Overdrive in Nasty Brown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Overdrive in Nasty Brown

So I'm looking at getting the Overdrive, and unfortunately, REI only has it in the nasty brown color, but at a great price of 479. Amazon has the 2011 black one for 499, but I won't get the same service, etc as if I bought it from REI.
    http://www.rei.com/product/813911/di...10-special-buy

Any quick way to get rid of that nasty brown? Any big differences between the 2010 and '11?

mtbr member
    sandpaper and krylon flat black? just sayin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    sandpaper and krylon flat black? just sayin.
    ya, its an option, would be sad to do such a thing to a brand new bike...

or is poo brown the new cool color? lol

wondering if I could someone get some stupid decals that cover it up...

mtbr member
    i kinda like it......some white would look nice in there....

like a white stem/bars, some white rims or spokes =)....maybe even paint the fork white (easier and cheaper than painting the whole frame imo).

Example- stealing this from the pic thread and from Notinuse =) I like this color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by notinuse
    I know what you mean...

this is a beautiful color combination... i think ill paint the cog to look like this...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What a mess... called the diamondback rep, he said the produced a overdrive comp in late 2010 with that brown frame... problem is, its not listed on any catalog, etc cause it was produced late. then i call rei, and they tell me in fact that the bike has the standard overdrive components, and NOT the comp model. What a mess.. I was hoping I would get a comp but pay standard pricing... there must have been some where deal w/ DB and rei, where they just slapped normal componenets on the brown frame and sold them to them. Oh , by the way, they got 63 20" in stock, and they only got (3) 22" in stock.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Just stop it right now

Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb
    ya, its an option, would be sad to do such a thing to a brand new bike...

or is poo brown the new cool color? lol

wondering if I could someone get some stupid decals that cover it up...
    It's a budget bicycle not a rare Picasso painting to impress your friends with. Just buy it, ride the hell out of it and enjoy it. Brown is the perfect color for a DIRT bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you know how HARD I have to ride my DB overdrive to change the color from black to dirt brown?
    buy it and consider yourself ahead of the curve

mtbr member
    have to agree...when life hands you lemons, you ride the yellow BIKE =)

id ride a rainbow colored bike if it fit well and i enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Try Sport Chalet ? That's where I got my Overdrive. Love it. It comes in the offwhite with tan color
    2011 Diamondback Trace "Sport"
    2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For $20 more you can get the black model at Dick's Sporting Goods. Support after the sale should probably be on par with REI (i.e. not a LBS).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Another John
    Try Sport Chalet ? That's where I got my Overdrive. Love it. It comes in the offwhite with tan color
    Ya, I just test drove the black 2011 at my local sports chalet. they have it for $550 + CA tax (about 55 bucks) so then I'm up at like 605, but I might be able to get them to price match sports authority, who has it for 499.

I live near San Jose, CA and we don't have any dicks up here, there is maybe one going in at Modesto, not sure when it is opening though...

I still gotta pay tax at REI/sports chalet/dicks. I DO NOT have to pay tax at amazon, saves me about 50 bucks.

I know these stores do not even come close to a LBS, but out of the 3, I would have to rate them with REI being the best, then sports chalet, then sports authority.

By going with amazon, i get the black, and I save money.... I dont' know how 'valuable' the support of REI is really going to be, besides a free tune up after break in... which I could pay to have done anyways...once that tune up is over, its like what benefit am i really getting? there might be a better 'relationship' with a LBS, but in terms of these box stores, I dont think there is much advantage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ya, I just test drove the black 2011 at my local sports chalet. they have it for $550 + CA tax (about 55 bucks) so then I'm up at like 605, but I might be able to get them to price match sports authority, who has it for 499.

I live near San Jose, CA and we don't have any dicks up here, there is maybe one going in at Modesto, not sure when it is opening though...

I still gotta pay tax at REI/sports chalet/dicks. I DO NOT have to pay tax at amazon, saves me about 50 bucks.

I know these stores do not even come close to a LBS, but out of the 3, I would have to rate them with REI being the best, then sports chalet, then sports authority.

By going with amazon, i get the black, and I save money.... I dont' know how 'valuable' the support of REI is really going to be, besides a free tune up after break in... which I could pay to have done anyways...once that tune up is over, its like what benefit am i really getting? there might be a better 'relationship' with a LBS, but in terms of these box stores, I dont think there is much advantage.
    I started a thread about my experience with LBS in this thread here...

What started with a goal to support the small shops changed to going only where I get the best deals and service and I've been happier at Sport Chalet than most LBS. This includes Vacaville to Marin County although I did find an awesome LBS in San Francisco.

Anyways, I saw the gorgeous black Overdrive at the Vacaville Sport Chalet. If you can't find that one, let me know and I can check if they still have it, if you want to drive that far.

Good luck

mtbr member
    It's amazing how things like color can grow on you once you've had lots of fun times on the bike. I really really didn't like the "baby poo" yellow-brown of my Inbred before I bought it or for quite a while afterwards, but I've had the frame for two and a half years now and I think I'd miss the unique baby diarrhea color if I had it repainted. Such is love

mxt
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Buy the bike you like even if it doesn't come with LBS support. Over time you'll find that tweaking your own bike is more fun and not that much harder than you thought. But if you settle for the ugly color, you're always going to remember that.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Good to know

I live near San Jose, CA and we don't have any dicks up here, .
    That San Jose is completely dickless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    It's amazing how things like color can grow on you once you've had lots of fun times on the bike. I really really didn't like the "baby poo" yellow-brown of my Inbred before I bought it or for quite a while afterwards, but I've had the frame for two and a half years now and I think I'd miss the unique baby diarrhea color if I had it repainted. Such is love
    happened to my best buddy on this

he HATED the color at first but got a great deal on the bike, he now says every bike he ever buys (if available) he would prefer this color... and it really looks nice on the trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, just pulled the trigger on the black 2011 bike from amazon. 499, no tax, no shipping. well, actually i paid 3.99 for overnight shipping will have it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    nice man...now get out there and ride the hell out of it =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    congrats!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Another John
    congrats!
    Thanks Jon, I sent you a PM about how you got yours for 399??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Way to go. You'll enjoy the Overdrive. I just picked one up last month.

Members who have read this thread: 0