Pinch flating Ignitors- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pinch flating Ignitors

G'day all,

I'm currently running Maxxis Ignitors on Velocity Zvino on my Comandante and seem to be getting a few to many pinch flats. The Ventana is my first experience with the bigger wheels and I'm begining to think that maybe its the wheel size, I think I only had one pinch flat on my 26 inch bikes in 9 years. I started out running 35psi in the back and then stepped it up to 45 but still seem to have the problem. I dont do big jumps or drops and weigh approx. 75 kg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Recovering couch patato
    Are these road-narrow rims? Narrow rims see the tire lose less volume before bottoming out, thus requiring more psi, I would say. For head-on impacts, 29" doesn't exactly help either, for rolling-over it should be better though.
    My idea would be to save up for a new wheelbuild, with the 29mm Salsa Disc rims. Alex TD-17's are cheaper and anti-snakebite.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

Me Too

Learn to ride smoother you big wuss. You flatted the other day due to poor skill nothing else. You should also learn to change the tires a bit quicker as well I have never had 10 mins of my life wasted like that before.

Only Kidding Scott, I too have had 2 x flats but this is nothing more than I did have on 26" when running tubes. I like the wheels as you know I have them as well on mine , same tires as well but I too have found I need 40 PSI in the rear to stop pinch flats. I am still keeping 35 PSI in the front though. Both Flats I have had were on the rear.

Harmonius Wrench

My experience was the opposite

I felt that the Ignitors were stiffer in the casing than the previous WTB tires I had been running, so I always ran them at 30-35 psi, no more than that. I also run the Alex TD-17 rims that have the Anti Snake bite rim bead. I dead headed a few deep pot holes, a sign post laying in the road and a parking barrier at night and no pinch flats! I weigh 240 lbs, so no lightweight here! I also ran them hard off road over many roots and stones, but our trails are really pretty buff in comparison to alot of what I see pictured here on mtbr, so your mileage may vary!

I'd look at the rim as being the culprit there. I don't think those Zvino rims are all that wide, are they?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Bored
    I've been using Ignitors since August. I haven't had a flat on them. I run 26" lite tubes on IRD Clyde rims. It has been a very fast reliable set up. I also run anywhere between 32 and 35 psi in the rear. Our trails are often rooty. Some areas I go are rocky too. No problems.

Technique would be one thing I'd consider. Are you coming from Full sussy to a HT? Maybe consider lightening the load on the rear wheel when you hit an object. On F/S people have a tendancy to plow through things. Narrow rims as suggested by Cloxxki would be another consideration.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

DiscoCowboy

Run Ignitors

and have had 1 pinch flat. I've had them on Alex TD-17's, Salsa Delgado's and DT Swiss TK 7.1's. I usually run 28-32psi and weigh 165. I'd look at riding style and rims like mentioned in previous posts. Any chance there's a sharp edge on the rim or something in the tire?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run Ignitors on DT Swiss TK 7.1, and have not had a pinch flat yet. Knock on Wood! I am 235Lbs or 106.5 Kg. I run the front tire at 40psi, and the rear at 50 psi.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I've been running an Ignitor on my DeSalvo.
    I run it at 35psi at my 100kg/220lbs.

I do not pinchflat. Tire is mounted on a Rhynolite....

Bored
    I'm seeing a trend that most people not suffering from pinch flats are using a 24mm + rims.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedScott
    G'day all,

I'm currently running Maxxis Ignitors on Velocity Zvino on my Comandante and seem to be getting a few to many pinch flats. The Ventana is my first experience with the bigger wheels and I'm begining to think that maybe its the wheel size, I think I only had one pinch flat on my 26 inch bikes in 9 years. I started out running 35psi in the back and then stepped it up to 45 but still seem to have the problem. I dont do big jumps or drops and weigh approx. 75 kg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Check one or two of your flat tubes. See where the failure is.

Recovering couch patato
    I meant to advise using WIDER rims, not narrower. I've found myself that my 21mm WTB Speedmasters tended to hit rims more than my 22.5mm Salsa's and other slightly wider rims.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Must be the day for us Aussie's to have pinch flats Scott.
    Had my first one with the big wheels yesterday coming over the top from Bunyaville to Ironbark.
    Are you running the extra light tubes like Shannon????
    Could that be a cause??
    I have been using heavy-ass Kenda tubes which are fairly thick and wonder if that has saved me in the past.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Simple Scott, convert them to tubeless and don't worry about pinch flats again.

A certain other local rider you know, complained he was always getting pinch flats with his 26" version of the Ignitor...to the point where he gave me the tyre, which I've never had a problem with...

Really I am that slow

I Like goo

True goo is a sealent I really like... I wont pinch even with a 32c tire if I have that stuff in my tubes... I'll still ding the rim though... http://www.truegoo.com/ might help you cut down on pinches till you get some wider rims.

Don't know if it around where your at.

I am not really a fan of tubless systems...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay Ray
    Simple Scott, convert them to tubeless and don't worry about pinch flats again.

A certain other local rider you know, complained he was always getting pinch flats with his 26" version of the Ignitor...to the point where he gave me the tyre, which I've never had a problem with...
    I'd like to try ray but the Ignitors are so loose on the rims that they fall off as soon as there is no air in the tyre. being able to change a tyre with no tools is great but their are limits to how loose a tyre should fit on a wheel.

Recovering couch patato
    Add up your rimtape, the tire will hold tighter. 2 layers of Velox should do miracles. Or make one yourself from a thick old punctured 26" tube.

Dec 2005

Just Run Them Tubeless

I have been running a 29in Non-tubeless Ignitor 6 months and never had a flat. Leave your velo strip in the rim and put a stan's kit rim strip in and run the tire tubeless. You will never have pinch flating again. I have done this to the WTB tires on my moots. If you pick the corect tire you can usually make it tubless with stans. If you are too cheap to buy a 20in presta valve tube and do some surgery. Remember though none of this is approved by the manufacturer.

Bored
    So I looked up the rim you mentioned, and found this link:
    http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1436418.htm

Is this the same rim? If so, I guess we have a 700C tubeless compatable rim.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member

Tubes

Ah….. I remember those days. Tubes, Mechanical disk brakes, 26” wheeled bikes……….

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    So I looked up the rim you mentioned, and found this link:
    http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1436418.htm

Is this the same rim? If so, I guess we have a 700C tubeless compatable rim.
    Yep that be the rim in a special custom roll up for a 29er (the joy's of living close by and knowing some one with a bit of influence). So no rim strips for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0