Paging ChuckC1971- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Paging ChuckC1971

I am in the process of putting together a 1x9 for endurance races. I am trying to determine the best way to tension the chain. I saw ChuckC's chain guide and think that might be the way to go. I will be putting a new spider on my XTR cranks (952's).

My guestions are:

Who makes that chain guide? (it had only an upper roller)
    Will the chainguide provide enough tension to run the bike SS when I want to?
    How much did it cost?
    Will I need a different BB? (don't think I will)

Thanks,
    Winky
    Attached Images Attached Images

giddy up!

a few answers....

Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    I am in the process of putting together a 1x9 for endurance races. I am trying to determine the best way to tension the chain. I saw ChuckC's chain guide and think that might be the way to go. I will be putting a new spider on my XTR cranks (952's).

My guestions are:

Who makes that chain guide? (it had only an upper roller)
    Will the chainguide provide enough tension to run the bike SS when I want to?
    How much did it cost?
    Will I need a different BB? (don't think I will)

Thanks,
    Winky

The chainguide is made by forge, but they are now out of business....I would use a bachguard and a jump stop on the inside....

horizintal drops. no need for a tensioner...

You shouldn't need a new bb, assuming your chainline is currently correct....

Hope that helps, Brian....
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm putting this on my Trek 8000 (sorry for the 26 content), thus vertical drop-outs. My other option is a jump-stop and a bashring as you said. I would rather have something (like a guide) that will tension the shain enough so that i dno't need a seperate tensioner when I go SS with the bike (I hate tensioners). I love the frame and the way it rides but I really don'tlike gears.

the third option is to go with a traditional chain guide but they are $$ and over-kill IMHO.

Winky

giddy up!

hhmmmmm...

...I would forget about the roller type tensioner all together.....here's why....in order for a roller type guide to tension the chain enough in a horizontal drop SS situation, you will have a TON of drag on the roller, basically you will feel every single link of chain roll over that roller...

I would put a jump stop and bashring on the front, and then get a tensioner for the rear when you decide to ride it as a SS.....

If you really want to ride it as a SS, get an eno hub and call it a day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    I'm putting this on my Trek 8000 (sorry for the 26 content), thus vertical drop-outs. My other option is a jump-stop and a bashring as you said. I would rather have something (like a guide) that will tension the shain enough so that i dno't need a seperate tensioner when I go SS with the bike (I hate tensioners). I love the frame and the way it rides but I really don'tlike gears.

the third option is to go with a traditional chain guide but they are $$ and over-kill IMHO.

Winky
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Disc brakes=no ENO eccentric (for now anyway). Any idea if/when a disc eccentric will be out? I have heard that ENO is working on one.

Thanks for your help, I figured it was a long-shot anyway.

Winky

mtbr member

Go away for a day or two

and you miss something.

Yes, it is made by Forge and they are not selling mtb parts. It is a bit finicky to set up, but works well. The only issue I have had with it is my crankarm bolt on the drive side likes to back out. So, when it goes out far enough, the guide caused the chain to derail to the inside. I guess this is a "me-only" issue. Otherwise, it works well. I would get a Jumpstop and a bashring if I had to do it again and the Forge unit is not available.

Oh, the Forge unit is NOT a roller type of tensioner. In fact, it does not tension at all. It just sits up there and keeps the chain from bouncing off the teeth.