2 Attachment(s)
    2mellow taking pics of me taking pics of him shooting pics of the Alma 29
    Attachment 155737

Dropout
    Attachment 155738
  • 04-07-2006
    endure26
    Shiggy

What do you make of those dropouts? Pretty unusual looking from here. Unlike any of the carbon offerings I've seen.
  • 04-07-2006
    Rootberry
    It's a really unique looking frame.. I was under the impression that it would be exactly like the 26" carbon frame. I hope some racers actually jump on this frame, as it looks well suited for it!
  • 04-07-2006
    shiggy
    It looks pretty much the same as the 26" frame though their tech guy says it was re-engineered for the bigger wheels. The stays are reshaped for tire and f. derailleur clearance with 445mm (?) CSL.

They had 4-6 built up Alma 29ers in the booth.
  • 04-07-2006
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by endure26
    Shiggy

What do you make of those dropouts? Pretty unusual looking from here. Unlike any of the carbon offerings I've seen.

I trust their engineering. I heard part of the presentation by their tech guy. The frame design is well research, tested and built.

He also mentioned they are wanted to put their Euro Pro XC team on the 29er.
  • 04-07-2006
    OneGearGuy
    Nice! That thing looks fast as fock.

I love the ingenuity of shaping the frame like a fender and the fresh dropout idea. Throw a leg over one and let us know if it's the F1 of niners! :D
    You are the best for getting all the photos and info to us.

Deeply indebted,
    OGG :rolleyes:
  • 04-07-2006
    GlowBoy
    Wow, very nice! Too bad they won't make one in my size. You know, so I could at least entertain a realistic fantasy about buying one.
  • 04-07-2006
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    ...Too bad they won't make one in my size...

Yet. Give them time.
  • 04-07-2006
    GlowBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yet. Give them time.

Thanks for keeping my dream alive, Shig.
  • 04-07-2006
    Quasi
    Is it available as a frame? I would install a Pace fork, FSA Team Issue cranks, Zipp 303 Clincher Wheelset. And then I would fly right by the rangers with their radar guns. :D
  • 04-08-2006
    brant
    Quote:

The down tube is shaped to act (somewhat) as a fender

Is it shaped *to* act as a fender, or is it shaped *and happens* to act as a fender??
  • 04-08-2006
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Is it shaped *to* act as a fender, or is it shaped *and happens* to act as a fender??

Paraphrasing, he said it was shaped - within the structural requirements - to act as a minimalist fender because they could. The underside is slightly concave with a very small lip at the sides.
  • 04-08-2006
    brant
    Quote:

Paraphrasing, he said it was shaped - within the structural requirements - to act as a minimalist fender because they could. The underside is slightly concave with a very small lip at the sides.

Interesting.
    I wouldn't want things hitting the carbon if I could avoid it - though I guess a kevlar ply would limit damage.
  • 04-08-2006
    threesixeight
    Thanks Shiggy. You have brought us great photos. Keep up the good work. I really like that the option to use V-Brakes is there as well. I'll bet that this thing will be next to impossible to get.
  • 04-08-2006
    GlowBoy
    Quote:

Hmm. Not very aero. :D :D
  • 04-08-2006
    eurorider
    WOW! That is one fine frame:cool:

That is definitely the F1 frame of the 29" world.

Does anyone know what the frame will go for?
  • 04-08-2006
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by threesixeight
    Thanks Shiggy. You have brought us great photos. Keep up the good work. I really like that the option to use V-Brakes is there as well. I'll bet that this thing will be next to impossible to get.

Word is the production frames will be disc only
  • 04-08-2006
    rensho
    when do we see them for sale? They plan to sell as frame only as well?

Nice pix.
  • 04-12-2007
    rideronthestorm
    Just purchased the 26 wheel version
    I just got the 26 wheel version from sage cycles, give them a call, I believe they have one in stock because they asked if I wanted the a 29'er or 26 version.
  • 04-12-2007
    NAHTNOJ
    It's been out for about nine months. Are there minor differences with this frame? I rode one a bit in the fall, FAST!!!!!!!! And the carbon was pretty forgiving too, the shape of the rear end allows for good compliance. Stock weight was about 24.5 lbs, but it got into the high 22s with Stans wheels.
  • 04-13-2007
    Motivated
    Why only Medium?
    29" wheels naturally appeal to larger riders, yet they only make this sweet bike in Medium. Why?? When will they expand the size range upward.

I also noticed they only list the 29er on the USA site. Are 29" bikes not popular in Europe?

Quote:

It is a very different looking and cool shape
    Attachment 155733
    Attachment 155734

• 04-13-2007
    //M5Racer
    They've had one of these in stock at Bike Source in Kansas City for a couple of months now. It's a great looking, light, awesome bike....that's $4700 and change :eek:
  • 03-17-2009
    Kbertibis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Orbea Alma 29er pic
    Just born. Joins a steel Wily 29er in the stable, which may collect some dust for a little awhile.....