here wants a great deal just PM me. I can make it very much worth your time.

https://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/...t-1098482.html

LMK if you think the price is too high. I *think* it is appropriate.

mtbr member
    I enjoy the bike on any terrain and I don't shy away from any terrain on it. If I lived on the prairies I would probably have something more like the Honzo CR though.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    https://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/...t-1098482.html

LMK if you think the price is too high. I *think* it is appropriate.

Killer price! GLWTS

Hisforever
    Trav, what fork travel are you running?

160mm 36 seems really good with either 29 or the plus tires so far.

was thinking of going to a 150 real soon, mainly to free up this 160 for another build

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    I just changed my Lyrik to 150 during the last service. Might try my 150 36 sometime too.

Formerly Travis Bickle

all your base
    Placed a pre-order for a Long in Silver-Rainbow this evening. Appreciate all the contributions to this thread, will post pics when she arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by primefocus View Post
    Placed a pre-order for a Long in Silver-Rainbow this evening. Appreciate all the contributions to this thread, will post pics when she arrives.
    That's exciting! The silver rainbow should be pretty cool looking in person. I was torn between that and the teal. I'm still waiting on a final quote from Alan but should be able to get my order in soon as well. Please post some pictures of the frame when you get it.

Hisforever
    I just changed my Lyrik to 150 during the last service. Might try my 150 36 sometime too.

Just swapped a 160mm 36 with a Pike 150mm. Pretty good difference between a to c on these two forks. The pike is quicker and steeper for sure, not just a 10mm difference in travel I feel, the pike is shorter...however, I like the quickness so far. a proper trail ride will tell more.

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

all your base
    I really like the teal too, probably delayed my order about a week trying to decide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Now that I have a bit of time on the 140mm 42mm offset RC2 Lyrik I have formed an opinion. First, the new RC2 is great. Smoothes out small bumps, doesn't blow through travel, and yet does absorb big impacts very well. Two previously sprained thumbs up. I can feel that the reduced offset has brought the front axle closer and the front wheel is more planted in the corners. This is not a huge effect, but noticeable. I don't see any negatives with the reduced offset so I am recommending it.
    Any speculation on how a reduced offset fork would feel with the updated 64° HTA, 77.5° STA geometry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnt_goat View Post
    Any speculation on how a reduced offset fork would feel with the updated 64° HTA, 77.5° STA geometry?
    I think that with an even slacker HTA, the reduced offset will have a greater benefit when cornering. It will reign in the front contact patch for more traction.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I think that with an even slacker HTA, the reduced offset will have a greater benefit when cornering. It will reign in the front contact patch for more traction.
    I agree with that. I wonder if the increased trail from both the slacker HTA and reduced offset would make the front feel too floppy during the flat sections of trail. Did you notice any difference in that respect?

mtbr member
    It felt different for about 30 minutes, after that I only noticed the slightly better cornering.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd bet money that I'd likely not even notice a difference of 7mm offset except for whatever placebo effect it had I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going with an obviously worse choice choosing the 44mm over the 51mm offset since both are available now in the DVO Diamond that I'll be ordering the same time as the new Moxie.

Hisforever
    this thread needs some movement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-moxie-flyer.jpg  

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    this thread needs some movement
    Solid move, well done!

all your base
    Wating for one to be shipped!

mtbr member
    Wating for one to be shipped!
    Exciting. What colour?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

all your base
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Exciting. What colour?
    Silver rainbow! "Much excite." Hoping every update on the thread is someone reporting a delivery. Everyone keep us posted! Warm weather is here, time to ride!

Hisforever
    moxie airlines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-hardtail-step-down.jpg  

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Rear tire touching the frame?

Hello, been riding the moxie for a couple weeks now, anybody noticed the rear tire rubbing the chainstay during heavy pedaling on high gear or heavy cornering? The rim is a Spank Oozy Trail 295 w/ 24.5mm inner width and the tire is a schwalbe rock razor 2.35.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-img_2752.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have a Hans Dampf 2.35 on a 30mm rim and have a bit of rubbing on the drive side chainstay.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just an update, since the rock razor 2.35 was totally damaged during a recent ride, a maxxis highroller II 2.30 was installed. The rubbing is almost fully gone. Dropouts fully backed out, I did not mention that in my last message...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The chainstay rubbing was an issue on facebook, too. And the recommendation from Pipedream was to run 27,5plus wheels. Then I decided to buy an Pole Taival...

mtbr member
    Anyone know if they've improved the clearance with the updated Moxie??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    From the website regarding the new Moxie:

"Quote"

Updated for 2019.

As wide profile 29er rims and tyres are now more easily available and more commonly used, the chainstays (CS) have been increased by 10mm in length to better accommodate them and create more CS/tyre clearance. The adjustable dropouts now offer CS lengths of 425-441mm (previously 415-431mm) so you can find that sweet-spot or run the bike single-speed if you’re really hardcore.

With most riders opting to use longer forks, the seat angle has been steepened. This shortens the effective top tube length (ETT) by approximately 13mm/0.5″ (without changing the reach) and keeps you more centrally positioned ‘in’ the bike instead of being pitched backwards with the longer fork. It also means your’e not as stretched-out while seated, giving greater control and manoeuvrability. With the steeper seat angle and shorter ETT we’ve been able to slacken the head angle for improved confidence in the steep stuff without compromising handling or the eMTB-like climbing abilities of the bike.

"Unquote"

I personally don't mind the reduced clearance. I took the time to properly micro-adjust the dropouts, mounted a tyre that suited the chain-stays, tightened up the rear wheel after the first few rides. Now it is flawless. The bike rides great. Next moves will be a second wheelset 27.5+ size, a proper remote for the DVO garnet cause the original one sucks, maybe a fork with reduced offset at 44mm instead of 51mm that I am running now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Got my new Moxie MK2! All built up with 29er wheels and 160mm DVO Diamond.
    Clearance is much better, running 2.5 DHF with enough clearance.
    Impressive finish and great riding bike Good to be back on DVO as well, even though that fork might end up on my Geometron, and the Fox36 on the Moxie...

mtbr member
    Must see photos!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My bad! That kind of post without pics is worthless

Pipedream Moxie-moxie1.jpg

Pipedream Moxie-moxie2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A few upgrades for the Moxie and some photos!

A BikeYoke Triggy X was installed for operating the DVO Garnet dropper seatpost.
    The Shimano Saint brakes with 203 rotors front and rear were moved from the 26er Knolly Chilcotin that is not used anymore since this bike was built up...

Keep the thread updated!

Pipedream Moxie-img_3156.jpg

Pipedream Moxie-img_3153.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It's look like it's me who write this message ahah!

I have a chilcotin too and next week I will buy a used moxie longer and I have too shimano Saint on the chilcotin XD.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    New 2019 Moxie (unpainted frame that I painted)
    Size Longer
    Fox 34 140mm
    Nukeproof 800mm bars 40mm rise syntace 30 mm stem
    BikeYoke 185mm dropper
    Hope E4 brakes 203/180
    32/22 absolute black oval
    Chainstays near max
    XT 165mm cranks
    Minion DHF 27.5x2.8 front
    XR4 27.5x2.8 back
    Pipedream Moxie-moxie_3.jpgPipedream Moxie-moxie.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    New 2019 Moxie (unpainted frame that I painted)
    Size Longer
    Fox 34 140mm
    Nukeproof 800mm bars 40mm rise syntace 30 mm stem
    BikeYoke 185mm dropper
    Hope E4 brakes 203/180
    32/22 absolute black oval
    Chainstays near max
    XT 165mm cranks
    Minion DHF 27.5x2.8 front
    XR4 27.5x2.8 back
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moxie_3.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	1262257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moxie.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	1262259
    Excellent!!

mtbr member
    Love it, great colour.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Enduro racing on the Moxie!

Pipedream Moxie-moxie-racing.jpg

all your base
    For folks who have finished their build, could I poll you on what length of steerer you ended up with?

Thanks in advance, hoping to see if a particular used fork would fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The head tube is real short on the Moxie so pretty much anything will fit from an older bike. I personally run 19 cm steerer tube, and that gives me a big old spacer stack But the fork then also fits on my Geometron, which is nice.

all your base
    Thanks for the reply, that helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm New Moxie owner checking in!

Checking in from Seattle!

Frame: 2019 Pipedream Moxie in Wild Teal, size "Long"
    Fork: DVO Diamond D1, 29, 44mm offset
    Wheels: We Are One Agent 27.5, 30mm I.D.
    Tires: Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8
    Chainstay length: 425mm, shortest adjustment
    Seatpost: BikeYoke Revive, 185mm travel
    Brakes: Hope Tech 3 E4, rotors 203mm front, 180mm rear
    Cranks: Shimano XT 8100, 165mm
    Chainring: Wolftooth oval 32t for Shimano HG+
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT 8100
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 7100, 12sp 10-51

A lot of thought went into this build and I'm really satisfied with how it turned out. With Moxie's 64mm of BB drop and 27.5 wheels, crank/pedal strikes were a real concern on the types of trails I enjoy riding. Short cranks were an excellent choice in retrospect!

Tremeer023
    Sep 2019
    For folks who have finished their build, could I poll you on what length of steerer you ended up with?

Thanks in advance, hoping to see if a particular used fork would fit.
    Just built mine up 2 weeks ago. Left my steerer at close to 200mm as I wanted the same front end height from the old set-up. Running plenty of spacers. As someone else has said though, the head tube is short even with the external bottom cup so could get away with as little as 175mm steerer or so depending on your stem stack height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I've been wanting a Moxie ever since I learned about them a couple months ago but they've been out of stock. Well the new 2020 Moxies are coming and I'm planning on finally ordering one! In my emails with them the new bikes are supposed to have slightly revised chainstays for better tire clearance. I've been trying to decide if I should get the long or the longer size. According to the sizing chart I could probably go either way. I'm 5'9". I've been playing around with rattlecad to see how I would fit on them. My current bikes are generally 25" from seat to bars which I'm fine with. The medium frame size would set up with almost exactly the same bar to seat distance. The large frame would be about an inch and a half longer which I think I can deal with. I'm wondering if the large frame would be worth getting since it seems like so many people say the longer the better for the Moxie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    At 5'9", the long frame with 470 reach will be long enough. I'm the same on my G1 frame, running a 40mm stem. Remember it gets even longer in reach when the fork sags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Strange questions for owners (especially v2 owners if any on here). How does this ride on more mellow trails and dirt roads/paths?

I'm after something to take on family trips that can tow an axle mounted trailer (so my FS bike is a no go) and cover ground on rail trails, dirt roads, etc but that will be capable and fun on the trails that are often in those areas.

I feel like the long/low/slack will be nice for towing stability but have some concern about the steep ST being a bit too much on the dead flat rail trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    RIP Travis
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

Tremeer023
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    Strange questions for owners (especially v2 owners if any on here). How does this ride on more mellow trails and dirt roads/paths?

I'm after something to take on family trips that can tow an axle mounted trailer (so my FS bike is a no go) and cover ground on rail trails, dirt roads, etc but that will be capable and fun on the trails that are often in those areas.

I feel like the long/low/slack will be nice for towing stability but have some concern about the steep ST being a bit too much on the dead flat rail trails.

I have a 'long' V2 Moxie which is my one bike for all. My rides typically go from the house and on the road for a few miles which it does no problem, although I do have to slide my seat back on the rails a bit and also found a longer post was needed. My trails are generally tame but it can handle bigger tracks too.
    I also have a tag-along for my son which again works fine - personally I find different tyres and pressure makes up for a lot unless you are doing all day epics.

Also, sorry to hear about Travis. RIP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tremeer023 View Post
    I have a 'long' V2 Moxie which is my one bike for all. My rides typically go from the house and on the road for a few miles which it does no problem, although I do have to slide my seat back on the rails a bit and also found a longer post was needed. My trails are generally tame but it can handle bigger tracks too.
    I also have a tag-along for my son which again works fine - personally I find different tyres and pressure makes up for a lot unless you are doing all day epics.

Also, sorry to hear about Travis. RIP.
    Thanks much, how tall are you? I'm right between sizes. I'm sure it'll be way more comfortable than my salsa warbird for towing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well I put my pre-order in for my Moxie! Now I just have to wait two months for a frame...

Tremeer023
    Sep 2019
    Hi Kiotae, I'm 5,11 and usually ride a large size frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tremeer023 View Post
    Hi Kiotae, I'm 5,11 and usually ride a large size frame.
    Same height as me, I was debating between long and longer but I'm thinking longer is a jump too far

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After talking to Alan @ Pipedream, he recommended to me the longer size at 6' 0". He is 182cm (5'11.5") and prefers the longer for himself.

Tremeer023
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jeenyus View Post
    After talking to Alan @ Pipedream, he recommended to me the longer size at 6' 0". He is 182cm (5'11.5") and prefers the longer for himself.
    I'm 182cm exactly. The reason I went with the long is mainly down to my local trails which are quite flat. Mostly short tight twisty trails and a small bike park and pump track/BMX track too. I'm running 27.5 wheels with the rear slammed at 425mm. If I lived somewhere with bigger hills and faster rougher trails I may well have gone longer. Horses for courses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeenyus View Post
    I spoke with him as well and he pretty much gave me the same suggestion. He said if it's twisty he'd maybe steer me toward a long. The hangup we both had at that size for me is that the ETT is 20mm shorter than what I'm running now with a 50mm stem and I'm not sure I'd want a more compact seated position.

mtbr member
    I know the 29er tire clearance was tight on the V1 Moxie and that Pipedream lists the V2 Moxie with 29 x 2.5" tire clearance. Can anyone with a V2 bike comment on how well it fits say a Maxxis 2.5" WT tire and a Maxxis 2.6" tire if you've tried one?

Where I live we don't need mud clearance so I'd run a 2.6" tire as long as I wasn't getting hard rubbing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    AFAIK, they list as maximum clearance a tyre that will fit in any dropout position. If you only consider the rearmost positions, clearance is a lot bigger.

My MK1 could fit a 2.4 Ardent on a Flow EX rim (26mm I think) on any dropout position and a 2.5 WT Aggressor on a 30mm internal rim on the rearmost half or third of the dropouts.

By the way, fighting the urge to ditch the FS frame and buy back my MK1 Moxie on a daily basis. This time with a proper build, 160mm Fox 36 included

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    AFAIK, they list as maximum clearance a tyre that will fit in any dropout position. If you only consider the rearmost positions, clearance is a lot bigger.

My MK1 could fit a 2.4 Ardent on a Flow EX rim (26mm I think) on any dropout position and a 2.5 WT Aggressor on a 30mm internal rim on the rearmost half or third of the dropouts.

By the way, fighting the urge to ditch the FS frame and buy back my MK1 Moxie on a daily basis. This time with a proper build, 160mm Fox 36 included
    Thanks! I feel you on the HT vs. FS thing. I am shocked by how much I am loving riding a "modern" hardtail. Prior to this I would have told you I was a FS Guy, but apparently not.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I know the 29er tire clearance was tight on the V1 Moxie and that Pipedream lists the V2 Moxie with 29 x 2.5" tire clearance. Can anyone with a V2 bike comment on how well it fits say a Maxxis 2.5" WT tire and a Maxxis 2.6" tire if you've tried one?

Where I live we don't need mud clearance so I'd run a 2.6" tire as long as I wasn't getting hard rubbing.
    I have a 29x2.35 Forekaster on 28 id near the most forward chainstay. Fine, no rubbing, but not a lot more room to work with...I wouldn't think more than a normal 2.4 would be comfortable in short cs. However, if you run the longer chainstays, you'll get more room and would guess 2.6s would be fine. For what it's worth, I liked the bike w long chainstays too (used that for first few months), but went to this short position since I'm on a 32/21 singlespeed and that's where the chain fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    I have a 29x2.35 Forekaster on 28 id near the most forward chainstay. Fine, no rubbing, but not a lot more room to work with...I wouldn't think more than a normal 2.4 would be comfortable in short cs. However, if you run the longer chainstays, you'll get more room and would guess 2.6s would be fine. For what it's worth, I liked the bike w long chainstays too (used that for first few months), but went to this short position since I'm on a 32/21 singlespeed and that's where the chain fits.
    Thanks. You are on a V2?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yes, V2. These a picture of my long chainstay/27.5+ version high up on this page.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Got a V2 that i'm running with 29 DHF 2.5. Plenty of clearance when running long chainstays

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Has anyone heard about updates on the new batch? This wait is killing me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12