Paint my 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paint my 29er

Single Speed Junkie

Paint my 29er

Been thinking of painting a vintage type frame and been kicking around a few ideas. Pretty much settled on a two tone style paint, but how to paint and which colors. Initially was thinking a poppy red & vanilla white, or burn orange & vanilla white, or another color combo would be a light granite & cascade green. Then again just attended the local auto show and found a few more ideas. Here is the challenge how to paint a vintage frame keeping the period look with refreshed paint? Got photos or thoughts please share.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Vintage 29"er?

What you got there?

LP

Virtus pre nummis
    Check out your local powder coater! For $50 to $100.. bucks you can get it done professionally! We have a local guy that paints frames for $55.00. Not a bad price for powder coating.

Gigantic Hawk
    Vintage grey/green frame with creme panels and brick red lettering and stripping.

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    mix and match colors here: http://ralcolor.com/

How about powder blue and creme?
    Candy sparkle red and silver?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    Vintage grey/green frame with creme panels and brick red lettering and stripping.
    Wanna see that
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Some Ideas:

Check out Curtis' Flickr page for a whole host of good ideas for vintage paint schemes. He has a really good eye for those things and a lot of great examples.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/retrotec-inglis-cycles/

What's the ETA on number 3? I can't wait to see it.

Tim

PS. I prefer the earth tones, granite and green would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Pereira's Roaring 29er even modeled after a 20s Elgin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    Check out your local powder coater! For $50 to $100.. bucks you can get it done professionally! We have a local guy that paints frames for $55.00. Not a bad price for powder coating.
    Interesting thread. I'd be interested in powdercoating an older frame as well. Does one have to strip the old paint before the powder coater can do his thing?

Virtus pre nummis
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kHCh1E6REo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kHCh1E6REo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up! I'm guessing after the frame is powdercoated you use a dremel of sorts to sand away the paint where you fasten the brakes, bb, etc? Or do you have the shop wipe off the "clinging" paint before it gets baked?

Virtus pre nummis
    Not sure how that works. You need to check with your local powder coater.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ive done powder coating in the past on a small scale for restoration parts . generally after the metal is prepped and cleaned really well we will pre-bake the part to get the oils out of the metal, allow to cool, wipe it down with wax and grease remove then shoot the powder. if u have parts u dont want powder on u are correct with wiping it off, or hit it with a scotchbrite rolloc wheel to expose the metal, or use powdercoaters tape made to go in the oven. or even corks. i myself prefer paint to powder. the final finish is a lot nicer. powder tends to have more orange peel and a less brilliant hue.. probly wont matter on a bike frame since its void of flat surfaces to see it. both can be buffed out thou. cheap powders arent as hard as most people believe, they chip and scratch easy and there are some clearcoat paints on the market that are very scratch resistant and will rival a quality powder job. when it comes to both u get what u pay for.
    i personally would really love to paint my bike but that voids fishers warranty.
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

Virtus pre nummis
    Well I understand your point, however since every automobile made in this country is painted using this method today, so there certianly is something to be said for this method of painting. As people say there are good paint jobs and bad paint jobs, so I believe that it depends on the powder coater, there good ones and there are bad ones!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    sorry if i am miss understanding here but are u saying every automobile is powder coated?

you are correct with good vs bad on both powder and paint. if u go the powder route make sure they are using quality powders. ive been in the automotive industry for over 15 years and it still bewilders me that people think that a $250 "ambassador" paint job is equal to the $3000 entry level paint job of a reputable shop but then will spend $5000 on a set of wheels on a $1000 clunker......
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by mydixiwrecked00
    sorry if i am miss understanding here but are u saying every automobile is powder coated?

you are correct with good vs bad on both powder and paint. if u go the powder route make sure they are using quality powders. ive been in the automotive industry for over 15 years and it still bewilders me that people think that a $250 "ambassador" paint job is equal to the $3000 entry level paint job of a reputable shop but then will spend $5000 on a set of wheels on a $1000 clunker......
    Not at all! It is just that most car companies today are reverting to this method of painting their automobiles today! The paint adhears to the body parts much better and it is less wasteful and more economical to paint in this manner. You are absolutely correct about the $250 paint job vs the $3000 paint job and I hope that I did not imply that in this discussion.

My point was and is, that for the price, comparing the time and effort that one must put into a good paint job, that is far more economical to take a bike frame to a powder coater than it is to sit down with a piece of sand paper and spend countless hours preparing your frame to paint it yourself!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    we use the same process. its actually similar base and clear thats been used for years( with many improvements by the chemical manufactures) just electrostatic-ally charged via a ground cable taking advantage of the spray guns(hvlp) natural postiive charge then ran through a IR bake cycle in the booth( or assembly line) cuts down on product waste of overspray..the ir cycle jsut cures the paint faster....kind of similar to powder using static. but in powder the bake cycle melts and sets the powder into a shell. factory paint job however are very low quality. since the late 80s theres been many lawsuits against makers for "peelers". mitsubishi is going through it currently.

as for getting back on subject i can offer this bit of help. if u really do not want to hand sand all the bars on the bike and are afraid of the shot peening sand blasting can cause u might want to look into blasters that use soda, corn cobs or walnut shells in place of sand.some powder coaters even offer these forms of paint stripping. powder will most definitely be the more economical route.

Virtus pre nummis
    I thought that shot peening was used to harden the steel, never heard of it as a method for removing paint?? Sandblasing yes, but I would think that would be rather expensive just for a bike frame. The others I have never heard about but they sound like a good idea. My understanding was that the paint was burned off before they powder coated the frame. My concern would be about superheating the steel might weaken it somewhat but apparently it does not. You sound like you know more about the process than I do! I know that for $55 bucks I sure as hell am not going to sand down that frame I am working on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    err.sorry if i didnt get the words out right....the process of sandblasting on thinner metals can sometimes have a "shotpeening" affect. this is usually evident where a blaster will sandblast the framework of a large automotive panel form the inside( say a hood or a door or a trunklid) and not cover the backside of the skins. what happens is as they are blasting the inner structure the outter skin gets hardned and subsequently shrunk on the molecular level. when the panel has had the blasting finished u can see the outline of the inner structure on the outter skin. BIG HEADACHE. sandblasting can similarly warp thinner lighter metals such as alum frames... thats why i suggested soda, cobb and shells....ive never heard of buring being used... doesn't mean its not possible but im with u on the heat issue. 55 bucks cant go wrong.

the above bikes are sweet... whats kind of frame is the first bike? the springer seat and fork remind me of an old bobber. id rock it

Virtus pre nummis
    I don't know but they all have the cruiser style like the bike I rode as a kid back in the early 60's.

I just picked up an old Specialized Hardrock frame for $20 bucks and thought I might build myself a little 26er to take to my cabin in NM to go pick up my mail with. Hauling my 29er to and from my cabin and Dallas would be a little much every time I went up there. I have never built a bike so I thought this might be a fun project to learn on. The frame looks like hell so it will definitely will need a new paint job. Since I know nothing about building I'm sure I will be able to get a lot of help on here!

Virtus pre nummis
    So here is what I have to work with, what do I need to turn this into a nice little mountain bike?

Seat looks like it came off a kids bike!
    Bottom Bracket is frozen tight.
    No drivetrain, no brakes, no pedals, etc.
    Wheels and tires are pathetic.
    Handlebars and stem don't cut it either.
    Needs a new paint job as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    So here is what I have to work with...
    Needs a new paint job as well!
    Paint is the last of your worries. See if you can get that BB / seatpost / stem out of the frame before you do anything else.

Those old specialized bikes actually rode pretty well for what they were...

LP

Virtus pre nummis
    Thanks Ian, does it stand a chance of making a little runabout bike?

Single Speed Junkie
    Perhaps something similar to this might work. Considering painting the front orange section a granite or vanilla color and the black would become the green or poppy red accordingly. As for the fade on the rear that would most likely become eliminated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint my 29er-orange-black-graphics.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0