Picking out my first full suspension bike after 26 years of riding.........- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Picking out my first full suspension bike after 26 years of riding.........

I have been riding for a long time but only on hardtails. I raced some when I was younger but haven't raced in nearly 20 years due to work and family commitments although I've remained a casual rider. I am starting to have more time to ride now and have been riding several times a week. I'd like to start doing some xc racing again and like pushing the pace on long rides. My current ride is a TI hardtail. It is a great bike but I could use some relief on my back when riding rocky trails. Budget is around $4,000.00

- I was hoping for something around 26lbs or less.

- I would like to have the suspension remain active while pedaling over rocks, especially when climbing long baby head climbs. Are XC bikes plush enough for this?

- I would like the suspension to be efficient when standing and pedaling. Do you need a lockout for this?

I basically want a plush XC bike that can pedal efficiently. I am not going over huge jumps and am more concerned about all the high frequency stuff that beats the crap out of you over a 5 hour ride.

I have my eye on a Trek Top Fuel 9.7, a Santa Cruz blur or tallboy and an Intense Sniper but am opened to other brands. I have done a few test rides but it is hard to really get a feel on a short test ride and demo's aren't typically an option in this area.

Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Have you seen the Scott Spark? I had the opportunity to try one out and man, that thing is nice, it has that dual remote lockout (the lever actuates BOTH front and rear suspension in tandem) feature so you can leave the suspension ON or with a click of a lever it goes to medium then another click for FULL lockout.

Its nowhere near as light as you want it, coming in at 32 pounds for the Aluminum bike and the full carbon bike is at 21 pounds (though you are gonna pay a hefty price for that weight savings).

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=265228009

mtbr member
    I think you should get a 26” wheel bike to celebrate your 26 years off the bike. #26aintdead

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just got my first FS bike after 23 years of riding. Keep an open mind and spend some time on a proper short travel 29er trail bike. It’s a game changer. Something like the Evil Following or Transition Smuggler for example. Enjoy the ride!