Picked It Up! 2010 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Picked It Up! 2010 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er

The wait is over finally.

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 29er Frame Large (With brain)
    Full XT gruppo
    Magura Marta SL Brakes
    Fox F29 RLC FIT
    XTR pedals
    Roval Control El 29er wheels
    Specialized Fast Trak 29 x 2.0 tires (I might change to the Captain 2.2 in the rear)
    Rocca Locking grips
    Phenom saddle
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Thomson X4 stem
    Easton Monkeylite SL bar

Grand total of 28.04 lb

Sorry I can't post pics, hopefully by this weekend I can post the pics. I'm really happy how it turned out. Still haven't had time for a ride, hopefully this weekend. I can't wait for ya'll to see the pics though.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I'd suggest keeping the Fast Trak in back and using the Captain 2.2 up front.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Intencity
    The wait is over finally.

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 29er Frame Large (With brain)
    Full XT gruppo
    Magura Marta SL Brakes
    Fox F29 RLC FIT
    XTR pedals
    Roval Control El 29er wheels
    Specialized Fast Trak 29 x 2.0 tires (I might change to the Captain 2.2 in the rear)
    Rocca Locking grips
    Phenom saddle
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Thomson X4 stem
    Easton Monkeylite SL bar

Grand total of 28.04 lb

Sorry I can't post pics, hopefully by this weekend I can post the pics. I'm really happy how it turned out. Still haven't had time for a ride, hopefully this weekend. I can't wait for ya'll to see the pics though.
    I'm guessing you bought just the frame yes? From who and how much? (if you don't mind of course) sounds great looking forward to some pictures....CF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeah, I got the frame and then pieced it together from there. I paid msrp on it.

Why the 2.2 in the front? What does that do to the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Because its full suspension you don't need fat and heavy tires, they just makes the bike feel slow. Having the front lifted by a larger tire can also hinder you on climbs. The hardcore guys on here ride rigid single speeds with fat low pressure tires. If you do that on your FSR you'll just pinch flat and roll unnecessary weight. Pressure a bit on the low side does help make them roll easier but running your front fork a bit on the low pressure side does the same thing. Full suspension also encourages you to go faster than you probably should sometimes. On my FSR I think 2.0 front and 1.8 rear is a reasonable combo. I like to keep the front fork with barely enough pressure and run the rear shock around the recommended or higher pressure. This kind of setup is good for long climbs, keeping the front end down (and locked) and the back high and efficient. Someone on the board recommended you should adjust your fork pressure so that it bottoms out once every on every ride. That sounds like good advice to me.
    Last edited by esXso; 02-11-2010 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't really understand your answer. Articles I've read concerning the science of rolling resistance and such have suggested that wider tires actually improve rolling resistance (for mountain riding) and increase speed. From what I understand the wider tires gives more contact to the ground, equalling more energy moving you forward. Have I misunderstood?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esXso
    Full suspension also encourages you to go faster than you probably should sometimes.
    WTF? No such thing.

On my FSR I think 2.0 front and 1.8 rear is a reasonable combo.
    What do you ride, Mr. Reasonable, buffed-out raked trails with no roots or rocks? Wussy XC courses? The FSR is a sweet AM bike, deserving of some big meats.

Throw some 2.4's on there, tubeless, at 20-25 psi (max), then shred like it's 1984.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No way, man. I hate broken bones. I face long climbs everywhere I go here in the mountains, and I like it. I take it easy downhill. Live to ride another day.

Members who have read this thread: 0