Paradox AL29er style- Mtbr.com
    err, 27.5+

... and if we just ... Paradox AL29er style

Everyone likes a new bike intro thread Cross-posting this for those who don't make it over to the Banshee board.

So now that I have some dirt on her I figure it is a good time to put the complete photos up. Sorry, but I like to photograph my bicycles in their natural state. That usually includes some dirt on them

Full side view:

Cable routing detail:

Cable routing detail:

Drivetrain:

Rear end:

Front end:

Fork:

Build spec:
    XL Paradox
    2009 Reba Team Maxle
    CC S3 headset
    LX 2pc cranks, 22-32-saint bash guard(small and light)
    LX shifters
    Saint rear, SLX front derailleur
    Wheelset: Saint rear hub, WTB front hub, WTB Speeddisc AM hoops, tubeless conversion
    Tires: Ardent 2.25 F, Michelin XC AT 2.1 R
    XT M760 brakes, 7in/6in rotors
    Easton bars/stem
    Whatever seat I can get out the junk bin (I am now officially broke )

By my calculations the build cost was just over $1600
    Could have done it cheaper, but I really didn't want to compromise strength or function.

Initial ride impressions:
    I got out for about 1.5hr yesterday. Trail conditions were not too great, so mostly riding in the rocks, road, and fire road.

So how does it ride?
    The frame is STIFF. That is good and bad. Power transfer is instantaneous. Steering is incredibly accurate. Handling is confident and playful. It is easy to get the front end up. The bike manuals well, something I haven't seen on a 29er before. And yes, it does feel flickable when you get the tires off the ground.

Vertical compliance?
    Not so much. I remember seeing an i-bike interview where Jay eluded to the fact that there may be more compliance in the tire/wheel than the frame. I believe that is true, cause I can't detect any bounce or flex coming from the chainstays/seatstays. The ride is about the same as my previous 26in SC Chameleon and Specialized RockHopper frames. I had hoped it would be a bit more comfortable.

Overall I am happy with the build and the frameset lives up to it's billing. Will the snappy handling and fun nature of this be enough to backseat the comfort issue??? Time will tell.

Final thoughts?
    This bike is begging for a shorter stem and wider bars. The 685mm width Monkeybars and 85mm stem felt okay but I found myself wanting the shorter reach and riding at the very end of the handlebars. I have ordered up some 711mm bars and a 65mm stem to try out.
    Last edited by AL29er; 02-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    That didn't take too long for you to come back to adult size wheels Did you keep the Heckler?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well done AL..........................CF.

not so super...
    nice. better get a mouth guard for riding the rocks!
    Nothing to see here.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    Did you keep the Heckler?
    Of course. Kiddie wheels are where it is at for 6in travel bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    nice. better get a mouth guard for riding the rocks!
    No kidding. I rode down Tollgate the other day and it was brutal. The geometry is sick, but I definitely can't carry as much speed as on my FS rig on the really rough trails.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Final thoughts?
    This bike is begging for a shorter stem and wider bars. The 685mm width Monkeybars and 85mm stem felt okay but I found myself wanting the shorter reach and riding at the very end of the handlebars. I have ordered up some 711mm bars and a 65mm stem to try out.
    Installed the 65mm stem and 711mm wide bars today...

Perfect
    It is way shorter from the saddle tip to the center of the bars than I am familiar with, but it works. Might match up on reach/stack measurements, but I haven't checked that out yet.

The short stem gives instant change in direction. It is pretty awesome to climb tech terrain with it. Not even a second though about threading the needle though a rock crack.

The wide bars and short stem are the ticket for guiding the big front wheel. No longer does it feel like I am lagging. There is no 29er lethargy. Just crisp and snappy handling.

For the record I am about 1.5in shorter from saddle tip to stem than my FS 26er rig.

err, 27.5+
    Dang, not sure what happened to my pictures. Someone over at MTBR must have been messing with the database

drivetrain (reloaded)

Full side view (reloaded, still not updated to show my current bars/stem)

poser Administrator
    Funny i was going to say that your bike seems to have 2 personalities: fat bike and AM hardtail.

How does it ride compliance wise? Seems like the rear might be a tad stout, sore feet and all that.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

err, 27.5+
    Nah, ride is that of a stiff aluminum hardtail. That said, I think Banshee did a good job at keeping some compliance in it. Biggest thing I notice on this bike is that my upper body gets a lot more work in rough terrain as I hover over the saddle and work to hold the smoothest lines.

I think Jay was the one that mentioned it, but there appears to be more compliance out of the rear wheel than the frame itself. 29er wheels have a bit more give/flex to them

Members who have read this thread: 0