dmo
    mtbr member

Orbea Rallon or wait for Devinci Spartan 29?

Both are split pivot designs....i cant imagine the Spartan giving up much if at all to the Rallon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes.

Very hard to buy a bad bike these days!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This could be my thread... add the Bold Unplugged to that list

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can't comment on the Devinci but I picked up a Rallon about 6 months ago and I am still completely stoked on it. Had never even considered Orbea before but so glad that I pulled the trigger. Now I am even considering the new Oiz for my short travel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tick tock tick tock. any moment now....

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn????

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Pivot Firebird29

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pedaling Devinci Bikes feels like a DW link bike. Assuming the spartan is the same. And a lifetime warranty, I'd choose it. But can you wait?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wait to get the bike you really want. i'm sure the Rallon will be updated in the next year or so, the SC Nomad 29 will be out next year and the Sentinel 2.0 should be here and much much better by 2021.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    SC Nomad 29??

If I keep on waiting on what could potentionally come, I will never gonna be able to buy a new bike...

I am waiting for the Spartan 29 and thats it.

mtbr member
    New Spartan 29 with GX can be ordered now with the XO version available September 6th. I'm putting my Troy up for sale as we speak.

mtbr member
    I have an occam and im constantly blown away by it. If I wanted more travel, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rallon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Wheeler View Post
    New Spartan 29 with GX can be ordered now with the XO version available September 6th. I'm putting my Troy up for sale as we speak.
    Do yoi know if the geo is the same as the 27.5 or is it more progressiv?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Cannot say enough great things about my Rallon. I absolutely love it! Tried it today for the first time in the lower setting and it got even better! I came from an Occam AM and that was pretty good but the Rallon is another level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Do yoi know if the geo is the same as the 27.5 or is it more progressiv?
    Still no details but I'll bet we will see a change from the 27.5. 65 and reduced offset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I hope they get a bit slacker and a bit longer. But to br honest I guess it will be the same as the 27.5 if not steeper...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Now YETI 150- 29er if you got the green.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have an occam and im constantly blown away by it. If I wanted more travel, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rallon.
    You think the same would apply to the Oiz for xc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    if you don't mind buying used, this is half price Oiz:
    https://maine.craigslist.org/bik/d/2...675083664.html

I'd be all over that if I hadn't just splurged on a Rocky Mntn.

mtbr member
    Rallon will be a better All day bike for pedaling out long miles while still being super capable going down.

Although no-one can say for sure how the Spartan29 will be concerning effeciency going up It'll surely be one of the best if not the very best Down.

I look at it this way....The Rallon is a bike I've ridden on a 50 mile ride and climbed 7k in a single day and it was just fine with every element I threw at it all at a 30 pound weight with burly tires. I 'd say this bike is 60/40 Gravity / Pedal

The Spartan 29 will be an absolute war horse of a burly bike just like all devinci bike are so I guess your looking at 32 pounds and it'll be more progressive in it's suspension nature so I think It'll be catered 70/30 Gravity / Pedal

One other option is the new Yeti SB150 which I think in the end will be the best choice out of everything in the LT Segment.

The Transition Sentinel and Pivot FB29 are to much on the AM/DH spectrum and the Ripmo is more close to riding like a Rallon with a better pedal platform but not as DH focused since it has a HA of 65.9 degrees.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Rallon will be a better All day bike for pedaling out long miles while still being super capable going down.

Although no-one can say for sure how the Spartan29 will be concerning effeciency going up It'll surely be one of the best if not the very best Down.

I look at it this way....The Rallon is a bike I've ridden on a 50 mile ride and climbed 7k in a single day and it was just fine with every element I threw at it all at a 30 pound weight with burly tires. I 'd say this bike is 60/40 Gravity / Pedal

The Spartan 29 will be an absolute war horse of a burly bike just like all devinci bike are so I guess your looking at 32 pounds and it'll be more progressive in it's suspension nature so I think It'll be catered 70/30 Gravity / Pedal

One other option is the new Yeti SB150 which I think in the end will be the best choice out of everything in the LT Segment.

The Transition Sentinel and Pivot FB29 are to much on the AM/DH spectrum and the Ripmo is more close to riding like a Rallon with a better pedal platform but not as DH focused since it has a HA of 65.9 degrees.
    Cool. Thanks.

Ill be trail riding with it all most all the time so that helps. My last Ibis, a Mojo3, i just never got along with. I used to have an older yeti, SB95, but they are too pricey now. How about a HT LT or Mach5.5 (i know that's 27.5)?

Your post makes me lean towards the Rallon now. You think itll be ok for trail riding? I usually ride alone so im not trying to keep up with anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Cool. Thanks.

Ill be trail riding with it all most all the time so that helps. My last Ibis, a Mojo3, i just never got along with. I used to have an older yeti, SB95, but they are too pricey now. How about a HT LT or Mach5.5 (i know that's 27.5)?

Your post makes me lean towards the Rallon now. You think itll be ok for trail riding? I usually ride alone so im not trying to keep up with anyone.

Itíll be a much better choice for trail riding just because I know what direction Devinci is going with the Spartan 29 since they already have the new Troy 29 which is geared as an in between do everything Bike and itíll be great at that.

Hereís the big Positives of the Rallon against almost everything else in its class.

It can be built to weigh between 28.5 - 33 pounds depending on your budget and needs.

The 2 position Clevis adjust 65.5 HA / 65 HA both feel considerably different which is a great thing. I use almost primarily the high setting 65.5 with the slightly higher BB because it pedals so good.

The bike has great fit across all the sizes so itís easy to tailor your body dimensions to get the feel you desire and the seat tube is low so you can almost always use a 170mm Dropper

The chain stays and wheel base numbers are very modern without going overboard being to long nor to short so the bike is very balanced and rides more nimble that most current LT 29íer

The 44mm offset fork makes riding over the front end of the Rallon rewarding because you gain so much more traction in turns and feel like being Riding more active attacking features and not hanging off the back end.

You can run either Air or Coil depending on riding conditions and style. The bike has a pretty flat leverage curve but usually going up 25-50 pounds on spring weight works well for using a coil on the bike.

The bike is built very solidly and itís Finnish is top notch. Paint is well done and durable and a full size water bottle fits no problem with a side loading cage.

The Spartan 29 will be an amazing bike but I expect the WB to be 25-30mm longer and the HA to be 64.5 / 65 so a bit more the wrestle with up climbs

****If you keep your eyes peeled on Jenson.com you might be able to score a good deal if they have any inventory from 2018 left in your size. I could see you saving 20-25% which would be a killer deal.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Itíll be a much better choice for trail riding just because I know what direction Devinci is going with the Spartan 29 since they already have the new Troy 29 which is geared as an in between do everything Bike and itíll be great at that.

Hereís the big Positives of the Rallon against almost everything else in its class.

It can be built to weigh between 28.5 - 33 pounds depending on your budget and needs.

The 2 position Clevis adjust 65.5 HA / 65 HA both feel considerably different which is a great thing. I use almost primarily the high setting 65.5 with the slightly higher BB because it pedals so good.

The bike has great fit across all the sizes so itís easy to tailor your body dimensions to get the feel you desire and the seat tube is low so you can almost always use a 170mm Dropper

The chain stays and wheel base numbers are very modern without going overboard being to long nor to short so the bike is very balanced and rides more nimble that most current LT 29íer

The 44mm offset fork makes riding over the front end of the Rallon rewarding because you gain so much more traction in turns and feel like being Riding more active attacking features and not hanging off the back end.

You can run either Air or Coil depending on riding conditions and style. The bike has a pretty flat leverage curve but usually going up 25-50 pounds on spring weight works well for using a coil on the bike.

The bike is built very solidly and itís Finnish is top notch. Paint is well done and durable and a full size water bottle fits no problem with a side loading cage.

The Spartan 29 will be an amazing bike but I expect the WB to be 25-30mm longer and the HA to be 64.5 / 65 so a bit more the wrestle with up climbs

****If you keep your eyes peeled on Jenson.com you might be able to score a good deal if they have any inventory from 2018 left in your size. I could see you saving 20-25% which would be a killer deal.
    Ok, heres my dilemma....i have a Spot Mayhem 140/130mm 29er that i use for all trail riding even xc. I also race xc maybe a half dozen times a year on a 100/100mm xc bike. I could either get a Oiz trail or something like for endurance xc, epic rides etc. Or get a bike like the rallon for pedalling up hills and bombing down, pushing my skills (meager as they are)...

mtbr member
    Ok, heres my dilemma....i have a Spot Mayhem 140/130mm 29er that i use for all trail riding even xc. I also race xc maybe a half dozen times a year on a 100/100mm xc bike. I could either get a Oiz trail or something like for endurance xc, epic rides etc. Or get a bike like the rallon for pedalling up hills and bombing down, pushing my skills (meager as they are)...

Your definitely in a tough dilema with what you describe finding the perfect tool to do multiple jobs really really well.

You already own a Spot Mayhem which is a good middle ground bike

I feel the Rallon may be a bit to much bike for anything close to endurance racing where as it's still a whole lotta suspension.

I was trying to recently make a decision for a do everything bike to add to my stable as I split time living here in the USA and also in Colombia. My Yeti SB5.5 is the kind of bike that can adapt very well pretty much anywhere but it's fit isn't currently doing it for me since I moved to riding the Rallon and Sentinel and I'm enjoying the added reach and stability the forward geometry grants me.

I yesterday purchased an Ibis Ripmo and I think that bike will feel that spectrum very well as It's roomier and will fit me better all the while pedal great and also bail my butt out in Gnarly conditions and I have my build at 29 pounds ready to rip and I could easily drop another 1-1.5 pounds if I dropped more coin.

I was also looking at the soon to be released Yeti SB130 65.5 HA and 1230 WB size Large but I'd rather have the extra 15mm of rear travel and the slightly steeper head angle and it's costing me less money.

I know you said you had a Mojo3 that you didn't jive with very well but the Ripmo is the first bike where Ibis has nailed everything spot on.

I still feel the Rallon is the better bike if you wan't to get rowdy and ride steep and blown out trails and still be able to peddle it all day but the Ripmo would be more efficient as a pure trail bike and maybe be closer to being what you want.

Maybe look at the Pivot 429 Trail or the Intense Primer for a more XC/Capable Trail bike and use a 140mm fork
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

dmo
    mtbr member
    Your definitely in a tough dilema with what you describe finding the perfect tool to do multiple jobs really really well.

You already own a Spot Mayhem which is a good middle ground bike

I feel the Rallon may be a bit to much bike for anything close to endurance racing where as it's still a whole lotta suspension.

I was trying to recently make a decision for a do everything bike to add to my stable as I split time living here in the USA and also in Colombia. My Yeti SB5.5 is the kind of bike that can adapt very well pretty much anywhere but it's fit isn't currently doing it for me since I moved to riding the Rallon and Sentinel and I'm enjoying the added reach and stability the forward geometry grants me.

I yesterday purchased an Ibis Ripmo and I think that bike will feel that spectrum very well as It's roomier and will fit me better all the while pedal great and also bail my butt out in Gnarly conditions and I have my build at 29 pounds ready to rip and I could easily drop another 1-1.5 pounds if I dropped more coin.

I was also looking at the soon to be released Yeti SB130 65.5 HA and 1230 WB size Large but I'd rather have the extra 15mm of rear travel and the slightly steeper head angle and it's costing me less money.

I know you said you had a Mojo3 that you didn't jive with very well but the Ripmo is the first bike where Ibis has nailed everything spot on.

I still feel the Rallon is the better bike if you wan't to get rowdy and ride steep and blown out trails and still be able to peddle it all day but the Ripmo would be more efficient as a pure trail bike and maybe be closer to being what you want.

Maybe look at the Pivot 429 Trail or the Intense Primer for a more XC/Capable Trail bike and use a 140mm fork
    I wouldnt use the Rallon or any similar bike as an endurance xc bike. Either i get a new ex bike or a Rallon, Ripmo or something similar. I dont do any lift accessed riding so would have to pedal it up and on flats before i hit the downs. Finding bikes to demo unfortunately is tough for me

mtbr member
    I wouldnt use the Rallon or any similar bike as an endurance xc bike. Either i get a new ex bike or a Rallon, Ripmo or something similar. I dont do any lift accessed riding so would have to pedal it up and on flats before i hit the downs. Finding bikes to demo unfortunately is tough for me

I'd say the Rallon would be a great choice and it'll make you a better rider because it'll will instill you with even more confidence to push your limits and still be fun on the more mellow terrain.

Message me anytime if I can help.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

The Spartan 29 will be an amazing bike but I expect the WB to be 25-30mm longer and the HA to be 64.5 / 65 so a bit more the wrestle with up climbs.
    I hope everything you wrote here will be absolutely true. I dont know for shure but somehow I believe Devinci wont change the geo much from the 27.5 Spartan. I doubt the HA will be below 65 and I dont see the WB increase a lot. Why do I think that?

On Bikemag they have a new summer bible of biketest with 5 LT 29ers. And one last bike is still under embargo. But in the testvideo of the Firebird 29 they state, that the Devinci 29 has the second shortest chainstay plus they say the Spartan 29 feels poppy. So these two small hints show that the bike under embargo is the 29er Spartan. Plus do Ąsmall CSď not lead to a longer WB and a bike that feels poppy isnt very stable I guess...

I hope I am wrong and you are right, because I am VERY keen on the new Spartan 29 and I have a light Remedy 9.9 2019 frameset on my way for trail duties, so the Spartan 29er MUST be an absolut bomber DH, dont care if its 32lbs, it just needs to rip the descents!

Well we will see, but not for another month, as It will probably be released at Finale EWS.

EDIT: I rode the Rallon and loved it and also consider it. But as I will have the Remedy, I think I could go even burlier. I Consider the SB150 if the Spartan is not how you described it it will be. Whyte G170 works 29er would be the third choice...

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'd say the Rallon would be a great choice and it'll make you a better rider because it'll will instill you with even more confidence to push your limits and still be fun on the more mellow terrain.

Message me anytime if I can help.
    Does your rallon have the dpx2 or x2 or even dx2? I like air shocks for my style of riding. I have a x2 on my mayhem just becuase that bike takes alot of adjustment to get the suspension just right. Do you think the dpx2 on the Rallon would be fine or is the x2 better? Btw im 150-155 in full kit depending on how much ive eaten recently.

mtbr member
    Does your rallon have the dpx2 or x2 or even dx2? I like air shocks for my style of riding. I have a x2 on my mayhem just becuase that bike takes alot of adjustment to get the suspension just right. Do you think the dpx2 on the Rallon would be fine or is the x2 better? Btw im 150-155 in full kit depending on how much ive eaten recently.

I have the DPX2 which came stock and also a DHX2 coil. I generally use the DPX2 80% of my rides just because of the weight savings and being able to keep the bike a little more poppy with reducing Sag 3-5%

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have the DPX2 which came stock and also a DHX2 coil. I generally use the DPX2 80% of my rides just because of the weight savings and being able to keep the bike a little more poppy with reducing Sag 3-5%
    What rate coil do you have on the DHX and what weight are you? I have a 450lb spring on my Push shock and I'm thinking I might need to go up a rate, I'm 88kgs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    What rate coil do you have on the DHX and what weight are you? I have a 450lb spring on my Push shock and I'm thinking I might need to go up a rate, I'm 88kgs.
    Iím 205 full kit and Iím on a #475 Fox SLS spring

mtbr member
    The Transition Sentinel and Pivot FB29 are to much on the AM/DH spectrum.
    Are you on an alloy or carbon Sentinel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Are you on an alloy or carbon Sentinel?
    I own an Alloy Sentinel but I've ridden the Carbon Sentinel for about 50 miles so I know how it pedals and the effects of being 3 pounds lighter than the Aluminum I bought.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

The Rallon is a sweet bike and for a 150mm travel bike designed for Enduro racing it is tolerable on XC trails. But honestly it takes a pretty aggressive trail for the Rallon to find it's sweet spot.

Really depends on your local riding area. If your rides are long climbs and long descents the Rallon it is a good bike.

Could you race a Rallon for XC, yes but you would be significantly slower and probably so fried from climbing on it that you wouldn't really enjoy the DHs.

The new Oiz TR is a super sweet bike. On most normal descents it is a fast or faster then a Rallon.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

dmo
    mtbr member
    I would never race xc on the rallon. I would ride it on rocky xc trails in new england. I ride an insurgent on trails and it does great with all that travel. So if something pedals up well, then i can enjoy the descending too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you are into split pivot bikes, you should consider a Trek Slash. I've done a number of big rides and been happy. In high, it is much more an all day bike than what it let's on. In low there is a very discernible difference and it'll happily run away from you if you don't take control. If you do, however, it'll do anything you ask of it.

mtbr member
    Spartan embargo to be lifted "next week".

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It will have a slightly longer wheelbase, steeper seatangle but the same reach. And of course superboost.
    Edit: compared to the 27.5 version
    Last edited by Foxy87; 09-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Wheeler View Post
    Spartan embargo to be lifted "next week".
    I guess you forgot to ad a Ąsď to week...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    I guess you forgot to ad a Ąsď to week...
    Grrrr, should have known better than to believe our Devinci rep. Interbike? EWS?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    EWS FinaleLigure

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Django 29.