Picked Up a Trek Marlin 6 as First 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Picked Up a Trek Marlin 6 as First 29er

Had made an earlier thread a few days ago in the 27.5 forum. I was pretty set on going with a 27.5 after test riding a Pitch Comp 27.5. I ultimately stopped at the Trek Store and test road a Marlin 6 even though I was set on Dual Sport 3. Started liking the 29er the more I road and ended up picking up the 2018 Marlin 6 for $540.

I know the stock fork is crap on the stock Marlin 6 and looking at replacing as soon as I can. Any shock recommendations? Any other tips, tricks, thoughts on the Marlin 6?

I will close by saying I have no problem upgrading as I go since that is the same path I took with my stock 2003 Rockhopper.

Bikesexual
    Congrats! You can do Suntour upgrade to a Raidon air fork for$200.

There is a long thread here about it, google "suntour upgrade mtbr" and you should find it.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's mostly going to depend on the headset and axle.

mtbr member
    It's a solid bike, but nothing super special about it that could benefit from minor tweaks. Comfortable seat, grips, and pedals. If you ride a lot of rocks and roots, consider gorilla tape or split tube tubeless for flat protection. Otherwise, tube is fine.

And obviously the fork. It's acceptable for gravel, asphalt, and smooth dirt. For those, I'd rather have the $50 steel rigid fork from nashbar (which is what I'm using now, simple and steel and fun on trails). For rocks, a simple upgrade to the raidon through the suntour program is worth it. Even getting an $80 suntour XCR would be a huge upgrade. 32mm stanchions and hydraulic rebound. Spring instead of air and the heavier steel stanchions. Solid workhose that'll last a while with no maintenance, but at a loss of performance if you're not in the spring's stock weight zone (~180 lbs).
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    It's a solid bike, but nothing super special about it that could benefit from minor tweaks. Comfortable seat, grips, and pedals. If you ride a lot of rocks and roots, consider gorilla tape or split tube tubeless for flat protection. Otherwise, tube is fine.

And obviously the fork. It's acceptable for gravel, asphalt, and smooth dirt. For those, I'd rather have the $50 steel rigid fork from nashbar (which is what I'm using now, simple and steel and fun on trails). For rocks, a simple upgrade to the raidon through the suntour program is worth it. Even getting an $80 suntour XCR would be a huge upgrade. 32mm stanchions and hydraulic rebound. Spring instead of air and the heavier steel stanchions. Solid workhose that'll last a while with no maintenance, but at a loss of performance if you're not in the spring's stock weight zone (~180 lbs).
    Interesting mention again about Suntour. The 2018 Marlin 6 actually comes with an RST Gila fork. As for my weight I am about 220lbs.

Couple of forks I am looking are the RockShox Recon RL R, RockShox 30, Manitou Markhor, and Manitou Machete

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Machete if it fits your headset and wheel hub. ABS+ damping and 32mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    Interesting mention again about Suntour. The 2018 Marlin 6 actually comes with an RST Gila fork. As for my weight I am about 220lbs.
    Most entry forks are the suntour XCT, but the RST Gila is right there along with it quality wise. And the suntour upgrade program works against all brands of forks, not just suntour OEM forks.

I'm partial towards the rockshox recon silver. I've had one on my bike for about 5 years now. heavy steel stanchions, but they are bulletproof.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Most entry forks are the suntour XCT, but the RST Gila is right there along with it quality wise. And the suntour upgrade program works against all brands of forks, not just suntour OEM forks.

I'm partial towards the rockshox recon silver. I've had one on my bike for about 5 years now. heavy steel stanchions, but they are bulletproof.
    The recon is definitely on my short list.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another vote for the SR Suntour upgrade program.
    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

Used it to upgrade an OLD fork to their Auron and that has been a great fork ever since. They are definitely another brand that is doing great things right now but flying under the radar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Another vote for the SR Suntour upgrade program.
    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

Used it to upgrade an OLD fork to their Auron and that has been a great fork ever since. They are definitely another brand that is doing great things right now but flying under the radar.
    So are the current version XCR's good? What are parts availability for Suntour?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    The recon is definitely on my short list.
    I ordered a Recon RL R with OneLoc for $319 shipped. I ended not going the Manitou route because they have a 41mm offset versus the RockShox 51mm offset. 51mm is what the bike comes with.

mtbr member
    Congratulations on your 29'er! That's a sharp looking bike.