paging mikesee- Mtbr.com

Thread: paging mikesee

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

paging mikesee

No snow in VT so I am checking out the Arrowhead 135 results and dreaming of the white stuff. One of the sponsors in Evingson Cycles and they are crafting big wheeled snow bikes. Given your miles on a snow bike what is your take on the ultimate tire for snow travel? 26x3.0+ on a Large Marge or a true 29x2.4 on a Snowcat? The one time in Alaska I heard some folks say the BIG tires are a pain to pedal but I have no experiece with the ride. I would love to hear your two cents.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    No snow in VT so I am checking out the Arrowhead 135 results and dreaming of the white stuff. One of the sponsors in Evingson Cycles and they are crafting big wheeled snow bikes. Given your miles on a snow bike what is your take on the ultimate tire for snow travel? 26x3.0+ on a Large Marge or a true 29x2.4 on a Snowcat? The one time in Alaska I heard some folks say the BIG tires are a pain to pedal but I have no experiece with the ride. I would love to hear your two cents.
    If you've absolutely, positively gotta be able to RIDE (not walk/push), then the big fat fatty fat 3.7 Surly tires on a fat (65-80mm wide) rim are unparalled. Especially if the snow is soft or not oft-traveled. You won't get there fast, but you'll get there. Might have some sore knees from pushing those big meats when you arrive...

If the trail is semi-packed, steep, or promises to be variable (hardpack to sugar), or if you know that there will be miles of walking regardless, give me a 29 x 2.5 (or 2.7 !!) on a ~40mm wide rim any day. You'll walk more than with the fatties (but at about the same speed) and as such will give your legs a break. Once the trail firms up enough where riding is good, you'll be motoring along at ~1mph faster than the fatties. Over the long haul, that's significant.

That help?

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks mike

Good information. The trails you described sound like Minnesoata and here in VT so while it would be fun to ride a bike like the Pugs I will stick with the Monkey. Now all I need is a true 2.4 or 2.5. I am looking forward to seeing your newest snow bike and keeping my fingers crosseed for bigger tires in '06.

Recovering couch patato
    Now that we lack really big tires in 29", back to my Frankentire dreams. Which only BikesOnSnow realized by a 29x2.8 build.
    What 26" tread would be preferable for snow racing to put on a snowcat and Big Apple 2.35" carcass? Remember that a 26" tread will lose ~10% of it's width when being pulled ovre a 29x2.35" carcass. So if a good 2.7-2.8" snow tread exists...might be a cool project for the 29" die-hard.

I'm almost done ridding a BA 2.35" of it's excess rubber. A 26" thread could be stuck/sown on right after the sidewalls were cut off. won't roll too well on pavement obviously, but float and traction should be awesome.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Now that we lack really big tires in 29", back to my Frankentire dreams. Which only BikesOnSnow realized by a 29x2.8 build.
    What 26" tread would be preferable for snow racing to put on a snowcat and Big Apple 2.35" carcass? Remember that a 26" tread will lose ~10% of it's width when being pulled ovre a 29x2.35" carcass. So if a good 2.7-2.8" snow tread exists...might be a cool project for the 29" die-hard.

I'm almost done ridding a BA 2.35" of it's excess rubber. A 26" thread could be stuck/sown on right after the sidewalls were cut off. won't roll too well on pavement obviously, but float and traction should be awesome.

By the time you've finished sewing a 2.35 and 2.5 will be here...

Good luck!

MC

Recovering couch patato
    Honestly I should've been done for years. Truth is, I am really not so technically skilled. And lazier than you can imagine. Especially if it's a project where I'm bound to fail in some way :-)
    Pretty sure it can work decently though, already on a 23mm rim the BA2.35 is really big. Try find a 26" knobby that has 57mm casings in such a narrow rim.
    I was actually hoping to get the 2 parts together some easy way. BikesOnSnow used a couple rivets(sp?). I was thinking about my desk stapler. Then quirt some glue that doesn't harden out, stays flexible. Maybe tubular glue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

prayer beads?

Does this mean a 2.3 and 2.5 for 29ers this year?

Members who have read this thread: 0