mtbr member

Orange Stage 4 build

Posting this up in case anyone is interested in this model as there is little available information on the internet.

The reason I purchased this frame is that I am done (for now) running XC. My friend left his face on a tree this fall and I decided to dial it back at 47 y/o.

This summer I ran two 2018 Epics, one singlespeed, one geared. After blowing through 3 shocks and waiting on Specialized, I bought a new Santa Cruz Blur XC. That was a nice bike, but nowhere near as fast as the Epics, but much more stable. The shock had some side to side play and upon contacting Santa Cruz, they told me to contact FOX. I was a little pissed so I sold that frame too.

So, coming off those XC race bikes this is a lighter parts transfer build (could be lighter) with no dropper. I ride SE Michigan singletrack and the benefits of a dropper are debatable for this area. Add 1 lb if you run a dropper.

The frame is very nice. If you don't like welds, move on. If they don't bother you, it's a nice piece.

The powdercoat is also excellent. No scratches, dings, etc. upon unboxing. Frame was shipped directly to my door and packaged well.

Decals, well, are decals. Decent enough, but who knows long term. At distance it does look like they are painted on though so I'm happy enough with that.

Bare Large frame is 2.96 Kg.
    Orange Stage 4 build-20181119_111153.jpg

Frame with thru axle and seat collar is 3.04 kg
    Orange Stage 4 build-20181119_111032.jpg

Final build with pedals is 10.61 Kg
    Orange Stage 4 build-20181123_111249.jpg

A couple of notes
    1. The cable routing is OK, but nothing great. I usually insert my brake hose and rear derailleur cable in foam, but there was no way that was going to happen due to the size of the ports and where they are located.

2. As you can see in the below, there is no rubber grommet for the exit to the rear brake. Just hose on bare metal. I don't think it will rub, but I will have to check between rides, or shove something between the contact point. Piece of tape or foam.
    Orange Stage 4 build-20181123_110338.jpg

The Cane Creek EE Wings crank set are nice, but I really don't think they are worth the money to be honest. I did also snap the head off one of the chainring bolts and now will be looking for a method to pull out the threaded part. There is a note that comes in the box that says 6Nm but I was nowhere near that point. Buy at your own discretion.

By the looks of the weather I won't get a ride in anytime soon but will report back when I can.

If the bike rides well, I will transfer over some lighter parts that I have laying around and get it below the 23 lb. mark. But for right now, it's decent enough.

Orange Stage 4 build-20181123_112332.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice bike!As far as the rubber grommet problem is concerned get some 3M Mastic Electrical Tape,great stuff for that sort of thing and frame protection around the stays area.I also use it to keep my cables from rubbing on the BB and slicing through.Oh,and for the broken bolt get one of those drill bits that are made for extracting broken bolts.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    First ride this afternoon. Flat XC trail. 13.5 miles. 500 feet elevation gain. 59 minutes total. Trail was slick with west leaves and some mud. My best run here was 50 minutes in May in ideal conditions while drafting 3 others. Average run is 53-54 minutes in the summer solo effort.

Bike pedals well. I'm coming off my 19.5 lb Santa Cruz Blur so comparably it wasn't as fast. But as a good trail bike it's so much smoother and stable.

Being the first ride my setup obviously wasn't dialed in. My saddle height was too low, and my stem too short.

Also, I need to shorten the cables. The way they exit the frame allows my knee to hit the when pedaling out of the saddle. No pedal bob for out of saddle climbing with the shock in middle setting. I did not run it fully open as there was no reason on this trail.

Pretty happy overall. Snow is coming and I don't know when the next ride will be.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Got in a long second ride this morning. 22.5 miles in 28 degrees with crusty ground with a ton of climbing.

The comfort and handling instills so much confidence. This is the best turning bike I have owned.

Climbing can be a bit sluggish at times but their is no pedal bob. I think this is due more to me being used to much lighter bikes. Coming off of the Blur, it feels similar in efficiency, yet behind the Epic.

Having had a lockout on the Blur I never reached for the climb switch on the Orange. The anti-squat allows efficient out of the saddle climbing.

The Cane Creek EE Wings crank are super stiff and I'm starting to change my mind about them. However, I still don't think they are worth $1,000.

I ended up buying Giant cable grommets from Jenson to help reposition the cable/hose closer to the frame.

I also increased the stem length to 50 mm which I had on the Blur.

The Fox 34 SC is the 51mm offset with remote.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This look's nice frame and build. it is light and simple too, IMO.
    If i remember correct you had Evolink 110, do you still have it and how differend they feel?
    Only consenred evorider🤨

mtbr member
    Yep.
    The 110 Evolink was a great bike, but I just couldn't get around the weight.

I ride with a bunch of XC maniacs and pedaling that 28 pounds for 2 hours was too much for me.

I also had to run a 28T chainring to get it to pedal without any bob. That killed any top end and would spin out at times.

One other thing was that the Pole frame was anodized and chipped easily. Not a deal killer but kind of annoying.
    by Silentfoe