paging disc karate monkey owners- Mtbr.com
    I like endos

paging disc karate monkey owners

I'm getting the new monocog, which as far as I can tell has a similar horizontal dropout/disc tab to the KM. My question is, when changing out the back wheels, (specifically I will be changing between at least two gearings) and adjusting for chain stretch, is it difficult to realign the caliper?
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    "..."
    Last edited by WillitsBrand.com; 06-15-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

mtbr member
    Get some non-Mono Hope Minis in 160mm and be done with it. Zero issues in terms of need caliper relo.
    Professional Amateur

Harmonius Wrench

Or Avid mechanicals

Dead simple to set up. I have a KM, by the way, set up with Avid mechs. Super easy to set up.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Another vote for Avid Mechanicals here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I haven't had any trouble doing gear changes on my KM. I am using 160mm martas in the back.

I like endos

I'm still thinking of using some

avid arch rival 40s I've got in my parts bin. Seems like it would be easier in most respects. I don't mind nice Vs anyway.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Nov 2005

Avid mechs here

no issues...but i change gears about 2 times a year, and run sealant to reduce flats....so i dont have to jack with the calipers much.

if i did...it is no trouble...2 bolts and re align/retighten. sort of like what i SHOULD have done when i ran v-brakes. instead i found a "sweet spot" for the v-brake pads...bad idea. it wore the pads and the rim very fast. every time the pads bed in to the rim they wear the surface quickly....once bedded in they contact uniformly and wear the rim/pad slower.

go discs, SS (run a gear that you can use everywhere), and run tubless....that is my vote. I like riding....not working on bikes and changing gears (even a DOS ENO set up).

ride it and love it.

I like endos
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    no issues...but i change gears about 2 times a year, and run sealant to reduce flats....so i dont have to jack with the calipers much.

if i did...it is no trouble...2 bolts and re align/retighten. sort of like what i SHOULD have done when i ran v-brakes. instead i found a "sweet spot" for the v-brake pads...bad idea. it wore the pads and the rim very fast. every time the pads bed in to the rim they wear the surface quickly....once bedded in they contact uniformly and wear the rim/pad slower.

go discs, SS (run a gear that you can use everywhere), and run tubless....that is my vote. I like riding....not working on bikes and changing gears (even a DOS ENO set up).

ride it and love it.
    around here there's no such thing as a gear you can use everywhere. Most of the land is nearly pancake flat but you get into the areas around bluffs on the missouri and that 32x16 is gonna murder you and piss off everybody with you. I run 2 to 1 mostly but in the 2 trails I ride along the river i have to run 32x20.

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Dead simple to set up. I have a KM, by the way, set up with Avid mechs. Super easy to set up.
    I too agree I have ran The Avids on a KM for racing and did several gear changes. once you get the feel it takes about a minute to re-adjust the brake caliper it really is no big deal....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Nov 2005

fair enough

Similar terraine around here (central Missouri). I still ride the 32x20 this time of year and 32x18 when things are smoother and faster. I choose not to ride the flat much, but spin like heck when i do.

Whatever your preference, Disc brakes on a monkey are not much trouble to set up.

so do you run like a 2 or 3 speed rear? seems like a lot of people are going that route these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    around here there's no such thing as a gear you can use everywhere. Most of the land is nearly pancake flat but you get into the areas around bluffs on the missouri and that 32x16 is gonna murder you and piss off everybody with you. I run 2 to 1 mostly but in the 2 trails I ride along the river i have to run 32x20.

Members who have read this thread: 0