pics of Karmas mounted on bike?- Mtbr.com
    I like endos

pics of Karmas mounted on bike?

anybody got any? Wondering what they look like/how big they are when actually on the bike.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Recovering couch patato
    I saw some on there. They look like MTB race tires. Nothing that unique. Not as narrow as some, wider than many weightweenie 26" race tires. I want them.

mtbr member

Just received a pair

Weighed in on my alpine scale at 530 grams each.
    Will mount on Stan olympic 29r rim and post photo's tomorrow.

mtbr member

I mounted a set yesterday - no pics

I mounted a set to our new Delgado 29er rims and measured them up. They measured 1.89", far from the 2.2" on the box. I wish they would just call it what it is. Look like a great race tire. They are super light. I cut 140+ grams of rotating wait.

Perfect for a race spec'd 29er. I bet they will feel perfect and fast at Sea Otter.

Jason
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how about this when I first measured them they were 48mm wide after a couple of weeks and a few hours of riding they have streched out a little, the front is now measuring at 50mm and the rear is at 49mm casing width.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering couch patato
    ORM, what rims are those again?
    Yeah, tires stretch. Light tires seem to stretch more.
    That to me is a decent width, just nothing to do with the 2.2" they call it.
    HAS ANYONE ever asked Kenda about this?

Wes
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If these are measuring at 1.9 then maybe they would also be a good choice for Northeast winter mud. Anyone tried them yet in those conditions? That tread looks a little scary for wet rocks and roots but super fast for hardpack.

EPO
    Training in Mexico

Stans and Karmas?

Anyone run these with Stans yet?

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The rims are bontrager clox. Wes I'm in upstate New York way upstate, every ride so far has ben in mud and slop and in couple of minutes I'll be back out riding in it, its over 50dergress out right now whoo hoo!! gotta ride.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORM
    The rims are bontrager clox. Wes I'm in upstate New York way upstate, every ride so far has ben in mud and slop and in couple of minutes I'll be back out riding in it, its over 50dergress out right now whoo hoo!! gotta ride.
    Cool. How are they handling those muddy, sloppy conditions? Roots? How well do they clear the gunk? Thanks for the reports.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go

more pics

clean tire pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

SUBLIM8er
    How 'bout Stans compatability? Do they hold air? Air up ok? Are the sidewalls holding up in rocks and roots? If I ride over a sharp rock will I be walking like with a Nokian NBX Lite? If you can't run 'em with Stans then the weight advantages are, well...gone.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    How 'bout Stans compatability? Do they hold air? Air up ok? Are the sidewalls holding up in rocks and roots? If I ride over a sharp rock will I be walking like with a Nokian NBX Lite? If you can't run 'em with Stans then the weight advantages are, well...gone.

Frankly, I don't do stans and 29ers. I know that there are lots of others here that do, but I can never keep the combinations straight that work and that don't. All I do is throw a 125 gram lightweight 26"x1.95-2.25" tube in and go. I haven't had a flat in a long time. As far as these sidewalls....I think that they are the thinest sidewalls of any 29er tire I have used. I can't comment on the long term viability of them either. Just got them on a week or two ago. I really like them though, compared to Klaws, Fast Traks and Conti Vapors. I ride in north western Oregon. Lots of roots and some rocks. No worries at all so far. So far I have been running 40 lbs of pressure. I ran 32-35 in the klaws and fast traks. they definately need more pressure than those other tires because of less volume.

regarding the weight advantages: with running lightweight tube the weight advantages are minimal, maybe 20-30 grams.

If I was getting flats all of the time I might do it....but as I don't....
    Last edited by Law; 02-15-2006 at 03:23 PM.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

mtbr member

Stans

first ride yesterday on the karmas with Stans solution on Olympic 29r rims.
    All worked fine. Had to use tyre levers to get onto the rim, but that is probably good.
    Now to see if I can destroy the tyres on the rocks.
    It will have to wait as we had 4 inches snow overnight in Boulder.

mtbr member

?

please correct me if i'm wrong, but, did i see that the new karmas are made w/ the stick-e rubber? does that mean that they are one day race tires? what do you think the life expectency on these tires are?
    Simple Living, High Thinking

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No they are not stick-e, but they do grip very well

Recovering couch patato
    How do they roll? What comparison do y'all have? Fastest combo I've got it probably XR front, FT/Nano/modded XR Front in the back. Running latex tubes.
    I've got a set of Karma's on their way to me, and I do have Stan's wheels, older ZTR style rim 390g each... Please let these be the ultimate allround race tires for the 2006 season!

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They roll realy well, I'd say kinda like the michelin light s but not as good as a python,sorry
    about the 26" tire references. I'm realy happy with this tire and I've never rode a kenda that I liked before.

Recovering couch patato
    Member of the Month will go to the first that does a back-to-back tubed rolling test between the Karma and a Fast Trak or Nano, at the same pressure. Time difference to roll off a long moderate hill, ca 15mph average, from a dead start without pedaling or braking.
    I don't have any elevation here to do such tests. Expect the Karma's here in a couple days, oooh the anticipation!!

Members who have read this thread: 0