Pinkbike article: Custom Taiwanese alloy builds- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    716

    Pinkbike article: Custom Taiwanese alloy builds

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...rim-donut.html

    That's a genuine masterpiece of nerdy humor there.

    But the idea occurred to me (and I am sure to many others as well), we are so focused on carbon bikes these days but quite possibly custom aluminum frames can be manufactured at similar costs, and exactly to our desired geometry specs.

    Who knows anything about one-off orders of custom aluminum frames from Taiwan?

    I sent a few emails around, I'll see what I learn, but I thought I'd pick some brains here as well.
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,840
    I spend lots of time in China in a place called Guangzhou and have often been there when the convention center is holding a bike trade show. You would be surprised to see the type of bikes they are offering and who is there looking. Honestly, you can get a custom made bike in any material for 1-2,000 yuan. And if can haggle, you could easily get it for 500 yuan. The same as most "Bike" companies do.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

  3. #3
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,437
    ^^^500 yuan - less than $75. But that doesn't include airfare, food/lodging, or bringing it back. And I doubt there's a warranty built in...so, yeah. I think I'll stick to "bike" companies.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    ^^^500 yuan - less than $75. But that doesn't include airfare, food/lodging, or bringing it back. And I doubt there's a warranty built in...so, yeah. I think I'll stick to "bike" companies.
    Nobody said you had to be there to babysit the welder. Just tell the PR folks at the factory, "if you do a good job I'll give you good publicity." It's a safe bet they won't gamble on that.

    Who cares if there's warranty. It's $75. Shipping costs $75. $75+$75=$150. Cheaper than a plane ticket.
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...rim-donut.html

    That's a genuine masterpiece of nerdy humor there.

    But the idea occurred to me (and I am sure to many others as well), we are so focused on carbon bikes these days but quite possibly custom aluminum frames can be manufactured at similar costs, and exactly to our desired geometry specs.

    Who knows anything about one-off orders of custom aluminum frames from Taiwan?

    I sent a few emails around, I'll see what I learn, but I thought I'd pick some brains here as well.
    Yup, also steel, much easier to build prototypes, less expensive overall by far, which is one of the take aways from the Pinkbike project ...

    At some point, this ^ will be an option for us pleebs who like tinkering with geo and build our own bikes. I even suspect an enterprising person could build a business around this model, one bike at a time, custom designed.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  6. #6
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,434
    If I could go the "custom" route, no way it would be alloy.

    Just a personal opinion.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

  7. #7
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,713
    Isn't Atherton Bikes going to offer custom geo with their frames?

    https://www.athertonbikes.com/technology

    Price may be more than China though, including plane tickets...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yup, also steel, much easier to build prototypes, less expensive overall by far, which is one of the take aways from the Pinkbike project ...

    At some point, this ^ will be an option for us pleebs who like tinkering with geo and build our own bikes. I even suspect an enterprising person could build a business around this model, one bike at a time, custom designed.
    I know you can do this with Titanium, and a year or so ago I got some quotes for exactly this. Most everyone wanted $700+ before shipping for custom geometry and one-off orders. Granted, we are talking about some serious craftmanship and time investment from some of these factories.

    Which factories are good with custom steel frames? You've got me curious!
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    If I could go the "custom" route, no way it would be alloy.

    Just a personal opinion.
    All the bikes listed in your signature are metal. Do you mean no aluminum only steel?

    I like steel as much as the next person, but aluminum is so much lighter and easier to hydroform and machine.

    I find it curious that people have a bias toward one material vs another.

    Most bikes have all sorts of materials from plastic to steel to aluminum to rubber.

    Even steel is not "steel", it's an alloy of metals.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  10. #10
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    All the bikes listed in your signature are metal. Do you mean no aluminum only steel?
    Yes. I just find steel to be a smoother ride, I started obviously on aluminum as I didn't know any better, and it was fine, once I got a taste of riding steel, there is no going back.

    Again, not bias towards anything, just personal preference.

    Especially going custom, my money will go to steel. No question. (For me, my money)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

  11. #11
    Ride what you like!
    Reputation: MattiThundrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    347
    Steel is far more flexible than aluminum. Ride a rigid CroMo and then an aluminum one, the difference will be apparent within seconds. The difference is HUGE!
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    238
    Cool video, There are custom steel and TI builders who do one offs. It's more practical for them to tweak a catalog design by a few degrees or mm. Very few are full suspension, none are AL that I know of.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...rim-donut.html

    That's a genuine masterpiece of nerdy humor there.

    But the idea occurred to me (and I am sure to many others as well), we are so focused on carbon bikes these days but quite possibly custom aluminum frames can be manufactured at similar costs, and exactly to our desired geometry specs.

    Who knows anything about one-off orders of custom aluminum frames from Taiwan?

    I sent a few emails around, I'll see what I learn, but I thought I'd pick some brains here as well.
    They give you the name of the manufacturer that made Mike Levy's frame in the video. You can contact them directly. You can see that they also make frames for Knolly. They do Pivot frames too.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    402
    I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to contact the company and ask for the "Mike Levy" build...

    Then I saw the Geo

    https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/pink...rim-donut-2020
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    843
    I am eagerly looking forward to part 2! I wanna see what his ride impressions are.
    Silly bike things happening.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to contact the company and ask for the "Mike Levy" build...

    Then I saw the Geo

    https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/pink...rim-donut-2020
    From the year 2030. Seat tube looks like a unicycle.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    402
    Thread needs a pic

    Agree with Redlands R&C, looking forward to part 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  18. #18
    Ride what you like!
    Reputation: MattiThundrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    347
    ^CLOWN-country?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    They give you the name of the manufacturer that made Mike Levy's frame in the video. You can contact them directly. You can see that they also make frames for Knolly. They do Pivot frames too.
    I contacted Genio, but no response. Perhaps Genio's inbox is filled with a long queue of detailed custom RFQs from Pinkbike readers right now, or maybe not. Maybe they don't blink an eye for single orders.

    Yes, the fact that Chris Cocalis literally lives in the building for half of his life gives me a lot of reassurance.
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to contact the company and ask for the "Mike Levy" build...

    Then I saw the Geo

    https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/pink...rim-donut-2020
    You can still ask for the geo, just have them unslacken the HTA and STA by 6-10 years. That should be alright.
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

  21. #21
    be1
    be1 is online now
    too hot to hoot
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Steel is far more flexible than aluminum. Ride a rigid CroMo and then an aluminum one, the difference will be apparent within seconds. The difference is HUGE!
    i remember one time - riding my steel frame after being off of it for awhile. it was so "non-stiff" i had to look it over to be sure nothing was broken and the tires weren't low.
    too bad i hid a boot.

  22. #22
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Nobody said you had to be there to babysit the welder. Just tell the PR folks at the factory, "if you do a good job I'll give you good publicity." It's a safe bet they won't gamble on that.

    Who cares if there's warranty. It's $75. Shipping costs $75. $75+$75=$150. Cheaper than a plane ticket.
    I don't feel like arguing, but still no.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Thread needs a pic

    Agree with Redlands R&C, looking forward to part 2.
    Doesn't look much different than a pole stamina?

    Pinkbike article: Custom Taiwanese alloy builds-05_2019_stamina_en_rs_ds_syvatty_full-1920x1280.jpg

  24. #24
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    Doesn't look much different than a pole stamina?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_2019_stamina_en_RS_DS_syvatty_full-1920x1280.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	1306075
    Or, BicyclePubes interpretation.

    Pinkbike article: Custom Taiwanese alloy builds-screen-shot-2020-01-18-1.53.47-pm.png
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  25. #25
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,778
    R. Crumb likes this bike

    Name:  kkttyy.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  10.1 KB
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,124
    Id buy this argument if we were talking about rigid or hardtail bike, but once you add up flex from tires, rims, and rear suspension the difference is negligible.

    BTW, not sure if you have ever had a piece of aluminum tubing in your hands, but it does flex, differently from steel, but its not as rigid as some folks suggest.

    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i remember one time - riding my steel frame after being off of it for awhile. it was so "non-stiff" i had to look it over to be sure nothing was broken and the tires weren't low.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,939
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I contacted Genio, but no response. Perhaps Genio's inbox is filled with a long queue of detailed custom RFQs from Pinkbike readers right now, or maybe not. Maybe they don't blink an eye for single orders..
    Chinese New Year or Spring Festival for 2 weeks.
    Possibly.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Chinese New Year or Spring Festival for 2 weeks.
    Possibly.
    Could be, I also contacted them about 3 weeks ago and have not had a response.

Similar Threads

  1. Best article on e-mtbs ever written / Pinkbike Speaks
    By tahoebeau in forum The ReCycle Bin
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 08:07 PM
  2. Replies: 188
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM
  4. Interesting Article on Pinkbike
    By sambs827 in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
  5. Interesting article on Pinkbike
    By tangaroo in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 251

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.