Paging all WI, MN, & IA riders..Decorah Ride- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    [email protected]
    Reputation: 1strongone1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,407

    Paging all WI, MN, & IA riders..Decorah Ride

    Hello all, the trails in Decorah, IA are in great shape and we are planning a group ride for this Saturday, the 11th. I am not exactly sure of the start time, but I think it will be around 4 p.m., so we can get some daylight and night riding in. I will post the official start time as soon as it is decided, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up for planning purposes. Email me if you have any questions or need a place to stay. I have a big house and can easily put up with a group of hell raisers for one night.

    ogarajef at luther dot edu
    Last edited by 1strongone1; 02-08-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

  2. #2
    [email protected]
    Reputation: 1strongone1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,407
    4 P.M. Saturday afternoon meeting at Decorah Bicycles, 101 College Drive.

    This is the official time and meeting place.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

  3. #3
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,023
    GA! Can't make it. I'll be slaving away at work...

    On top of that, I just got back from FL(Boca Raton/Palm Beach area). talk about a hell hole...
    Just a regular guy.

  4. #4
    [email protected]
    Reputation: 1strongone1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    GA! Can't make it. I'll be slaving away at work...

    On top of that, I just got back from FL(Boca Raton/Palm Beach area). talk about a hell hole...
    That's too bad, I was hoping you would be free, next time.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

  5. #5
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1
    Hello all, the trails in Decorah, IA are in great shape and we are planning a group ride for this Saturday, the 11th. I am not exactly sure of the start time, but I think it will be around 4 p.m., so we can get some daylight and night riding in. I will post the official start time as soon as it is decided, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up for planning purposes. Email me if you have any questions or need a place to stay. I have a big house and can easily put up with a group of hell raisers for one night.

    ogarajef at luther dot edu

    I wish I could. But the 14 hour drive from Colorado Springs would be a bit much. I went to college in that town and spent a summer riding those trails as well. I worked for Deke now owner of Oneota River Cycles there in Decorah. He's done a lot for mountain biking in the midwest and for the trail system in Decorah.

    I recommend that anyone who is within a 4 hour drive of Decorah make this one. The trails in Decorah will suprise you, I still contend they are harder than 90% of the trails in Colorado or Moab. And a lot of fun.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

  6. #6
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,254

    Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    I wish I could. But the 14 hour drive from Colorado Springs would be a bit much. I went to college in that town and spent a summer riding those trails as well. I worked for Deke now owner of Oneota River Cycles there in Decorah. He's done a lot for mountain biking in the midwest and for the trail system in Decorah.

    I recommend that anyone who is within a 4 hour drive of Decorah make this one. The trails in Decorah will suprise you, I still contend they are harder than 90% of the trails in Colorado or Moab. And a lot of fun.
    Ditto to your props to Deke and the assesment of the trails up in Decorah. What you may not know is that Deke (Rich Gosen) has a great group of volunteer trail maintenance/ builders and they have added a ton more trail to the system than what you might remember. In fact, I met Deke last Sunday to discuss the Trans Iowa/ Decorah Time Trials plans, and he told me that there is enough trail now to do a 9 mile closed course loop cross country race. He plans on putting that on sometime this summer.

    Decorah has got to be the 29"er/ single speed mecca of Iowa. If anybody is interested, Oneota Cycles and Decorah Cycles has excellent trail maps, and all the best stuff is accessable from right there in town. Both shops support 29"ers, and are really friendly. Decorah is so un-Iowa-like that you wouldn't believe you are in the state!

    To bad I cannot attend this weekends festivities. I have to watch the kids since my wife is working Saturday, but I'll be in Decorah to ride soon. Group ride, or no, it's too good to pass up!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  7. #7
    [email protected]
    Reputation: 1strongone1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks for all of your praise. I am one of those trail workers and it is true that we have added a bunch of new trails in the last couple of years and we have a ton of new sections waiting for the final nod from Park and Rec. We have a newly formed trail group (Decorah Area Human Powered Trails) that will be adding many new trails, as well as overseeing the upkeep of the current ones. We are also developing a map with waypoints that will help unfamiliar riders navigate the trail system. The trails will hopefully get better with every passing season, come on up and enjoy.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

  8. #8
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    941
    Yep I'm familiar with Deke's network of volunteers....I was one of them for 4 1/2 years. I worked for Deke when he owned Decorah Bikes "back in the day" and raced for the shop back when it had one of the top teams in the Midwest. As an aside, one of those former team members is responsible for a lot of the work on the Reba's everyone is riding now. Deke is a great guy, I was down there over Christmas (I'm from Winona, MN-another secret trail mecca) and spent 3-4 hours at the shop. Deke took the time to show me the extensive trail work that has been done via the fancy dancy GPS mapping program he's using to map everything as well as plan new trails. Probably the coolest map of a trail system I've seen to date!

    I miss those trails a lot. I road them nearly every day for those 4 years I was there. I've also raced the Time Trials 7-8 times at least. I may be driving back to do it this year. If I don't drive back for that, I'm coming back for the cross country race if they do a clydesdale class. ;-)
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    On top of that, I just got back from FL(Boca Raton/Palm Beach area). talk about a hell hole...
    That reeks of in-law exposure. I feel for you.

    Unfortunately, I'm booked for a pre-Valentine's event that evening. Sounds like a blast.
    Professional Amateur

  10. #10
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,254

    If you are indeed coming during the TT............

    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Yep I'm familiar with Deke's network of volunteers....I was one of them for 4 1/2 years. I worked for Deke when he owned Decorah Bikes "back in the day" and raced for the shop back when it had one of the top teams in the Midwest. As an aside, one of those former team members is responsible for a lot of the work on the Reba's everyone is riding now. Deke is a great guy, I was down there over Christmas (I'm from Winona, MN-another secret trail mecca) and spent 3-4 hours at the shop. Deke took the time to show me the extensive trail work that has been done via the fancy dancy GPS mapping program he's using to map everything as well as plan new trails. Probably the coolest map of a trail system I've seen to date!

    I miss those trails a lot. I road them nearly every day for those 4 years I was there. I've also raced the Time Trials 7-8 times at least. I may be driving back to do it this year. If I don't drive back for that, I'm coming back for the cross country race if they do a clydesdale class. ;-)
    If you show up for the TT this year (it's on Saturday, by the way) stick around on Sunday to see the Trans Iowa survivors come into town. I'll be MC'ing the awards ceremony at T-Bocks that afternoon at 4pm. If you are there, stop by and say hello!

    Deke does have some crazy mapping skillz! That mapping unit he showed me Sunday was over the top!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  11. #11
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,023
    Awww, the races are finishing on separate days this year?? Dam! I may just ahve to stay the night there or somethin'. Not that its that far from me anyways...(1 hour to the east).
    Just a regular guy.

  12. #12
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,254

    Yes, Decorah TT on Sat. T.I.V2 on Sun.

    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Awww, the races are finishing on separate days this year?? Dam! I may just ahve to stay the night there or somethin'. Not that its that far from me anyways...(1 hour to the east).
    Deke said that he'd gotten tons of requests to run the T.T. on Saturday so that folks could stay over and ride the other trails on Sunday. In fact, there is going to be organized rides on Sunday, showing off all the new trails, and the classic stuff. Stick around on Sunday, ride all the Decorah trails, and then chill out at T-Bocks to see what the riders look like after 350 miles of Trans Iowa!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.