Origin 8 carbon fork brake bosses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Origin 8 carbon fork brake bosses

Anyone with a origin 8 carbon fork able to safely remove the canti bosses? I have one on order. Is no biggie if they cannot be removed, but as I am using the 29" version with a 26" wheel, they will be useless. TIA ~joe

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    they are a clamped on piece. you could move them down for 26" or take then off easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you do this on your own? Was their any marks or anything in the spot they were before. I mean, do they clear coat it before the bosses are installed, or after? Thanks

mtbr member
    I took the bosses of my Origin 8 CF fork. No marks or anything like that. Just two allen bolts to remove the bosses (they are just clamped onto the fork). You will not be able to tell a difference with them off.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    I hear that those forks implode the minute you pay for them. LOL! It'll be here soon Joe! Ready for Saturday's freeze fest.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, it might implode, but then ill just blame the dog lol

Saterday should be a good one. Might take the cross bike, not sure yet.

Back to the fork... I may just move them down for use with a 26" wheel, as this is what this is going on, just needed the a-c length. Probably not. I just hope your guys cup remover will work. Mine is too old and worn out to work on the 1.5 headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do you have a frame designed for a 26" wheel? Why use the wrong fork? Are you trying to slacked all the angles? Turn a XC bike into a AM bike? Why why why???

mtbr member
    I've used the regular cup remover, just worked it around the lip of the cup if it doesn't lock. Done it a bunch of times on a bunch of C'dales. I may make Friday a sick day, I got some new hardware coming that I would like to install before Saturday.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @yogii- Yes, have a 26" wheeled bike. The A-C on the Lever 2 fork is 465mm for version 2. The current fork on the bike (Deuce 100mm Air) is 470ish, so in reality, I'm steeping the HT angle a bit. The Version 1 (80mm corrected for 26" frames) is 428mm. Which would mess the geo hella up. Version 2 is 80mm corrected for 29" frames, but the rake is 43mm on both. It'll work, but the bosses will be in the wrong place to run V's on a 26 wheel. May run a 29" wheel at times for a 69 for sh!ts and giggles. I posted here, before the "better posted here..." cops jump in, because this fork is used by more 29er riders more than 26" riders. SO I thought you guys would have the best chances at answering my specific question.

@ Mike- You should, and have a install party at the shop. I have some new X-0 shifters ready I might throw on this bike too.

Members who have read this thread: 0