mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Opinions wanted.. slash vs instinct bc

Have narrowed it down to these two bikes. Slash 9.8 or bc c90.

Is it hard to go wrong with either? I cant demo short of pedalling in a carpark. Both in size large felt fine.

Coming off a 2017 remedy.

The slacker head angle looks nice on the slash. How significant will this be coming from 65.5?

My priority is speed and monster trucking for easier enduro races

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Go with Slash.

Both great bikes, but Slash is more of a racebike while the BC s more of a long legged Trailbike (according to all the reviews). I have ridden both, BC only one short ride though. Both great bikes.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Slash rolls fast and can smash whatever's in it's path, especially w/ dh rubber. I run an AssGuy up front and 2.5 DD Aggressor in the back for burly rides and it's AMAZING.

I actually measure 64.5 HA on my Slash in low. It requires more precise cornering technique vs my previous 27.5 Slash. You need to really get over the front end and lean the bike over. Make sure bars are on the low side, it'll help. I run 15mm rise and no spacers under the stem. When you get used to it, it RIPS.

Only downside is I'd recommend buying a Fox X2 for it and keeping the RS as a backup. I'd also check what cranks come with it, if they're still spec'ing 175s I'd get 170s. Also not sure if the 9.8 comes with carbon rims... if so I'd go alum, sell them and get DT XM481s.

If I were buying tomorrow I'd seriously consider the Aluminum Slash and upgrading a few parts. I love my 9.9, but imo it's not worth the price. The Alum Slash costs the same as the 9.9 frame only. I think the 9.8 has alum chainstays anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Slash rolls fast and can smash whatever's in it's path, especially w/ dh rubber. I run an AssGuy up front and 2.5 DD Aggressor in the back for burly rides and it's AMAZING.

I actually measure 64.5 HA on my Slash in low. It requires more precise cornering technique vs my previous 27.5 Slash. You need to really get over the front end and lean the bike over. Make sure bars are on the low side, it'll help. I run 15mm rise and no spacers under the stem. When you get used to it, it RIPS.

Only downside is I'd recommend buying a Fox X2 for it and keeping the RS as a backup. I'd also check what cranks come with it, if they're still spec'ing 175s I'd get 170s. Also not sure if the 9.8 comes with carbon rims... if so I'd go alum, sell them and get DT XM481s.

If I were buying tomorrow I'd seriously consider the Aluminum Slash and upgrading a few parts. I love my 9.9, but imo it's not worth the price. The Alum Slash costs the same as the 9.9 frame only. I think the 9.8 has alum chainstays anyways.
    all that

Quote Originally Posted by leem85 View Post
    Have narrowed it down to these two bikes. Slash 9.8 or bc c90.

Is it hard to go wrong with either? I cant demo short of pedalling in a carpark. Both in size large felt fine.

Coming off a 2017 remedy.

The slacker head angle looks nice on the slash. How significant will this be coming from 65.5?

My priority is speed and monster trucking for easier enduro races

I had a 2018 9.8 Slash in 19.5. Bike was a monster on the DH. There was nothing it couldn't handle. Did take some effort in riding it. Loved to be ridden hard.

I had a X2 on mine. Was awesome if there was more DH than climbing. The stock shock was more efficient on flats and climbing though but to be fair. My X2 needed to be tuned very badly

I'd pick the Slash.
    I only sold mine to get a Fuel due to not needed that much travel on what I am riding
    Too Many .