Panaracer Rampage- Mtbr.com
    Did I catch a niner+?

New question here. Panaracer Rampage

How are people liking this as a front tire specifically? I use a WTB Nano Raptor on the rear and I hear this tire up front makes a perfect combo. How is rolling resistance on asphalt? I am currently using a Weirwolf LT up front but it is a damn heavy tire.

pink

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was running an SB8 rear, rampage front on my Air9 and Rampage F&R on my Canzo. Didn't like it as a rear tire so much. A little too much rolling resistance for me and wore pretty quickly since I ride to teh trail head and back from home which adds about 8-10 miles of road riding to my rides. Love it as a front tire though.

Currently running Ignitor/crossmark combo on my Canzo and really like it. I'm considering throwing a Rampage front and nano/sb8/crossmark on the rear for my Salsa El Mariachi.

I'd say go for it! Great traction, high volume, awesome tire!

Uncle

It's the only front tire out there :D

For me anyway. Have had a Rampage on the front from day one, and I ride my rigid 9er just about anywhere I'll ride my fs bike. Works great -- traction, rolls fine, and can run low pressure and get a bit of good cush. Haven't tried any other on the front, and don't plan to any time soon.

my 2 cents.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    How are people liking this as a front tire specifically? I use a WTB Nano Raptor on the rear and I hear this tire up front makes a perfect combo. How is rolling resistance on asphalt? I am currently using a Weirwolf LT up front but it is a damn heavy tire.

pink
    If you're looking to drop weight with the Rampage - recommend you check out Shiggy's spec's listed here --> http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs...-specs?start=1

Rampage weighed in more than the WeirWolf.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I race with a Rampage on the front and an ignitor in the back. It's definitely worth the weight. I don't really notice any extra rolling resistance on the front, but I do notice the huge amount of cornering traction and stability through the rough stuff it provides
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    +?
    I've got a Rampage in the front and Ignitor in the back as well. Rigid in New England. I love em'. Sticks to anything when it's dry, works about as well as you could hope when it's as slippery as slippery gets.

Closekids.com
    Anyone try the Rampage vs the Nevegal on the front? I've been pretty darn happy with the Nev, but the Rampage was another I was considering.

mtbr member
    How are people liking this as a front tire specifically? I use a WTB Nano Raptor on the rear and I hear this tire up front makes a perfect combo.
    I have this exact setup. I've really liked this combo. I had Rampages front and rear and agree on the rolling resistance and wear comments in the rear. The change to the Nano in the rear made a huge difference. Great cornering grip up front. Don't notice any lack of grip in the rear either. I want so badly to try the Gorilla Ghetto Tubeless conversion with these on my Gordo's, but am a little hesitant still. The Rampage is not known to have a tight bead, and the Gordo's are explicitly not approved to be used tubeless.

mtbr member
    Front tires I've used off the top of my head:
    Mt King 2.4, 2.2
    Intense whatever it's called.
    Ignitor.
    ExiWolf
    MotoRaptor.
    Nevegal.
    Stout.
    Ramgapge.

The Rampage is DEFINITELY the best all-around performer on the list. Durable, fast enough, and beefy enough . The Stout is beefier, the Mtn King 2.4works better in thick fall leaves or mud, the Ignitor is pretty good but just isn't as durable or beefy, the mt king 2.2 and motoraptors are useless, the nevegal de-laminated(a layer of rubber literally peeled off) proobaby a bad tire, and the Intense is a suprising good tire that I hold out for race use now.

But, overall, the Rampage gets the highest marks from me.

Jul 2007
    I agree 100% with the above posts regarding traction/wear/durability, etc. Great tire.

It has also been a great tire to run tubeless (on ZTR 355/Arch rims). Initial setup was cake and other than a recharge of the Stan's every 3-4 months I haven't had to think twice about them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wish I had a scale as I have both Weirwolf LT's and Rampages and would have never guessed that the Rampage was heavier..

is buachail foighneach me
    i've prefered the stout up front to the rampage. not sure i could quantify my reasons if i had to, but i just like it better. it *might* have something to do with my favorite type of beer and my least favorite light heavyweight mma fighter.....

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Front tires I've used off the top of my head:
    Mt King 2.4, 2.2
    Intense whatever it's called.
    Ignitor.
    ExiWolf
    MotoRaptor.
    Nevegal.
    Stout.
    Ramgapge.

The Rampage is DEFINITELY the best all-around performer on the list. Durable, fast enough, and beefy enough . The Stout is beefier, the Mtn King 2.4works better in thick fall leaves or mud
    I may look at the MK2.4 for this reason fall is upon us here in MN.

pink

mtbr member
    Well, not according to my accurate hand weighing it doesn't My Rampage definitely weighs less than my WW LT.

As to the OP's question...........I like the Rampage alot as a front tyre, that rolls pretty good for the grip it provides. Definitely like it more up front than the WW LT, but that is definitely something that depends on your own terrain. If you're in some serious tech terrain I actually like Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    If you're looking to drop weight with the Rampage - recommend you check out Shiggy's spec's listed here --> http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs...-specs?start=1

Rampage weighed in more than the WeirWolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    Wish I had a scale as I have both Weirwolf LT's and Rampages and would have never guessed that the Rampage was heavier..
    Shiggy has a scale. Life is good
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had my Rampage on two bikes and two sets of wheels for over a year and a half. Lots and lots of rocky miles. About 1500 if I had to guess. I've been ridding 12-15 mile to the trail lately and it is still wearing well. Its loud on the street but rolls fine for the size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have used/using the rampage as tubeless front and rear for 1 1/2 year now. I live in the desert southwest....Sharp shaley rocks...Hot temps....weigh 205 with gear....on a 6 inch behemoth. They hold up great. Little wear..and resist cacti spines well.....Go for it...

Erling

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Spec Captain is a good front tire. More XC and less volume, but it does stick well considering how fast it rolls.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Anyone tried Rampage front, Ardent rear?

I've been racing on Ardent front, crossmark rear all summer. But I'm finished with racing for the year and need a combo to cope with some muddier riding conditions I'm likely to encounter shortly.

mtbr member
    I went out for my first two rides on a rampage on my rear tire, mountain king up front this weekend. I really liked it. The tire is about the same volume as the exiwolf it replaced, but more traction going up the dirt around here. It's a little slower, but the extra traction was nice. The first ride was on the local difficult trail, the second on the dirt roads around my friends house. Definitely not the best tire for dirt roads, but I kept up surprisingly well to him, on his touring bike with 32's.

banned
    Sep 2007

pink

I love it as a front tire on dirt, it's a bit slow and noisy on asphalt.

If you want fast on asphalt and everything else, pony up for a 2.4 Racing Ralph up front and a 2.25 or 2.4 in the rear.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Anyone try the Rampage vs the Nevegal on the front? I've been pretty darn happy with the Nev, but the Rampage was another I was considering.

I have... the Nevegal is noticeably slower, a bit softer and has a sharper radius on it, at a 2.2. You really need to roll it on the edge compared to the Rampage. My nod goes to the Rampage, it just does everything so well in the areas I ride in for a front tire.

mtbr member
    Hey Boomin', missed your question and YES I have used both on the front. In CO I really like the Nev up front on the rocky/tech terrain and Rampage in the rear as an ultimate traction combo. The combo I really want to try is Ardent REAR and Rampage FRONT would be fantastic, although I didn't get to try it while there last year.

Just so you know what I've actually physically ridden, I have run.........Ignitor F & R, Crossmark REAR/Ignitor FRONT, Crossmark REAR/Racing Ralph 2.25" FRONT, Crossmark REAR/Rampage FRONT, RR 2.25" REAR/Rampage FRONT, Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT all on a Niner RIP9 XL and I weigh about 180-190lbs geared up.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member

Oh Yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    The combo I really want to try is Ardent REAR and Rampage FRONT would be fantastic, although I didn't get to try it while there last year.
    Hey LyNx, you're spot on with the Ardent(r)/Rampage(f) instincts. Have probably 200 miles with this combo including a few big days in Crested Butte and it absolutely ROCKED

The only thing I haven't really tested it on is the REALLY loose scree we've got here, but I'm thinking it will still work great. I might flip the Ardent and run it backwards on the rear if I notice a lot of slipping in the loose stuff, but with the bigger wheels, this combo really hooks up. Cheers,

E

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'll be changing my tyres over to that combo tonight then for an upcoming trip

mtbr member
    Good to know, as that's terrain I ride when up in CO. I've got the tyres, just for down here it's really overkill and would really make riding the trails quite boring - just switched over to Mtn.King 2.2" REAR/ Bonti MudX FRONT (for the rainy season now starting proper) from Ignitor F & R which was working superb for down here and kept things just interesting enough on our tech I used the Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT on the Monarch Crest trail and the combo worked really well, but I think it was really overkill there as well and the Ardent REAR/Rampage FRONT would have done just fine. As to the scree, if you mean anything like what's up on Monarch, then I don't think anything really works that well, just let go the breaks and hold on

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmeE
    Hey LyNx, you're spot on with the Ardent(r)/Rampage(f) instincts. Have probably 200 miles with this combo including a few big days in Crested Butte and it absolutely ROCKED

The only thing I haven't really tested it on is the REALLY loose scree we've got here, but I'm thinking it will still work great. I might flip the Ardent and run it backwards on the rear if I notice a lot of slipping in the loose stuff, but with the bigger wheels, this combo really hooks up. Cheers,

E

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Rampage is very similar to the Nevegal...tread pattern is awfully similar but I think the Nevegal is a bit softer...which can be a good or bad thing.

On to the subjective. I've been riding the front Rampage for a bit of time now and I'm digging it. Really good cornering traction and braking traction. Oh and the volume is very very nice! I've been riding dry dry hardpack and loose and I can really trust the tire to hook up properly.

As a rear tire I wouldn't recommend it, it is a pretty slow tire and wears quickly. Ardent didn't last too long in the rear and the Ignitior does pretty well, not perfect but reliable and a good climber.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008

Ghetto notes

I just mounted my tires up (Rampage front/Prowler SL rear) using gorilla tape onto Mavic 719 rims. Only trouble was getting the prowler to air up initially. Once aired up they both sealed up nicely.
    Have not heard any talk about the prowler but I really like it on the rear. I was running a rampage front and rear and put the prowler on last week (already had one)-feels quite a bit better to me.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    I switched to the Rampage up front this year, and it's been really amazing. I have a Kenda Klaw in the back, and that combo has been great here in NJ. I'm riding this combo on a set of Bontrager Rhythm Elites, and its been really nice.
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

Members who have read this thread: 0