Picked up a Paragon 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Picked up a Paragon 29er

I am new to the forum. There are several interesting posts. Anyway I just sold a Cake 1 and bought a 19inch Paragon 29er. It is all stock except I had them take off the LX front derailure and put on the new SRAM front derailur. They also put a SRAM chain on.

The bike is beautiful. This is my first 29er. I was looking for a bike with good components but one that was not as complicated at a Full Suspension bike. I am hoping that the 29inch wheels will make up for the fact that it does not have FS. The Cake was nice but there was just so much stuff going on with it. When I look at the Paragon I can't believe how clean it looks.

Unfortunately we are getting a snow storm here in Michigan right now. I will have to wait to take it out for the first ride.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    I am new to the forum. There are several interesting posts. Anyway I just sold a Cake 1 and bought a 19inch Paragon 29er. It is all stock except I had them take off the LX front derailure and put on the new SRAM front derailur. They also put a SRAM chain on.

The bike is beautiful. This is my first 29er. I was looking for a bike with good components but one that was not as complicated at a Full Suspension bike. I am hoping that the 29inch wheels will make up for the fact that it does not have FS. The Cake was nice but there was just so much stuff going on with it. When I look at the Paragon I can't believe how clean it looks.

Unfortunately we are getting a snow storm here in Michigan right now. I will have to wait to take it out for the first ride.
    Snows coming down at least an inch an hour here in PA too!

Thanks for the post; I've been looking at the Rig (SS 29 that never seems to want to venture out into the market) and have also looked at the Paragon and the Xcaliber too. If you are able, post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Here are a couple of pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of the new bike.
    Last edited by Ranger Pride; 11-26-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Recovering couch patato
    First, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

Very nice bike, congrats! Nice to see that Fisher riders stay local to the brand, and give 29" an honest change. The looks of the Paragon must have made that decision a lot easier for you...

Some questions : Is the bike yet to be setup for you, or do you have a really long torso and shortish arms? I've never seen so little seatpost exposed on a Fisher. If I'm correct, no wonder you're a Fisher rider, the long toptubes are just great for people with less length in the legs. The low toptube does help make the seat look a bit higher.

Also, interesting that you chose the X front derailer. I'd love to try on as well, it just looks right. But is the clearance to the rear tire as tight as it looks from the pic?

I hope the storm will calm down soon for you, get that bike out in the snow asap! I'd kill for a good snowride right now, just wintersports on the TV, I get soaked from the rain on my daily commutes, and the trails are a mess.

Do come back to post your first experiences!

Small tip : if you still have some fresh lighter 26" tubes laying around that would work with 2.3" tires, they may work well on your 29" wheels to drop a bit of weight, the stock Bontrager tubes are said to be a bit overbuilt. Your tires are great though, light and grippy, I love mine.

Enjoy the new bike!

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bunker Hill Bikes

Welcome!

Ranger Pride, where do you live in Michigan? MichiganClydesdale and I live in the Traverse City/Elk Rapids area. My 29er wheels start rolling when I here of a new 29er member from Michigan.

I have a 2004 GF X-Cal that is equipped with all Sram and Bontrager components. I will soon be adding a new 29er to my stable. Details coming later.

Take care and welcome to the family,

Chad

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks to everyone that responded with a warm welcome. I want to answer a fiew of the questions that were asked.

1. The bike has not been adjusted to fit me yet. I will work on that with a friend and based on feel as I take the first couple of rides. I actually thought of moving the seat up before I took the picture but decided not to mess with it until I can get it out to ride. I am 6'1" and about 200 pounds so I think the bike is going to feel great. I would say I am pretty proportionate to answer the question on leg and arm length.

2. The front derailure is fairly close to the back tire but not as close as it looks in the picture. We wanted to give the SRAM a try and also make the bike all SRAM. Hopefully this will not create a problem. If it does it is a simple fix.

3. I live in Grand Rapids, MI and am looking forward to getting up to the Traverse City area to ride Boyne. We are planning on entering a couple of teams in the 24 hour race on Memorial weekend.(I still have to get permission from the wife) I am hoping that the Paragon will be a good choice for this type of racing.

I spent a lot of time reading in this forum and reviewing bikes. It really came down to another FS bike and this one. As mentioned in my first post I wanted a simplet bike but hoped to still maintain the compfortable ride that my Cake provided. We will see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Would I be correct in saying that the X-Caliber and Paragon have identical frames/forks, and that the difference between the two bikes lies solely in the component spec?

Harmonius Wrench

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Would I be correct in saying that the X-Caliber and Paragon have identical frames/forks, and that the difference between the two bikes lies solely in the component spec?
    That, and the colors are different.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com