Orbea to Deliver First Carbon 29-Incher- Mtbr.com
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Orbea to Deliver First Carbon 29-Incher

Orbea to Deliver First Carbon 29-Incher

JANUARY 30, 2006 --

LITTLE ROCK, AR (BRAIN)—Orbea USA is following up on last year’s sold out aluminum 29er with the world’s first carbon monocoque 29-inch mountain bikes.

“With the introduction of the Alma 29 we are making our mark on the U.S. mountain bike market. We wanted to create a bike unlike anything else. You get the benefit of the bigger wheels, but it steers quickly, is ultra-stable and is an unbelievable climber,” said Tony Karklins, Orbea USA’s managing director.

The Alma 29 eliminates the one big complaint of 29-inch mountain bikes—weight. Using a one-piece carbon fiber monocoque front triangle and high modulus carbon, Orbea was able to create a frame that weighs only 2.9 pounds (1300 grams). And using steeper geometry, radical shaping on the downtube and a unique chainstay configuration, Orbea is able to create a bike that is laterally stiff, quick handling and comfortable.

“Our athletes helped drive this project. Racers have seen how fast and comfortable 29ers can be, and now we can give them a bike that is ultra-competitive from a weight standpoint. 29ers are taking off, and we knew we could make a bike that rides better and faster than anything else out there,” Karklins said.

Orbea will deliver complete Alma 29ers with XT, XTR and XO specs starting at $3,000. The company is still evaluating options for the front fork and wheelset. Orbea will officially unveil the bike at the Sea Otter Classic, Apr. 6-9.</paragraph_body> </paragraph_body>
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Recovering couch patato
    WOOOOW!!!!

I have seen the possibilities at Orbea for year, but this hits me by surprise!

I can totally see it now, that's just soooo sexy! And influenced by RACERS even?? Most don't even want to try their sponsor's 29" bikes, in races at least.

Smart thing to offer them as complete bikes only, they'll be bought anyway.

I wonder if they will make it in a 21" again, although they sold out of the first batches easily, they did scratch that size while our sizing poll shows a big chunk of 29" riders is XL.

Thanks for the scoop!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think I just made my Oh! face.........

Recovering couch patato
    Where did you get that Dirtboy? It's not on Google yet...

Pic of the 26" version, 1200g they say. Wonder for which size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm actually drooling here

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    What a beauty! This envious poor old man with kids in college is hoping the tires rub and the frames crack. Can't wait to check it out at Sea Otter.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Hummm... Nathan.. was this the bike..???
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Recovering couch patato
    Nathan mentioned a carbon 29er to me as well, but it was not this one that time. Actually that one had been all over this forum already, we got spammed silly with it.

The Duuude, man...
    My local shop has been stocking and riding 29er Carbon Hardtails for about 4 months now.

They acted like they didn't want it advertised, so I purposely kept it on the downlow. They are made 1 at a time by hand from a very well respected brand name bicycle company.

I will ask them again today if I can let the cat out of the bag, and if so, I will try to get a picture up ASAP.

Meanwhile, if you want to inquire yourself, the shop's # is 479.582.2001 ask for Barry.

Frame is supposedly around 2.5 pounds, and apparently rides like a dream.

More later...

Dec 2005

wow.

my my my. will this get Trek going on the OCLV 29er?
    let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    What a beauty! This envious poor old man with kids in college is hoping the tires rub and the frames crack. Can't wait to check it out at Sea Otter.

Recovering couch patato
    If Trek doesn't follow, they might as well just hand over the fastest growing 29" market over to Orbea. They're killing them with road bikes anyway, especially now Lance doesn't ride anymore.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    My local shop has been stocking and riding 29er Carbon Hardtails for about 4 months now.

They acted like they didn't want it advertised, so I purposely kept it on the downlow. They are made 1 at a time by hand from a very well respected brand name bicycle company.

I will ask them again today if I can let the cat out of the bag, and if so, I will try to get a picture up ASAP.

Meanwhile, if you want to inquire yourself, the shop's # is 479.582.2001 ask for Barry.

More later...
    Ah... that 'splains it then.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member

A Orbea FS 29er would be killer...

This would be a killer race bike, Orbea 29er FS

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If Trek doesn't follow, they might as well just hand over the fastest growing 29" market over to Orbea. They're killing them with road bikes anyway, especially now Lance doesn't ride anymore.

Recovering couch patato
    I doubt that design is 29" compatible in less than their non-existing 21" size. 29"ers are tighter in the rear...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01

More later...
    I don't know if I'd call Trimble a "brand name bicycle company" (but they made some cool bikes in the 80's), and I understand that they're more in the 3.1 to 3.5 pound range, but it is a US hand-made carbon-fibre 29'er frame and at around $1,800 not too crazy expensive. I wonder what the Orbea will cost, and whether it's made in Spain or Taiwan.
    Last edited by IronDad; 01-30-2006 at 10:02 AM.

jl
    climb
    I wonder if any of the LunaChix are going to be riding the 29er???

JANUARY 25, 2006 --

LITTLE ROCK, AR (BRAIN)—Orbea’s sponsorship deal with Luna will outfit their riders with Orbea’s Alma and Oiz mountain bikes, Orca road bikes and Ordu TT bikes for the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

“This is the perfect partnership for us,” said Tony Karklins, Orbea USA’s managing director. “The LUNA athletes are the ideal athletes to showcase our new Alma carbon mountain frame and Ordu carbon tri frame. These women really showcase our commitment to women’s cycling in North America.”

The mountain bike team will ride the Alma carbon monocoque hardtail and Oiz carbon-linkage full suspension bikes. The Ordu triathlon and time trial frame is designed for maximum speed with an ultra-light weight and maximum stiffness.

Shonny Vanlandingham, Katarina Hanusova, Jimena Florit and Georgia Gould will defend their NORBA National titles and race selected World Cup and X-Terra events in 2006. Alison Dunlap will attend events conducting women’s rides and clinics and Marla Streb will preserve the gravity aspect of the program.

The Luna’s Pro Triathlon Team will attend national events including the Ironman World Championships, Wildflower, and The Escape from Alcatraz Triathlons. The team includes Terra Castro, Linda Gallo and Katya Meyers. The LUNA cross team roster has not been finalized for 2006.</paragraph_body>

</paragraph_body>
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    At 6'6" each I've asked Wicks and Trebon why they don't race 29'ers and they said they're heavier and they don't feel they accelerate or climb as well as 26'ers... although the Orbea is lighter than other 29'ers, it's not as light as the smaller 26" frames and forks. Other than Shonny, the Luna girls are over a foot shorter and put out way less power so I doubt you'll see them on 29'ers...

Recovering couch patato
    Well, that's pro riders for you! Sure they FEEL slower to accelerate, but if that's the best argument you can come up with as a pro racer for whom each millisecond counts, you have not been paying enough attention in fysics class, or your stopwatch for that matter. I suggest Kona to make some 24/24" bikes for them. I mean, same size wheels as frame height. Will fit like a glove and accelerate like a rocket! It's gonna be a real killer race tool to make the next step for them towards Beijing gold. It's the ultimate loophole in the UCI rules, 24" wheels ARE allowed!

I love the forward appoach by Orbea, who not only listen to pro racers, but especially those that think forward. I've never come across a carbon hardtail that fits me, but I can imagine it to feel just awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    HUH? Proof? Are you saying that Orbea is selling more carbon road bikes than Trek???

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i have had a couple of carbon

Well, that's pro riders for you! Sure they FEEL slower to accelerate, but if that's the best argument you can come up with as a pro racer for whom each millisecond counts, you have not been paying enough attention in fysics class, or your stopwatch for that matter. I suggest Kona to make some 24/24" bikes for them. I mean, same size wheels as frame height. Will fit like a glove and accelerate like a rocket! It's gonna be a real killer race tool to make the next step for them towards Beijing gold. It's the ultimate loophole in the UCI rules, 24" wheels ARE allowed!

I love the forward appoach by Orbea, who not only listen to pro racers, but especially those that think forward. I've never come across a carbon hardtail that fits me, but I can imagine it to feel just awesome.

bikes and to tell you the truth you feel more from a good high volume tubeless tire
    than you do from a frame material. people get sucked up into all the hype over
    carbon frames. now if one comes out in a size L that is under 3 lbs i will be excited
    but if someome comes out with an aluminum size L that is under 3 lbs that is what
    i would buy. tires make the most difference in feel in my personal opinion

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

It's like the 650 vs. 700 argument on tri bikes... pros and cons to both.

The problem with 24" MTB wheels is that they don't roll over obstacles as well as 26" wheels, which in turn don't roll over obstacles as well as 29" wheels...

mtbr member
    I really like the looks of this frame, but not sure about the way that derailleur hanger/dropout looks like it attaches to it.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Cool news all the way around.
    But, I must admit that I'm more excited about Nathan's "unveiling" of the US carbon builder!

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

"(BRAIN)" is Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.

Confusing marketing hype? Devil's advocate time...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    ...but it steers quickly, is ultra-stable and is an unbelievable climber,” said Tony Karklins, Orbea USA’s managing director.
    Steers quickly while also "ultra stable"?
    Can these really co-exist?

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Bored
    Is the rear drop out adjustable?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    That is the way I describe my Matt Chester.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    The combi happens more often with 29"ers. Nimbleness without the unwarned facegrinds.

Search this forum for "carbon frame" and the age-old news should come right up on the handmade carbon usa carbon hardtails :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The chainstay is formed around the dropout--another advantage of the monocoque process. You would have to destroy the chainstay to have an issue with the dropout (which does have a replaceable derailleur hanger).

There definitely is great ride quality with the 26" Alma and I expect that to be shared with the big-wheel version. As with using 29" wheels, you just have to bring an open mind...

Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo Largo
    The chainstay is formed around the dropout--another advantage of the monocoque process. You would have to destroy the chainstay to have an issue with the dropout (which does have a replaceable derailleur hanger).

There definitely is great ride quality with the 26" Alma and I expect that to be shared with the big-wheel version. As with using 29" wheels, you just have to bring an open mind...

Matt
    That sounds pretty good, thanks, great first post.

mtbr member

Absolutely !

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    A steep HA and big wheels will do the trick.

mtbr member
    The whole "top secret" Trimble thing is anything but and has cost some of the good people involved alot of money it seems.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=29+trimble

The Orbea would be the first production carbon bike and that is a good thing I have to agree that dropout arrangement does look strange though.
    Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-30-2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: f'ed up
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    The Orbea would not be the "first" carbon 29"er. Mrazek has been making them for several years now and the whole "top secret" Trimble thing is anything but and has cost some of the good people involved alot of money it seems.

However the Orbea would be the first production carbon bike and that is a good thing I have to agree that dropout arrangement does look strange though.
    Carbon Mrazek, when did they make that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    You know something that was totally my bad, for some reason I had it stuck in my head that Mrazeks were carbon but upon review I see that they are alloy. OOps. Will edit my post.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    looks like mrazek is pushing the dubs these days?

mtbr member
    oops, thought that was just a picture of the bike, their whole website is one picture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    You know something that was totally my bad, for some reason I had it stuck in my head that Mrazeks were carbon but upon review I see that they are alloy. OOps. Will edit my post.
    Actually I was hoping that you knew something that I didn't and they were making carbon 29'ers.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Hmm... Little Rock, eh?

Coincidence?

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?mI...istory&taxId=8

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo Largo

Matt

Cassoulet forever !

26" model, Size 20 without collar

Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Busted...

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Hmm... Little Rock, eh?

Coincidence?

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?mI...istory&taxId=8
    Aosty,

Good eye. Yes, Little Rock...yes, Orbea. I wasn't trying to hide my ties to Orbea, but I wasn't going to advertise it because I can't give too many details yet. It's been hard keeping the lid on the carbon 29er because we all ride the aluminum 29er and we are very fired up about the new carbon rig--will add an interesting option to the growing pool of quality big wheel products. Look for a working version at Sea Otter and expect delivery as an early 07 product. It is sweet...

P.S. The photo of the 26" Alma is one of the early prototypes we look to Interbike Outdoor Demo (easy to spot the orange decals)--might account for some extra material

Keep the big wheels turnin', Matt

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    I really like the looks of this frame, but not sure about the way that derailleur hanger/dropout looks like it attaches to it.

I hear ya, that was one of the first things I noticed. The dropout looks like it was an after-thought. That piece is not exactly eye-candy. Looks breakable too. But then what do I know.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0